As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mods know too much about the [Conspiracy Theories] thread

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    august wrote: »

I love the one of the bible and trump,“ god wins“. It’s like hell what would him losing look like, yeesh.

I don’t know how anyone can see a man like trump holding a bible and think “finally the kingdom has come”

I mean I do. White supremacy and prosperity gospel and a million other things.

But damn

The man is exactly what the bible warned about. He’s like all of the warnings in one. False prophets, hedonists, greed and war mongers

Except in that warning it assumes we don’t know about the false prophet’s secret blasphemy and philandering. Whereas we actually have it on tape.

The world is fucking nuts. Even by conspiracy thread standards

Prohass on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Zavian wrote: »
    Isn’t there a huge anti-first nations movement in Canada?

Define "huge".

Racism/bigotry is alive and well in the frozen wastes to the north, the crimes past and present against the first people's plentiful, but while it's not an oppression olympics, I like to think Canada (collectively/on a federal level) is at least making vague motions towards showing more respect on those matters... but then someone will probably bring up pipelines and it's a giant clusterfuck again.

So... kind of? It's a shitshow of failures big and small against a populace that has suffered many generations of neglect and abuse, I'd like to think there's at least an effort to do better, but objectively I wouldn't dream of stating it was getting better in a tangible way as a fact.

At least everybody in North America can say we're not Australia.

This post aged incredibly poorly, incredibly quickly.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    august wrote: »

There were a lot of people disappointed he did not burst into flames touching the bible nor did god strike him down which itself is an interesting take

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    So since Nancy Pelosi read from the bible she's protected now! Smart!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Is that photo of trump holding a bible supposed to look like hitler holding mein kampf? Because it looks like it.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Is that photo of trump holding a bible supposed to look like hitler holding mein kampf? Because it looks like it.

The Episcopal "All Are Welcome" sign behind him is a subtle but deeply cutting contrast to the message they want to send.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

The Episcopal "All Are Welcome" sign behind him is a subtle but deeply cutting contrast to the message they want to send.

All are welcome--especially people that forcibly eject the normal residents of the church, preceded by flashbangs, tear gas, and rubber bullets.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    So many police riots have started from a water bottle getting thrown at the cops in so many different places that I'm starting to wonder if the police have been embedding a person in the crowds to throw the water bottle as a signal to start launching the tear gas and shooting the protesters.

I am getting way too paranoid, but they are out to get us all and that doesn't help at all.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    So there are conspiracy theories that armed antifa cells are being bused (it's always busing with these people) into rural areas to kill livestock and generally cause mayhem

Just, lol

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    So many police riots have started from a water bottle getting thrown at the cops in so many different places that I'm starting to wonder if the police have been embedding a person in the crowds to throw the water bottle as a signal to start launching the tear gas and shooting the protesters.

I am getting way too paranoid, but they are out to get us all and that doesn't help at all.

All it takes is one specimen of the impetuous sort of youth who would draw something rude on the blackboard/whiteboard/smartboard with no regard to the consequences for the rest of the class.

It would be easy to fake it, but why bother? It will probably happen eventually, you can easily provoke the crowd if it hasn't happened fast enough, and if that doesn't work you can always just claim it happened, or merely claim you thought it happened.

Because cops.

Feel better? :rotate:

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Mumsnet is a terf space, and now there’s a predictably racist conspiracy forming there around BLM

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Eddy wrote: »
    So there are conspiracy theories that armed antifa cells are being bused (it's always busing with these people) into rural areas to kill livestock and generally cause mayhem

Just, lol

The only thing that prevents the tweet being quoted here from being the funniest tweet of all time is the depressing number of people who believed it.

For some reason links to the original tweet are not working at all.

Edit: ok, wow. The account was suspended while I was making this post. It was the tweet that went viral 4 days ago saying that the police had told the residents of Notre Dame, IN that busses carrying 6,000 Antifa soldiers were on the way there and that everyone needed to be locked down inside by 9 pm. Ending with "Pray for us."

Ketar on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    For a group that probably doesn't have a buss worth of actual members in one place in the US, Antifa sure is getting around. One of the many book titles to come out of this administration better be The Boy Who Called Antifa.

• Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    Since the Qanon motto is "Where We Go One We Go All", will they ALL be going to prison when Trump does?

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular

Not deliberately, its just that he is that stupid. It wasn't his bible, Ivanka carried it to the photo-op in a Gucci bag and gave it to him for the photo op. When asked if it was his bible, he said "its a bible". Not making any of that up.

He is also holding it upside down and backwards. Which has implications.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Kipling217 wrote: »

Not deliberately, its just that he is that stupid. It wasn't his bible, Ivanka carried it to the photo-op in a Gucci bag and gave it to him for the photo op. When asked if it was his bible, he said "its a bible". Not making any of that up.

...he's double illiterate?

I would hope everybody would safely rule Trump out as the Antichrist, though. Yeah, Satan may be an evil asshole, but he still has standards.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »

Just, lol

Here's a good article about the phenomenon

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/5/21281581/antifa-bus-hoax-trump-misinformation-protests-police
    The Associated Press has catalogued at least five separate rural counties where locals have warned of imminent attacks, although none of the rumors have been substantiated. Notably, the rumors are often tailored to a specific local region, a “hyperlocal” approach sometime used to boost the spread of misinformation on social media platforms.

NBC News first reported on the recent surge of antifa-related misinformation, some of which was promoted by white nationalist groups posing as antifa accounts. But even after the rumors were debunked, they continue to spread on Facebook, often inspiring real-life confrontations and instances of violence.

In Forks, Washington, a multi-racial family of four was harassed by armed locals, who believed they represented an antifa incursion. The family had arrived in town on a camping trip, traveling in a full-sized school bus. Local police say they were confronted by “seven or eight carloads” of people, who aggressively questioned them about their antifa connections. When the family attempted to drive off, locals felled trees across the roadway to prevent them from escaping. They were only able to leave after a group of students intervened.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Holy cow. That is terrible. I'm left to wonder what would have happened had students not showed up.

Nitsua on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Nitsua wrote: »
    Holy cow. That is terrible. I'm left to wonder what would have happened had students not showed up.

The sheriff also responded and was...shockingly actually helpful.

• Options
    Kipling217 wrote: »

...he's double illiterate?

I would hope everybody would safely rule Trump out as the Antichrist, though. Yeah, Satan may be an evil asshole, but he still has standards.

The fact he signed them after Hurricane Florence
    wo8yuksktmpc.png

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    That image of Hitler was photoshopped to make it look like Trump.

• Options
    Like I said earlier I found far more people surprised he did not burst into flames touching the bible nor did god strike him down on the spot than I did people criticizing him for the way he held it
    I did not get the comments from facebook either which was what surprised me

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    From the ACAB thread
    Donnicton wrote: »
    "He's 75" is now trending on twitter as a response to Trump's tweet.

I didn't know riot helmets also functioned as police scanners.

You've got it backwards, Antifa radio scanners are rigid, bowl shaped instruments that look like helmets because they are also used to receive their orders from the 5G mind-control bursts, but also specially tuned to protect them from the 5G COVID-19 bursts.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

Uhhhhh

I'm not super versed on my contemporary conspiracy theories, but this is the President of the United States embracing QAnon messagery, right?

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

Uhhhhh

I'm not super versed on my contemporary conspiracy theories, but this is the President of the United States embracing QAnon messagery, right?

He's been doing it for a while. But since he's losing more and more support, he's doing the only thing he knows how to do, double down on anything that makes him look like he knows what he's doing

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    He's been embracing the boogaloo thing for a while, maybe he's finally realizing that they're too cowardly to kick off the revolution themselves.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

Uhhhhh

"Amerika, ERWACHE!" was maybe a little too on the nose for them, maybe?

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    So, the conspiracy is that his phone was the device, and when you watch the video of when he walks up to the police it does kinda look like he was trying to touch one of the cops with it. The Russian propaganda OAN segment that Trump tweeted about had a slow motion close up of that action.

It's just an odd looking movement, which no doubt sparked this conspiracy. I wonder what he was actually doing though? Just flailing around? Trying to get that cop's attention because he had a helmet to give them? It does look funny. But that doesn't mean you can just concoct some elaborate story to explain it and then have the President of the United States publicly slander an old man.

• Options
    Trump has done many stupid things that have baffled people - you’d think he could empathize with him...
    Trump and empathy go together like oil and water, but still.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Even if he is a anti fa deep state super soldier scanning police phones, how does that justify pushing him over onto the concrete and not immediately rendering aid?

All this conspiracy theories tip their hand, because deep down they boil down to “it’s ok for us to mistreat or ignore this group because they’re lizard people, Antifa,.....Jews.”

It’s just all the same shit. They just want an excuse to hurt and other people.

I miss when the most I knew about conspiracy theories and theorists was UFOs and Bigfoot

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Xantomas wrote: »
    So, the conspiracy is that his phone was the device, and when you watch the video of when he walks up to the police it does kinda look like he was trying to touch one of the cops with it. The Russian propaganda OAN segment that Trump tweeted about had a slow motion close up of that action.

It's just an odd looking movement, which no doubt sparked this conspiracy. I wonder what he was actually doing though? Just flailing around? Trying to get that cop's attention because he had a helmet to give them? It does look funny. But that doesn't mean you can just concoct some elaborate story to explain it and then have the President of the United States publicly slander an old man.

I thiught he was telling the police that he parked on the other side of the building so if they want him to disperse they should let him to his vehicle

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/human-remains-found-search-two-missing-idaho-kids-stepfather-chad-n1228571

This one has been bubbling up in the news for a year or so, and gets weirder every time.

Our characters:

Chad Daybell, author of a wide range of Mormon fan fiction in the vein of Battlefield Earth. He actually believes the books he writes are prophecies of an impending apocalypse.

A couple synopses of his books to get an idea the particular brand of crazy and awful:
    Evading Babylon:
    In the near future, the world as we know it will suddenly change. Natural disasters will lead to economic difficulties, leaving the United States on the edge of collapse. During this time of strife, members of the LDS Church will be invited by their leaders to survive the civil unrest by gathering to holy refuges. In the midst of the turmoil, recently returned missionary Nathan Foster joins a secret team of men who help the Saints escape modern society's implosion. Nathan is expected to devote all of his time and energy to this cause, but he faces a major personal obstacle in doing so - Marie Shaw. Nathan has admired Marie since their high school days, and now she's showing genuine interest in him as well. However, more national trouble erupts including acts of bioterrorism on U.S. soil that not only threatens to tear apart their relationship, but puts their lives in deep peril
    Escape to Zion
    Escape to Zion, the third volume in the Emma trilogy, Emma Dalton ventures into the future. We see Temple Square surrounded by an electric fence as chariots race through abandoned Salt Lake City streets. One of the Three Nephites lends a helping hand, and we get a glimpse of the big meeting at Adam-Ondi-Ahman at the ushering in of the new Millennium
    Basically he mashes every moderately popular YA concept into batches and then frames them in a batshit take on Mormon fundamentalism and has his buddies do flaccid unlistenable reads of them for Audible.

Lori Vallow, a sovereign citizen who believes herself to be an ancient god with important tasks to complete in order to bring about Christ's second coming before July, 2020.

Oh yeah, this shit gets weird.

Last year the two start an affair. Weeks later Daybell's wife dies of natural causes, he refuses an autopsy. At the same time Vallow's brother gets in a fight with her husband and kills him in self defense (autopsy refused) and then dies of natural causes shortly after (autopsy refused).

The Vallow's parents and in-laws get suspicious that their two kids are nowhere to be found. The cops take months to look into it and when they finally do, they agree not to investigate right at that moment and come back in a few days (rather than standing on the two's necks for some reason).

They come back and the prophet and his goddess have fled to Hawaii. Who oh who could have forseen this turn of events?

Eventually Vallow ended up in jail, but they're back in the news today because an another unexplained body has appeared in the wake of the two megiddo warriors, prompting Daybell's arrest.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/human-remains-found-search-two-missing-idaho-kids-stepfather-chad-n1228571

This one has been bubbling up in the news for a year or so, and gets weirder every time.

Our characters:

Chad Daybell, author of a wide range of Mormon fan fiction in the vein of Battlefield Earth. He actually believes the books he writes are prophecies of an impending apocalypse.

A couple synopses of his books to get an idea the particular brand of crazy and awful:
    Evading Babylon:
    In the near future, the world as we know it will suddenly change. Natural disasters will lead to economic difficulties, leaving the United States on the edge of collapse. During this time of strife, members of the LDS Church will be invited by their leaders to survive the civil unrest by gathering to holy refuges. In the midst of the turmoil, recently returned missionary Nathan Foster joins a secret team of men who help the Saints escape modern society's implosion. Nathan is expected to devote all of his time and energy to this cause, but he faces a major personal obstacle in doing so - Marie Shaw. Nathan has admired Marie since their high school days, and now she's showing genuine interest in him as well. However, more national trouble erupts including acts of bioterrorism on U.S. soil that not only threatens to tear apart their relationship, but puts their lives in deep peril
    Escape to Zion
    Escape to Zion, the third volume in the Emma trilogy, Emma Dalton ventures into the future. We see Temple Square surrounded by an electric fence as chariots race through abandoned Salt Lake City streets. One of the Three Nephites lends a helping hand, and we get a glimpse of the big meeting at Adam-Ondi-Ahman at the ushering in of the new Millennium
    Basically he mashes every moderately popular YA concept into batches and then frames them in a batshit take on Mormon fundamentalism and has his buddies do flaccid unlistenable reads of them for Audible.

Lori Vallow, a sovereign citizen who believes herself to be an ancient god with important tasks to complete in order to bring about Christ's second coming before July, 2020.

Oh yeah, this shit gets weird.

Last year the two start an affair. Weeks later Daybell's wife dies of natural causes, he refuses an autopsy. At the same time Vallow's brother gets in a fight with her husband and kills him in self defense (autopsy refused) and then dies of natural causes shortly after (autopsy refused).

The Vallow's parents and in-laws get suspicious that their two kids are nowhere to be found. The cops take months to look into it and when they finally do, they agree not to investigate right at that moment and come back in a few days (rather than standing on the two's necks for some reason).

They come back and the prophet and his goddess have fled to Hawaii. Who oh who could have forseen this turn of events?

Eventually Vallow ended up in jail, but they're back in the news today because an another unexplained body has appeared in the wake of the two megiddo warriors, prompting Daybell's arrest.

I didn't click through to the article, just read the post. Then had to click the article because in the post i couldn't tell what happened in the books vs IRL.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Well you see one is implausible nonsense and the other is a series of Mormon themed YA novels.

• Options
    I knew about the deaths and missing kids - I had no clue there was a bunch of weird fan fiction nonsense thrown on top of it.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    I only learned about the crazy parts today, hence the post. "Adulterous couple kills their spouses kids a bystander and the bodies keep piling up" is fucked up but not fucked enough for this thread.

But when that couple claims to be an ancient pagan goddess of apocalypse and an echatological prophet whose predictions are all "Hunger Games except Mormon" then that's a special kind of fucked up.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Man, I do not volunteer as tribute for that particular ride.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I just listened to a podcast about this (prior to human remains being detected)

I had really, honestly hoped that the kids were being kept in one of those cultist compounds that her relatives (who claimed she would NEVER harm her stepkids) claimed they could be. Not because I wanted them to be indoctrinated, but because I really hoped they were alive.

Looks like my optimism was misplaced. Again.

• Options
    https://www.tweaktown.com/news/73097/mayan-doomsday-calendar-was-wrong-world-now-ends-on-june-21-2020/index.html

Mayan apocalypse nonsense is back again, somebody calculated the difference between the Julian and Gregorian calendars and determined that the 2012 apocalypse is actually June 21 this year.

They make one itty bitty mistake: the 11 days lost wasn't every year, it was a one time loss to fix an uncorrected drift between the English and continental calendars.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    And also made a mistake that Mesoamerican calendars reaching the end of a count has any more significance than your mechanical odometer flipping over to all 0s again, but everyone knows that dead horse by this point.

This discussion has been closed.