As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Floaking [chat]

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited October 2017
    Burnage wrote: »
    I've still never actually played an Assassin's Creed game

I feel like I should rectify that at some point but they never sound particularly enthralling to me?

i mean, it's entirely possible it might not be your bag, but I'll try and explain the appeal

The first game is interesting because I think people were expecting a very GTA sort of experience and it's a lot more focused than that. It gives you a few systems to play with - stealth, melee, parkour - and an objective, like "kill this guy while he's making a speech at a beheading" and then what happens next is largely up to you. Some people found the assassinations repetitive, possibly because they binged one after another, but I really liked the emergent tactical challenge of puzzling out for myself how I wanted to pull off the job.

The second game and onward take a different tack. It's a much more curated, story-heavy affair. The assassinations are less technical challenges and more like traditional boss fights, coming at the climax of a string of cutscenes and gameplay challenges tailored for that specific moment in the story (cross the burning bridge, etc) rather than just putting the bad guy in the middle of a crowd of guards and challenging you with the game's own systems. This was mildly disappointing for me but a lot of people liked it better, and it helped that the cutscenes were really good and the main character of 2 and its two expansion/sequels was really likeable.

2 also introduced a lot of ancillary tasks and collectibles into the mix (the first game had a few collectibles but 2 really upped the ante) and future games have continued in that vein. Sometimes the ancillary tasks are a hell of a lot of fun, like timed parkour challenges. Sometimes they're annoying nonsense.

All of the games are really lavishly produced and give you the opportunity to run around in interesting historical real-world spaces, and they're pretty scrupulously researched. Like, much more so than a video game needs to be to satisfy 99% of its audience. After playing through AC2 I was familiar enough with Renaissance Florence that when I later watched a documentary about the city that featured a CGI reconstruction of it I recognized almost everything in it and the locations' geographic relation to one another? Like "oh shit that's the Duomo, that other one must be San Lorenzo" or whatever.

Stealth, parkour, and melee combat are the bread and butter of every game in the series. There's some traditional "avoid the sightlines of every guard" stealth, but what I really dig is the game's concept of "social stealth," of hiding by blending in. This was kind of clumsily implemented in the first game but honed to high art in later installments. There's something deeply satisfying about casually perusing goods at a busy market stall while lance-carrying guards rush down the street behind you.

The combat tends to be easy (although it gets tougher as the series progresses) and I find it pretty viscerally satisfying in a popcorn sort of way.

The parkour gives you a lot of interesting challenges to your spatial reasoning - trying to figure out a way to get from here to there is an emergent puzzle in and of itself. The parkour controls themselves are sometimes fiddly in the open world - it can be hard to gauge jump distances - but they do 3D platforming really well and all the games in the series after 2 take advantage of this to add elements of Indiana Jones or Prince of Persia-style tomb raiding and those segments are almost universally well done. Also, kind of out of nowhere, the third game introduced naval combat as a side activity and did a terrific job of tall-ship combat rendered as, effectively, an arcade game. It actually ended up overshadowing the rest of that troubled game and set the course for the pirate-themed sequel.

The story is a mixed bag and people have mixed reactions to it. The storytelling in the first game was fairly minimalist; there was a plot, and it was important, but the game didn't often interrupt you to show cutscenes or whatever. It was largely conveyed through text and background dialogue. The main character of the first game was kind of unsympathetic (although he warms up as you go) and the game generally maintained an air of clinical detachment that I actually sort of enjoyed. 2, forward, however, go hard into interactive moviemaking, with cutscenes and flashbacks and all the rest of it, and sometimes (as with 2 and its sequels) it's fantastic and creates really lovely experiences. There are moments in 1, 2, Revelations, and Brotherhood with genuine weight. Other times, as in 3, the story's a fucking mess. I think the balance has largely been weighted toward the good side, however.

The games combine slightly New Age-flavored science fiction (genetic memory, ancient aliens, etc) in the present-day segments with largely more grounded, mundane stories of revenge or politics in the historical settings. It's not an appropriate mix for everyone and a lot of nerds react really poorly to conspiracy fiction as it's totally outside of their dragon-novel wheelhouse but if you've got a well-loved copy of the Illuminatus trilogy or Foucault's Pendulum on your shelf there's a lot of fun to be had in the generous helping of Rosicrucians, Templars, secret histories, etc that the game serves up.

@Burnage

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Alignment rules are dumb and caring about them is silly. At best if there's an alignment limited class you should reflavor stuff to fit the new alignment (e.g. a Lawful barbarian has cold fury, or a Chaotic Neutral Paladin only cares about some libertarian ideal of self-freedom)

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    I got, I think, overly bothered by some stupid D&D stuff this weekend. And while I was explaining it to some friends last night, I realized how silly it sounded.

I had a character in my head. This character fit nicely into alignment A. But it turns out (after going 2 adventures into a campaign) my GM realized I was alignment A and my class has a restriction that says it has to be alignment B. So I had to change my class.

I really wish my GM had just said fuck it you can be alignment A. Who gives a fuck. But ah well.

This is the second time I've had to change a character I really liked to something else in this campaign and it really bummed me out. Maybe I'll just switch to alignment B, play like I've been playing and say fuck it and see if anyone actually notices. It's not like it's exactly the most RP heavy game anyway.

Sounds like the GM is being overly rigid.

And to me it makes sense to be annoyed at having to change a character concept for the sake os some mechanical shit that is pretty dumb in the first place!

I finally had the first actual session of the Fate/Planescape game on Saturday and it was pretty great. Forgot how hilarious my old GM was. Plus he used me as the opening plot hook so I got to do a lot of stuff (and he's fairly insightful so he knows that, for example, my boston roommate and I will absolutely take action because it's fun and pushes along the story, while the other three players like a more thoughtful and investigative game, and he plans to balance that.)

The weird thing with Planescape and alignment is that it actually matters because Good and Evil are very real in that cosmology? That said, I don't think any of our characters actually have alignments except for the archon...

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Arch wrote: »
    If the rumors are true

The carnifex HQ old one eye is from hive fleet behemoth, whose special rules let's you reroll charges

oh nooooo

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I got, I think, overly bothered by some stupid D&D stuff this weekend. And while I was explaining it to some friends last night, I realized how silly it sounded.

I had a character in my head. This character fit nicely into alignment A. But it turns out (after going 2 adventures into a campaign) my GM realized I was alignment A and my class has a restriction that says it has to be alignment B. So I had to change my class.

I really wish my GM had just said fuck it you can be alignment A. Who gives a fuck. But ah well.

This is the second time I've had to change a character I really liked to something else in this campaign and it really bummed me out. Maybe I'll just switch to alignment B, play like I've been playing and say fuck it and see if anyone actually notices. It's not like it's exactly the most RP heavy game anyway.

I can tell you how to explain any characterization as any alignment. I can stretch matrim cauthon to be lawful good because alignment is an easily broken system.

So were you playing bard, monk, or paladin?

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    the only interesting thing you can do with alignments is when the players run up against powerful artifacts/entities that fuck they player's brains and change their alignments

and that only works if your players are real into RP and also good at it

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Ken Starr turned on the news this morning, and poured himself a small glass of milk, a single tear rolling down his cheek and dropping into it as he mumbled "Why'd I have to get the President who lied about receiving fellatio..."

Seeing what Starr got up to at Baylor, man's a huge dbag.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    AC seems like a series I would love with the sci-fi and history and illuminati/conspiracy stuff but the first one turned me off the series with it's clunkiness and I have just never gotten around to them. I think I have AC2 and some other one on Steam.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I just think the idea of being a LG pirate is silly.

And the whole "Lawful can just be personal code!" seems like a cop out to me.

I've been playing D&D too long.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I have booked the company Christmas do. Escape rooms and tapas.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

Lg pirate is easy

Be the captain

"I am the law"

• Options
    Ok I legit had a work plan but the only remote workstation that has a functional installation of the software I want to use is malfunctioning and the guy who can fix it isn't around so....

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Alignment rules are dumb and caring about them is silly. At best if there's an alignment limited class you should reflavor stuff to fit the new alignment (e.g. a Lawful barbarian has cold fury, or a Chaotic Neutral Paladin only cares about some libertarian ideal of self-freedom)
    I dunno playing a whole team of lawful good characters is fun. Try it sometime.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I'd love a game where a Paladin gets smited the second he murders a goblin for no reason

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »

And to me it makes sense to be annoyed at having to change a character concept for the sake os some mechanical shit that is pretty dumb in the first place!

I finally had the first actual session of the Fate/Planescape game on Saturday and it was pretty great. Forgot how hilarious my old GM was. Plus he used me as the opening plot hook so I got to do a lot of stuff (and he's fairly insightful so he knows that, for example, my boston roommate and I will absolutely take action because it's fun and pushes along the story, while the other three players like a more thoughtful and investigative game, and he plans to balance that.)

The weird thing with Planescape and alignment is that it actually matters because Good and Evil are very real in that cosmology? That said, I don't think any of our characters actually have alignments except for the archon...

Yeah, in 2nd Ed version of Planescape alignment is like physically represented by the different planes. But in that case, it's also so over the top that you don't tend to get really muddled in stuff.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    If the rumors are true

The carnifex HQ old one eye is from hive fleet behemoth, whose special rules let's you reroll charges

oh nooooo

Listen here Jake just because you posted a multi paragraph defense of assassin's Creed doesn't mean I have to take this sarcasm you're not my real dad

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

I mean... I didn't disagree? Playing a mono-alignment party can be cool, but limiting class choice because of it is silly. Let the LG barbarian and LG bard join in!

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    I'd love a game where a Paladin gets smited the second he murders a goblin for no reason

assorted_fruits.jpg

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

Sir

Sir

I will have you know we have letters of marque from His Majesty

Your cargo is needed for the King's mission in whatever

Thank you for your cooperation

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Sleep wrote: »

Lg pirate is easy

Be the captain

"I am the law"

LG pirate?

so whitebeard from One Piece?

e: actually Jinbe probably fits better

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Shouldn't the truck nuts be on the front of your truck

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options

I mean... I didn't disagree? Playing a mono-alignment party can be cool, but limiting class choice because of it is silly. Let the LG barbarian and LG bard join in!
    Yeah but it's kinda hard to play a lawful good bard...especially with the corpse fucking.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    If the rumors are true

oh nooooo

Listen here Jake just because you posted a multi paragraph defense of assassin's Creed doesn't mean I have to take this sarcasm you're not my real dad

I'm not being sarcastic! I play Guard! Do nids really need to kill me harder? :(

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    The archon we are running around with in this Planescape game is very naive and pretty perfectly Lawful Good (although the player wants it to 'fall' to chaotic good as part of the storyline)(the player also historically has played as rather disruptive and annoying characters)

Seems like there will be plenty of room for interesting pvp/roleplaying as we have to prevent him from telling the complete truth about everything to everyone at all times, and also trying to turn all miscreants in to official city custody.

credeiki on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    It's only very rarely that I've played games in which people's characters were any alignment other than Basically Kind Of A Dick, But Not Overtly Evil Or Anything, They're OK I Guess.

As long as they're not killing passersby, robbing the orphanage or trying to make their guy a sullen loner they're probably in the broad tent of what most people think of as Good/Neutral.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    The archon we are running around with is in this Planescape game is very naive and pretty perfectly Lawful Good (although the player wants it to 'fall' to chaotic good as part of the storyline)(the player also historically has played as rather disruptive and annoying characters)

Seems like there will be plenty of room for interesting pvp/roleplaying as we have to prevent him from telling the complete truth about everything to everyone at all times, and also trying to turn all miscreants in to official city custody.

Obv you need to frame him and turn him into the guard

Who are more than happy to give him ten thousand years dungeon since he's interrupting their side hustle

Gg no re

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »

I think the assumption is that the truck is a quadruped

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

the Barb thing is rather silly

cuz you know "primitive" peoples can't have systems of laws they're just all crazy animals right guys?

• Options
    The archon we are running around with in this Planescape game is very naive and pretty perfectly Lawful Good (although the player wants it to 'fall' to chaotic good as part of the storyline)(the player also historically has played as rather disruptive and annoying characters)

You know that would be actually an amazing campaign, they get turned into city custody, and instead of breaking out, having a court date with a magistrate and the bard acting as a defense attorney while a paladin is acting as prosecutor is trying to throw the book at them, with competing charisma rolls and judicial bonuses.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    All of the games are really lavishly produced and give you the opportunity to run around in interesting historical real-world spaces, and they're pretty scrupulously researched. Like, much more so than a video game needs to be to satisfy 99% of its audience. After playing through AC2 I was familiar enough with Renaissance Florence that when I later watched a documentary about the city that featured a CGI reconstruction of it I recognized almost everything in it and the locations' geographic relation to one another? Like "oh shit that's the Duomo, that other one must be San Lorenzo" or whatever.

Seriously this aspect of it can't be overstated. After binging on the AC2 trilogy, it was almost unnerving how familiar Florence, Venice and Rome felt when I visited them.

The last time a game managed to do that was Metropolis Street Racer back in the dreamcast days, and it's modelling of central London.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    My biggest problem with the ass creed games is the same issue I have with ubisoft games in general in that they are all "here's this huge map with generic objectives and collectables" and I can't ignore finding all of those, even though I know it kills the gameplay and makes the game feel super repetitive.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular

If this is a Paladin, your DM is being ridiculous.

I made a chaotic good Paladin whose deity was Silvanus, so his fervour was for nature's dominance. Which can be a kind of 'law' I guess, but as long as the Paladin is dedicated to a deity, I don't see alignment being an issue.

Alignment really doesn't matter in 5e, if that's what you were playing.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    5e doesn't really limit class choice by alignment but a redemption paladin who's chaotic evil doesn't really make any sense, unless he has a long game of turning all of his rivals nonviolent and then killing them

A lawful good conquest paladin on the other hand can make sense, as their alignment doesn't require them to value liberty

override367 on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

Or the truck is the literal dick extension, thus, the nuts at the base.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

No because the hemi is your dick.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    5e doesn't really limit class choice by alignment but a redemption paladin who's chaotic evil doesn't really make any sense, unless he has a long game of turning all of his rivals nonviolent and then killing them

My only thing about Paladins is their alignment should match their deity. If they worship an evil deity, then the Paladin should be evil.

I think in THAT case, there should be some discussion between the player and DM about which abilities the Paladin gets. Maybe just go with the Oathbreaker class in that case.

• Options

Yeah, in 2nd Ed version of Planescape alignment is like physically represented by the different planes. But in that case, it's also so over the top that you don't tend to get really muddled in stuff.

We're playing a very street level game--the overall big plot is mysterious urban renewal by the dabus; kind of a gentrification theme? Like the beginning of our campaign is that the well the my apartment building draws water from (I live in a super shitty garret at the very top) started spewing sludge and there was some mob/racial violence that we had to break up so that the landlord wouldn't call the Harmonium to just come arrest everyone.

It's all over the top in that there was like a brawl in between giant mantis and her brood on one side and a tiefling and his 12 adopted orphans, and it was broken up by blowing them aside with gusts of wind and sticking them to the wall with our spider party member's buttsilk, but the issues are less epic than they might be.

Fate seems like it works nicely for this setting; very easy to capture a bunch of esoteric shit without getting bogged down in a bunch of mechanics and weird rules.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    AC seems like a series I would love with the sci-fi and history and illuminati/conspiracy stuff but the first one turned me off the series with it's clunkiness and I have just never gotten around to them. I think I have AC2 and some other one on Steam.

The first game is very different in terms of controls. By AC2 they changed it drastically, Brotherhood refined the change to near-perfection.

Black Flag is basically still brotherhood in terms of controls, but they made it supremely easy and satisfying to murderkill dozens of pirates and it was just a blast to play.

Origins is the first major change to the controls in a long time. I am not sure if I like it more yet - I miss the parry/counter stuff a lot.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

Or the truck is the literal dick extension, thus, the nuts at the base.
    SniperGuy wrote: »

No because the hemi is your dick.

🤔

• Options
    edited October 2017
    HerrCron wrote: »

Seriously this aspect of it can't be overstated. After binging on the AC2 trilogy, it was almost unnerving how familiar Florence, Venice and Rome felt when I visited them.

The last time a game managed to do that was Metropolis Street Racer back in the dreamcast days, and it's modelling of central London.

Right? Exactly. In a similar vein I love that I've played so many games in fake LA or historical LA or whatever that every time a new one comes out I can actually get around without needing to check a map too often. "My objective's in Malibu? Cool, that's this way. Er, I mean, 'Mallomar.'"

Jacobkosh on
This discussion has been closed.