Options

[Resident Evil] Are you a bad enough dude to save the President's daughter... again?

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I used my challenge points and started a Hardcore run on Saturday to see how fast I can blitz through everything.
    I bought the Dragoon and unlocked infinite ammo for it. Pretty much just ran the whole Castle in 50 minutes.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Just finished my first run through, did Hardcore all the way through, final boss took ~20 minutes

This one was a mixed bag to me vs. 7 which is still my favorite RE game

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Just finished it. I loved the villain clique, and moments of the endgame,
    namely playing as Chris and Alpha squad who, gasp, are actually competent and don't get killed off! What a concept!

The nightmare sequence with Ethan and Eveline was great, loved the spin on 7's lore. Not sure what's real or not...

Honestly, boss wise, I feel like Lady Dimitrescu was the toughest boss in the game, though Heisenberg was probably the coolest. Just loved his tone and mannerisms.

Current power ranking:

CV > 4 > 2 = 2remake > 7 > 1 = 1remake > 8 > 6 > 5

Also, is it weird that i feel like all the budget went into Mia? She looks hyper realistic to me in a way none of the other characters come close to.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    If Chris was competent
    he would have spent like 10 seconds at the start of the game explaining that that wasn’t Ethan’s wife and he was actually protecting him and his child

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Mulletude wrote: »
    I respect your personal opinions on the games but the negativity is draining

So ignore me. I’m pretty annoyed with Capcom post RE2 and RE7. Those games were amazing and I thought they were on the right track for really getting this series together again and doing something fresh with it.

But then came 3, Resistance, 8, ReVerse, and news of it being annually and it just seems like they can’t see the forest for the trees again.

8 is rad tho.

8 is all over the place and while that one area was masterfully done it can’t save the game from the rest of the mess that it is.

Doesn’t need to. Love the rest of the game.

That's fine. I'm glad you like it.

I also like it. That's why I'm going through all the content and trying to do and unlock everything. I think RE8 is fine in a vacuum. What bothers me is the message that it's development sends from Capcom, and learning that this was supposed to be Revelations 3, and then they reworked it into RE8 at the last minute just makes my fears worse.

I feel like we have been here before. Resident Evil has a fresh new take on the franchise released to much acclaim and Capcom gets way too excited and over does it while losing focus. Not being able to have a clear vision of what they wanted this game to be is a pretty good example of lost focus. Which is why I said the game is kind of all over the place, and it is. One the one hand that makes each of the Four Lords zones feel distinct, but on the other hand it makes me worry that they don't really know what they wanted this game to be and just threw everything at the wall.

Something specific about the story that does bother me is:
    Chris. He shouldn't be in this game, and I think everything about him in RE8 is stupid and ruins the experience. With what happens to Ethan in this game, with the revelation that we experience in the last act, this should have been Ethan and Mia's game. I think we'd have had a much better experience if Miranda had tried to fake Mia and Roses deaths but made one mistake that lead Ethan on a trial to find the Village if we played as anyone else in 8, we should have played as Mia, just like in 7. This should have been their story and Chris and the BSAA and all of that other bullshit should have stayed the fuck out.
    I agree with this, and in fact, Mia would have been a great protagonist for the final section instead of Chris.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Not really a fan of 8-Mercenaries so far... it's completely reworked. I liked when you just had one character and limited/unique weapons.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Just finished it. I loved the villain clique, and moments of the endgame,
    namely playing as Chris and Alpha squad who, gasp, are actually competent and don't get killed off! What a concept!

The nightmare sequence with Ethan and Eveline was great, loved the spin on 7's lore. Not sure what's real or not...

Honestly, boss wise, I feel like Lady Dimitrescu was the toughest boss in the game, though Heisenberg was probably the coolest. Just loved his tone and mannerisms.

Current power ranking:

CV > 4 > 2 = 2remake > 7 > 1 = 1remake > 8 > 6 > 5

Also, is it weird that i feel like all the budget went into Mia? She looks hyper realistic to me in a way none of the other characters come close to.

I thought Mia looked like shit compared to RE7. Like they messed with her nose maybe?

I can't put my finger on it.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    3cfy0lu9zxv0.png

Rounder face and changed the nose? I don't think she looked bad at all though.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Yeah I thought she looked visually better in 7. But I also played 7 on my PC and 8 on my PS5. Wasn't sure if that was the reason.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    She definitely looks different in 8 but she also hasn't spent three years locked in a basement, so

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Just finished my first run through, did Hardcore all the way through, final boss took ~20 minutes

How?!? I burned through all the ammo it gives you for the final boss in about 5 minutes of headshots and then it took over 40 more minutes of slowly stabbing it to death in my successful fight on hardcore :o as with all the boss fights in the game it wouldn’t have been hard at all since the moves are so obviously choreographed except for the lack of ammo and it coming down to slowly chipping away with the knife in a slow battle of attrition.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options

How?!? I burned through all the ammo it gives you for the final boss in about 5 minutes of headshots and then it took over 40 more minutes of slowly stabbing it to death in my successful fight on hardcore :o as with all the boss fights in the game it wouldn’t have been hard at all since the moves are so obviously choreographed except for the lack of ammo and it coming down to slowly chipping away with the knife in a slow battle of attrition.

How much did you upgrade your weapons? I had the best shotgun and pistol and focused on damage upgrades. I also upgraded the magnum’s damage and saved the ammo for the final boss.

Took care of the easy first forms with the shotgun, swapped to sniper for the flying form. Used the pistol to handle the flaming orb thingies. Once the screen went dark I used the grenade launcher (had about 11 grenades; I never bothered with flashbangs). After that I switched to the magnum and down it went.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Man I'll just never get these money cheevos huh?

That said Im also infuriatingly close to infinite Ammo Stake magnum but cant find a god damn toilet

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Re chris
    do yall seriously think it's unrealistic for a military dude to not tell a civilian anything about what's going on? Ummm.. have you ever met someone from the military? It's probably the most realistic and believable thing about this game, doubly so for the fact that it caused huge problems later.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Re chris
    do yall seriously think it's unrealistic for a military dude to not tell a civilian anything about what's going on? Ummm.. have you ever met someone from the military? It's probably the most realistic and believable thing about this game, doubly so for the fact that it caused huge problems later.

Also
    I liked that they had his team give him shit for it, and he himself had self-doubt about it. It didn't entirely justify it, but it went a long way

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Re chris
    "The former air force guy/former cop/current private military contractor behaved realistically by being a huge dick who just made things worse for everyone."

Good thing he's the bad guy and not the series' primary protagonist, because if he was the latter that would really suck.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    I feel like there is SOME internal justification for what was going on (Village spoilers)
    Chris said that there were fears that Miranda had infected Ethan and was controlling him. So the plan was to as fast as possible kill her, knock Ethan out, take Rose, and sort everything out when they were all in a secure location. But that didn't pan out.

I'll admit it's not really an elegant story device. And Chris probably could've said something when they met up at the reservoir but perhaps Moreou popping up kept that from happening

Of course this could just be me giving the game's plot more credit than it deserves because I still like it a lot. I've seen something like this done a lot worst though

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    Telling Ethan wtf was going on would not have mattered if
    he was under Miranda’s control

At worst it would have been meaningless; at best it would have saved lives

• Options

But even if
    Chris told Ethan, Miranda would still wake up from her possum act, cause the crash and take Rose. From where I'm seeing it, the truth wouldn't change anything in the game except Ethan's trust in Chris.

Honestly I think that Chris' biggest miscalculation in the game is putting everyone in a single vehicle.

• Options
    Shenl742 wrote: »

But even if
    Chris told Ethan, Miranda would still wake up from her possum act, cause the crash and take Rose. From where I'm seeing it, the truth wouldn't change anything in the game except Ethan's trust in Chris.

Honestly I think that Chris' biggest miscalculation in the game is putting everyone in a single vehicle.

Yeah
    He should know advanced BOW can fake being dead. It literally happened in his first encounter.

• Options
    I found the alternate ending.
    j9y1q6olasiu.png
    gy01vrdq5ou8.png
    9q0b64ijxtrg.png
    34d0mg8aidqq.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    It was very inaccurate to the lore, Jill should have fired rockets at her multiple times.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    One thing about Mia
    She knew Ethan was entirely mold but uh how did nobody else? Like he 100 percent had medical check ups after the Baker incident right?

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    One thing about Mia
    She knew Ethan was entirely mold but uh how did nobody else? Like he 100 percent had medical check ups after the Baker incident right?
    and how did he get her pregnant, since he isn't human?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    One thing about Mia

Oh absolutely. that makes NO sense at all

ENDING SPOILERS
    It's possible that Blue Umbrella totally did discover what the real deal was with Ethan, and Chris wasn't fully disclosed about this information. And since I can imagine that Ethan and Mia were already under close observation in they're new life so they would just watch and see what happens, FOR SCIENCE.

It's kind of easy to forget but after the prologue there is a flashback scene where Ethan and Mia get into and argument after getting a phone call regarding "medical results", which the audience is at first supposed to assume are about Rose but it's actually about Ethan's condition. So this WAS found out at some point

It's silly to the point that it doesn't really bother me much, but it's clear the writers were building up the whole game to that twist and didn't really figure it out fully

Shenl742 on
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    One thing about Mia

Well
    I dont think Mia is completely human either anymore so that didnt bother me as much. At least not as much as Mia getting off scot free for everything regarding Eveline

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    One thing about Mia

It's not impossible that
    Mia was assigned to be Ethan's handler by the BSAA. She's certainly got experience looking after bioweapons and the in-fighting amongst various factions of the BSAA on display in 8 and its background could explain why Chris didn't seem to know about it.

I'm honestly kind of holding out hope that 9 turns out to be Mia's game, with Rose as the last minute "holy fucking shit this character is powerful" guest star.

• Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    One thing about Mia

Well
    I dont think Mia is completely human either anymore so that didnt bother me as much. At least not as much as Mia getting off scot free for everything regarding Eveline
    I think the key difference with Ethan is that he was dead before he got infected, I suppose? How the virus works is not well defined...just like all the other viruses in the franchise!

And honestly, after spending 3 years locked in complete hell, I think Mia's served her penance, but that's just me

• Options
    Burnage wrote: »
    One thing about Mia

It's not impossible that
    Mia was assigned to be Ethan's handler by the BSAA. She's certainly got experience looking after bioweapons and the in-fighting amongst various factions of the BSAA on display in 8 and its background could explain why Chris didn't seem to know about it.

I'm honestly kind of holding out hope that 9 turns out to be Mia's game, with Rose as the last minute "holy fucking shit this character is powerful" guest star.

I have a theory about that too
    Ethan's grave doesnt have a birth or desth date. This is a notable exception to literally everybother grave in the game. I dont think Ethan was ever human and I think Mia knew that. I also think Rose has Ethan and Mia's memories via her mold powers and might also have Evelines as well.

• Options
    Burnage wrote: »
    One thing about Mia

It's not impossible that

I have a theory about that too
    Ethan's grave doesnt have a birth or desth date. This is a notable exception to literally everybother grave in the game. I dont think Ethan was ever human and I think Mia knew that. I also think Rose has Ethan and Mia's memories via her mold powers and might also have Evelines as well.

Village ending spoilers
    Honestly, no dates on Ethan's grave could just be because they wanted to keep it ambiguous

And the idea that Ethan was never a human at all would be a far more shocking reveal than him being "dead" since the beginning of 7, and I don't think Resident Evil is the kind of franchise to play coy with that kind of dramatic twist

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    To me it's clear they had a vision meeting where they designed the trailer they wanted to show then had to build the story out of it, and the result is predictably unconvincing.

• Options
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Done! Just over 12 hours.

I liked this game a lot. The story was dumb as hell, but thankfully the gameplay kept me interested. It's basically RE4 with a new story and characters. The more I think about it, the more I think RE4 might have been my favorite all-time RE. There was something just so perfect about it and this game clicked all those buttons as well.

I think it's unfair to compare RE8 to RE7 because they're very different beasts. Everything the RE7 did just didn't work for me, where as in RE8, it all clicked (story nonsense aside). Not sure if I'll ever play it again (or the Mercenaries mode), but definitely glad I got through it.

Although, in standard JRPG fashion, I horded all my Magnum ammo for the final boss and killed her without using any of it. :biggrin:

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Yeah also expected a rocket launcher, as is the style at the time. Weird it didn't happen.

• Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yeah also expected a rocket launcher, as is the style at the time. Weird it didn't happen.

I never thought of that!

Even RE7
    gave you a super weapon.

Is that a spoiler?

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    urahonky wrote: »

I guess it makes sense for Ethan since you cant really see an RE style rocket launcher in first person

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Pretty sure it would look like this.

?imw=512&&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    To me it's clear they had a vision meeting where they designed the trailer they wanted to show then had to build the story out of it, and the result is predictably unconvincing.

This is kinda where I'm at. Just finished it myself, and man, but it feels like they jammed RE 4 through 6 into a single game. One bit of inarguable good 7 did is prove you can set a game post-6 that neatly sidesteps the chaos of the Greater Resident Evil Universe, while still being a part of the setting. You can have a contained adventure with new characters that acknowledges what's come before without making too many callbacks. It wasn't even a problem that Chris showed up because he was just tying up loose ends and dropping hints about the state of the world now.

Then here comes Village, whose story feels like the Pepe Silvia conspiracy board with a guy going don't you see friend IT ALL COMES BACK HERE. It struggles to maintain a consistent tone, it depends too much on characters being idiots, entire zones feel superfluous, there's all the retconning and nonsense that happens in the last hour... I don't even know how to complete this sentence, it just feels like an insane mess. It was fun to play, but there's entertainingly dumb and there's so bad it's distracting. Up through Heisenberg I was still ready for a replay, but having finished it now I kind of just want to move on and check back in a couple titles later.

I love me some Resident Evil, warts and all, but it's jumped to the kinds of excesses that usually take two sequels and a bunch of spinoffs. Really leery about 9 if the sequel hooks they dropped are any indication.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Stolls wrote: »

This is kinda where I'm at. Just finished it myself, and man, but it feels like they jammed RE 4 through 6 into a single game. One bit of inarguable good 7 did is prove you can set a game post-6 that neatly sidesteps the chaos of the Greater Resident Evil Universe, while still being a part of the setting. You can have a contained adventure with new characters that acknowledges what's come before without making too many callbacks. It wasn't even a problem that Chris showed up because he was just tying up loose ends and dropping hints about the state of the world now.

Then here comes Village, whose story feels like the Pepe Silvia conspiracy board with a guy going don't you see friend IT ALL COMES BACK HERE. It struggles to maintain a consistent tone, it depends too much on characters being idiots, entire zones feel superfluous, there's all the retconning and nonsense that happens in the last hour... I don't even know how to complete this sentence, it just feels like an insane mess. It was fun to play, but there's entertainingly dumb and there's so bad it's distracting. Up through Heisenberg I was still ready for a replay, but having finished it now I kind of just want to move on and check back in a couple titles later.

I love me some Resident Evil, warts and all, but it's jumped to the kinds of excesses that usually take two sequels and a bunch of spinoffs. Really leery about 9 if the sequel hooks they dropped are any indication.

Given that
    Adult Rose
    is one of the coolest designs they've ever done, I'm personally excited for the future, if that's an indication.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I disagree with you on that cj but we'll have to see where it goes!