As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

They advanced the PLOT?! Warhammer 40k casual lore

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I kinda like that the pinnacle of human technology is called the dark age. It just gets at how warped things are by the current time.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    fuck me I dropped by a LGS yesterday to grab some DnD minis, and there's a new Necromunda out, why did no one warn me

now I want it

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    I kinda like that the pinnacle of human technology is called the dark age. It just gets at how warped things are by the current time.

Yeah, it used to be called the Age of Technology, but if I recall the Imperium now refers to it as the Dark Age since they assume they reached too far technologically and that caused the "Age of Strife.". Plus the ministorum holds that it couldn't have been THAT great pre-Emperor.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    fuck me I dropped by a LGS yesterday to grab some DnD minis, and there's a new Necromunda out, why did no one warn me

now I want it

It's very cool, and the minis are extremely good!
    I think they've streamlined the rules a bit from classic Necromunda, but it's still got that good, good flavour.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I am still disappointed they gave Escher the chem thrower and took away the plasma gun and heavy stubber
    My old models will never see battle again :(

• Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I've heard theories that the Eldar are involved, it seems like the kind of thing they could do, and I think Commander Farsight's weapon is vaguely Eldarish. But... if it is the Eldar, there's not much evidence.
    The argument about his weapon being Aeldari/Ynnari came up because of the quest for the Crone Swords

The answer GW gave was a vague could be Necron? since the Charnovokh dynasty is in the Tau Empire but has not awakened
    85au1ne9rxm8.png

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Who would have thought I enjoy painting tactical marines? I am almost finished with my fifth squad of tactical and I only have one more to go. Then I'm going to start on my devastator squads.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    what are the odds the tau were uplifted by humans

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Looks likely they've been having fun making videos again:

https://youtu.be/zmHSgrvSYXo

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Accidentally? That makes sense.
    On purpose? That'd be very weird.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    not like the Imperium, just some old rogue group of scientists from the pre-empire techy age set up shop there under the radar

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Accidentally? That makes sense.
    On purpose? That'd be very weird.

The Adeptus Mechanicus met them pre ethereal and set the planet up for routine cleansing

• Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    Iblis wrote: »
    Krieghund wrote: »

Yeah, it used to be called the Age of Technology, but if I recall the Imperium now refers to it as the Dark Age since they assume they reached too far technologically and that caused the "Age of Strife.". Plus the ministorum holds that it couldn't have been THAT great pre-Emperor.
    I always just assumed it was because the Imperium literally forgot and lost everything that happened during that time. It wasn't that it was dark, it was that it went dark (which actually kind of reflects the real "Dark Ages" on Earth).

• Options
    I feel they call it the Dark age as it was when humans had set out and colonized the galaxy but with the uprising against the metal men and the warp storms there was a regression on many worlds since they did not have the help from the better part of the other systems to help them

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    not like the Imperium, just some old rogue group of scientists from the pre-empire techy age set up shop there under the radar

It's possible, but I don't believe there are really any large groups of individuals like that. It is quite possible Chaos worshipers of some flavor are behind it (would fit one of Tzeentch's long cons), but it's really hard to say. Most of what we have about the Tau's development is that six thousand years ago they had barely just figured out this whole fire thing, then a warp storm blocked off the area. The Tau started a massive war among themselves sometime after this that threatened to wipe out their entire species until some Tau none of the others had ever heard of showed up and solved everything effortlessly. Thanks to Farsight we also know the Ethereals are aware of the true nature of Chaos and daemons, but insist that Chaos worshipers are simply fanatics and daemons are weirdo aliens they've allied with. Most of this information would suggest the Ethereals were created for the express purpose of tempering the Tau into a stronger force and also suggests that whatever created them either spawned a warpstorm or took advantage of it and was still capable of accessing their homeworld, and is also familiar enough with Chaos to teach the Ethereals about it but also decided to have them withhold this information from the masses.

So probably Eldar or Chaos followers, since both would have the means to do it, the capacity to see the future and figure out how best to guide the Tau, and possible motives for all of it. Of course it's also quite possibly something GW hasn't really put much thought into and just left some plot threads there to make people interested.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    You're looking at it from "current" 40k lore, but if Dark Age of Technology humans were responsible, it would make sense.

And there were human civilizations that were not only allied with, but integrated with alien races when the crusades reached them.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Maybe the alien Cabal from the Horus Heresy have something to do with it? There goal is the defeat of chaos, and uplifting a race of nulls seems like it’d be pretty useful for that.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    Tau aren't nulls. They have almost no warp presence, but that's not the same thing as a null.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    I find it extremely unlikely that there exists any remnants from the dark age of technology at this point.
    More likely suspect is the Eldar, or even a splinter group of the current empire.
    Genetically tamper with some Tau to make ethereals, use some archeotech left by the necrons or old ones, or some weird ass ritual, to lock everyone in their solar system and accelerate local time until warp storm opens up and boom, new technologically adept civilization ready to bite its creators in the ass.

• Options
    If it's the Aeldari it's the Harlequins as they put Asdrubael Vect in power to break the power of the Noble houses and Haemonculi who were the architects of the fall

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    How do we feel about Warhammer Fantasy/Age of Sigmar/Shadespire in this thread?
    How do we feel about Orks/Orcs/Orruks?
    DRTip7-VAAAa2vQ.jpg

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    How do we feel about Warhammer Fantasy/Age of Sigmar/Shadespire in this thread?
    How do we feel about Orks/Orcs/Orruks?
    DRTip7-VAAAa2vQ.jpg

Those are some real good looking orks

they got bloodbowl parts?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Looks like Blood Bowl blitzer and black orc with new weapons/arms. Very nice.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Is there a clan of hockey hooligan orks?

• Options
    There is if you want there to be.

Most orks prefer football (real football).

• Options
    Yeah, I dont like the standard ard boy kit very much and i'd seen a couple of other people online do this conversion, so they are just BB orcs with weapons

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I still do not understand what happened in the WHF endtimes and how age of sigmar works

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I mean the world blows up and then Sigmar rides the motlon core of the planet about for a bit.

Then makes friends with a dragon?

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    There's definitely a dragon involved at some point, then Sigmar makes a bunch of new worlds and everything's pretty chill for a bit before Chaos sniffed them out and we get back to the old Warhammer murder-fest.

I kinda like it? Like 40k with these huge, unmapped realms there's scope to tell really any story or background for your army/faction that you like. They're doing an AoS tabletop RPG at some point in the future, which could be, er, interesting.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Stormcast are pretty cool, they’re the souls of old heroes brought back and put into magical new bodies. Though I wish they could retain more of their old personalities. It would be neat to have the reincarnations of Karl Franz and Volkmar the Grim reminiscing as they shoot force lightning at daemons.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    Stormcast keep most of their memories/personality, but each time they die and are reborn they lose a bit of their minds.
    A bit of fluff from one of the stormcast in the Shadespire box says something along the lines of “he used to laugh and inspire his friends, but since his 3rd reforging he’s silent and only finds peace in combat”

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Are there any Stormcasts that are known characters from the old world?

Also what would be the best way to read up on what happened after the End Times and some of the story hooks that created (Lileath for example) the creation of the new world and the story so far? Is there a good primer?

honovere on
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    honovere wrote: »
    Are there any Stormcasts that are known characters from the old world?

Also what would be the best way to read up on what happened after the End Times and some of the story hooks that created (Lileath for example) the creation of the new world and the story so far? Is there a good primer?

That is a good question as I have only found people raging against the AOS change {you know taking a 2nd mortgage out for wargamming might be bad}
    But I have found people explaining the lore of the current races
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZr4XJi2Yec

Brainleech on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Finished The Warmaster.

Goddamnit, Dan Abnett.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    :(

I'm assuming he's keeping his promise about writing until they're all dead.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    He also has an Eisenhorne book coming out in March, called Magos.

• Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Finished The Warmaster.

Goddamnit, Dan Abnett.

My favorite bit in the last couple books is how they took what was originally a gaffe and turned it into a major plot point.
    Originally, both of Gol Kolea's kids were boys, but a couple books later Dan made Yoncy a girl. And now like 10 books later he's finally explaining it.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    :(

I'm assuming he's keeping his promise about writing until they're all dead.

I think the one after this is going to be the last one.

There certainly aren't many Tanith castmembers left. A lot of the drama centers on the Vervunhive soldiers they picked up after book 3.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    To quote from Critical Failures
    Burnage wrote: »
    What... what is this?

OAc2Xsh16qlu7SMHNPLTFYcBJ_qiN4E8Wfuw93t6lD0.jpg?w=768&s=74f9fd6c15c0390d92570a3db34bd37b

This discussion has been closed.