As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Join us in thread and [Steam] group chat!

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    All this talk of Bethesda made me remember that for some reason I couldn't find the option to nominate id Software in the Steam Nominations.

The closest option I had was Bethesda.

Was super mad because id Software deserve all the recognition that can get for Doom 2016.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I chalk it up to the alignment of everything bad happening at the same time. Plus, Nvidia had been quiet about what the issues were until there was that engineer that posted about 'test escapes' and actually admitting, there was a problem, but not specifying what is actually wrong.

There are a few reasons.

* Yield is very low, and it seems as though the company is shipping borderline chips to try to make up for it
    * Related: there's an abnormally high infant mortality rate. This also seems related to the power regulation on the card. Gamers Nexus is doing some post-mortem checks with donated cards
    * Nvidia themselves are still iterating on RTX, so the software isn't a done deal. Expected, but I wanted to see a more mature product than what was released
    * Games are far from optimized for RTX, and those that support it are essentially stapling it on. There are also maybe a half dozen games that support the tech right now

So essentially you are paying more for a 10XX series "with promise".

Add to that the inventory of 10XX coming back to market with the crash of crypto, and there's little incentive to go to RTX until the next generation.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    jclast wrote: »
    I'm just bummed that they're making Fallout games that I don't want instead of Fallout games that I do want.

Fallout Kart Racing when

You're missing the real potential here: Bethesda Kart Racing. Not just Fallout and Elder Scrolls, but Prey, Dishonored, DOOM, Wolfenstein. BJ Blazkowicz in what looks like a go-kart made for a twelve-year-old. The Dragonborn has a rechargable "fus ro da" shout to knock opponents off the track or into each other. The Fallout Survivor has a mini-nuke launcher attached to their vehicle. Corvo can "blink" to avoid attacks.

Doomguy has a spiked cowcatcher on the front of his "DOOMbuggy".

Rated L for ludicrous.

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Cross-posting from the board game thread:

Would anyone be interested in a worker placement game that features a market row and Starcraft strategy elements? I ask because the wife and I are developing a game like that for Steam, but we’re also considering a physical game as well.

Just to be That Guy, check out Offworld Trading Company and try not to accidentally make a clone of that :D

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    I'm just bummed that they're making Fallout games that I don't want instead of Fallout games that I do want.

Fallout Kart Racing when

you're missing the real potential here: Bethesda Kart Racing. Not just Fallout and Elder Scrolls, but Prey, Dishonored, DOOM, Wolfenstein. BJ Blazkowicz in what looks like a go-kart made for a twelve-year-old. The Dragonborn has a rechargable "fus ro da" shout to knock opponents off the track or into each other. The Fallout Survivor has a mini-nuke launcher attached to their vehicle. Corvo can "blink" to avoid attacks.

Rated L for ludicrous.

All-star Carmageddon!

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular

Fallout Kart Racing when

you're missing the real potential here: Bethesda Kart Racing. Not just Fallout and Elder Scrolls, but Prey, Dishonored, DOOM, Wolfenstein. BJ Blazkowicz in what looks like a go-kart made for a twelve-year-old. The Dragonborn has a rechargable "fus ro da" shout to knock opponents off the track or into each other. The Fallout Survivor has a mini-nuke launcher attached to their vehicle. Corvo can "blink" to avoid attacks.

Rated L for ludicrous.

All-star Carmageddon!

Don't be in front of the DOOMkart when he has road rage...

It's all the time by the way. Dont be in front of DOOMguy.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Fallout Kart Racing when

Rated L for ludicrous.

All-star Carmageddon!

What if Lu Bu is in front of DOOMguy?

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Fallout Kart Racing when

Personally, I loved the hell out of Car Wars back in the day, and Interstate '76 is dying for a reboot.

Sign me up.

It's crazy to me that there arent any vg adaptations of Car Wars. There was Autoduel over 30 years ago and then nothing. I agree Interstate 76 is probably the only real 'spiritual successor', some of the folks involved with that game actually tried to get a reboot of Autoduel going about 5 years ago but then it basically disappeared (as far as I know). There've been a few games here and there that incorporate an element or two. It just baffles me, the full Car Wars experience seems tailor-made to be an incredible video game.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Fallout Kart Racing when

Rated L for ludicrous.

All-star Carmageddon!

What if Lu Bu is in front of DOOMguy?

Then you get the unstoppable force/immovable object conundrum.

So while they're stuck in limbo, everybody else can finish the race and beat them.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    I'm gonna start a game news thread so I dont muddy up this thread, anymore.

Yongyea, is still putting out stellar information without a schtick or shilling.

https://youtu.be/eXQ21BtKXlg

Not Preordering certain companies is becoming a thing.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Preordering just doesn't make sense in an age of digital distribution. You no longer have to guarantee that a physical copy will be ready for you, why bother without knowing if the game is good or not?

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    Preordering just doesn't make sense in an age of digital distribution. You no longer have to guarantee that a physical copy will be ready for you, why bother without knowing if the game is good or not?

I 100% agree with you, but others here will argue the counterpoint. I've always had an issue with preordering because you reward a company for work before they've completed the work.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    That is true. Again, I'm thinking its an amalgamation of that and that EA has burned any and all customer goodwill.

Rockstar and Cdproject red have huge goodwill and players preordered as normal.

It really really helps to make a good game and NOT shitting on your customer base saying, 'dont buy it if you dont want it.'.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Mugsley wrote: »

I 100% agree with you, but others here will argue the counterpoint. I've always had an issue with preordering because you reward a company for work before they've completed the work.

I mean people are free to do what they want, but there's absolutely zero reason outside of a steam pre-load or collector's edition at this point. Steam/Blizzard app/Origin/UPlay/whatever aren't going to run out of bits on launch day.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Speaking of Bethesda games, I feel like Evil Within 2 is criminally underrated and flew under a lot of people's radars. I'm a sucker for the weird detective genre, and EW2 is just that. You go into the matrix to hunt down serial killers essentially in a quest to rescue your daughter. It's so good! The gameplay reminded me a bit of Last of Us more than RE4. Well worth giving it a look, I'm kind of sad there probably won't be a third

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

I mean people are free to do what they want, but there's absolutely zero reason outside of a steam pre-load or collector's edition at this point. Steam/Blizzard app/Origin/UPlay/whatever aren't going to run out of bits on launch day.

For me, it's usually about that sweet, sweet 20% preorder discount. ;)

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options

Most of the games I see on Steam don't even have that on offer anymore, sadly. I agree it does make sense for games where you get a discount and are sure you want to buy it.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    I'll start preordering games when they start releasing games that are finished on release day and require no additional patching.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

The fact that people are free to do what they want is telling about their behavior towards particular games and companies. There is no compulsion beyond additional offers. Pixie mentioned the 20% discounts. Valid, and people can still just buy it a week or a couple days early without spending 60bucks in January for a November game.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I like the free in-game or otherwise baubles that come from preordering. I'm the prototypical consumerist sucker. But I have preorder baubles! Yay!

• Options

The fact that people are free to do what they want is telling about their behavior towards particular games and companies. There is no compulsion beyond additional offers. Pixie mentioned the 20% discounts. Valid, and people can still just buy it a week or a couple days early without spending 60bucks in January for a November game.

That's the other reason I like to preorder from Amazon when I can. They don't charge you until the game ships, so you can cancel the preorder right up to the last minute. I actually did that with FO76 - cancelled for money reasons, but then re-preordered when a situation resolved itself.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I started playing The Surge this week. That annoying Bob Dylan knockoff song that endlessly loops in the medbay has been stuck in my head all day.

• Options
    cancelled for money reasons, but then re-preordered when a situation resolved itself.

@destroyah87 late on extortion payments again?

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    I started playing The Surge this week. That annoying Bob Dylan knockoff song that endlessly loops in the medbay has been stuck in my head all day.

You can replace it. You can even add multiple files and it'll play a random one whenever you get near the medbay.

I used the Pioneer 2 music from Phantasy Star Online.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I pre-order firaxis games even though I know they will be a buggy mess on release because they're one of the few companies makes those types of games dispite turn based strategy games not being big money makers. Also they're one of the few who still put out real full sized expansions for their games.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I started a "career" in the new mode that dropped for BATTLETECH last night. Woo! With the caveat that updates will be spotty for a while as my gaming time is unfairly burdened by real world obligations, I am recruiting five mechwarriors.

First five to @iolo here will be signed on to glory, near certain extended hospital stays, possible grisly death and modest remuneration out in the cold reaches of the periphery!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @Iolo

Yo.

• Options
    @Iolo

I volunteer for tribute!

• Options
    @Iolo My body is ready.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    @Iolo I volunteer for blowing up

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    @Iolo Okay then.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    @iolo make me fodder!

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Excellent!

Recruiting is closed for now. Stay tuned for future opportunities for glory!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I missed the window :(

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    You gotta be quick if you wanna get blown up in service to the Emprah.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Made it through Act 3 of Shadow of War last night.

What a wild ride.

Guess I'll see how this next part goes. Thread has me a bit worried, but I've also found myself so caught up in messing with orcs that I was about 10~15 levels above story quests when I finally went back to them. So it might be my cup of tea grog.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Excellent!

Recruiting is closed for now. Stay tuned for future opportunities for glory!

In case anyone else runs into this: If you download Flashpoint and your game seems stuck at the HBS logo before the intro, it will eventually (~3-5 mins) get past it and you can play as normal.

• Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    @Iolo I volunteer as tribute

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    So essentially you are paying more for a 10XX series "with promise".

Add to that the inventory of 10XX coming back to market with the crash of crypto, and there's little incentive to go to RTX until the next generation.

Technically i paid like a hundred less for a new 2070, compared to the roughly equivalent power in a new 1080 ti.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Aww, I missed out on the chance to hold down a bed in the infirmary for weeks on end. Phooey.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~