As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Giant Bomb] Lovitz or Leave It

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I felt like Ben wanted to like it way more than he did. He even said he was arguably in the mood for more Borderlands, and ended up damning it with faint praise, saying how the "gunning around" is basically the same/slightly better, but everything else is just anathema to having a good time. Oddly aged UI quirks and game design, bad dialogue that he had to mute so he could play while watching TV, etc.

Also I know at least 1 person who ran into the "Borderlands 3 tries to delete your save" thing.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    It's the GB curse. Control (which the loved) apparently sold real bad vs BL3 (which they hate) has sold much more than its predecessor (BL2 not PSQ).

edit: TBH (and this is something I wish he worked on) Jason appears to love it but he was drowned out by Jeff's rant (tm). Even Ben was a bit more positive on it.
    ???

It didn't even chart in latest NPD chart vs Astral Chain (which going with the GB trend they hated Dan didn't like!) which was in the top 10.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Everything i've heard about Borderlands 3 makes it sound like I would loathe it.

Borderlands 2 but with even worse, less funny characters! Great!

That's even before the Gearbox and Randy stuff. So while I love Amara and want to play a game as a muscle wizard she's not enough to make up for the rest.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    It's the GB curse. Control (which the loved) apparently sold real bad vs BL3 (which they hate) has sold much more than its predecessor (BL2 not PSQ).

edit: TBH (and this is something I wish he worked on) Jason appears to love it but he was drowned out by Jeff's rant (tm). Even Ben was a bit more positive on it.
    ???

It didn't even chart in latest NPD chart vs Astral Chain (which going with the GB trend they hated Dan didn't like!) which was in the top 10.

:x

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular

???

Do remedy games ever smash npd numbers? Feels like Alan wake has a decent cult following but if it barely made a top ten I wouldn't be surprised.

A lot of the reviewer buzz on control is also aimed at how good it looks with an RTX card which cuts out a huge chunk of the mass market

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Oddly aged UI quirks and game design, bad dialogue that he had to mute so he could play while watching TV, etc.

He muted it so he could play while watching...anime.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    SeGaTai wrote: »

???

Do remedy games ever smash npd numbers? Feels like Alan wake has a decent cult following but if it barely made a top ten I wouldn't be surprised.

A lot of the reviewer buzz on control is also aimed at how good it looks with an RTX card which cuts out a huge chunk of the mass market

I believe Alan Wake infamously came out on the same day as a little game called Red Dead Redemption, so it unsurprisingly sold very poorly upon release.

edit: Also I don't think Remedy games have never been huge sellers (I recall a lot of handwringing over how Max Payne 2 didn't sell as good as Max Payne 1), but at least the company owns the rights to Alan Wake again and the studio seems healthy?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I felt like Ben wanted to like it way more than he did. He even said he was arguably in the mood for more Borderlands, and ended up damning it with faint praise, saying how the "gunning around" is basically the same/slightly better, but everything else is just anathema to having a good time. Oddly aged UI quirks and game design, bad dialogue that he had to mute so he could play while watching TV, etc.

Also I know at least 1 person who ran into the "Borderlands 3 tries to delete your save" thing.

Ben is always a bit of a sycophant when it comes to Jeff so I wasn't surprised to his initial enthusiasm drop dramatically once Jeff spoke up.

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    How much praise for the game could he have had otherwise if he is muting the dialogue and watching anime

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options

Ben is always a bit of a sycophant when it comes to Jeff so I wasn't surprised to his initial enthusiasm drop dramatically once Jeff spoke up.

I think that's needlessly harsh. Ben has his own opinions and it's not like Jeff told him to turn the game audio down. Ben came to that conclusion himself when he realized the game's dialogue was awful.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    I mean, if I had Jeff in front of me doing his best trademark "WHAT!" I would second guess my opinion.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options

I think that's needlessly harsh. Ben has his own opinions and it's not like Jeff told him to turn the game audio down. Ben came to that conclusion himself when he realized the game's dialogue was awful.

I mean, Ben is the Editor in Chief. He probably was just really impressed by the new intern that just showed up.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Was watching Giant Bomb Youtube videos with Matt Kessler for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6PPDuksrpY

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    As someone who really liked Borderlands and thought Borderlands 2 was fine - I don't understand the appeal of BL3 at all.

I'm totally happy for people that are into it though.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I don't know, it just feels like some of the complaints Jeff and others had about the game seemed...unwarranted? Or that their expectations of where the franchise could go were never something Gearbox intended on going. Like Jeff seems frustrated that BL3 zones are basically a series of hallways (which I think is a little reductive) instead of taking a more open world approach. I think Jeff just last week was criticizing Gears 5 from making more big open spaces and then not filling them with interesting content, so it looks like you can't win unless you do it exactly right. Complaining that the majority of guns you pick up suck is...I mean that's just kind of a loot game thing, right? Ben complained that buying ammo didn't automatically reload your guns, which I can't even think of a game I've played recently that does that? It just seems like they're dinging the game for not being more dramatically different just because of the amount of time that's passed, as well as only copying some of the current genre conventions but not all of them.

I don't think Borderlands 3 was ever going to be something other than trying to recapture the magic of BL2 with incremental improvements. Which are there, honestly. There's the sliding/mantling stuff, I think the classes are more different from each other in more interesting ways than they've ever been. Ability customization is really cool. They've added some fun new modifiers to guns, and the alt fire modes add another layer to evaluating guns/combat. The writing is just the right amount of dumb for me, apparently. It's more Borderlands ass Borderlands, and you're either down for that or you're not.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Wasn't there something about NPD's not counting any digital sales?

Or has that changed since I heard it probably 5 years ago or more

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I don't know, it just feels like some of the complaints Jeff and others had about the game seemed...unwarranted? Or that their expectations of where the franchise could go were never something Gearbox intended on going. Like Jeff seems frustrated that BL3 zones are basically a series of hallways (which I think is a little reductive) instead of taking a more open world approach. I think Jeff just last week was criticizing Gears 5 from making more big open spaces and then not filling them with interesting content, so it looks like you can't win unless you do it exactly right. Complaining that the majority of guns you pick up suck is...I mean that's just kind of a loot game thing, right? Ben complained that buying ammo didn't automatically reload your guns, which I can't even think of a game I've played recently that does that? It just seems like they're dinging the game for not being more dramatically different just because of the amount of time that's passed, as well as only copying some of the current genre conventions but not all of them.

I don't think Borderlands 3 was ever going to be something other than trying to recapture the magic of BL2 with incremental improvements. Which are there, honestly. There's the sliding/mantling stuff, I think the classes are more different from each other in more interesting ways than they've ever been. Ability customization is really cool. They've added some fun new modifiers to guns, and the alt fire modes add another layer to evaluating guns/combat. The writing is just the right amount of dumb for me, apparently. It's more Borderlands ass Borderlands, and you're either down for that or you're not.

Lots of trash in a loot thing isn't necessarily something to be expected. You can do a loot game while still presenting the player with a steady stream of interesting, potentially worthwhile weapons.

Also, I think the open world criticism is warranted especially because that's what Borderlands had already done. And I don't think the gunplay in Borderlands is good enough to transition from an open world shooter to a corridor shooter.

And I think Gearbox giving the same old Borderlands with some minor QoL improvements like 5 years later (7 from 2) is absolutely worthy of criticism, when 2 wasn't even particularly good. And it's not even an improvement across the board, somehow the writing is even worse than it was in 2.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    MichaelLC on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular

Control is a game I look forward to getting on sale after it comes out on Steam.

Borderlands 3 is a game I look forward to never playing.

cool, thanks for the input you super cool guy

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Yeah Im probably strawmanning the NPD bit. Apparently, for Control there's no EGS sales included. But I think it does include digital sales for the other storefronts. It still did bad vs Astral Chain because it's only on the Switch and it doesn't include Eshop sales.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I mean, are you having fun with Control?

It’s... okay? But I think the combat, while pretty, is probably my least favorite thing about it. The Service Weapon is neat until you actually have to use it, and it feels like you’re shooting peas. Replace the enemies with puzzles as I try to navigate this weird-ass government building, and it’d be a 13/10 for me.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Invest all your points in Launch when you can and the combat becomes pretty trivial.

Control is wonderful, I think I 100%'d it and I'm bummed out because I want a reason to play it more. Probably my favorite game of 2019.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Yeah Im probably strawmanning the NPD bit. Apparently, for Control there's no EGS sales included. But I think it does include digital sales for the other storefronts. It still did bad vs Astral Chain because it's only on the Switch and it doesn't include Eshop sales.

I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure that NO digital sales were in that number for Control.

I'm sure the tales of how garbage it runs on base consoles kept more than a few people away.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    NDP doesn't include digital sales at all and that's why it's so much more less reliable than a decade ago.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7McQ2V3IUc

Translation courtesy of IGN.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    They, especially Jeff who really liked Borderlands 1, made the point that BL3 being just an incremental improvement (with some of the series' flaws being made worse and more noticeable) isn't good enough anymore. Games aren't developed in a vacuum. There are already games that do what BL3 does but better.

Also, Jeff seems bothered that they didn't really come through with the whole Borderworlds thing.

So from what I gather, the best Borderlands game is still Tales From The.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    God, the Quick look of Borderlands 3 is painful to listen to.

Poor Ben's stuck on an original PS4.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Aww, I am going to miss the algorithm ads.

Because I only ever got a single one.
    Apparently Dutch 38y fell in 0 categories for years.

I was really suprised about 6 months ago when I got a British government sponsored 'prepare for Brexit' one.

I hope you listened to it, cos I think at least one person on the planet should be prepared for Brexit.

that's the trick, preparing for brexit is like stocking up on canned foods in your shed for when the nukes drop on you

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    They, especially Jeff who really liked Borderlands 1, made the point that BL3 being just an incremental improvement (with some of the series' flaws being made worse and more noticeable) isn't good enough anymore.
    Which is a weird thing to come from someone who plays a whole bunch of annual incremental games. Or damning, I suppose, though in my case "another one of those" after a decade is more interesting than "another one of those, but the progression is different" after a year.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

Not really trying to be harsh. Ben is young and is going toe to toe in conversation with Jeff Gertsman. It's completely understandable why he'd bend his opinions based on what Jeff is saying. I was guilty of that with my superiors at work at his age too.

It absolutely happens all the time. I bet I could literally pick it out happening in just about every bombcast that has both Jeff and Ben in it. He'll get more confident over time.

• Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »

Man, Jeff's reactions to everything the entire time. He super does not seem down for anything in this game.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    I still can't tell if they're doing those shitty Youtube thumbnails ironically or on purpose. Probably on purpose, considering their recent push to promote themselves more on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and any of the regular places people promote videos (although I'm pretty sure people found out that Facebook was lying to them about how many views FB videos actually get)

steam_sig.png

• Options
    It's definitely on purpose.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    I’ve been assuming that Jan’s been doing those thumbnails, since they seem to mostly be on West’s content.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Borderlands 3 has been...fine? Like I'm enjoying it and thats what its for. I don't get the critiques about the writing, its the same kind/style thats been in every Borderlands game before. Its fine.

Game has flaws though. Its choppy, the enemies bring bullet sponge to a new level, and parts feel cheap (When I was shot out of my space ship onto a new planet they said "It'll be bumpy but you should make it!" cue them cutting to me on the planet...not even like a bit of tension from a cut scene showing my pod nearly getting destroyed or anything..). It has lots of little bugs. And while I like the changes they did make to things like the UI and stuff, I do agree that I wish this was more of a drastic change from 2.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    https://www.giantbomb.com/articles/giant-bombcast-601-chief-daedra-officer-the-offici/1100-5893/ - Giant Bombcast transcribed
    There's yeah. Topic a bit Bop like a bit baps flowering baps that worry Bap flowery Batman tell me more about these flowery baps. They wanted some detail and fluffy. Yeah large enough to hold a narrow talker. Yeah, so, what's the story? All right. All right. Yeah, it's my first time making them just a brownie good job.

FuriousJodo on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »

Man, Jeff's reactions to everything the entire time. He super does not seem down for anything in this game.

I don’t know, he seems to be thinking through the mechanics and talking out what that means from a gameplay perspective. He also seems really uncomfortable with everything regarding the Bridge Baby, not in a mechanical/gameplay way but in a “Oh god that poor kid, soothe the damn baby!” way and I know that feel.

I’m not going to say that having to tilt left and right constantly to maintain balance was what I expected, and it sucks that it looks like you interact with so few non-holograms during the game and can’t enter the city and stuff.

It looks like a very visually striking, very lonely experience.

• Options
    It looks like a very visually striking, very lonely experience.

This is probably 200% intended.

This discussion has been closed.