Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Winning The Argument Looks A Lot Like Losing

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Well

Now it's time for the excuses to stop. The country just handed Boris the majority to "get Brexit done".

I sincerely hope he succeeds because his failure to deliver on his promises is going to fuck a large number of people.

Well, England did. I don't believe Scotland, Northern Ireland, or Wales did.

That's probably gonna have consequences down the line.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Well

Now it's time for the excuses to stop. The country just handed Boris the majority to "get Brexit done".

I sincerely hope he succeeds because his failure to deliver on his promises is going to fuck a large number of people.

Well, England did. I don't believe Scotland, Northern Ireland, or Wales did.

That's probably gonna have consequences down the line.

There should absolutely be a re-run of the Indyref once Brexit is done.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Honestly, after the last five years I can't even be upset by this result any more. Is it better for the Conservatives and worse for pretty much everyone else than predicted? Yep. Will it almost certainly lead to political bullshit in a variety of strange and unexpected new forms? Yes. But I guess we've just got to spend the next five years weathering the fucking storm.

All I'm hoping for is that this finally motivates Labour to sort their shit out, or for some new more electorally viable party to arise from their ashes.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Jeez. Just clocked that Dennis Skinner lost his seat in Bolsover. This election really didn't pull its punches.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Wishful thinking but there's no incentive for the Tories to have a hard brexit anytime soon is there?

They can do what they wan now, and they'd have to own the consequences of a hard Brexit when it goes pear shaped.

Unless they're really confident in their ability to spread propaganda to say everything is fine (which I guess after this election they have no reason not to be).

It's gotten to the point now where me and my wife have said we'll move to Ireland if it all goes tits up.

We're fortunate that there's plenty of jobs in my wife's area of expertise in Ireland and we could live with her family until we find our feet.

I'm assuming my Dad voted for the Tories.

He's a die hard Brexiteer as well.

I'm sure his only grandson moving away is a price worth paying for Brexit.

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    I'm compiling a list of people Corbyn and his supporters are blaming and so far we have the media, the Lib Dems, centrists, Blairites, "The Jewish vote" (cheers, Ken - knew we could rely on you), Remainers, the Greens and your mum.

Obviously the arsehole Whatsapp group had something about the 2005 election in it because more than one of them is saying oh we got more votes than in 2005 so that's good, isn't it?

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Wishful thinking but there's no incentive for the Tories to have a hard brexit anytime soon is there?

Internally, maybe the not.

But I don't think the EU is gonna be all too happy with the Tories just endlessly dragging everything out.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Holy forking shirtballs!
    This is the Bad Place!

I always suspected I came out of that car crash too lightly...

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Bloody Centrists with their

*looks at notes*

Ability to win elections?

People need to stop with the "BUT IRAQ" shit. Blair won an election before then and everyone has conveniently forgotten that the Iraq war was popular at the time.

Karl's big prediction. Give it 10 years and no one will admit voting for Brexit. Just like how no one admits to supporting the Iraq War.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Burnage wrote: »
    All I'm hoping for is that this finally motivates Labour to sort their shit out, or for some new more electorally viable party to arise from their ashes.

It's early days yet but the signs are that it's everyone else's fault and Corbyn did a great job but was hamstrung by [fill in blank as necessary].

Alan Johnson burning off some righteous anger. Twitter account is random but the clip is what's interesting.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    The more I am looking at my twitter feeds, the more this is looking like a wholesale victory for Ireland and a complete and utter unmitigated disaster for Britain.

Which makes me wonder who the fuck devoted all their time and cash into swinging the UK. And why.

Look!

All I'm saying is that both my parents are both from Ireland... and I've been considering dual citizenship in case shit gets too hot here in the States... so... yay?

Are you in Belfast or Dublin? I forget.

Dublin.

• Options
    PantsB wrote: »
    FT data guy
    Suggests tactical Remain voting might have helped a bit but not nearly enough and that low weucation/skill working class voters were very not energized by Corbyn and Labour

You know I read something a few days back, someone who had done a deep dive of a usually Labour stronghold in Birmingham. He mentioned how every working class voter he spoke to had switched to Tory, mostly based on highly targeted Facebook ads. Back in 2017 none of them really knew who Corbyn was. This time around they all knew him and believed he was both an IRA sympathizer and someone who was "stopping" Brexit.

If that's the case on a larger scale then this victory was Cummings and Cambridge Analytica again.

• Options
    FT data guy
    Suggests tactical Remain voting might have helped a bit but not nearly enough and that low weucation/skill working class voters were very not energized by Corbyn and Labour

You know I read something a few days back, someone who had done a deep dive of a usually Labour stronghold in Birmingham. He mentioned how every working class voter he spoke to had switched to Tory, mostly based on highly targeted Facebook ads. Back in 2017 none of them really knew who Corbyn was. This time around they all knew him and believed he was both an IRA sympathizer and someone who was "stopping" Brexit.

If that's the case on a larger scale then this victory was Cummings and Cambridge Analytica again.

It's not going to surprise me if this was partly the case. I know I've been getting hit recently by Conservative ads that seemed overly designed to appeal to my specific demographic.

• Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    Looking at the election maps, while up here the north is pretty split it looks like London is a tiny isle of Labour voters in a sea of Tories down south.

Also Wales has a surprising amount of blue in it. Is that the old, retired English people again?

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    FT data guy

It's not going to surprise me if this was partly the case. I know I've been getting hit recently by Conservative ads that seemed overly designed to appeal to my specific demographic.

for better or for worse, i think it's fair to say that time has shown the right is very much ahead of the left when it comes to advertising of all things

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    When the Exit poll came out 55 SNP I was ruined betting wise.

Woken up to find myself financially richer but short a unilateral deceleration of independence.

Enjoy your winnings. Perhaps you will be able to use them to acquire Adequate Food.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Paul Mason, noted Corbyn supporter, who thinks the problem is the electorate not giving Labour the votes they're owed. He doesn't mention that Labour lost 7000 votes since 2017, more than twice the number they lost by, and twice what those other two parties polled.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Pretty incredible stuff from Northern Ireland. Not only did they go for majority anti-Brexit candidates, and not only did they boot out DUP Deputy (and Westminster) leader Nigel Dodds, but for the first time NI has more Nationalist than Unionist MPs.

DUP 8
    Sinn Féin 7
    SDLP 2
    Alliance 1

DUP Leader Arlene Foster is blaming the losses on *checks* Nationalists winning the votes, according to RTE News.
    It was very clear in both North Belfast and South Belfast that nationalism came together and decided they were going to get rid of Emma (Little-Pengelly) and Nigel (Dodds). We fought very hard against that but the numbers were against us in both constituencies.
    I also found this quote from former UUP leader Mike Nesbitt particularly insightful.
    Perhaps one of the great ironies of all this is that for decades Unionists have looked over their shoulders and decided that Irish nationalists were the great threat, and then more recently it was Scottish nationalists. But actually, it's English nationalism that is posing the existential threat to the future of the Union.

• Options
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I’m guessing a tomato could win against Corbyn going by this result. He needs to apologize profusely and retire.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Bogart wrote: »
    I'm compiling a list of people Corbyn and his supporters are blaming and so far we have the media, the Lib Dems, centrists, Blairites, "The Jewish vote" (cheers, Ken - knew we could rely on you), Remainers, the Greens and your mum.

Obviously the arsehole Whatsapp group had something about the 2005 election in it because more than one of them is saying oh we got more votes than in 2005 so that's good, isn't it?

Christ did Ken really say that

Fucking hell

Solar on
  • Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    My local lib dem MP lost to cons :(. Guess the fight to save the local hospital just got a lot harder.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Blaming Jewish people for your failures sounds like a great way to prove your party doesn't have an anti-semitism problem, Livingstone. Well done.

Edit: Looking it up, he seems to be more blaming Corbyn for not tackling it? I take back my sarcasm.

Although he is also calling Jewish voters 'unhelpful', so I only partially take it back I guess.

Billiardball on
    Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    Solar wrote: »
    I

Christ did Ken really say that

Fucking hell

I believe the exact quote was "The Jewish vote wasn't very helpful". Which, I mean, there are surely better ways of putting it, Ken.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Honk wrote: »
    I’m guessing a tomato could win against Corbyn going by this result. He needs to apologize profusely and retire.

He will not apologize.
    He has said he will retire... just as soon as he hand-picks a successor.
    So, as another poster said, sometime in the next five years. Probably.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Oh hey, remember that random Conservative candidate who argued for evicting council estate tenants and enrolling them in forced labour camps? He won.

Part of me's wondering how wild this new crop of Tory MPs are going to be.

• Options
    Oh hey, remember that random Conservative candidate who argued for evicting council estate tenants and enrolling them in forced labour camps? He won.

You might want to read up on a little thing we have over here called the Tea Party.
    No, not the one in Boston harbo(u)r.

• Options

You might want to read up on a little thing we have over here called the Tea Party.
    No, not the one in Boston harbo(u)r.

Yeah, I was going to mention that I think the Conservatives might be about to experience a similar problem to the US Republicans. Arguably we've been seeing that already but this might be an enhanced version.

• Options
    Nicola Sturgeon has been on RTE News and of course is already pushing IndyRef 2: Brexit Boogaloo

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Leftwing journalist and editor.

Oh, that's what the biggest story of the election was. I guess I was confused because I thought the biggest story was the catastrophic failure of Jeremy Corbyn to win an election. EDIT: I guess that's from before the results came in, so it's fair enough. All the ground game in the world didn't amount to shit, though, so maybe still not the biggest story.

I vaguely estimate a good ten years of infighting in Labour and at least one more Momentum candidate before sanity breaks out.

Bogart on
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Paul Mason, noted Corbyn supporter, who thinks the problem is the electorate not giving Labour the votes they're owed. He doesn't mention that Labour lost 7000 votes since 2017, more than twice the number they lost by, and twice what those other two parties polled.

One of the top comments is from an Evolve Politics blaming his support for a second referendum....

Ridiculousness from every angle!

• Options
    Jesus, I hadn't realized Swinson had lost her seat!

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular

This is so stupid. How dare voters not vote strategically! Never mind that they apparently have no interest in voting for your Labour Party under Corbyn even to stop a conservative win, it also forgets that people will vote for who they fucking want to win, so maybe instead of bitching about it be a party that people want to vote for?

It’s just an unbelievable attitude. I understand it’s dissapointing, but maybe campaigning on “vote strategically to stop the other guy” isn’t a winning strategy for turning out people enthusiastically.

It’s like, yeah, if those people had voted for labour we could have beaten them in that electorate, but they didn’t, because they’re not part of labour, they’re fucking voters. The fault is with labour leadership for not forming a strong enough coalition, for not selling the importance of strategic voting.

Enjoy bitching about how voters are silly and don’t always vote with their heads, and watch it get worse over time for you

• Options
    Yeah it looks like a definite good few years of desperate infighting rather than a sad and dignified withdrawal from the losing wing of the party.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular

He will not apologize.

Can he just hand pick a successor and that's that? Don't they have to at least have a leadership vote that the corbynites can stuff with their votes to make sure we don't get anyone viable?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »

He will not apologize.

Can he just hand pick a successor and that's that? Don't they have to at least have a leadership vote that the corbynites can stuff with their votes to make sure we don't get anyone viable?

Yes, an election to select the new leader (and a new deputy leader) will take place, but Corbyn and his supporters will make sure to select one candidate from their wing and publicly bless them so the Momentum crowd know who to back, and they'll probably win against whomever the rest of the party put forward.

The people who put Corbyn in place aren't going anywhere, and outnumber those who voted against him. They've proven to be absolutely reliable in voting lockstep for Corbyn/Momentum approved candidates for the NEC, even when the candidate is an absolute shitpile who later gets suspended for anti-semitism he's been doing for yonks.

The real fight does indeed start now.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    If anyone's looking for a bright spot, Chris Williamson got 635 votes.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    Laura Pidcock, a young MP sometimes mentioned as a possible successor, lost her seat last night, so I guess it won't be her.

I'd guess Angela Rayner, Emily Thornberry and Keir Starmer will put their names forward at the very least, and Corbyn will back Rayner.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

He will not apologize.

Yes, an election to select the new leader (and a new deputy leader) will take place, but Corbyn and his supporters will make sure to select one candidate from their wing and publicly bless them so the Momentum crowd know who to back, and they'll probably win against whomever the rest of the party put forward.

The people who put Corbyn in place aren't going anywhere, and outnumber those who voted against him. They've proven to be absolutely reliable in voting lockstep for Corbyn/Momentum approved candidates for the NEC, even when the candidate is an absolute shitpile who later gets suspended for anti-semitism he's been doing for yonks.

The real fight does indeed start now.

How many of those people who voted in Corbyn just lost their seats?

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    The problem is that people don't really like the idea of rolling over and going 'Well how about THIS one eh?' when people start hating your party leader because of incessant propaganda and shameless slander.

This discussion has been closed.