Options

[Giant Bomb] Noooooooooooooooo! :(

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    hashtagcontent

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

What song is he playing? It sounds familiar but I can't place it.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Arteen wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiPon8lr48U

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    the fact that it turned out to be deeply plagiarised and went unnoticed for three entire games is wild to me

(the themes that replaced it were still very excellent though)

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    All I can hear in that kazoo is Danny Boy. Even though I know it's not.

the pipes, the pipes are calling

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    All I can hear in that kazoo is Danny Boy. Even though I know it's not.

the pipes, the pipes are calling

Danny Boy is what I heard.

• Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    the fact that it turned out to be deeply plagiarised and went unnoticed for three entire games is wild to me

From what song?

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    McRhyno wrote: »

From what song?

this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JL4JXEv-RY

it's pretty on the nose when you hear it, especially as a comparison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYQQ1PZHF8U

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Holy...

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Yeah I had no idea. That’s wild.

Nice little piece of trivia though!

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The even stranger part is that the first time Kojima was confronted with this, is on film.
    It's an interview with a Russian game mag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k7DrIWcrdI

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    There is a game that was discussed years ago on the Beastcast when Austin Walker was still on the show that involved a physical book that had puzzles in it you needed to solve with an iPad app and I can not remember the name of it and it is slowly driving me mad.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    There is a game that was discussed years ago on the Beastcast when Austin Walker was still on the show that involved a physical book that had puzzles in it you needed to solve with an iPad app and I can not remember the name of it and it is slowly driving me mad.
    Are you sure you’re not thinking of Year Walk? That was an iPhone game that also had an iPad component if you had access to both.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Sounds like that book / wand thing from Sony years ago.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Now that I think of it, Patrick was the one who raved about Year Walk and Device 6.

• Options
    Year Walk and Device 6 were rad!

But this is something else, a physical book that leveraged the camera on the iPad.

Unless this was all just some fever dream.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    There was the Fatal Frame with a book for 3DS. It sucked though.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Nosf wrote: »
    This thing, I'm guessing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMATzMV6Qz0

• Options
    Glal wrote: »

I don’t think Austin would by hyping up a PS3 product that is related to Harry Potter.

• Options
    Year Walk and Device 6 were rad!

But this is something else, a physical book that leveraged the camera on the iPad.

Unless this was all just some fever dream.
    Anyway, based on what you described, is it this?
    https://journal29.com/

• Options
    Not that Harry Potter book or journal 29. Though journal 29 seems rad and I may go buy that.

It had like... a bit of a frost and lost tech feel. Sorry for dragging you all down the lanes of my horrible memory.

• Options
    OrivonOrivon Happy Fun Ball They/ThemRegistered User regular
    Not that Harry Potter book or journal 29. Though journal 29 seems rad and I may go buy that.

It had like... a bit of a frost and lost tech feel. Sorry for dragging you all down the lanes of my horrible memory.

I think it's The Ice-Bound Concordance. Episode 36 of the beastcast is tagged with it, but I haven't listened to make sure it's the game you're thinking of.

• Options
    Orivon wrote: »

I think it's The Ice-Bound Concordance. Episode 36 of the beastcast is tagged with it, but I haven't listened to make sure it's the game you're thinking of.

That’s the one! Thank you!!

• Options

I don’t think Austin would by hyping up a PS3 product that is related to Harry Potter.
    Why, did he have beef with that franchise before the author's shittery became known?

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

Why, did he have beef with that franchise before the author's shittery became known?

IIRC even before her open TERF support, her handling of first nations and indigenous people in her setting's supplementary works were questionable?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I mean, shit, once the pop culture shine wore off there's some uncomfortable shit staring everyone right in our faces regarding the slave cast that are so brainwashed they'd rather say slaves to abusive masters than be free, and the only characters who are pro-freedom are treated as kooks or naive.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I mean, shit, once the pop culture shine wore off there's some uncomfortable shit staring everyone right in our faces regarding the slave cast that are so brainwashed they'd rather say slaves to abusive masters than be free, and the only characters who are pro-freedom are treated as kooks or naive.

Not to mention everyone being cool with there being a Nazi house at Hogwarts. You've got the smart house, the brave house, the normal house, and the Nazi house.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular

Not to mention everyone being cool with there being a Nazi house at Hogwarts. You've got the smart house, the brave house, the normal house, and the Nazi house.

Yeah, it was really unrealistic, something like that would obviously never happen in real life.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    The even stranger part is that the first time Kojima was confronted with this, is on film.
    It's an interview with a Russian game mag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k7DrIWcrdI

this is fucking wild

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

The themes of the games deal a lot with purposeful, manufactured copies. Gregson-Williams did the soundtrack and composed that song, so I am guessing he was told to do that, does he has a history of pulling from other stuff? I don't usually give the benefit of the doubt to kojima, but like........ seems pretty much exactly what he would do.

MGSV starts with a cover of a song in a game chock full of licensed originals as direct foreshadowing.

I was kind of bummed to watch the GB guys fumble and go "why is THAT song a cover?!?!?!?!?" over and over. I thought it was pretty clear.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021

The themes of the games deal a lot with purposeful, manufactured copies. Gregson-Williams did the soundtrack and composed that song, so I am guessing he was told to do that, does he has a history of pulling from other stuff? I don't usually give the benefit of the doubt to kojima, but like........ seems pretty much exactly what he would do.

MGSV starts with a cover of a song in a game chock full of licensed originals as direct foreshadowing.

I was kind of bummed to watch the GB guys fumble and go "why is THAT song a cover?!?!?!?!?" over and over. I thought it was pretty clear.

if the MGS composer was told to do that without getting permission from the original composer (which it sounds like they didn't), this isn't kojima being a secret genius and using real-world actions to enhance his in-game themes, it's just him being an asshole

(also if I've got my facts right, we're talking about the original MGS main theme, which Gregson-Williams didn't compose, he just arranged it for MGS2. so whatever happened he wouldn't have been directly involved anyway)

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

Tappi Iwase is the original offender, not Gregson-Williams?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Those sound similar but I could definitely see that being inspiration and not plagiarism.

Also I never picked up on the MGS V "this song is a cover but the rest aren't" thing. That's fun.

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular

I distinctly remember Brad making that very point during GotY for MSGV for Best Music.

(It stuck in my mind because Drew was still playing V so he had to step out briefly just so Brad could make said point.)

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Also, the Arthurian tropes kind of don't interact well with the themes of the later books.

• Options
    Those sound similar but I could definitely see that being inspiration and not plagiarism.
    Generally the distinction is whether or not you like the new work.

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Jeff B's permanent rotating chair to become a permanent seat.

Hello my friends, some news:

After many fulfilling years at CNET I will be moving over to the Games division at Red Ventures to work with the fine people at Gamespot and another website about videogames, Giant Bomb™, to help lead content strategy/development and partnerships

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Hopefully he can still spend time at CES to give us the yearly Fridge Update.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
This discussion has been closed.