Options

Mods know too much about the [Conspiracy Theories] thread

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Area 51 and alien conspiracy nuts are pretty harmless IMO. There's no need to shoot them, as mentioned above, there's surely nothing all that sensitive at Area 51 anyway, move out what is and let the dummies in and get some positive publicity out of it if anything really ever happened en masse (it won't)

Now, those land stealing rancher psychos threatening war with the Feds and pointing assault weapons at police and taking over national monuments should be dealt with with extreme prejudice. Those are the assholes that get away with it every time and are a real danger.

You can't be black and belligerent towards the cops in this country without being beaten or shot to death, but these sov citizen motherfuckers seem to get away with anything they want.

Xantomas on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Im not sure they do? They consistently lose in court because they are spectacularly ignorant.

As for pointing weapons at police, those guys get done too. Jerry Delemys is in jail. Robert Finicum is in the ground.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    When I did night security for an apartment building, some old guy tried to tell me that the run off from paper mills (or something) was a super cure-all being held back by big pharma via government regulation. I wish I’d had the awareness at the time to tell him that if it really was that good and not just poison, pharmaceutical companies would buy it all up and sell it at a premium.

As someone who used to work in a paper mill, the mental image of someone drinking a glass of untreated effluent is just...wow.

Stuff is chock full of nasty things we had to mechanically, chemically, and biologically remove before it was considered safe to put back in the river.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited July 2019
    furlion wrote: »
    Part of me really hopes a good size group shows up, and the military kills a few of them.

I shouldn't have to say this, but don't post stuff like this wishing death on people.

Bogart on
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    I think the Area 51 Facebook event is up over a million people now? If even 100,000 show up, that's a huge deal. If even 10,000 people show up, that's probably more than can easily be riot controlled. Most actual riots have well less than 10,000 people in one place. It could also very quickly turn into a humanitarian problem if you have 10,000+ people show up in the desert with probably not enough water or food and unreliable transportation back to civilization.

If I were the USAF I would lean all the way in. Set up the base as a tourist trap "Alien Welcome Center" for a day. Have guys in rubber alien suits dancing around and hand out cheesy plastic UFO paraphernalia like you see at gift shops. Maybe have MIGs in hangers for people to look at. Then give everyone a bottle of water, a portajohn to pee in, and a bus ride back to Vegas and call it a day.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    It's not the first time some conspiracy group has had a sign up like this. I think it's the first one to become an actual internet joke, which inflated the sign up numbers but won't do much to real attendance.

The previous biggest as far as I know goes to chemtrailers. 25k sign ups, three or four actually showed up. Pizzagate had one, too, few hundred sign ups, one show up.

Similar non-conspiracy events include the DC truck blockade and a similar biker event - thousands and tens of thousands of sign ups, respectively, ones and fives of actual attendees.

Activisim is HARD, whether it's rational or not. Clicking an internet button is super easy.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    That many can not show up.

The local infrastructure for people to stay (food/shelter/lodging)around there is not big enough.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    It also makes for a confluence of Conspiracy Theory shenanigans, and how fucked our current geopolitical situation is.

If someone told me that this Area 51 thing was just some Russians trolling the US while also hoping to start a domestic incident/fuck with the US military and wasting time, attention and resources, I'd believe it.

If someone then told me that was all a ruse, it's actually home grown, and I just fell for my own self-made conspiracy theory, I guess I'd just shrug and say 'oh, well, guess I got myself there'.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »
    I think the Area 51 Facebook event is up over a million people now? If even 100,000 show up, that's a huge deal. If even 10,000 people show up, that's probably more than can easily be riot controlled. Most actual riots have well less than 10,000 people in one place. It could also very quickly turn into a humanitarian problem if you have 10,000+ people show up in the desert with probably not enough water or food and unreliable transportation back to civilization.

If I were the USAF I would lean all the way in. Set up the base as a tourist trap "Alien Welcome Center" for a day. Have guys in rubber alien suits dancing around and hand out cheesy plastic UFO paraphernalia like you see at gift shops. Maybe have MIGs in hangers for people to look at. Then give everyone a bottle of water, a portajohn to pee in, and a bus ride back to Vegas and call it a day.

With how the USAF is asking people not to attend via the threat of violence I feel this would be a better thing as it would cost a couple of thousand to set up and you can spin it as good will

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    It's not the first time some conspiracy group has had a sign up like this. I think it's the first one to become an actual internet joke, which inflated the sign up numbers but won't do much to real attendance.

The previous biggest as far as I know goes to chemtrailers. 25k sign ups, three or four actually showed up. Pizzagate had one, too, few hundred sign ups, one show up.

Similar non-conspiracy events include the DC truck blockade and a similar biker event - thousands and tens of thousands of sign ups, respectively, ones and fives of actual attendees.

Activisim is HARD, whether it's rational or not. Clicking an internet button is super easy.

There's whole anti-vax cruises and conferences, Aliens is a little wackier (and less scam ridden perhaps?) but I could easily believe a few thousand could turn up.
    Think it really depends if any organisations are doing the logistics, seems like you could make a lot of money taking early bookings for coaches knowing a lot won't turn up when you send out your confirmation requests a day or two before.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »

There's whole anti-vax cruises and conferences, Aliens is a little wackier (and less scam ridden perhaps?) but I could easily believe a few thousand could turn up.
    Think it really depends if any organisations are doing the logistics, seems like you could make a lot of money taking early bookings for coaches knowing a lot won't turn up when you send out your confirmation requests a day or two before.

Wait anti-vax cruises? There are just so many ways that seems like an incredibly bad idea.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I dunno, they could get marooned. No vaccines for them, no antivaxxers for us. Seems dope, really.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    I thought everyone knew all the aliens shit was moved to a secret bunker under Hanger 18 at the Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton, Ohio?

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Ah but we can access any American military base in the world via the underground highways connecting the Dulce Base with the rest of America's military infrastructure!

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    I thought everyone knew all the aliens shit was moved to a secret bunker under Hanger 18 at the Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton, Ohio?

There was a guy whom people kept showing me on youtube about this underground base and the running battle they had with the aliens

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Someone at work is convinced that the aliens are scared of us. I started to try and explain all the ways that is blatantly impossible but my mind went too many places at once and I sounded like I was having a stroke.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    That many can not show up.

The local infrastructure for people to stay (food/shelter/lodging)around there is not big enough.

I mean, they can show up. Not enough food, water, etc won’t be a concern until they’re actually there.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Someone at work is convinced that the aliens are scared of us. I started to try and explain all the ways that is blatantly impossible but my mind went too many places at once and I sounded like I was having a stroke.

We are a scary species, I can honestly see a variety of contact scenarios where a technologically superior species would still consider us a danger.

A. A peaceful visitor once they investigate how we might react to contact - our cultural fascination with both annihilation scenarios and asymmetric warfare against alien Invaders, and the ubiquity of stories in which alien visitors are autopsied or experimented upon.
    B. A species capable of interstellar travel, but with limited ability to project force over such distances - while we would have a military disadvantage they would have an extreme logistical disadvantage, while we are armed hilariously beyond our own defensive capabilities.
    C. A species not capable of personal interstellar travel who have robotic missions to our environs and have gathered what data they can, drawing similar conclusions to group A but less tempered by accurate gauging of our real capabilities.
    D. The builders of the (For this scenario real and manned) Roswell saucer, who have already underestimated us resulting in the loss of a craft and crew, who now must also contend with determining what we might have gleaned from the wreckage and bodies, or Zarquon forbid survivors.
    E. I consider the sci-fi standard of humans advancing faster than anyone else (see: Star Trek's Earth-Romulus War, Mass Effect's First Contact War, the later Stargate series, etc) rather silly in general, but in one to one comparisons it's reasonable that another species spent much longer in technological stages we've blown through in the last few hundred years, and might be alarmed to have discovered us in a late pre-industrial age and the follow up mission found a swarm of satellites and a permanent manned space station and robots all over the solar system and thousands of doomsday weapons and isotopic evidence that we've actually USED them.

Hevach on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

We are a scary species, I can honestly see a variety of contact scenarios where a technologically superior species would still consider us a danger.

A. A peaceful visitor once they investigate how we might react to contact - our cultural fascination with both annihilation scenarios and asymmetric warfare against alien Invaders, and the ubiquity of stories in which alien visitors are autopsied or experimented upon.
    B. A species capable of interstellar travel, but with limited ability to project force over such distances - while we would have a military disadvantage they would have an extreme logistical disadvantage, while we are armed hilariously beyond our own defensive capabilities.
    C. A species not capable of personal interstellar travel who have robotic missions to our environs and have gathered what data they can, drawing similar conclusions to group A but less tempered by accurate gauging of our real capabilities.
    D. The builders of the (For this scenario real and manned) Roswell saucer, who have already underestimated us resulting in the loss of a craft and crew, who now must also contend with determining what we might have gleaned from the wreckage and bodies, or Zarquon forbid survivors.
    E. I consider the sci-fi standard of humans advancing faster than anyone else (see: Star Trek's Earth-Romulus War, Mass Effect's First Contact War, the later Stargate series, etc) rather silly in general, but in one to one comparisons it's reasonable that another species spent much longer in technological stages we've blown through in the last few hundred years, and might be alarmed to have discovered us in a late pre-industrial age and the follow up mission found a swarm of satellites and a permanent manned space station and robots all over the solar system and thousands of doomsday weapons and isotopic evidence that we've actually USED them.

There was a sci-fi series I remember where humans get recruited as soldiers for an on-going pan-galactic conflict because when one side finds our planet they are like "Holy shit you people are violent. What is wrong with the lot of you?"

• Options
    edited July 2019
    chrisnl wrote: »

Wait anti-vax cruises? There are just so many ways that seems like an incredibly bad idea.

Sorry, getting my conspiracies mixed up (or maybe stumbling upon a deeper truth!), apparently I meant Flat Earth cruises*. Anti-vaxxers just hold depressing conferences cosplaying as actual medical ones.

* No better yet it was a bitcoin cruise I was thinking of, the Flat Earth expedition is setting off next year. Though it did make sense to me that the bitcoin cruise was infested with various Goldbug speakers and businesses, thirsty for booty. Pretty sure there were some antivax guys speaking there too, or at least with a stall.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    shryke wrote: »

There was a sci-fi series I remember where humans get recruited as soldiers for an on-going pan-galactic conflict because when one side finds our planet they are like "Holy shit you people are violent. What is wrong with the lot of you?"

This is basically the backstory of the Inhumans - a galaxy crushing empire that routinely destroys entire star systems and considers extinction a primary victory condition in trade disputes found primitive humans and went, "Dude, what the fuck?"

Hevach on
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Sorry, getting my conspiracies mixed up (or maybe stumbling upon a deeper truth!), apparently I meant Flat Earth cruises*. Anti-vaxxers just hold depressing conferences cosplaying as actual medical ones.

* No better yet it was a bitcoin cruise I was thinking of, the Flat Earth expedition is setting off next year. Though it did make sense to me that the bitcoin cruise was infested with various Goldbug speakers and businesses, thirsty for booty. Pretty sure there were some antivax guys speaking there too, or at least with a stall.

"This is your captain speaking, I'm afraid we're taking a slight detour from your original cruise and we'll be following the path of the Magellan-Elcano Expedition. Sorry for the convenience."

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Wait, the south pole has land - so surely the edges are at the north pole where there is only ice? Not sure if it's more aesthetically pleasing to have all the 'spokes' of the continents pointing inwards to the hub in Antarctica rather than to the edge.

Wait a second more - is there a reason all the pointy bits of continents go down? The Americas - flat top, pointy bottom. Africa - flat top, pointy bottom, Asia/India - flat top, pointy bottom, Indonesia/Australasia - excluded because they don't fit this pattern! Was Antarctica the hub of Pangaea, with the pointy bits coming from splitting a roughly circular continent out from a central core?

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

Don't be ridiculous, Veevee.

Everybody knows they're all in the Denver airport.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Flat earthers believe there's a strictly enforced no touching zone around Antarctica and civilians can't get close enough to even see the coast.

You might think you recognize this as an absurdly easy thing to debunk but you'd be wrong because something something globist propaganda.

Hevach on
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Flat earthers believe there's a strictly enforced no touching zone around Antarctica and civilians can't get close enough to even see the coast.

You might think you recognize this as an absurdly easy thing to debunk but you'd be wrong because something something globist propaganda.

That's why the Flat Earth cruise is sticking to warmer Caribbean waters. That and the whole holiday thing, let's not be crazy here.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited July 2019

Alan Dean Foster's The Damned trilogy

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options

I read a short story by maybe Asimov where other humanoid species could not get hysterical for lack of a better word in groups larger then 5. So no mobs, no lynches, no huge masses of emotionally charged people period. They thought we would win because we would function better as military units since we could almost form a hive mind like unit in our zealotry.

Also while that list is cool, he specifically meant afraid they would lose to us in a fight. The odds of a species being advanced enough to reach us but primitive enough to not be able to wipe us out is too big of a stretch for me.

Also you forgot about the bug menace.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

I read a short story by maybe Asimov where other humanoid species could not get hysterical for lack of a better word in groups larger then 5. So no mobs, no lynches, no huge masses of emotionally charged people period. They thought we would win because we would function better as military units since we could almost form a hive mind like unit in our zealotry.

Also while that list is cool, he specifically meant afraid they would lose to us in a fight. The odds of a species being advanced enough to reach us but primitive enough to not be able to wipe us out is too big of a stretch for me.

There was an old short story with that premise. "A different path" or something like that.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

There was an old short story with that premise. "A different path" or something like that.

"Road Not Taken"

On my phone or I'd link

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options

No that was a different story the path less traveled or something like that. They accidentally discovered space travel, but still had 1800's tech in every other area. They show up with muskets and our military mows them down.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

No that was a different story the path less traveled or something like that. They accidentally discovered space travel, but still had 1800's tech in every other area. They show up with muskets and our military mows them down.

That's the one. That seems to fit his premise, advanced enough to reach us but not enough to defeat us.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Yeah if aliens were hostile we'd be dead already, assuming some stuff about UFO sightings

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

The Road Not Taken by Harry Turtledove. Maybe my favorite sci fi short story.

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Human Beings are innately good at three things. Killing, Fucking, and Problem Solving.

We are terrifying as a species.

• Options
    Just slowly walking after a wounded mammoth like fucking Michael Myers, just implacable and tireless.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Just slowly walking after a wounded mammoth like fucking Michael Myers, just implacable and tireless.

And then we step on the wrong twig and die of an infection :P

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular

Don't forget throwing things. While there are a few other species that can throw things, there's not many, and we're better than most of them. This allows us to attack food/predators from a distance, which prevents us from getting hurt. (Thus allowing us to wound the mammoth without getting into goring range.)

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

And then we step on the wrong twig and die of an infection :P

Those that survived the Twig Wars came out stronger and more ready to destroy the alien fiends!

They still pass the stories down of that nightmare; The Twig Wars turned brother against brother as one could never know if the twigs used for campfire and hunting were “wrong” or “right” until it was too late. One moment, your nomadic tribe is resting after a long day of foraging, the next moment, the pile of twigs for tonight’s fire leaps upon the unsuspecting people. Those that survive look for whom to blame, so they turn upon each other, always wary of the next time someone brings back a “wrong” twig...

The nightmare only ended at great cost.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
This discussion has been closed.