As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Completely unprepared for [chat]

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    I didn't see Incredibles mentioned earlier. That holds up decently.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Attack of the Clones does not have a driving narrative. The protagonists travel around watching and reacting to decisions that have already been made.

It is one of the dumbest most plotless movies I've ever seen.

The fucking title doesn't even make sense!

It could be skipped entirely and nothing would be lost.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    so how much screen time should i allow my child while he's being circumcised

That depends

Do you want him to end up with autism or do you want him to end up as a social pariah since everyone else is on devices

Whatever you do you lose

son of a bitch

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    y'all know that rogue one has an 85% on RT and the marvel films have made like 11 billion bucks, right

someone not liking those things isn't exactly hammering you with their opinion from every direction

Just for this

Because my ability to process went out the window long ago

You're first in the fight line

You get Prime Shirtless Narwhal

You get the best of me, Chu

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    IDK rogue one feels like a really well put together fan film with a 60 million dollar budget, but I dig that shit, so it's "for me"?

If I had to rank them I'd put it at below episode 7, which is just below the OT

override367 on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    I have no allies here. Some of you don't like zootopia and some of you don't like iron man 3 and you're not always the same people.

but allies can have differences...

ludious, it takes all kinds

You don't like the original Star Wars trilogy. What did you think I forgot you agent provocateur

nobody likes the OT. they just pretend to like it because of nerd pressure or because they can't bear to let go of what they liked as children, wrapped in their own nostalgia like a kitten in yarn

in fact i believe nobody has even watched the OT in over ten years, they've just pretended to

I watched the OT for the first time when I was 18ish. I enjoyed it, but what I didn't get is how those films inspired the EU and the obsession over the films that followed in that series. Of all the cinema in the world, how is it that series that generates such an obsession? If I internalized that more clearly I would not have been blindsided later as an entire degenerate culture developed around trailers and teaser shots of Marvel's universe.

I think SW tends to win on the whole obsessive culture because it literally was the creator of that type of culture and monetization of movies through external things such as the toys and such.

SW, even if you don't like, quiet literally defined Hollywood and movies for decades after.

On the other points of discussion I liked Rogue One. It had some editing issues though.

It was miles ahead of the prequels which I don't think people remember just how bad they were till you watch them again.

ESB is still my favorite though. With ANH/TFA tied for second and RotJ in third followed by Rogue One.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Oh are we arguing about Rogue One again
    Look. Rogue one tickled my nuts, but what I really needed it to do was crank my hog without pinching.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Sometimes I forget Attack of the Clones exists.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    Rogue One is the best Star Wars movie after ESB.

TFA is somwhere infront of the Prequels thanks to the actors.

TFA had a worse script than most prequels, except clone wars which I can't remember a single scene about.

Clone Wars was the one with Yoda light sabering Dooku. Just Yoda jumping around and spinning light sabering made the crowd lose their shit back then. Looking back now ugh.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    y'all know that rogue one has an 85% on RT and the marvel films have made like 11 billion bucks, right

someone not liking those things isn't exactly hammering you with their opinion from every direction

When the jockie jocks go, "ayy yeah I like iron man 2 it's a fun movie" and then someone that's part of the target/in-group goes "yo fuck all these movies they're dumb and boring" it feels really fucking weird.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    All movies are terrible.
    All movies are terrible.
    Cooking steaks well-done.
    Hawaiian pizza.
    The 2016 election.

There I think we got it all.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Attack of the Clones does not have a driving narrative. The protagonists travel around watching and reacting to decisions that have already been made.

yeah

but hear me out

crazy flipping yoda lightsaber fights

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Sometimes I forget Attack of the Clones exists.
    That movie cranked my hog but pinched the shit out of it.

zepherin on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    All movies are terrible.

agreed, film was a mistake

the only real art is dance

you're not wrong

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »

i didn't know you loved Ayn Rand and wanted to see poor people dying in the streets you fucking monster

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    The tv marvel stuff has to do with the tv CEO hating the movie CEO.

Seriously. It's an executive pissing contest.

I think this is the worst part of the MCU. Fucking get over yourselves and put the Agents of Shield people in some movies and put some movie people in the show! Everyone wants this except the annoying executives for some reason! edit: And stop calling the Hulk "The big green guy"!

...yeah...There have been 3 times this season where I was thinking "man they should really just call Tony and have Vision solve this in like 2 seconds"

a5ehren on
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    2 hours of young Obi-Wan solvin mysteries in space, pls

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Warren Beatty was on the radio today dropping names and promoting his latest films. He casually quoted something David Lean once said to him, about film being "this almost art of ours".

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I liked Return of the Jedi more as a kid because Luke's lightsaber was green and the associated video game was better

Refined taste, that

• Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular

Phantom Menace was also really aimless as well.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

yeah

but hear me out

Ruins literally everything Yoda teaches Luke.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    marvel movies that are good, in no particular order or ranking:

captain america: the winter soldier
    captain america: civil war
    captain america: the first avenger
    iron man
    iron man 3
    guardians of the galaxy
    ant-man
    avengers

marvel movies that are bad, either because they're made poorly or because despite being crafted perfectly fine on a technical level, are soulless wastes of time (again in no particular order)

avengers: age of ultron
    doctor strange
    iron man 2
    thor: the dark world
    the incredible hulk

note that for the purposes of this post i am only counting "MCU" films, not stuff that came prior (like the first Hulk movie) or stuff made by other studious using Marvel properties (X-Men/Spider-Man/Fantastic Four etc.)

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    bowen wrote: »

When the jockie jocks go, "ayy yeah I like iron man 2 it's a fun movie" and then someone that's part of the target/in-group goes "yo fuck all these movies they're dumb and boring" it feels really fucking weird.

it's weird when nerds don't love all nerd movies?

i fuck animals, bowen, but i don't just give the dick to any non human. not all of them are attractive.

• Options
    Also it probably wouldn't necessarily be a problem in re: non classic trilogy star wars and marvel movies if it wasn't a bimonthly chat topic about how they're all bad and dumb and you shouldn't like them and you should feel bad about it.

Also the classic trilogy is boring and bad, really, like have you rewatched it recently? Rose goggles like fuck. Watch darth and obi wan laser sword fight bro, looks like they're really old dudes who can barely stand up for more than 5 minutes trying to fence.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I stopped watching AoS when they brought back whats his face again
    I wasn't going to submit myself to the suffering anymore

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    What I wouldn't give to have some random aliens/demons/whatever get merced by Jessica Jones in a marvel film

like doctor strange is in a wizard battle and she just throws a dumpster at the bad wizard and cusses him out for having a harry potter duel in the middle of manhattan

and god fucking damnit Phil Coulson needs to show up for the next Avengers movie

override367 on
  • Options

i didn't know you loved Ayn Rand and wanted to see poor people dying in the streets you fucking monster

hey just cuz the bad guys win doesn't make it a bad movie

it's actually quite refreshing!

• Options
    Podly wrote: »
    All movies are terrible.

agreed, film was a mistake

the only real art is dance

you're not wrong

am i ever?

• Options

Yeah. Hopefully the new one is good.

• Options
    I've got hours of hot takes, hot takes for days.

Just the best hot takes for chat.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Star Wars episode 4 is a weird movie. It launched the franchise and the special effects were amazing for the time. But the acting was like a highschool production, half run by volunteers (with guest stars Harrison Ford and Peter Cushing). The cinematography and editing were kinda bad too. It's hard to watch, going back.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    I stopped watching AoS when they brought back whats his face again
    I wasn't going to submit myself to the suffering anymore

You are missing out on what is probably one of the best shows on TV right now.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

yeah

but hear me out

Ruins literally everything Yoda teaches Luke.

luke was a shitty acrobat he had to change his teaching style to suit the capabilities of the student that's just smart

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    If I'm looking at an optical portal that shows a randomly selected image from my future, how do I hear myself gleefully muttering about historical moments in Canadian football history?

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    On the flip side, have you all considered that everything is awesome?

Well most things.

I guess there are some bad things, but not media related.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Pony wrote: »
    marvel movies that are good, in no particular order or ranking:

captain america: the winter soldier
    captain america: civil war
    captain america: the first avenger
    iron man
    iron man 3
    guardians of the galaxy
    ant-man
    avengers

marvel movies that are bad, either because they're made poorly or because despite being crafted perfectly fine on a technical level, are soulless wastes of time (again in no particular order)

avengers: age of ultron
    doctor strange
    iron man 2
    thor: the dark world
    the incredible hulk

note that for the purposes of this post i am only counting "MCU" films, not stuff that came prior (like the first Hulk movie) or stuff made by other studious using Marvel properties (X-Men/Spider-Man/Fantastic Four etc.)

I agree with this list. I should really re-watch Ant-Man sometime.

• Options

hey just cuz the bad guys win doesn't make it a bad movie

it's actually quite refreshing!

are you saying that the protagonists of the Incredibles are actually the villains, here

• Options
    On the flip side, have you all considered that everything is awesome?

Well most things.

I guess there are some bad things, but not media related.

related: lego movie was really entertaining

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    17952555_10101205075890466_5920441513065479654_n.jpg?oh=1a2d37bb1060d9429428560c29ffaf9d&oe=597A156D

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    I liked Return of the Jedi more as a kid because Luke's lightsaber was green and the associated video game was better

Refined taste, that
    I legit like Return of the Jedi's opening sequence (the Jabba's Palace) stuff the most of all the films.

The reasoning is that, unlike every goddamn film Lucas made after, it was actually significant and meaningful for the characters to return there. There's a huge contrast between how Luke and co started out on Tatooine in A New Hope and what they end up being capable of by the time of Return of the Jedi. There's a setup of them being out of their depth still, but it turns out everything that they've been through has made them stronger and what better way than to show them at what is their roots (for the audience's / adventure's sake, not their ACTUAL roots as in character origin) (well, except for Luke).

It goes to show how dire things are later in the film when, with all that experience, the Empire still has them on the brink of losing.

This discussion has been closed.