As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mods know too much about the [Conspiracy Theories] thread

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't say Jim Carrey is AAA. He's still a major star, but not AAA.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    On purpose or not, I guarantee you that if Sonic looked fine from the beginning, the movie wouldn’t do as well as it will now because of the outrage.

Before it was just another nostalgic filled cash grab, now it’s a nostalgic filled cash grab that got the internet invested. More people will watch it because they think they fixed it.

The kids at the Frozen 2 screening I was at loved the shit out of the Sonic trailer, so I think you're misjudging how popular it's going to be with the target audience.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    If the new model has similar geometry to the original, it may just be a matter of replacing the model and rerendering all of the scenes it's in. As long as nothing breaks, the existing choreography can remain completely intact.

Now, I know practically nothing of 3D animating, but I do read people who do so I’m just gonna say this is BS. Most everything in a model is linked together, in a way that they definitely had to reanimate basically everything about him and whatever he touched.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Also, like...

If Tyson Hesse had truly been involved with the Sonic film from the beginning, they could have gotten a lot of goodwill from the Sonic fan-base by publicizing that. Tyson is a Sonic super-fan who went from doing dumb joke comics back in 2009 to being hired on to work on offical Sonic the Hedgehog comic books for both Archie Comics and IDW and animating the opening cutscene for SEGA's Sonic Mania video game, so he's been involved in the franchise professionally from a number of angles for a while now.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    On purpose or not, I guarantee you that if Sonic looked fine from the beginning, the movie wouldn’t do as well as it will now because of the outrage.

Before it was just another nostalgic filled cash grab, now it’s a nostalgic filled cash grab that got the internet invested. More people will watch it because they think they fixed it.

The kids at the Frozen 2 screening I was at loved the shit out of the Sonic trailer, so I think you're misjudging how popular it's going to be with the target audience.

I don’t understand this. How can I possibly be misjudging the internet reaction and the fact that they did change the Sonic model as anything but a rebuke of the original design?

If their target audience loved it, then they wouldn’t have pushed the movie back four months or spent five million dollars to fix it.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options

I don’t understand this. How can I possibly be misjudging the internet reaction and the fact that they did change the Sonic model as anything but a rebuke of the original design?

If their target audience loved it, then they wouldn’t have pushed the movie back four months or spent five million dollars to fix it.

You misunderstand, they loved the shit out of the trailer that was shown with the re-designed Sonic. Point being, why would cooking up a fake controversy about re-designing Sonic have anything to do with the film appealing to children?

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

You misunderstand, they loved the shit out of the trailer that was shown with the re-designed Sonic. Point being, why would cooking up a fake controversy about re-designing Sonic have anything to do with the film appealing to children?

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood.

But that’s what I mean about the outrage getting people invested and more likely to watch the movie. If Sonic looked acceptable from the very beginning, the only people that would watch the movie would be the target audience, as you say. But because people got so outraged, many people who wouldn’t normally watch the movie will feel like they have to see it in order to justify how they felt before.

My assertion is that, purposeful or not, the outrage at Sonic’s original design, the strong internet reaction, and the subsequent fix will mean more people will watch the movie than if there was never any outrage at all.

The conspiracy would be they know the movie is poop from a butt, so they manufacture a non-offensive controversy in order to get people invested and let the Sunk Cost Fallacy do the rest. Now that’s not what happened, but I thought it would have been a clever bit of marketing if it were.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    If the new model has similar geometry to the original, it may just be a matter of replacing the model and rerendering all of the scenes it's in. As long as nothing breaks, the existing choreography can remain completely intact.

“All of the scenes it was in” would be mainly the trailer. The only real big ask is makong sure the eye level is in the right spot since you have to position actors to look at where the model is going to be. But that is nbd for this kind of animation since eye level can be so fluid for a small animation

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited December 2019

Now, I know practically nothing of 3D animating, but I do read people who do so I’m just gonna say this is BS. Most everything in a model is linked together, in a way that they definitely had to reanimate basically everything about him and whatever he touched.

It is and it isn't. You're not animating vertex by vertex, the relationship between the mesh topology and the animation input is abstracted through a system of bones with influence envelopes and fancy tools. Making a new animation rig isn't no work, but it's probably not going to be a significant amount of labor relative to the overall VFX effort; and these seem like pretty minor tweaks as far as his body is concerned. They may have needed to completely overhaul his face rig, but my theory is that they just went back to the original rig they made before the suits told them to fuck it up.

Then, if his skeleton has the same structure, animations don't even need to be retargeted. If it also has roughly the same proportions then nothing else in the scene may need to change.

From the only side by side still I've seen, it looks like his pelvis is higher, but his torso is shorter, which keeps his shoulders in the same place, so an animation of him nudging something with his elbow will still line up with whatever that thing is in the scene.

PS Edit: Also, it's a movie, not a game, so absolute control over the perspective means they can cheat a lot, and this certainly isn't Avatar, so there isn't going to be some sophisticated procedural environment that will suffer cascading failures because his big eyes now attract the AI moths, disrupting their simulated mating cycle and sending ripples up the food chain.

If he's 4" too tall for the shot and you can't see below his knees, they can just put him 4" into the ground and be done with it.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    George Zimmerman is a swell guy and is suing Trayvon Martin's family based on claims of a right wing conspiracy theorist:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/george-zimmerman-sues-trayvon-martins-family-with-help-from-right-wing-lawyer-larry-klayman

VoodooV on
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    What a jackass.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular

They didn't change the look because their target audience hated it. They changed it because of the outrage on the internet
    and while the kids didn't care. The people who take those kids to the theatre would see that outrage and go see something else.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Mc zany wrote: »

They didn't change the look because their target audience hated it. They changed it because of the outrage on the internet
    and while the kids didn't care. The people who take those kids to the theatre would see that outrage and go see something else.

Most of what I saw wasn’t outrage, though, it was mirth. Like, people were making fun of it. A lot of folk, myself included, were planning to see it because it was going to be a trashfire.

Then a relative few started sending death threats to the animators (never happens the bosses, for some reason), and that’s what got the attention.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Sonic's creepy teeth made it onto several late night shows. People who barely knew what he was could immediately see the problem. It wasn't that the design was unfaithful, its that it was ugly and weird, and became an object of ridicule well beyond the internet. Yeah some people would see it knowing its trash, but others don't want to watch a kid's movie become a horror show let alone take their kids to see that. Its also setting up an absolute failure for merchandise, which is probably more important than the movie itself.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Sonic's creepy teeth made it onto several late night shows. People who barely knew what he was could immediately see the problem. It wasn't that the design was unfaithful, its that it was ugly and weird, and became an object of ridicule well beyond the internet. Yeah some people would see it knowing its trash, but others don't want to watch a kid's movie become a horror show let alone take their kids to see that. Its also setting up an absolute failure for merchandise, which is probably more important than the movie itself.

It was bad publicity. Going and fixing it gives them good publicity. As long as it didn't cost too much, it's an easy decision on their part.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I work with someone whose SO is friends with the person in charge of the Sonic redesign (so obviously, fifth-hand information on the internet.. it must be true!). Apparently it wasn't actually much work, all things considered. The movie could have still come out on time even with the redesign; the reason it was delayed is because they had to redo so much merchandise. If that's true then I think it's a good bet there was no conspiracy. If they were planning to 'have to redesign to appease the fans' or whatever then they would have held off on putting Trash Fire Sanic into the merch pipeline.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I work with someone whose SO is friends with the person in charge of the Sonic redesign (so obviously, fifth-hand information on the internet.. it must be true!). Apparently it wasn't actually much work, all things considered. The movie could have still come out on time even with the redesign; the reason it was delayed is because they had to redo so much merchandise. If that's true then I think it's a good bet there was no conspiracy. If they were planning to 'have to redesign to appease the fans' or whatever then they would have held off on putting Trash Fire Sanic into the merch pipeline.

That stuff is worth a fortune, and probably handed out to a select group of senior managers for approval (with perhaps a few extra for friends and family), so here's where the real conspiracy begins.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    There's a particular source in the free energy community of what's called a Quantum Energy Generator. This is a large toroidal something driven by a large electric motor, it's kind of hard to get any solid info because none of the knockoffs seem to work and the original guy charges ten grand for a copy of the blueprint.

The claim is that it uses an alpha wave accelerator to generate a radio frequency resonance that creates a 10:1 output:input ratio.

Well, thanks to an idiot inciting a panic, a nuclear expert got to look at one.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2019/12/05/emergency-crews-investigating-report-possible-small-nuclear-reactor-ohio-garage/2625141001/

Police had a guy call with burns all over his hands and arms, explaining that they were alpha wave burns from the accelerator of his quantum energy generator.

All those big words made the police think they were dealing with a redux of the nuclear boyscout. So they evacuated the area and mobilized everything. A nuclear expert looked at the device and quickly determined what it was, and finally gives some insight into how the scan might work.

Basically, the quantum energy generator is just a system to charge a huge capacitor. You can measure very high outputs because that's basically what a capacitor does. The guy seems to have burned himself trying to connect something to the output and discovering why capacitors can put out so much on so little input - because it all comes out at once.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I just listened to a two-part podcast series about the murder of Girly Chew Hossencofft and, my god, it has to be in the top five most bizarre true crime stories ever.

Here are some choice quotes from an archived news story on the case:
    In a case with quirky testimony about aliens, UFOs and a smashed vial of blood, a New Mexico fashion designer faced a death sentence for the murder of a woman whose body has never been found.

Friends of the defendant, Linda Henning, insist she was brain-washed, drugged — or both — by the victim's husband, Henning's alleged lover.
    ---
    Police built a circumstantial case against Diazien Hossencofft, 37, and he pleaded guilty to murder in January 2002 to avoid a potential death sentence for the abduction of his wife of seven years. But Hossencofft told authorities that Henning, his girlfriend, did not participate in the crime and that he inadvertently implicated her when he used a vial of her blood to throw off investigators.

Henning, who has said she believes that the U.S. and other world governments are run by puppets controlled by reptilian-alien masters, was indicted by a grand jury on 20 counts, including first-degree murder, kidnapping, tampering with evidence and perjury.

A third alleged co-conspirator with militia ties was implicated by Diazien Hossencofft as the actual killer, but a grand jury indicted the man, 52-year-old Bill Miller, only on evidence tampering charges.
    ---
    Hossencofft says he agreed to let Bill Miller and his militia friends kill Girly Hossencofft because they needed to practice killing humans before the final showdown with the emerging "New World Order."
    ---
    Despite his statements to the contrary, police have long suspected that Hossencofft wanted his wife dead to deny her a fair share of the marital property. There was also speculation that she knew too much about her husband, including the fact that he had been conning people for years.

He told Henning that he was a physician, ex-CIA scientist and had invented a cure for cancer. He told others that he was 2,000 years old, invented a youth serum and had genetically engineered his son. Since his arrest, Hossencofft has admitted to being engaged to three women at once and to taking hundreds of thousands of dollars from cancer patients for his "cure," which were in reality shots of vitamin B6.

Stephen Zachary of New York, a former boyfriend of Henning's, said she tried to sell him on Hossencofft's cancer cure within weeks of meeting him during the summer of 1999. Zachary, who has an inoperable brain tumor and multiple sclerosis, insisted on a resume after Hossencofft made a bold claim.

"She put him on the phone with me. He says, 'I'm a doctor. I'll be able to cure all these problems you have,' " Zachary recalled.

After receiving a fax of Hossencofft's lengthy "curriculum vitae," Zachary gave it to private investigator Steven Trusnovec, a friend, to corroborate. Trusnovec said he sensed that Hossencofft was not as advertised as soon he saw the poorly organized document with numerous misspellings.

It took Trusnovec an afternoon to confirm what he suspected. Hossencofft was not a doctor, a medical school he listed did not exist, and the school he claimed to have his undergraduate degree from was a women's college.

"I told Linda, 'This guy's a conman. He's a fraud and he's trying to set you up,' " Zachary said.

Henning became belligerent, according to Zachary, and insisted that he had blown Hossencofft's "cover story" by having him checked out. Zachary said he was not sure exactly how bad a situation his friend was in until the letters started coming.

"This is a spiritual war as well as a physical one. The humans stored in cryo-stasis will have their souls (life essence) extracted and dissipated ..., " Henning wrote in all capital letters about a month before the disappearance of Girly Hossencofft. "The reptilians are led by a queen back on the moonbase. I know this sounds like sci-fi, but I was told the sci-fi stuff was created so in case this story ever gets out, no one will believe it."

Henning urged Zachary to obtain his cranial X-rays from his doctors so that they could be analyzed for signs of "small molecule crystals which can hear or see what you do." She claimed Hossencofft carved one out of his leg and further claimed that President Bush is a "full-fledge reptilian" who uses holograms to project a human face.

Source

I have to also mention that Linda Henning and Diazien Hossencofft first met at a David Icke seminar, that Henning came to believe Girly Hossencofft was a reptilian queen, and that during the trial a friend of her's testified that Henning had shown her a ninja sword (which police had found in Henning's attic) and said she would have to use it to fight more reptilian queens in a battle for dominance.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    ... huh.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I envy these people their cosmic struggle.

I'm here trying to get my light fittings replaced and they're fighting alien reptile queens.

• Options
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/14/business/lawyers-exhumation-gerald-cotten-intl-scli/index.html
    https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/11/the-strange-tale-of-quadriga-gerald-cotten

Going to cross post from the bitcoin thread, because last time this guy was in the news it seemed worth it.

Backstory: Quadriga was (allegedly) Canada's biggest cryptocurrency exchange.

The owner Gerald Cotten ostensibly died while on holiday in India, specifically in a city known as the world capitol of faking your death (you can get your own death certificate issued by showing up at a government office and signing a form that you died), due to complications of Crohn's disease, which is a very long and gruesome way to die (also vanishingly rare in the developed world), and Cotten supposedly went from perfectly healthy to dead in a matter of hours.

Nearly all of Quadriga's coins were stored in cold wallets and only Cotton knew the passwords to them, so about US$200 million across several currencies, owned by 115,000 customers, was just straight up lost.

What came out after Cotten's "death" started to rack up:

Cotten's business parter Michael Patryn turned out to be convicted identity thief using a stolen identity to run the company (he'd had a series of name changes in both Canada and the US to obscure his original name).

The bank that Quadriga supposedly used reported that there was no account held by the company or either of its employees, they actually held all their money through processors like Paypal and had no accounting records for either fiat or crypto currency.

Blockchain analysis suggested Quadriga never actually had the coins they lost, and likely the whole company was a ponzi scheme.

And now the coup de gras: lawyers for screwed customers have convinced a Canadian judge that Cotton might have faked his death and now his grave is going to be exhumed for autopsy and identity confirmation. Presumably also to check his pockets for passwords.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I just listened to a two-part podcast series about the murder of Girly Chew Hossencofft and, my god, it has to be in the top five most bizarre true crime stories ever.

Here are some choice quotes from an archived news story on the case:
    In a case with quirky testimony about aliens, UFOs and a smashed vial of blood, a New Mexico fashion designer faced a death sentence for the murder of a woman whose body has never been found.

Friends of the defendant, Linda Henning, insist she was brain-washed, drugged — or both — by the victim's husband, Henning's alleged lover.
    ---
    Police built a circumstantial case against Diazien Hossencofft, 37, and he pleaded guilty to murder in January 2002 to avoid a potential death sentence for the abduction of his wife of seven years. But Hossencofft told authorities that Henning, his girlfriend, did not participate in the crime and that he inadvertently implicated her when he used a vial of her blood to throw off investigators.

Henning, who has said she believes that the U.S. and other world governments are run by puppets controlled by reptilian-alien masters, was indicted by a grand jury on 20 counts, including first-degree murder, kidnapping, tampering with evidence and perjury.

A third alleged co-conspirator with militia ties was implicated by Diazien Hossencofft as the actual killer, but a grand jury indicted the man, 52-year-old Bill Miller, only on evidence tampering charges.
    ---
    Hossencofft says he agreed to let Bill Miller and his militia friends kill Girly Hossencofft because they needed to practice killing humans before the final showdown with the emerging "New World Order."
    ---
    Despite his statements to the contrary, police have long suspected that Hossencofft wanted his wife dead to deny her a fair share of the marital property. There was also speculation that she knew too much about her husband, including the fact that he had been conning people for years.

He told Henning that he was a physician, ex-CIA scientist and had invented a cure for cancer. He told others that he was 2,000 years old, invented a youth serum and had genetically engineered his son. Since his arrest, Hossencofft has admitted to being engaged to three women at once and to taking hundreds of thousands of dollars from cancer patients for his "cure," which were in reality shots of vitamin B6.

Stephen Zachary of New York, a former boyfriend of Henning's, said she tried to sell him on Hossencofft's cancer cure within weeks of meeting him during the summer of 1999. Zachary, who has an inoperable brain tumor and multiple sclerosis, insisted on a resume after Hossencofft made a bold claim.

"She put him on the phone with me. He says, 'I'm a doctor. I'll be able to cure all these problems you have,' " Zachary recalled.

After receiving a fax of Hossencofft's lengthy "curriculum vitae," Zachary gave it to private investigator Steven Trusnovec, a friend, to corroborate. Trusnovec said he sensed that Hossencofft was not as advertised as soon he saw the poorly organized document with numerous misspellings.

It took Trusnovec an afternoon to confirm what he suspected. Hossencofft was not a doctor, a medical school he listed did not exist, and the school he claimed to have his undergraduate degree from was a women's college.

"I told Linda, 'This guy's a conman. He's a fraud and he's trying to set you up,' " Zachary said.

Henning became belligerent, according to Zachary, and insisted that he had blown Hossencofft's "cover story" by having him checked out. Zachary said he was not sure exactly how bad a situation his friend was in until the letters started coming.

"This is a spiritual war as well as a physical one. The humans stored in cryo-stasis will have their souls (life essence) extracted and dissipated ..., " Henning wrote in all capital letters about a month before the disappearance of Girly Hossencofft. "The reptilians are led by a queen back on the moonbase. I know this sounds like sci-fi, but I was told the sci-fi stuff was created so in case this story ever gets out, no one will believe it."

Henning urged Zachary to obtain his cranial X-rays from his doctors so that they could be analyzed for signs of "small molecule crystals which can hear or see what you do." She claimed Hossencofft carved one out of his leg and further claimed that President Bush is a "full-fledge reptilian" who uses holograms to project a human face.

Source

I have to also mention that Linda Henning and Diazien Hossencofft first met at a David Icke seminar, that Henning came to believe Girly Hossencofft was a reptilian queen, and that during the trial a friend of her's testified that Henning had shown her a ninja sword (which police had found in Henning's attic) and said she would have to use it to fight more reptilian queens in a battle for dominance.

Jesus, the *truth* behind this one is worth a post in this thread, but it's buried so deep at the core of a nebula of crazy that it's threatening to ignite with the fury of a thousand suns.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    ...but why would the lizard queens fight using human weapons?

This fan fiction is just terrible.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/14/business/lawyers-exhumation-gerald-cotten-intl-scli/index.html
    https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/11/the-strange-tale-of-quadriga-gerald-cotten

Going to cross post from the bitcoin thread, because last time this guy was in the news it seemed worth it.

Backstory: Quadriga was (allegedly) Canada's biggest cryptocurrency exchange.

The owner Gerald Cotten ostensibly died while on holiday in India, specifically in a city known as the world capitol of faking your death (you can get your own death certificate issued by showing up at a government office and signing a form that you died), due to complications of Crohn's disease, which is a very long and gruesome way to die (also vanishingly rare in the developed world), and Cotten supposedly went from perfectly healthy to dead in a matter of hours.

Nearly all of Quadriga's coins were stored in cold wallets and only Cotton knew the passwords to them, so about US$200 million across several currencies, owned by 115,000 customers, was just straight up lost.

What came out after Cotten's "death" started to rack up:

Cotten's business parter Michael Patryn turned out to be convicted identity thief using a stolen identity to run the company (he'd had a series of name changes in both Canada and the US to obscure his original name).

The bank that Quadriga supposedly used reported that there was no account held by the company or either of its employees, they actually held all their money through processors like Paypal and had no accounting records for either fiat or crypto currency.

Blockchain analysis suggested Quadriga never actually had the coins they lost, and likely the whole company was a ponzi scheme.

And now the coup de gras: lawyers for screwed customers have convinced a Canadian judge that Cotton might have faked his death and now his grave is going to be exhumed for autopsy and identity confirmation. Presumably also to check his pockets for passwords.

I love this because it just shows you can’t technology your way around human nature. There will always be someone with a bridge to sell, and people to sell it to, right up until the heat death of the universe

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    In all fairness it was impossible to predict that something called crypto currency that was fully embraced by anarcho capitalists could have possibly been associated with shady people or used to commit crime.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    This all reads like a techno thriller. But googling Crohn's disease reveals that although it is unlikely to cause sudden death, it can happen due to blockages or infections:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323438.php#life-threatening-complications

• Options
    In all fairness it was impossible to predict that something called crypto currency that was fully embraced by anarcho capitalists could have possibly been associated with shady people or used to commit crime.

Untraceable, irreversible, consequence free, zero recourse payment system that operates by running millions of computers at the redline in a global race to do pointless mathematical busywork. What could go wrong?

• Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I enjoy Berenstain/Berenstein and the Sinbad Shazaam movie, because they are a reminder of the truly spectacular creepiness of memory, which we don't notice most of the time.

Ok but in defense of the Berenstain/Berenstein Bears thing my dad took me to a book signing at an elementary school when I was 5 and I met Stan Berenstain. He 100% pronounced it "Berenstein". There's still a signed copy of The Berenstain Bears Get Stage Fright in a box somewhere at my parents house.

My head cannon is that at some point they just gave up and leaned into it.

I'll bet if you could find a tape of the event, it'd show that he clearly said "Berenstain".

I just wanted to point out that in basically any media where they pronounce "Berenstain" it sounds exactly like "Berenstein."

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    my favorite Mandela Effect talks are the ones where some boomer is clearly just confused because they learned geography on a mercator projection

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

One of the things that darkly amuses me is how so many people go into it planning to scam the other rubes, not realizing that they are the rubes being scammed. There was one cryptocurrency where a large group of people planned "secretly" to pump and dump the currency as a group for their own profit, not realizing that the organizer of this scheme was planning to scam them because he knew the exact second when they would start their pumping so he could time when to do his own manipulation. People think they're being very clever and sneaky with their Dunning-Krugerrands while being happily cheated out of everything they have.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    my favorite Mandela Effect talks are the ones where some boomer is clearly just confused because they learned geography on a mercator projection

Could you explain for my friend who hasn't heard this?

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited December 2019

Do you just mean stuff where like people seem to think Greenland is like the size of Africa and don’t seem to realize that Africa is fuckhuge? Or like thinking Brazil and India are the size of texas when they are really closer to almost the entire US minus Alaska?

Edit: or like when I flew from Atlanta to Japan and the route passed over the artic circle, people asked wouldn’t it be quicker to go over california and Hawaii... and no, it would not, at all.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

When I was in grade school, in geography class, I said that Australia was the world's largest island, assuming it counts as an island and not a continent. (I had looked up the size of Greenland and Austrailia in the lexicon, and Australia is more than 3 times bigger by land area.)

My teacher pulled down the rolldown map, and showed that Greenland was bigger than Australia. Hell, Greenland was the size of Africa (in reality, Africa is almost 14 times bigger).

She was completely unaware that this was an artifact of the map projection used (Marcator grossly exaggerates the size of anything close to a pole.)

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

When I was in grade school, in geography class, I said that Australia was the world's largest island, assuming it counts as an island and not a continent. (I had looked up the size of Greenland and Austrailia in the lexicon, and Australia is more than 3 times bigger by land area.)

My teacher pulled down the rolldown map, and showed that Greenland was bigger than Australia. Hell, Greenland was the size of Africa (in reality, Africa is almost 14 times bigger).

She was completely unaware that this was an artifact of the map projection used (Marcator grossly exaggerates the size of anything close to a pole.)

This kind of thing makes my stomach hurt. Like a random adult does it, I can roll my eyes. But a teacher? Ugh.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I still remember first being introduced to this concept during an episode of The West Wing of all things.

It's fascinating to see more accurate versions and how they address the issues that exist in the Marcator map.

Such as this one.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular

Do you just mean stuff where like people seem to think Greenland is like the size of Africa and don’t seem to realize that Africa is fuckhuge? Or like thinking Brazil and India are the size of texas when they are really closer to almost the entire US minus Alaska?

Edit: or like when I flew from Atlanta to Japan and the route passed over the artic circle, people asked wouldn’t it be quicker to go over california and Hawaii... and no, it would not, at all.

Also - isn't Mercator projection still the standard everywhere? I am not a boomer, but I am pretty sure, I learned on a Mercator projection map as well (somewhere in the late 80s to mid-90s).

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    In my school the giant map on the wall was a mercator, but ... square wall, square map. They definitely spent a little time pointing out the associated bias/error, though.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    I still remember first being introduced to this concept during an episode of The West Wing of all things.

It's fascinating to see more accurate versions and how they address the issues that exist in the Marcator map.

Such as this one.

p13ul2uvyd8o.png

I guess that works if you have no particular interest in symmetry or latitude in the southern hemisphere...

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

Same here. My teachers never pointed out the errors on the maps, or I don't remember it. But I do remember that West Wing episode (one of Leo's "Big block of cheese days") very well.

This discussion has been closed.