Options

[3D Printing] A toy to build toys...New to the hobby....

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Spool came in yesterday, which meant I finally had enough material to actually print #RealThings.
    In an effort to consolidate my desk and help make better accommodations for the 3D printer, I'm printing a clamp to rest my headphones on. I may or may not have been inspired to do this by Echo. :p

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Spool came in yesterday, which meant I finally had enough material to actually print #RealThings.
    In an effort to consolidate my desk and help make better accommodations for the 3D printer, I'm printing a clamp to rest my headphones on. I may or may not have been inspired to do this by Echo. :p

Hooray and/or I'm so sorry.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Nice! I realized I never posted my headphone holder. I'll take a picture and post it later. Also need to make a few more things to organize my lifedesk a bit better. Also would be a good time to reassess how my setup is and if anything should change.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    I successfully printed the bolt used to clamp it to the desk, and merrily that went off without a hitch.
    The main body has been less kind so far. I had two non-starters with the print failing on the first layer, and while this third one seems alright, there are definitely some errors that would matter for a more detail-oriented project. I suspect I need to increase the heat of the bed to help with the adhesion of this new material, but also this is the biggest thing I've printed and it could be running into uneven bed issues. Based on assorted adjustments I've made, it's got a bit of a concavity to it, but that is not a today problem. :P

• Options
    Surprise! My present was actually a job!

• Options
    Is there a common source for glass to put on the bed? I'm in Canada so I assume I have worse options, but just like, is it an actual "product" or do people just look for small pieces of glass?

• Options
    Amazon? Or creality website? Or I think there's a 3d printer part website

• Options
    I don't know why I was expecting that to be under a weird, different name or something, but literally the first Canadian parts website I go to had one for this exact printer model as, like, the fourth item in the list. >_<

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Is there a common source for glass to put on the bed? I'm in Canada so I assume I have worse options, but just like, is it an actual "product" or do people just look for small pieces of glass?

I'm also in Canada. I got a glass pane from Amazon.ca for like $15 and it works fine

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Is the creality ender 3 pro that much better than the standard?

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Looks like it sort of depends?
    https://all3dp.com/1/creality-ender-3-vs-ender-3-pro-3d-printer-shootout/

Might be worth getting the baseline and then upgrading as you can/as you need to?

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Gah

I really want it but i feel like id just fill my house with junk

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Getting some fierce ghosting on the R side of prints. Puzzling that out, it'd be due to the Y axis movements? Maybe the glass bed is throwing extra weight around. How would I go about fixing that? Just lower the speed even more?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Is the creality ender 3 pro that much better than the standard?

It's mostly upgrades to fix issues with the base version.

• Options
    Oh no. I ordered the glass bed and a couple of other small things, and now all my facebook ads are for 3D printers. :P

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Getting some fierce ghosting on the R side of prints. Puzzling that out, it'd be due to the Y axis movements? Maybe the glass bed is throwing extra weight around. How would I go about fixing that? Just lower the speed even more?

I had that when my extruder was slightly loose and had a slight wiggle. Is everything tightened down solid?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    JonJonJonJonJonJonJonJon Registered User regular
    Looking in to ordering my first printer. Any thoughts on deciding between a Prusa Mini and an Ender 3 Pro? Not concerned with large print size, looking to be able to print ABS, and under $400USD preferably.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    My vote is for the Prusa Mini. I have the Prusa Mk3 and its been fairly bullet proof out of the gate with not much messing around (and I'd expect a similar experience for the mini). But the Ender 3 is a pretty great entry machine as well. Neither options are bad, imo.

Edit:Also a buddy of mine bought us a mini (because he's sort of taken my Mk3 hostage for now), so whenever it comes in I'll be able to post about it.
    Edit 2: Prusa Mini you'd have to wait a bit for as well, so if you are wanting to print soonest, Ender 3 pro might be your best bet.

Radiation on
  • Options
    Not sure either is super well suited to ABS printing - it's recommended you do it in an enclosure to keep a consistent temperature and because melty ABS puts out some hazardous fumes.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Ah, totally missed the abs

• Options
    The ender 3 was pretty awesome in late 2018, but now there's been a ton of fresh competition. Prusa is still top-tier in the price range, so that's my recommendation.

For ABS you could always cobble together your own enclosure - the Prusa Mini has a separate power brick so you can keep that outside of the enclosure.

• Options
    JonJonJonJonJonJonJonJon Registered User regular
    Thanks everyone for the input! I realize for ABS I'll need to get some sort of enclosure. I don't mid waiting so I think this pushed me firmly into the Prusa Mini as the one to get.

• Options
    I have accepted the fact that I'll get a Prusa Mini eventually. Why settle for just owning two printers?

• Options
    The one my buddy ordered might be here in April I think.

• Options
    Prusa actually made a video on making an enclosure for ABS printing. I got a couple of Lack tables myself so I could stack my two printers on top of each other, but I skipped the enclosure since I'm not printing any ABS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS7ZtBNh2hE

• Options
    I have a 3D printer and a silly idea and it's too late to stop me.

UoqXu6sl.png

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Finally getting around to fixing the blinds so I can get my deposit back when I move in a few weeks.

gh1mpr3vucye.jpg

92o50hj98vqi.jpg

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    That's hella zippy. I doubt my Ender 3 is stable enough to reach those speeds, but I'll see how fast I can get it when I've slapped my Hemera onto it.

• Options
    Oh man, that machine is pretty amazing looking. Pricey as heck though!

• Options
    It's an Ender 3. Except he replaced pretty much everything on it.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    It's an Ender 3. Except he replaced pretty much everything on it.

Printer of Theseus.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Frankender 3.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Please, if it’s an Ender but better in every way, you gotta call it Bean.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

But then you would also need to keep adding to it until it filled the room it was in.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

But then you would also need to keep adding to it until it filled the room it was in.

You say that like it’s not already happening…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Crap, not sure what I screwed up on, but my final The Child* print for my kids is running really slow. Estimated 30 hours to go, when the rest were like 12 hours.

Guess I'll have to scrap this build at 8%

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    BLTouch has vastly improved my print quality! Huzzah. True Level has been mostly achieved.

However! It is very twitchy during the test phase. I would say it's 50/50 whether it succeeds or not. Half the time, the probe will trigger before it ever touches the plate, or just not deploy at all, flash red and refuse to do anything further. Any idea what causes this, or is it just how this thing works?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    WpbTnNSh.jpg

Yay for Organization. Still haven't solved my most recent problem with my Ender3 (first layers are uh, garbage) but a good scrubbing of the build plate with oxy-clean infused dish soap and windex fixed the "it just won't adhere at all" problem I had.

• Options
    Oooh, I really like that. I think I'll make some spacers for my dropper bottles so they stay better organized in the tool box~