Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Winning The Argument Looks A Lot Like Losing

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/30/amber-rudd-to-step-down-as-mp

looks like Amber Rudd isn’t going to run in the election

Amber Rudd, Redshifting

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    You know what I'm sick of? Everyone continuing to always interview people who are pro brexit, or who just wannit done because it's dawillothepeople and old people and people who have switched to supporting leave because they just want it done.

Where are the interviews with the majority of british people who dont want to leave. The interviews were people make it clear that their number 1 priority after the uk leaves will be to rejoin and they wont be silent about it.

It's like the damned trump supporter interviews in the US. Do they just only interview people who are wandering the streets aimlessly between 10:30 and 11?

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    You know what I'm sick of? Everyone continuing to always interview people who are pro brexit, or who just wannit done because it's dawillothepeople and old people and people who have switched to supporting leave because they just want it done.

Where are the interviews with the majority of british people who dont want to leave. The interviews were people make it clear that their number 1 priority after the uk leaves will be to rejoin and they wont be silent about it.

It's like the damned trump supporter interviews in the US. Do they just only interview people who are wandering the streets aimlessly between 10:30 and 11?

Yes, journalists are keen to get up 10ish, vox pop the people who are about, and then head to the pub for 11am. 10-11 sees a lot of old people and nutters on the street.

(more charitably its because they need to get the segments edited in the afternoon)

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    A lot my ‘outside the left wing bubble,’ ‘likes to moan but not too actively politically engaged’ friends on FB seem to be posting up various flavours of ‘screw both of them, I never thought I would but I’m voting Lib Dem.’

Gives me a small glimmer of hope for something positive out of this GE.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular

She's just avoiding the inevitable, she had a majority of just hundreds last election, it was virtually a statistical anomaly and she isn't liked. She's resigning to avoid the cost and embarrassment of running a losing campaign.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

She's just avoiding the inevitable, she had a majority of just hundreds last election, it was virtually a statistical anomaly and she isn't liked. She's resigning to avoid the cost and embarrassment of running a losing campaign.

Especially after approaching the Conservatives with a view to rejoining and being told "nope".

• Options
    edited October 2019

"We wanted to see what the public thinks, so here's our vox pops from a very Leave-voting town.'

Fucking constantly.

Jazz on
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    The problem with vox pops is that they’ll say whatever the journalist wants them to say. There was a bit in the new European ages ago about how the bbc manipulated one of them to show more leave support than there actually was. Their only use is to distort and I’m somewhat surprised that they continue to be used.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    That vox pops are entirely deceptive and easy to manipulate is the entire point of them and why they continue to be used.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    the only thing that matters this election is that the conservatives lose.... please let them lose

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    the only thing that matters this election is that the conservatives lose.... please let them lose

*crosses arms, nods head and blinks with both eyes*
    your wish has been granted.
    PM Farage is now in control!

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »

Where's the referendum to bring back the "Hail Hydra" reaction?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    AgusalimAgusalim Registered User regular

obviously the polling/voting is super volatile just now but im not certain this is the only thing that matters - if the ge returns a parl that is even more hung (fnar) than it is at the moment what does that solve?

frex its outside possible that we could have a hoc where no majority can be obtained even from coalitions, we have to have another ge and we crash past 31/1/20 with nobody able to ask for a (4th!) extension so we end up with a no-deal brexit in a no-government britain. and as much as i appreciate on-the-nose satire im no wanting to live in it you know? at least no more than i already am

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Agusalim wrote: »

obviously the polling/voting is super volatile just now but im not certain this is the only thing that matters - if the ge returns a parl that is even more hung (fnar) than it is at the moment what does that solve?

frex its outside possible that we could have a hoc where no majority can be obtained even from coalitions, we have to have another ge and we crash past 31/1/20 with nobody able to ask for a (4th!) extension so we end up with a no-deal brexit in a no-government britain. and as much as i appreciate on-the-nose satire im no wanting to live in it you know? at least no more than i already am

if no majority formed by coalition the only queens speech that could gain a majority in such a situation would have to have some way of addressing the actual problem (and most notably if there was no majority for a deal in that parliament you end up back at a second referendum simply to get rid of the headache - running down that list of preferences, slowly)

there are very very few configurations where you cant scrape together a non-conservative majority otherwise

but key point about a ge is that it makes the boris deal a feature of the conservative party manifesto - if they don't get a majority running on it, they cannot claim the "country is behind it", as it has been tested and found to be undesired by BLESSED BRITISH FPTP, which massively weakens the argument for other parties supporting it, especially if there is a majority in parliament for eg a second ref but not a coalition / c&s agreement to be found on that basis.

the conservatives winning is the sound of the toilet flushing. at least Extremely Hung Parliament has non-bad outcomes in some cases

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

The editor of Labourhame

On *checks notes* his sense of grievance about having Labour policy as regards Scottish independence imposed by the UK party leadership

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Duncs is always great for a zero self awareness tweet

His "Spending Tory money to win Labour votes makes me extremely happy. Win-win" tweet from during the IndyRef is a timeless classic.

Which he still spends an amazing number of his time defending. As if he was right.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

• Options

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

Now watch this information make no difference whatsoever to anyones decision.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

"We wanted to see what the public thinks, so here's our vox pops from a very Leave-voting town.'

Fucking constantly.

See, now I'm wondering if they take it to the same level that the New York Times does where they not only focus on only one part of the political spectrum each time they do those kinds of stories, but actually keep going back to the same individual people.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular

Not sure if it's behind a paywall or not but The Brexit Party will be making their decision on Friday as to whether or not they'll contest every seat or help the Tories by focussing on the most promising seats held by Labour.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Ah, FPTP, the gift that keeps on giving.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    He has now promised a referendum if Labour get in.

Is there an article or statement you can link? Can't find anything current on the googles.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    So is this mostly daring Boris to try and cut Farage out by running Tories in those seats?

If Boris does stand candidates he greatly increases the chances that the seats stay with Labour or a real remain party by splitting the leave vote three ways. If he doesn't then he could be handing Farage a Kingmaker position, or rather a deal breaker situation where he can enforce as hard a brexit as possible. To the point where the more moderate Tories won't be on board with a Farage/Brexit approved deal.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

I've never been a huge fan of tactical voting but I'm going to be pulling some serious mental calculus over whether I want to vote for the party in my constituency most likely to beat the Conservatives, or the one most likely to prevent Brexit.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

I've never been a huge fan of tactical voting but I'm going to be pulling some serious mental calculus over whether I want to vote for the party in my constituency most likely to beat the Conservatives, or the one most likely to prevent Brexit.

Always the former. If the Tories win the seat, nobody else’s Brexit stance matters anyway. Everyone else who isn’t BXP is at least marginally more sane than the Conservatives.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I at least don't have to agonise over that. My constituency is solidly Tory, and only the Lib-Dems have a whelk's chance in a supernova of beating them, so that choice is easy to make.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    My little part of the UK flips between Lib Dems and Tory so it’s nit a hard decision.

Side note I bought Julia Donaldson’s (of the Gruffolo’s fame) latest children’s book and it’s about red aliens not wanting to mix with blue aliens. Then a red alien and a blue alien fall in love. It isn’t subtle about what it’s trying to teach children but at the end, it’s dedicated to the children of Europe.

I’m a horrible dad, brainwashing my daughters like this. I’m also reading Pratchett to my 6 year old but editing out the slightly grown up bits.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Nicky Morgan is the latest to say she won't be standing in the election. What's that, 51 so far?

The Times headline for tomorrow is about the "exodus of moderate Tory MPs".

Can't think why.

(Edit: Telegraph says 57 so far.)

Jazz on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Nicky Morgan is the latest to say she won't be standing in the election. What's that, 51 so far?

Can't think why.

Oh man, the US is seeing the exact same issue. Although I suspect perhaps for different reasons.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Can't think why.

Oh man, the US is seeing the exact same issue. Although I suspect perhaps for different reasons.

Is it that different?

It seems like both parties seem to be losing people who aren't willing to weld themselves to their leaders, either due to dissatisfaction with how they're running things or due to the fact that an increasingly radicalized party apparatus (and voter base) will eat them alive if they dare speak up too much about it. Canada saw a bit of that towards the end of Harper's government as well, but only a bit because things hadn't quite gone full clownshoes yet globally..

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

Can't think why.

Is it that different?

It seems like both parties seem to be losing people who aren't willing to weld themselves to their leaders, either due to dissatisfaction with how they're running things or due to the fact that an increasingly radicalized party apparatus (and voter base) will eat them alive if they dare speak up too much about it. Canada saw a bit of that towards the end of Harper's government as well, but only a bit because things hadn't quite gone full clownshoes yet globally..

There are more than a few in the US where it's fairly clear that the House rep in question has come to the conclusion that they are unelectable in 2020 primary or no, either because they only stayed on barely in 2018 and opinions about Trump and the GoP in their district have gotten worse, or because the state Supreme Court has struck down the gerrymandered district map used in 2018 on State Constitution grounds (which means SCOTUS's ruling of "not our buisness" doesn't matter for fuck all) and they can't win in a district that isn't majority brainwashed true believers.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Serves me right for being so smug about getting one of the last maroon passports before the deadline of today. I think the extension is my fault.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular

Can't think why.

It's an inevitable result of FPTP voting in my view.
    Radicals take over because only the party determines the candidates, and so moderates are cast off as the party moves towards the mean of the radical/moderate point of view, whilst the radicals are not punished in the actual election, because who else are you going to vote?

I'm hoping the Lib-Dems start a true no Brexit party for you all, and actually wipe out Labor though.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    evilthecat wrote: »

Where's the referendum to bring back the "Hail Hydra" reaction?

Vote for me and I will bring back "Hail Hydra" and "That so Raven" reactions!

I will bring Cardboard Tube and the Mods to the table by threatening to have all the shitposters stop posting on this site and then where will they be!

They will fold in no time.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I'm more just hopeful that Labour actually adopts some sort of policy leading to Remain. They already have a 2nd ref in the Manifesto.

Lib Dems vs Tories as a political window in this country would be a nightmarish disaster. Your choices are public service privatisation or public service privatisation plus nationalism.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I'm more just hopeful that Labour actually adopts some sort of policy leading to Remain. They already have a 2nd ref in the Manifesto.

Lib Dems vs Tories as a political window in this country would be a nightmarish disaster. Your choices are public service privatisation or public service privatisation plus nationalism.

Is it that bad?
    All I've heard about the Lib-Dems is that they mis-stepped with their Tory coalition.

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I probably should be voting labour tactically to keep the conservatives out.

But they've been so utterly shit with regards to Brexit that no, I can't do it.

If Corbyn came out and said we are for remain they'd have my vote back in a heartbeat. But until then I don't trust him not to go for some form of Brexit.

As it is lib Dems, as the remain party with the highest national profile I can vote for, are my choice.

101 on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    It would be bad, yes. The Lib Dems are centrist liberals. They have some policies I'm absolutely behind (Law and Order stuff, LGBTQ Rights, Brexit, notably) but they were well in on the austerity train and always have be. The reason why so many Tories have recently defected to them is because a lot of their views, especially economic ones, overlap with Tory views. Bedroom Tax? Pushing up Tuition Fees to 9k per annum? Public Sector Pay cap? Jo Swinson chucked her support behind them all, have no fear, and she's leading that Party!

I don't want the NHS privatised. I don't want Schools privatised. I want public transport renationalised. I want a strong welfare state. That ain't Lib Dems. They've done a very good job in tying themselves largely to being anti Brexit because that's very palatable to a lot of voters on the left.

They also have rehabilitated their image in the Coalition as largly idealistic and misled rather than yes, Vince Cable was well up for Osborne's economic policies, hearts desire. I am not politically aligned with them at all and I do not want them or the Tories in power. If they replaced Labour as one of the two main parties your options are centrist with neoliberal economics or right wing with neoliberal to verging on libertarian politics. To hell with them both.

Solar on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Happy Brexit Day everybody. Glad to be finally be out, no Ifs, no Buts, got my sovereignty back and going down to the Post Office to get my blue passport right this morning. Britannia rules the waves ect. ect.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
This discussion has been closed.