As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Godzilla and other, less important Kaiju

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    If you were watching an English dub, I can't really speak for that.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Wasn't it "Thanks you guys!" ?

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    It was the sub! The Saradian characters speak English with Japanese subtitles
    And it was definitely kiss because that's the quote on his character page on the wiki

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    And it was definitely kiss because that's the quote on his character page on the wiki

My favourite bit is the guy with a Delorean.

It's called out or anything, he just happens to have one.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Kiss off you twit!

?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    isn't the expression "piss off"

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    KISS OFF, ZEKKAN

• Options
    I mean that is an expression but it's not what he says
    I've googled it and multiple writeups have it as "kiss you guys" in the Japanese version which was changed to "thanks, you guys" in the English dub
    I don't know why I'm so set on this but this is what I've got to work with here

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    KISS OFF, ZEKKAN

I'll kiss your goddamn face off

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I'm in the theater. I'll see yall on the other side.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Good movie. Very weird. More later.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I'm seeing it tomorrow, pretty surprised it's getting a screening here. Most movies that have limited or one day runs just skip Australia entirely.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    I'm seeing it tomorrow, pretty surprised it's getting a screening here. Most movies that have limited or one day runs just skip Australia entirely.

oh damn it

• Options
    An audience repeatedly chanting "USA USA!" during a Godzilla premiere has me thinking that somewhere in our educational system we are really failing on the concept of metaphors.

More thoughts when I get home.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    An audience repeatedly chanting "USA USA!" during a Godzilla premiere has me thinking that somewhere in our educational system we are really failing on the concept of metaphors.

Why does this country constantly feel the need to embarass me by association?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Was this during the stealth bomber bit or when they're talking about the nuking later on? I was thinking the US bombers over Tokyo was a bit on the nose.

Though my audience seemed to be mostly Godzilla fans, so they were mainly applauding for things like the fire breath scene, bit more understandable even though come on guys he just torched like the whole city.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Just got out of this. I'll say this much, boy you could tell it was done by the Evangelion team.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Oh hey Godzilla thread. I haven't seen a single godzilla film outside the 2014 Cranston/Watanabe one, so I wasn't really sure what to expect going into this.
    I enjoyed it for the most part. The first 30 minutes or so were hilarious, just some great political satire + creepy monster literally rolling around the city. The fire breath scene was amazing. Ending felt a little.. restrained? I'm not sure, it just felt a bit anticlimactic after that huge, city destroying mega laser. It'd be interesting to see what they would have done with more budget plus a better effects studio.
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Just got out of this. I'll say this much, boy you could tell it was done by the Evangelion team.

I started cackling like a mad man when Literally Eva Music started playing during one of the planning sessions (plus a remixed version later!), people around me probably thought I was nuts.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Oh yeah, definitely.
    Aside from the obvious bits where they're reusing the music, the whole "swarm of stuff fired onto Godzilla all at once to use up his defenses felt a whole lot like the ...Ramiel? fight at the end of 1.0.

• Options
    I liked it all the same.

• Options
    Now Anno has to get that last Eva film out and be done with the series finally.

• Options
    JayKaos wrote: »

Was this during the stealth bomber bit or when they're talking about the nuking later on? I was thinking the US bombers over Tokyo was a bit on the nose.

Though my audience seemed to be mostly Godzilla fans, so they were mainly applauding for things like the fire breath scene, bit more understandable even though come on guys he just torched like the whole city.

The former. And yeah. The audience was pretty awful outside of that too though. Like a chart they were looking at had someone shout HAHAH IT LOOKS LIKE A PENIS. And that was about as intelligent as it got. Basically I think the audience wanted to MST3K this movie. Which if this was like a Final Wars style movie, have at.

But it very decidedly wasn't.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Other thoughts!
    -Had read beforehand that a lot of it was meant to be a critique of the way Fukushima was handled, and you could definitely see that a lot in the entire initial administration. Up till Godzilla goes back in the water the whole thing felt like someone had shoved a monster movie into a West Wing script and they just ran with it. Agricultural guy turning out to be competent and able to help orchestrate everything in the end was a nice surprise.
    -Felt a bit more anime than most Godzilla movies do? Partially because of the transformations funky powers but also the whole Yasugi group and the way all that happened.
    -Also, firebreath scene was great - the kinda stuttering from the smoke to a bit of fire to focussing it into a direct blast just looked so cooool. Shooting more beams from every other available orifice seemed like a bit much but also looked neat
    -Seriously they're just gonna build the city back up around a frozen corpse that everybody's afraid to touch? I mean... throw a tarp over it at least.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »

The former. And yeah. The audience was pretty awful outside of that too though. Like a chart they were looking at had someone shout HAHAH IT LOOKS LIKE A PENIS. And that was about as intelligent as it got. Basically I think the audience wanted to MST3K this movie. Which if this was like a Final Wars style movie, have at.

But it very decidedly wasn't.

Whoof, that sounds awful. I'm glad I saw it at the Drafthouse, everyone was really into it and it's nice knowing that if anyone starts acting like an asshole they're gonna get kicked out with no refund.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    So my general non spoiler thoughts. I've never seen Evangelion or much anime, so I don't have any of that as a reference point. Annnnd bad audience aside.

I loved this movie. It's definitely in my upper tier of Godzilla movies. But I can see most folks not being down with it at all. I think the fact that Godzilla is probably in this less than the Legendary movie is gunna be quite a huge hinderance for a lot of folks. It's definitely not in the mold of the monster punching variety. Hell it's not in the mold of practically any Godzilla movie prior.

Instead of an analogy for the horrors of nuclear war they went for a political farce on bureaucracy. Effectively making a Japanese version of The Thick of It where they are dealing with a Godzilla instead of a gaffe. It was probably one of the most clever takes and scripts for the series yet. And aside from dodgy effects (which Godzilla) I think it was heads and tails the best shot film in the series (even the Legendary Godzilla) It felt real in a way that no other film has quite attempted. At points it nearly felt like a real time documentary of the political backrooms during a godzilla attack.

And while Godzilla's appearances are sparse, they are so bizarre and unnerving it keeps reminding you that the stakes are quite high.

I think it does drag a bit in the middle, and a few sub plots could be dropped for a tighter narrative, but ultimately it's pretty audacious in a lot of regards. It's certainly not for everyone, but it is absolutely for me.

Spoilery thoughts
    Godzilla was just a big ol Pokemon evolving and getting new powers.

-also I felt the last shot might be effectively setting up sequels if they go that route. When they talk about Godzilla even potentially growing wings, I figured the monsters frozen coming out of his tail could evolve into the kaiju stable.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Why would you go to a movie at a not alamo or other non talking/phone banning establishment?

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Why would you go to a movie at a not alamo or other non talking/phone banning establishment?

This is not always an option
    Most likely not, in fact

• Options

I live in the middle of a state that doesn't have one.

In fact the only indie theaters period are three to four hours away from me.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Something else I REALLY dug
    Basically the two Godzilla evolutions having different versions the Godzilla March. The first having it from the very first Gojira and the second having it from either late Showa or Hesei.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Something else I REALLY dug
    Basically the two Godzilla evolutions having different versions the Godzilla March. The first having it from the very first Gojira and the second having it from either late Showa or Hesei.
    I feel like they did the same thing with the roars as well, I think the first big roar was the sort of lower early one and by the end they were using the usual classic roar. They did a great job of reusing the classic themes - using the different marches, and then the military theme for the big climactic operation.

I'm gonna have to dig up the soundtrack tomorrow and listen through it, see if there's anything I missed.

• Options
    The sound effects in general seemed like they were all picked up from previous movies. Which ruled.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I'll be watching this in 90 minutes. Will report in with thoughts when I get back...

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Went and saw it, I can sum it up as "two enormous plodding catastrophes collide head on; Godzilla and the Japanese government".
    It was an excellently pit together movie for what it was trying to do. It had almost nothing to do with the usual view of a Godzilla movie, aka dudes in rubber suits flailing at each other while knocking over models.
    It was an ultra serious disaster movie without the disaster movie cliches, Godzilla being the cause of the destruction was almost incidental to the movie.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    This was a pretty good movie! I need time to digest it.

Act 1 was weirdly hilarious.

The movie felt sort of like what we would have gotten if Godzilla had been originally conceived of today, rather than in the early 50s.

It felt really, aggressively nationalistic to me in places, but the kind of fluffy nationalism you can take home to your mom and she won't quite get why your new movie's talking so much about those particular political subjects and renegotiating treaties through shows of force and extra-legal competence
    The musical callbacks were very good; the best wasn't the Godzilla themes, though, it was the classic JDF theme getting play when the final assault on Godzilla was launched

Also the movie feels like a deconstruction of Godzilla movies in a lot of ways; in almost every other Toho-produced movie, the JDF is a bastion of hyper-organized, extremely fast-responding super science kaiju-buster weapons; it felt almost like the director said "Yeah that's bullshit let's think about how that would actually work"

Did keep the super science, though, so it's not like the whole thing got tossed, but that's part and parcel of the kind of movie this was

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I enjoyed this movie way more than I expected. I thought I'd just enjoy getting to watch it in theaters as a fun little experience, but it was actually pretty incredible.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    I went a bit wild on a Shin Godzilla doodle.

Shin-GodzillaS.jpg

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Dude that is dope, Gustav.

• Options
    Thanks! Some days you just gotta draw a Godzilla.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    It's in my top 3 Godzilla movies, I think, and definitely has the strongest identity of any Godzilla movie outside of the first one

Only two other things about it I forgot to mention:

1. This movie feels way longer than two hours. Like, it is brutal. A lot happens in it, how can it feel that slow?
    2. It is the first time I've ever wanted the cast to stop speaking English. The native English speakers were all acting poorly, and the woman they had playing Patterson didn't sell the idea of being fluent, much less a native speaker. And the way she'd swap between English and Japanese multiple times in one scene, while talking to people who primarily speak Japanese, when she sounds like Japanese is the language she's most comfortable in, was a hard sell I don't think the movie quite managed. It was weirdly hilarious that we'd have the English dialogue, then Japanese subtitles, then English subtitles of the Japanese subtitles.

Also the dialogue was hard anime and in places didn't read well in English, but I don't know how well that does in Japanese so I can't judge it too harshly

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Agreed save for one thing
    The whole gojira / godzilla thing wouldn't have worked as well without english speakers involved and I loved that whole bit.