As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mods know too much about the [Conspiracy Theories] thread

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    So it kind of reminds me of the Doom books that touched on the Mormons being the only ones prepared for the hell invasion.

Like if you did a Doom boom expanded universe, but from the perspective of the mormons they met when they crashed back to earth after Knee Deep in the Dead.

You know what I'm talking about if you read the series before it really went off the rails.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    That wasn’t already really off the rails?

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    That wasn’t already really off the rails?

Not compared to the third and fourth book.

Its worth reading the series just for how absolutely weird it gets.

It is gloriously bad and weird and has nothing to do with anything Doom related. At some point they go inside an alien? In the future? And steal its soul?.

And that is not nearly the least sensical part of the books. 14 year old me must have read them all 30 times and went to the bookstore the day each was released.

What a weirdo.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I mean, at least book two had the paperthin plot of Doom II: Hell on Earth to draw from. Books 3 & 4 were completely original content and things got weird.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Yeah, 3 and 4 go some weird places, and yet I continue to enjoy them to this day.

I mean, I haven't read them in years, but they're charming enough to have kept for a quarter of a century.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    https://www.tweaktown.com/news/73097/mayan-doomsday-calendar-was-wrong-world-now-ends-on-june-21-2020/index.html

Mayan apocalypse nonsense is back again, somebody calculated the difference between the Julian and Gregorian calendars and determined that the 2012 apocalypse is actually June 21 this year.

They make one itty bitty mistake: the 11 days lost wasn't every year, it was a one time loss to fix an uncorrected drift between the English and continental calendars.

It definitely feels like this date might be more accurate though.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    That's how they getcha.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    https://www.tweaktown.com/news/73097/mayan-doomsday-calendar-was-wrong-world-now-ends-on-june-21-2020/index.html

Mayan apocalypse nonsense is back again, somebody calculated the difference between the Julian and Gregorian calendars and determined that the 2012 apocalypse is actually June 21 this year.

They make one itty bitty mistake: the 11 days lost wasn't every year, it was a one time loss to fix an uncorrected drift between the English and continental calendars.

Fun fact: The Russian delegation to the first modern Olympic Games arrived 2 weeks late. They were still using the Julian calendar, while the organizers were using the Gregorian calendar, and the Russians didn't realize the date they had been told was Gregorian.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

Fun fact: The Russian delegation to the first modern Olympic Games arrived 2 weeks late. They were still using the Julian calendar, while the organizers were using the Gregorian calendar, and the Russians didn't realize the date they had been told was Gregorian.

I remember when I was growing up my grandparents bought into some of the wilder edges of the Christian Fundamentalist stuff and there was some branch or preacher that made a lot of hay over the calendar change in pamplets and the like.

Like “what if every holiday - easter, christmas, your birthday, everything - was really 10 days wring?”

Ignoring the facts that:

1. Things after they changed the date wouldn’t change.
    2. Most of the holidays were arbitrarily set to certain dates in the first place.

Come to think of it, the gregorian calendar was like the perfect anachronistic representation of modern day politics.

1. Authority group identifies major social problem (shifting calendars had more of an impact in the middle ages than just Christmas gradually moving into spring, farmers and merchants depended on the calendar to know when to plant crops or plan shipping around yearly wind shifts, if it was off that would gradually fuck up things over time)
    2. Authority group with broad consensus from experts and other authority groups implements relatively simple fix, solves problem entirely
    3. Fix becomes Shibboleth for people against authority group to say “you aren’t the boss of me”, in places against Rome like England or Russia the fix is not adopted or rolled back out of a largely meaningless symbolic opposition and those places go on with an inferior calendar for centuries out of spite.

Its like the Obamacare/brexit/Keynesian economics/etc of the 1500s.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Jon Krakauer's book, Under the Banner of Heaven is a good look into the craziness of Mormon apocalyptic thought. Seems endemic out there especially among the fundamentalists who never got over the mainstream church's acceptance of blacks.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    All this talk of calendars really makes me think maybe we missed the best one:
    nkm04tc6nqu5.jpg

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Yeah, 3 and 4 go some weird places, and yet I continue to enjoy them to this day.

I mean, I haven't read them in years, but they're charming enough to have kept for a quarter of a century.

Could they be any weirder than the Doom comic, which appears to star the deranged bastard son of Duke Nukem?

https://www.doomworld.com/10years/doomcomic/comic.php
    page02.jpg

• Options
    THAC0THAC0 Registered User regular
    I only just realised how much that comic reminds me of Calvin and Hobbes. Like when it illustrates his imagination like the one where he wants to be Tarzan and Susie wants to be president or whatever it was. And it reads page to page kinda like a more insane eclectic version of a spaceman spiff story

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    THAC0 wrote: »
    I only just realised how much that comic reminds me of Calvin and Hobbes. Like when it illustrates his imagination like the one where he wants to be Tarzan and Susie wants to be president or whatever it was. And it reads page to page kinda like a more insane eclectic version of a spaceman spiff story

Calvin and Hobbes was definitely parodying that general style.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

Could they be any weirder than the Doom comic, which appears to star the deranged bastard son of Duke Nukem?

https://www.doomworld.com/10years/doomcomic/comic.php
    page02.jpg

Best part of that comic was the half way seague into a serious discussion on humans polluting the planet.

• Options
    Im also fond of the shift to angelic poetic imagery when he finds the BFG. Like... The tone of that comic you'd expect some hyper macho phallic line but it's all heavenly choirs and purity of purpose for the last two pages.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Hey, Doomguy knows what he is about.

And he is all about that rip and that tear.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
  • Options
    Also fun addition to the crazy parts: Daybell's day job when he wasn't writing Mormon Harry Potter?

Professional gravedigger.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular

The third one involves a pair of symbiotic twin aliens described as looking like Magilla Gorilla who named themselves Sears and Roebuck to communicate with the protagonists in English.

The last one makes that seem totally normal and grounded.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Remember those conspiracy theories about SARS2 being a hoax and people were trying to "prove" it by filming empty hospital parking lots or lobbies not filled with stacked corpses of COVID-19 victims or whatever?

Jair Bolsonaro, in his quest to out-stupid Trump in the pandemic, to the extent that sometimes late at night I wonder if he's somehow under the payroll of SARS2, is telling his supporters to go invade and then film inside hospitals to "prove" they're not being overwhelmed. Literally paranoid conspiracy theories are not official presidential policy in Brazil (as well as the US) but Bolsonaro, being a slightly more competent fascist (as he's less lazy and cowardly), is just straight out encouraging what Trump and his right-wing media (Fox/OAN/Facebook) just kinda sorta hint and wink at.

Just a terrible update to something that was already stupidly terrible.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Remember those conspiracy theories about SARS2 being a hoax and people were trying to "prove" it by filming empty hospital parking lots or lobbies not filled with stacked corpses of COVID-19 victims or whatever?

Jair Bolsonaro, in his quest to out-stupid Trump in the pandemic, to the extent that sometimes late at night I wonder if he's somehow under the payroll of SARS2, is telling his supporters to go invade and then film inside hospitals to "prove" they're not being overwhelmed. Literally paranoid conspiracy theories are not official presidential policy in Brazil (as well as the US) but Bolsonaro, being a slightly more competent fascist (as he's less lazy and cowardly), is just straight out encouraging what Trump and his right-wing media (Fox/OAN/Facebook) just kinda sorta hint and wink at.

Just a terrible update to something that was already stupidly terrible.

The next logical step is, I assume, to push doctors out of helicopters. (Windows is more of a European thing; helicopters have a storied tradition in South America.)

I am not joking, by the way. Bolsanaro's road is absolutely leading there.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Could they be any weirder than the Doom comic
    The last one had super advanced humans (because while the protagonists had been screwing around in space, Earth had used all the abandoned demon/alien tech after winning the war to jump start things) and copies of the protagonists got stuck inside a computer simulation of the original events (so playing DOOM) and then broke the 'sim' by not killing an imp and busting up all the behavior programming behind the demons, and started amassing a demon army to defeat the computer from the inside.

So yeah, it got way weirder than the comic. Although what I remember Daffyd ab Hugh for is how in both his Doom and Deep Space Nine novels, he just _had_ to reference Journey to the Center of the Earth

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I've kinda been waiting for that. Right-wing reactionaries are effectively internationalized so one government pushing the extremes means the next government over needs to be even more extreme to compare, and it's just a feedback loop from there. Doctors in Turkey are already being persecuted by the authoritarian government there, and the Chinese government probably pulled the plug on Dr. Li Wenliang (and possibly other doctors who had gotten sick) so there wouldn't be a hero to outshine Xi. And Duterte in the Philippines already murdered a man by throwing him out of a helicopter, so there's precedent too.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    So I've been seeing this fireworks thing is nation wide? It been consistently.more than normal for the past month where I'm at and after hearing it's not just me, I'm starting to get concerned.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    So I've been seeing this fireworks thing is nation wide? It been consistently.more than normal for the past month where I'm at and after hearing it's not just me, I'm starting to get concerned.

To one extent or another. But you don’t need a conspiracy to figure out that people are bored, unemployed and don’t have any bars or movie theatres to go to.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Fuck conspiracy theories. Fuck them all.

I had a good friend a while back who I haven't seen in person in a few years but kept in touch via Facebook. I've witnessed their slow slide from weird yet harmless beliefs in crystal healing and angel spirits etc, through 'Wi-fi gives you cancer, why will nobody listen?!', to now full on 'The Covid 19 response is a conspiracy by the government to keep the masses suppressed, the face mask is as much a mark of oppression as the Islamic veil.' And man, that last one has layers of awful going on there.

There's no engaging with someone when they've reached that point. Logical arguments are refuted with moon nonsense.

I've had to hit the terminal de-friend button because it's just too distressing to watch what they become next.

Fuck. It. All.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Espe
    SteevL wrote: »

Fuck.

At least those kids are going to get a decent burial, and their families will get some sort of closure. The family had gone to Yellowstone Park prior to their disappearance, and I was worried that they had been 'disposed' of there, making recovery nearly impossible.

Still... shitty as fuck. And I really hope the authorities look more into the deaths of the others.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    august wrote: »

To one extent or another. But you don’t need a conspiracy to figure out that people are bored, unemployed and don’t have any bars or movie theatres to go to.

Though the conspiracy element is that it's the police doing it, with pop up shops selling off comercial grade fireworks from cancelled displays apparently appearing in car parks next to police precincts etc.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    I definitely buy into the theory that the cancelation has lead to suppliers being desperate to unload a whole lot of inventory.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »

Though the conspiracy element is that it's the police doing it, with pop up shops selling off comercial grade fireworks from cancelled displays apparently appearing in car parks next to police precincts etc.

I’m guessing a lot of that is not so much any organized “conspiracy” as it is municipalities and commercially licensed fireworks displayers trying to recoup loss by grey market selling now-unneeded inventory.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's pretty easy for 'memes' to become a conspiracy and the two to keep feeding each other in a vicious circle.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    My dads gone deep down the Covid 19 is fake hole.

I really dont know where he gets it from. Ever since he retired he's spent more and more time on Facebook reposting really questionable stuff (like fake news reports).IDK how he cant tell that stuff is faked. He's convinced the media is lying to everyone one. Refuses to wear a mask. Convinced Obama, Hillary and Soros are in on it.

I just want my old man back.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Hey, Doomguy knows what he is about.

And he is all about that rip and that tear.

Would you say that ...

He's all about that rip?
    'bout that rip?
    And tearin'?

He's all about that rip?
    'bout that rip?
    And tearin'?

He's all about that rip?
    'bout that rip?
    And tearin'?

He's all about that rip,
    'bout that rip.

I really dont know where he gets it from. Ever since he retired he's spent more and more time on Facebook reposting really questionable stuff (like fake news reports).IDK how he cant tell that stuff is faked. He's convinced the media is lying to everyone one. Refuses to wear a mask. Convinced Obama, Hillary and Soros are in on it.

Holy shit do I know that feeling.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Facebook. Facebook should be deleted for the good of the public at this point.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I just dont know why he, and so many in his generation put so much faith in facebook posts.

It's like the current form of chain emails but much worse.

JusticeforPluto on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

:bro:

I'm going through the same thing. :(

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Tastyfish wrote: »

That doesn't seem like it needs a conspiracy theory...if we accept (some) of these firework stands are municipalities selling off unneeded fireworks, police departments are typically co-located with other municipal buildings. Fire departments too, which are often in charge of the firework displays.

So yeah, accepting the 'municipal surplus firework' premise it would be weirder if they weren't popping up near police stations.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I just dont know why he, and so many in his generation put so much faith in facebook posts.

It's like the current form of chain emails but much worse.
    People trust people they personally know, and people who affirm their preconceived world view. That trust is implicitly extended to the people those people trust.

It's not an aging thing, it's a "how much time are you willing to spend being cynical about your own beliefs?" thing.

(Though I am curious if growing up in the Cronkite era vs the Ailes era has a marked difference on how willing you are to trust people when they claim to be passing on second-hand news that challenges your world view. 'Steve said he heard it on the way to work. I missed it, but I trust that one news station we have, and I trust Steve.' 40 years and an infinite spectrum of alternative facts later, you still trust Steve- of course you trust Steve- and Steve posted it on Facebook.)

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    The thing happening to old people on the internet is the same thing happening to young people on the internet.

Both groups don't have the skills to recognize demagogues and follow their slimy seduction to 'belong to a group', both old and young people feeling kind of alone.

Young people because they're going through puberty and young adulthood and don't have the experience, and are afraid to be caught in an "outside group", since school very much teaches you how awful that is, and old people because they often are pretty alone and see an opportunity to be part of a group again.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.