As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Zack and Miri Make [movies]

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Zodiac is still a masterpiece. Just in case you were wondering.

I plan to watch this again because it did nothing for me the first time.

I thought it was mediocre the first time I saw it. Then a review convinced me the movie was not traditionally satisfying because it is a deliberate deconstruction, filled with details but with a lack of certainty, dedicated to realism but consciously constructed... It’s a very different film than it at first appears. That
    really snapped it into place for me and now it’s one of my favorite movies.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Uncut Gems was a masterclass of tone

Not an easy watch since that tone is a manic episode

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular

It’s like having a two hour panic attack.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »

It’s like having a two hour panic attack.

Even more so than their previous film, Good Time, which has a similar heart-in-your-throat relentlessness, but started to lose me halfway through, unlike Uncut Gems which kept me engaged the whole time.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    I haven’t seen Good Time but I’m going to add it to my list.

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    asofyeun wrote: »
    1917 spoilers
    That night scene with the flares was pretty good

also, i'm wondering how many other people thought schofield was just gonna die leaning on the tree when he stopped to listen to the singing soldier

if i were to do a prank, i'd show an edited version of the movie where the credits roll right after the camera comes back to him

it would be so mean
    I was half expecting at the end when he leans against the tree and looks down, to see his original trench like 20 yards away like some classic British sitcom sketch.

The movie was absolutely fantastic. Tense, had genuinely frightening scenes and gave you that real sense of what hell the Great War was like.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Good Time was one of the worst movies I ever saw. The whole thing revolves around a bank robbery gone wrong but never tell us why the guy wants to rob it in the first place. No one ever questions the lies that he tells and just goes along with his next crime. Stereotypes the mentally handicapped and he makes out with a 16 year old girl and would of went further if he wasn't interrupted. All set to what sounded like demo discs handed outside a dance club at a volume a notch to high.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Robert Pattinson's character in Good Time is a bad person and I don't think the movie really wants us to sympathize with him. I think both Good Time and Uncut Gems are studies of men who have deluded themselves into believing that their pathological behavior is part of some grand design or cosmic significance. Both films take sleazy, petty crime and raise it to the level of some sort of hysterical euphoria.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I was floored by how modern The Passion of Joan of Arc felt. In retrospect it's easy to forget that it's even a silent film.

It's really the intro of sound that killed cinematography for a while - recording sound was really technically limited and since a lot of film tech like cranes were noisy, they had to go. Less location filming and more sets, much less dynamic camera movement, etc. So like early sound movies feel weirdly much more primitive than the silent movies that had come before.

Its a big part of why you get those "lol how were they this dumb" quotes from directors of the time bemoaning the intro of sound as bad for the medium. It kind of was for a good while there!

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Another thought about games and Knives Out
    The stereotype board game of two people in a big mansion would be chess, but that wouldn't be thematically appropriate. Chess is a very antagonistic game, two people clashing for dominance. 'Chessmaster' carries connotations of someone manipulative and controlling. Marta could never be a chessmaster, though Hugh/Ransom might consider himself one, as might most of the rest of that family. Go, meanwhile, can be in a way a cooperative game of sorts, with both players deciding when they want to game to end. "Making a beautiful pattern" can be a legitimate strategy for victory.

Yeah, I know I'm focusing on such a small thing, but it's just such a well-thought-out small detail in a movie full of well-thought-out details.
    Like when Marta and Harlan thought he had been overdosed with morphine. I was thinking "if he really got that mega-dose of morphine directly into his bloodstream he'd be feeling it already, not just being normal and dropping dead in ten minutes." I dismissed it as movie-logic...but of course it turns out he didn't get the overdose of morphine so that's why he wasn't feeling the effects.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Zodiac is still a masterpiece. Just in case you were wondering.

I plan to watch this again because it did nothing for me the first time.

I thought it was mediocre the first time I saw it. Then a review convinced me the movie was not traditionally satisfying because it is a deliberate deconstruction, filled with details but with a lack of certainty, dedicated to realism but consciously constructed... It’s a very different film than it at first appears. That
    really snapped it into place for me and now it’s one of my favorite movies.

Aye, I've seen this idea floated before and I want to watch it again with a different mindset to see if it clicks.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    I was floored by how modern The Passion of Joan of Arc felt. In retrospect it's easy to forget that it's even a silent film.

It's really the intro of sound that killed cinematography for a while - recording sound was really technically limited and since a lot of film tech like cranes were noisy, they had to go. Less location filming and more sets, much less dynamic camera movement, etc. So like early sound movies feel weirdly much more primitive than the silent movies that had come before.

Its a big part of why you get those "lol how were they this dumb" quotes from directors of the time bemoaning the intro of sound as bad for the medium. It kind of was for a good while there!

The the whole issue happened again when technicolor was introduced. Those cameras were too damn big to move

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Little Women is superb. Just a glorious, engaging movie.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Little Women is superb. Just a glorious, engaging movie.

I heard it was great. I need to see it.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Just watched Midsommar. I liked it. I enjoyed its climax a bit more than Hereditary. Midsommar was less scary than Hereditary but weirder. They both had his signature "grief makes you crazy" and penchant for nekkid white people.

Neither film was really good, though. I do feel like Aster has the potential for something really awesome. Get his creativity teathered to the ground a little more, better script perhaps, and we'll get some good stuff.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Speaking of Hereditary, I saw a really interesting reading of it as a transmasc horror movie the other day (although the article is from 2018 so I guess I missed it then, or forgot about it?):

(warning: FULL SPOILERS in the article for Hereditary, and incidental spoilers for The Silence of the Lambs, Psycho, Rosemary's Baby, and The Exorcist)

https://www.them.us/story/transmasculine-horror-stories

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I watched A Ghost Story last night. Hadn't heard of it before; my girlfriend had apparently been wanting to watch it for a while.

It was really good! The movie is very slow in pace and barely has any dialogue, which creates a perfectly fitting atmosphere for the subject matter. I felt like the viewer's experience mirrors the way the protagonist silently observes. There are a lot of beautiful shots, the kind that would make great photographs, and the music is sad and beautiful.
    I loved that the whole movie takes place at the same location, just at different times. Our ghost's interactions with the neighbor ghost were some of my favorite moments. And the melancholy yet happy ending is really moving.

The only part I wasn't sure about was the long rant on meaninglessness by the guy at the party. I think it's meant to contrast with the overall message of the film, both in its content and in how blatant it is in comparison to the the rest of the story. But it kind of felt like a weird digression.

Pretty unique film, definitely recommend it to those of you who haven't seen it
    Nobeard wrote: »
    Just watched Midsommar. I liked it. I enjoyed its climax a bit more than Hereditary. Midsommar was less scary than Hereditary but weirder. They both had his signature "grief makes you crazy" and penchant for nekkid white people.

Neither film was really good, though. I do feel like Aster has the potential for something really awesome. Get his creativity teathered to the ground a little more, better script perhaps, and we'll get some good stuff.
    Man I thought both of those were great. I've waffled on which I love more, but Hereditary's claustrophobic feel is my thing so I still lean in that direction. I also love the endings of both movies, though I might agree that Midsommar's is better. I don't remember how I felt about the scripts (I think the visuals and atmosphere occupied most of my attention, though I remember preferring Hereditary's acting), but I'm curious what you mean by wanting Aster's creativity "tethered to the ground." My instinct is that I disagree.

Kaputa on
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Kaputa wrote: »
    I watched A Ghost Story last night. Hadn't heard of it before; my girlfriend had apparently been wanting to watch it for a while.

It was really good! The movie is very slow in pace and barely has any dialogue, which creates a perfectly fitting atmosphere for the subject matter. I felt like the viewer's experience mirrors the way the protagonist silently observes. There are a lot of beautiful shots, the kind that would make great photographs, and the music is sad and beautiful.
    I loved that the whole movie takes place at the same location, just at different times. Our ghost's interactions with the neighbor ghost were some of my favorite moments. And the melancholy yet happy ending is really moving.

The only part I wasn't sure about was the long rant on meaninglessness by the guy at the party. I think it's meant to contrast with the overall message of the film, both in its content and in how blatant it is in comparison to the the rest of the story. But it kind of felt like a weird digression.

Pretty unique film, definitely recommend it to those of you who haven't seen it

Man I thought both of those were great. I've waffled on which I love more, but Hereditary's claustrophobic feel is my thing so I still lean in that direction. I also love the endings of both movies, though I might agree that Midsommar's is better. I don't remember how I felt about the scripts (I think the visuals and atmosphere occupied most of my attention, though I remember preferring Hereditary's acting), but I'm curious what you mean by wanting Aster's creativity "tethered to the ground." My instinct is that I disagree.

The need to give Aster some mind bending acid while directing. Then play the results at 1.5x speed.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    If Midsommar and Hereditary are tethered, I'm terrified to imagine what untethered would look like.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Godzilla: King of the Monsters (1956) is... surprising in a lot of ways for an re-edit of a foreign film? Don't get me wrong, they kill the pacing and make it a far inferior film, but it preserves more of the original Japanese dialogue than I would have thought.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Uncut Gems: holy moly.

Almost as enjoyable as the movie itself was the audience's reactions afterwards: "that was the stupidest movie I've ever seen!" "I thought it was going to be a comedy!"

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Speaking of Hereditary, I saw a really interesting reading of it as a transmasc horror movie the other day (although the article is from 2018 so I guess I missed it then, or forgot about it?):

(warning: FULL SPOILERS in the article for Hereditary, and incidental spoilers for The Silence of the Lambs, Psycho, Rosemary's Baby, and The Exorcist)

https://www.them.us/story/transmasculine-horror-stories

It's an interesting way to look at it, but I don't really buy it personally.
    Charlie is not off-putting because of her lack of feminine qualities, she's off-putting because she's kind of strange looking and acts odd and it's not really the central pillar of the story anyway since a lot of the film is really an escalating feeling of something being terribly wrong and Charlie is a part of that but not the whole of it and she's fucking dead like 1/3rd of the way into the film anyway. The mother gives off the same creepy fucking vibes a lot of the time.

The whole film is just filled with the sense of something being wrong with this family and one of the joys of it is that way this transitions from "fucked up family drama" to "wait, hold on, something WAY fucking weirder is going on here".

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Godzilla: King of the Monsters (1956) is... surprising in a lot of ways for an re-edit of a foreign film? Don't get me wrong, they kill the pacing and make it a far inferior film, but it preserves more of the original Japanese dialogue than I would have thought.

All things considered, I give the Raymond Burr version a solid B+. It would have been easier to repackage it as a dumb monster flick, but there was a clear effort to maintain some of the gravitas of the original.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

All things considered, I give the Raymond Burr version a solid B+. It would have been easier to repackage it as a dumb monster flick, but there was a clear effort to maintain some of the gravitas of the original.

The weirdest thing about that reedit has to be the fact that the did the same thing for Godzilla 1985, where they also brought in Raymond Burr for the English scenes. It was the first "serious" Godzilla movie they'd done for a long while, though, so while it was a bit out of the blue to bring in Burr, I guess it made some sense.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

The weirdest thing about that reedit has to be the fact that the did the same thing for Godzilla 1985, where they also brought in Raymond Burr for the English scenes. It was the first "serious" Godzilla movie they'd done for a long while, though, so while it was a bit out of the blue to bring in Burr, I guess it made some sense.

'85 was intended as a direct sequel to the original, wasn't it?

I did a post on KOTM '56 (here) a couple of months ago too.

Jazz on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    One of the movie-related purchases I've made that I'm most fond of is Ingmar Bergman's Cinema, the Criterion collection of pretty much all the director's films, including different editions (e.g. both film and TV series versions of Scenes from a Marriage and Fanny and Alexander). It's just a beautiful, beautiful collection, and it's made me wonder: what other collections of this kind would I buy if they came out?
    71tpfzTVW6L._SX522_.jpg

For me, if Criterion gave Akira Kurosawa the same treatment, I'd be all over that. What about other people here? What big-ass collection would make you weak at the knees?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLRegistered User regular
    The Fall (2006) is like a feature length perfume commercial about storytelling and movies set near the turn of the century and I love it. It also uses Beethoven's 7th symphony, 2nd movement, an opus so popular they had to play it twice. Watch this. I mean it. It's as important to me as La Jetee.

Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Oscar noms are out

https://www.vox.com/culture/2020/1/13/21060660/oscar-nominees-2020-full-list

Joker leads with 11! I know practically everyone on the forums seems to hate it but I'm a Joker fan so I'm happy about this!

wandering on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Thirith wrote: »
    One of the movie-related purchases I've made that I'm most fond of is Ingmar Bergman's Cinema, the Criterion collection of pretty much all the director's films, including different editions (e.g. both film and TV series versions of Scenes from a Marriage and Fanny and Alexander). It's just a beautiful, beautiful collection, and it's made me wonder: what other collections of this kind would I buy if they came out?
    snip

For me, if Criterion gave Akira Kurosawa the same treatment, I'd be all over that. What about other people here? What big-ass collection would make you weak at the knees?

Their Godzilla collection! If only for that amazing box art.

cwdyHIkniaV8zGU6AiJ3VV9sROxOTd_original.jpg

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Adam Sandler by all accounts got snubbed. Knives Out and Lighthouse also look like they got snubbed a fair amount, and Jojo Rabbit's feels like it got nominated just because WWII.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Not all that impressed with that list. Barely any Knives Out, a whoooooole lotta white people, and frankly, the wrong billion dollar superhero movie got nominated.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Watched 1917 last night. Someone give Roger Deakins every award, man knows how to make a beautiful movie.

Should also win best score.

And probably some acting stuff I dunno.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Not all that impressed with that list. Barely any Knives Out, a whoooooole lotta white people, and frankly, the wrong billion dollar superhero movie got nominated.

All male best director category. And I call it THE OSCARS!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    The Fall (2006) is like a feature length perfume commercial about storytelling and movies set near the turn of the century and I love it. It also uses Beethoven's 7th symphony, 2nd movement, an opus so popular they had to play it twice. Watch this. I mean it. It's as important to me as La Jetee.

It's a very pretty movie with the gimmick of all the locations not being cgi but real places. I remember not being huge on the story but visually its very nice to watch.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Wow, The Farewell got snubbed real bad. That movie seemed designed to win awards.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Adam Sandler by all accounts got snubbed. Knives Out and Lighthouse also look like they got snubbed a fair amount, and Jojo Rabbit's feels like it got nominated just because WWII.

• Options
    Watching Uncut Gems, I mostly forgot I was watching Adam Sandler.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I haven't been able to bring myself to watch Uncut Gems. I see the icon there, but it has Adam Sandler's face on it and my brain just won't let me click on it. It's like I'm trying to stick my hand into a fire or something.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

It's a very pretty movie with the gimmick of all the locations not being cgi but real places. I remember not being huge on the story but visually its very nice to watch.

The Fall is one of my all-time favorite films. It's technically OOP, though copies can be found for exorbitant prices from resellers on Amazon and the like.
    wandering wrote: »
    Oscar noms are out

https://www.vox.com/culture/2020/1/13/21060660/oscar-nominees-2020-full-list

Joker leads with 11! I know practically everyone on the forums seems to hate it but I'm a Joker fan so I'm happy about this!

There's a lot of snubs here and while it's cool that Parasite is getting so many nominations, I would be surprised if it wins more than a single category.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    This article is interesting:

Kevin Garnett Gets the Rock
    The Safdie brothers’ latest film, ‘Uncut Gems,’ is, in many ways, a basketball movie. Here’s how the directors, two die-hard Knicks fans, landed KG, built a story around him, and made what can be described as an NBA fan’s fever dream.

As a deeply out-of-touch non-sports-watching person I didn't know as I was watching that all the games in the movie were real, or that KG was an actual basketball player playing himself. The whole movie is basically alt-history basketball fanfiction, which I think is cool. Also, as a consequence of the movie faithfully depicting actual games, this is probably
    the only basketball movie in history where the climatic game doesn't end with the stereotypical buzzer-beater last-second win

This discussion has been closed.