As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Claimants to the [chat]

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Trace wrote: »
    anytime someone goes "France WW2 lol"

I just go

"And not to long before that a little Corsican guy used French units as the core of his army and conquered the majority of the world that mattered at that time."
    I was actually talking about the last 15-20 years. WW2 is not recent. Except to @Chanus

as far as great big general wars go, WW2 is the most recent.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Eddy you left out the Years of the Four/Five/Six Emperors in Rome.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    He wasn't the only guy who thought of inventive ways to use a bunch of recruits

a section mate walked by a captain and a lieutenant playing chess with an unfortunate troop of recruits as the pieces

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Suriko wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    How did Napoleon get the support of the French people and become emperor after the French mobs did the whole 'kill all emperors' thing less than a decade prior?

Winning wars
    Bringing the (war) booty
    Fucking up Austria (the hatred of Marie Antoinette was partly because she was Austrian, they really did not like Austria)
    Good economy from enhanced trade networks within the empire, plus generous policies towards liberalisation of industry (before he got too big for his boots and tried to blockade English goods)
    Hilariously rigged referendums on his decisions (the plebiscite over whether he should become emperor was something like 95% in favour., even within Germanic areas he'd conquered)

Edit: He also ran an extensive network of secret police, had dissidents frequently killed, utilised propaganda mills, and repressed any conquered states that so much as looked at him a bit funny. As laudible as his attitudes towards common law, infrastructure, and freeing of many germanic areas from the feudal system was, he was pretty much the leader of a harsh military junta in all but name.

The French still hold onto old hatreds to this day.

Just a few decades ago their president referred to The Asshole of the World

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I wonder if Napoleon would have eventually relented with some of that stuff.

Like.

Was Napoleon a Bad Dude? You could make a decent argument that France's wars of aggression were in defense of France because of how the entirety of Europe wanted to break it.

• Options
    I've never gotten the impression that napoleon is thought of as some benevolent character

history seems to view him in a "motherfucker got style. Also, balls." kind of light

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Napoleons was said to have ridden a Newfoundland to shore when his ship sank

• Options
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Napoleons was said to have ridden a Newfoundland to shore when his ship sank

and his feet still didn't touch the ground

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2015
    Napoleon was a monster (and a military genius). His wars utterly ravaged large parts of Europe and his army committed appalling atrocities in Spain and Portugal.

Maybe he would have eased off on the appalling bits once he'd conquered everywhere isn't a compelling argument for me. That is essentially what Dr Doom says.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    Napoleon was a monster (and a military genius). His wars utterly ravaged large parts of Europe and his army committed appalling atrocities in Spain and Portugal.

Maybe he would have eased off on the appalling bits once he'd conquered everywhere isn't a compelling argument for me. That is essentially what Dr Doom says.

Yes, but if he didn't go on a conquering spree there would have been large swaths of present day Germany still operating under the feudal system.

Which, let's be honest, isn't any better than a military junta.

• Options
    The discussion of whether or not someone from history was bad isn't a very interesting one at all

unless it's a discussion of how absurdly bad they were like say, Leopold II

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

Yes, but if he didn't go on a conquering spree there would have been large swaths of present day Germany still operating under the feudal system.

well that's a huge fucking assumption

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    and was Napoleon really operating outside of the norm for the times as regards the suppression of political opponents?

Like can you point to any one action that he did that another leader at the time didn't?

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular

The completely nonsensical and hate-driven blockade of English goods, and the subsequent idiotic war against Russia over their breaking of the treaty to enforce it, largely seem to prove that Napoleon wasn't going to ever relax his aggressive foreign policy. If anything, the total opposite.

But given the propaganda and containment tactics used against France during the same time, it's pretty much shitty empire versus shitty empire. Nobody comes out looking any good.

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »

well that's a huge fucking assumption

well not until the modern day.

But no the feudal system was still very entrenched at that time. Especially in central and eastern Europe.

• Options
    and was Napoleon really operating outside of the norm for the times as regards the suppression of political opponents?

Like can you point to any one action that he did that another leader at the time didn't?

No one else's army was marching through Europe at the time killing everyone and stealing everything, so I guess that would go in the 'Napoleon Only' box.

• Options
    europe would have looked so different hadn't napoleon conquered most of it

who knows, the Knights of Malta might still rule it, and we could still have a Venetian Republic.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    I wonder whether any alt hist scenario has France realistically holding on to Algeria

aRkpc.gif
  • Options

No one else's army was marching through Europe at the time killing everyone and stealing everything, so I guess that would go in the 'Napoleon Only' box.

well, everyone's else armies, chasing him back again

there's no shame in picking a fight with everybody and losing, when they have to make serious effort to beat you.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ronya wrote: »
    I wonder whether any alt hist scenario has France realistically holding on to Algeria

alternatively, paratroopers dropping on Paris would have been pretty interesting

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    What’s threatening about Fury Road is the idea that when the earth burns, women might not actually want men to protect them. Men might, in fact, be precisely the thing they are trying to survive.

Hmmm

japan on
  • Options

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_First_Coalition
    On 21 January the revolutionary government executed Louis XVI after a trial.[15] This united all European governments, including Spain, Naples, and the Netherlands against the Revolution. France declared war against Britain and the Netherlands on 1 February 1793 and soon afterwards against Spain. In the course of the year 1793 the Empire, the kings of Portugal and Naples and the grand-duke of Tuscany declared war against France. Thus the First Coalition was formed

They were to busy trying to kill the French and steal from them.

• Options
    edited May 2015

there's no shame in picking a fight with everybody and losing, when they have to make serious effort to beat you.

Nope. The French Army plundered everything in sight and butchered local populations. The British army paid for stuff, hanged looters and didn't tend to massacre whole villages in Spain as punishment for local guerrillas. The French army were like locusts in the Iberian peninsula.

There is absolute shame in picking a fight with everyone if that fight ends up killing thousands upon thousands of people just so you can indulge your ego and wish for a big parade.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    I'm going to follow this FIFA RICO case every fucking day

• Options
    japan wrote: »
    What’s threatening about Fury Road is the idea that when the earth burns, women might not actually want men to protect them. Men might, in fact, be precisely the thing they are trying to survive.

Hmmm

This kind of thing almost always makes me go "Interesting point, but if you're actually talking about what they feel threatened by it's probably a far simpler answer"

which in this case is, charlize theron is large and in charge and kinda more badass than max, these feminists are ruining our movies

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

Nope. The French Army plundered everything in sight and butchered local populations. The British army paid for stuff, hanged looters and didn't tend to massacre whole villages as punishment for local guerrillas. The French army were like locusts in the Iberian peninsula.

There is absolute shame in picking a fight with everyone if that fight ends up killing thousands upon thousands of people just so you can indulge your ego and wish for a big parade.

I don't have it in me to be sour over napoleon

it is kind of in the past

norway starved during the wars, because of you guys, by the way :P

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    "New online data terror powers planned" says headline.

Yes, tell me more of this "data terror".

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Tyrion should marry Dany, forging an alliance between the Targs and the Lannisters, and then wreck everything.

*reaches for fanfiction pen*

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    The one great and terrible innovation of Revolutionary/Napoleonic France was that the nation's entire population could be mobilised to support the war effort. This leads to the Total War seen in the US Civil War and the World Wars.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Data terror is a great term. Is that the new word for how services like Facebook make money?

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    What if Tyrion were to acquire a large and stylish hat?

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    The FIFA case made me grin when I heard it this morning.

I want the whole damn thing revamped and probably the entire leadership arrested. But this is a start.

Thing is corrupt. It would fit perfectly in China or Russia.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I'm not sour over Napoleon. I'm opposed to saying hmm maybe he wasn't so bad and did he really do anything that awful because the answer is clearly yes he was pretty awful.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    "New online data terror powers planned" says headline.

Yes, tell me more of this "data terror".

I think they mean cable news.

• Options
    It will be quite the cloud over Sepp Blatter's fifth term.

And yes, I expect him not to reconsider his position and remain in power unless he is arrested too.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »

Hmmm

mass rape as part of ethnic warfare is a RL phenomenon in central africa and quite recently in the former yugoslavia

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »
    Tyrion should marry Dany, forging an alliance between the Targs and the Lannisters, and then wreck everything.

*reaches for fanfiction pen*
    I think Tyrion has put himself well outside any position to ally anyone with the lannisters.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

Nope. The French Army plundered everything in sight and butchered local populations. The British army paid for stuff, hanged looters and didn't tend to massacre whole villages as punishment for local guerrillas. The French army were like locusts in the Iberian peninsula.

Obviously spoken by someone who has never been feted by a big parade

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    I'm fairly certain that if we look not all that far into any of our nation's military pasts, we gonna find some shameful stuff, no matter where we're from

So while there are some definite villains of history, I can't necessarily condemn imperialism on its own

Now, the means of establishing that empire can definitely be condemned, but again we'd probably have a hard time finding an innocent party in that discussion too >_>

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

I don't have it in me to be sour over napoleon

it is kind of in the past

norway starved during the wars, because of you guys, by the way :P

Hey, hey, hey.

The French just have different ideas of what the average body weight should be. It was an honest mistake!

This discussion has been closed.