Options

[Resident Evil] Are you a bad enough dude to save the President's daughter... again?

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Viskod wrote: »
    Mulletude wrote: »
    I respect your personal opinions on the games but the negativity is draining

So ignore me. I’m pretty annoyed with Capcom post RE2 and RE7. Those games were amazing and I thought they were on the right track for really getting this series together again and doing something fresh with it.

But then came 3, Resistance, 8, ReVerse, and news of it being annually and it just seems like they can’t see the forest for the trees again.

8 is rad tho.

8 is all over the place and while that one area was masterfully done it can’t save the game from the rest of the mess that it is.

Doesn’t need to. Love the rest of the game.

That's fine. I'm glad you like it.

I also like it. That's why I'm going through all the content and trying to do and unlock everything. I think RE8 is fine in a vacuum. What bothers me is the message that it's development sends from Capcom, and learning that this was supposed to be Revelations 3, and then they reworked it into RE8 at the last minute just makes my fears worse.

I feel like we have been here before. Resident Evil has a fresh new take on the franchise released to much acclaim and Capcom gets way too excited and over does it while losing focus. Not being able to have a clear vision of what they wanted this game to be is a pretty good example of lost focus. Which is why I said the game is kind of all over the place, and it is. One the one hand that makes each of the Four Lords zones feel distinct, but on the other hand it makes me worry that they don't really know what they wanted this game to be and just threw everything at the wall.

Something specific about the story that does bother me is:
    Chris. He shouldn't be in this game, and I think everything about him in RE8 is stupid and ruins the experience. With what happens to Ethan in this game, with the revelation that we experience in the last act, this should have been Ethan and Mia's game. I think we'd have had a much better experience if Miranda had tried to fake Mia and Roses deaths but made one mistake that lead Ethan on a trial to find the Village if we played as anyone else in 8, we should have played as Mia, just like in 7. This should have been their story and Chris and the BSAA and all of that other bullshit should have stayed the fuck out.

Viskod on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    urahonky wrote: »
    I was so, so, so bad at dodging in that game. I don't know why.

It's a weird window. Edit: Better way to put it - there's no i-frames. It functions like a parry and is thus easy to fuck up. /edit.But the game is instantly scarier, tenser and more interesting than 8 (for me, in my opinion, based on my level of enjoyment).

Jill quickly becomes a John McLane character - beaten, bruised and mortal, but determined to get through - and it being in third person really gets to sell her panic and injuries and lets the player kind of identify with her as she limps along, gripping her side. The chase sequences with Nemesis are actually pretty well done!

There are locks to pick everywhere - must be a tool for that! Damnit, a chain is blocking my access to that sweet sweet shotgun. There's a bolt cutter around here, I'm sure of it... I'll just have to return here with this excellent map.

Instantly better. Really shines a light on Re8 as more of a visually-strong ray-traced carnival fun house ride than survival horror (to me in my opinion based on my definition of genre).

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options

So ignore me. I’m pretty annoyed with Capcom post RE2 and RE7. Those games were amazing and I thought they were on the right track for really getting this series together again and doing something fresh with it.

But then came 3, Resistance, 8, ReVerse, and news of it being annually and it just seems like they can’t see the forest for the trees again.

8 is rad tho.

8 is all over the place and while that one area was masterfully done it can’t save the game from the rest of the mess that it is.

I also like it. That's why I'm going through all the content and trying to do and unlock everything. I think RE8 is fine in a vacuum. What bothers me is the message that it's development sends from Capcom, and learning that this was supposed to be Revelations 3, and then they reworked it into RE8 at the last minute just makes my fears worse.

I feel like we have been here before. Resident Evil has a fresh new take on the franchise released to much acclaim and Capcom gets way too excited and over does it while losing focus. Not being able to have a clear vision of what they wanted this game to be is a pretty good example of lost focus. Which is why I said the game is kind of all over the place, and it is. One the one hand that makes each of the Four Lords zones feel distinct, but on the other hand it makes me worry that they don't really know what they wanted this game to be and just threw everything at the wall.

Chris. He shouldn't be in this game, and I think everything about him in RE8 is stupid and ruins the experience. With what happens to Ethan in this game, with the revelation that we experience in the last act, this should have been Ethan and Mia's game. I think we'd have had a much better experience if Miranda had tried to fake Mia and Roses deaths but made one mistake that lead Ethan on a trial to find the Village if we played as anyone else in 8, we should have played as Mia, just like in 7. This should have been their story and Chris and the BSAA and all of that other bullshit should have stayed the fuck out.

Every aspect of Re8's plot is stupid - and nearly every line of dialogue - and harms the experience - if you want a frightening horror story from it. If you want some lazily contrived bullshit, which a friend of mine says is exactly what he wants and expects from RE, it delivers in spades.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I feel like maybe I misled a bit with that leakers Twitter account.

This wasnt changed from Revelations 3 to RE8 at the last second, it was changed pretty early in development. And the only thing it really changed was the info you get at the end. It seems like the "mainline" games are going to get the most polish and contain plot points that move the whole story forward. The side titles (like Revelations and the remakes) are there to kind of fill in gaps.

The way the leaker described it was Village started out as a small team making a random game in a village, Capcom said this rules let's make it a Resident Evil (which is the way they work usually, teams are encouraged to make whatever and then they decide if it fits an existing IP), and then as development got going they were happy enough and it was testing well enough they put so much into it they felt it should be a real centerpiece for the story.

It was always going to be Chris and Ethan go to the village to rescue Rose, I just think it probably wouldn't have done the info dump in the last hour if it was a Revelations title.

That leaker goes on to say what WAS being developed as RE8 is now RE9. It didn't change much.

I completely understand your concern and honestly agree with it - but I didn't want to perpetuate the idea this was all done willy nilly and slapped together. They seem to have really buckled down after RE7 and just have a pipeline of development now that will have a game coming out every year for the next 4-5 years. One of the reasons RE4s remake isn't the next game out anymore is because it was being outsourced and they brought it back in house. They seem to be very aware that they're on a hot streak and want to do things right.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »

8 is rad tho.

Every aspect of Re8's plot is stupid - and nearly every line of dialogue - and harms the experience - if you want a frightening horror story from it. If you want some lazily contrived bullshit, which a friend of mine says is exactly what he wants and expects from RE, it delivers in spades.

Completely unironically, yes, Resident Evil plots have always been "Dumb B-Movie: The Video Game" and that is exactly what I want from the series. That doesn't prevent some bits being still genuinely frightening; Beneviento alone speaks to that.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited May 2021

8 is rad tho.

Now we're just arguing opinions lol

Well yea

It’s kind of the raison d’etre of this place

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I mean, have you played RE4? You have a Napolean cosplayer in a castle with lava rooms and you get chased by a giant statue mech. RE8 is everything that's made RE games great in the past. It's frankly kind of a celebration of all the different aspects of RE. Also, Ethan Winters is so incredibly lame that it comes back around and becomes great.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

8 is rad tho.

No one here expects anything different from Resident Evil.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I mean, have you played RE4? You have a Napolean cosplayer in a castle with lava rooms and you get chased by a giant statue mech. RE8 is everything that's made RE games great in the past. It's frankly kind of a celebration of all the different aspects of RE. Also, Ethan Winters is so incredibly lame that it comes back around and becomes great.

I was always waiting on bated breath for Ethans horrible comebacks to the antagonists in this game, ever since the "NUH UH YOU" he gave Lady D

I was never disappointed

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

I was always waiting on bated breath for Ethans horrible comebacks to the antagonists in this game, ever since the "NUH UH YOU" he gave Lady D

I was never disappointed

they're so bad

It'd be so easy to come up with better ones! WORK ON THAT ETHAN

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Yeah, RE4 takes place in:

A village
    A castle
    An underground mine/lava pit
    Ancient ruins
    A secret laboratory island that's just a straight up action game
    Inside the secret laboratory
    On top of an oil derrick thing?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

A village
    A castle
    Ancient ruins

Oh shit, was the oil derrick a DLC level from updated versions of the game? Was it just a big oily dude named Derrick or based on his likeness?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

A village
    A castle
    Ancient ruins

Oh shit, was the oil derrick a DLC level from updated versions of the game? Was it just a big oily dude named Derrick or based on his likeness?

It's where the final boss fight happens. Honestly, I'm not sure what it was, it's been a long time since I played RE4.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular

8 is rad tho.

Well yea

I get that but it is starting to boiling down to "I like it!" "I don't!" and it's not really adding anything of value to a discussion. :p

I guess we're getting more efficient at arguing about things. We don't need pages of dialog anymore.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2021

I was never disappointed

The thing about Ethan...and I don't know if this is just because Resident Evil VII wasn't my shit as I wasn't really into the transition to first person even if the game has other merits...but watching RE VIII now, it's pretty much impossible for me to feel any genuine sympathy for him so far. Instead, every time he loses another chunk of his hand or gets stuck with a sickle or has some lady chomp on his neck I have to hold back laughter at the unintentional (I assume) hilarity of the situation. I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be always funny, but his over-the-top suffering just keeps coming off as peak narm. "No, not my fingers! Again! Those were my favorite digits!"

It's like Ethan is one of The Gang from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, except without the pleasure of having previously been concentrated asshole before the bad stuff started.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »

I was never disappointed

they're so bad

"You're the crazy one!"

Like really?

• Options
    And if anyone tells me Heisenberg wasn’t a massive shout out to Nic Cage I’m gonna ask what game they were playing.

• Options

8 is rad tho.

No one here expects anything different from Resident Evil.

Ehh idk, I am here and I do exist and every time I crack open a new Resident Evil game I do so in the blind, cheerful hope that maybe someone at Capcom realized they could do better.

Gaming evolves. Kill/Switch was a shitty game but that plus RE4 gave us Gears of War, Dead Space and Uncharted. Uncharted gave us The Last of Us, and as horror spawled out into the indie space it evolved further.

But not Resident Evil, I guess? Fuck that. I choose to say "actually this could have been more effective in its intended way if it weren't abjectly stupid." I'll likely be disappointed with Re9, sure, but that's what you get for the audacity of hope. And I'll hope again.

I'm not trying to say "ummm actually you shouldn't be enjoying this." At all. It has its pleasures. Poppin' heads with a magnum. The candlelight and the ray tracing. Giggling as Lady D tells you she's going to kill you (but we know she can't lol just walk around her).

Good times. Coulda' been better, though - and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who perceives that.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I like it when the monsters are stupid. "Oh, that man turned into a giant meat cockroach, and then into a tentacled tyrannosaurus. Cool."

But the overarching overwrought anime plots are by far the worst part of the experience.

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »

I was never disappointed

they're so bad

"You're the crazy one!"

Like really?

My favorite was "get Rose? Ha. I'd like to see you try!"

THEY ALREADY HAD KIDNAPPED ROSE AND YOU HADN'T GOTTEN HER BACK. YOU SAW. THEY SUCCEEDED.

That's the wacky comedy you can rely on for this (adjusts glasses) horror series? That can't be right.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Happy Friday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myAHnJ7A0j0

I love that GF Reviews didn't miss how fucking stupid Ethan is. Dumber than Leon, indeed.

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »
    I like it when the monsters are stupid. "Oh, that man turned into a giant meat cockroach, and then into a tentacled tyrannosaurus. Cool."

But the overarching overwrought anime plots are by far the worst part of the experience.

I like the big monsters (fish guy and the acid rain mechanics), but Lady D specifically reminded me of the end of Blade.

Anyone remember Blade? Wesley Snipes, vampire hunter?

The original final fight of Blade was planned for the big bad, a charismatic metrosexual fuckboy, to transform into the vampire God, which would be visualized as a swirling whirlwind of blood with Stephen Dorff's head popping out to talk shit. It was decided that the audience stopped caring after the transformation because they liked the character, and it was re-written into an awesome swordfight ending with the line "some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill." And it was awesome.

After 2 hours of the charismatic thicc milf, she instantly became less interesting when she went through her Tetsuo mutation for the boss fight (to me. One of my buddies loved it and specifically liked that he suddenly had a reason to use the sniper rifle.

And I'm sitting here like a chump imagining a fight against the character who'd been stalking you and talking shit for hours.

Like a chump.

• Options
    Happy Friday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myAHnJ7A0j0

I love that GF Reviews didn't miss how fucking stupid Ethan is. Dumber than Leon, indeed.

gf reviews is the best video game series since the first year of Zero Punctuation. Their breakdown of Tlou2 was incredible.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular

8 is rad tho.

Well yea

I get that but it is starting to boiling down to "I like it!" "I don't!" and it's not really adding anything of value to a discussion. :p

I guess we're getting more efficient at arguing about things. We don't need pages of dialog anymore.

The alternative is that the negative voice gets to be the only one?

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Grislo wrote: »

8 is rad tho.

Well yea

Where did I say that? I'm just saying that we've boiled down an opinion argument down to "I don't like this part of the game" and the response was "I do like this part of the game". We're about 5 years out from "no u" arguments happening here lol

• Options

8 is rad tho.

Well yea

Nah I don't think we're like that collectively.

I can say solving a puzzle to view a grainy film of an underground well that has no bearing on plot or story whatsoever and serves only to point you to the next MacGuffin is a lost opportunity to do some meaningful storytelling, but other folks can honestly say "that's the kind of stupid I'm here for" and we can both be right.

It's like two people bite into donuts and one goes "eeew raspberry" and the other one says "mmmm raspberry" and neither is misrepresenting things.

• Options
    Point me in the direction of someone who doesn't like raspberry filling.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular

8 is rad tho.

Well yea

I can say solving a puzzle to view a grainy film of an underground well that has no bearing on plot or story whatsoever and serves only to point you to the next MacGuffin is a lost opportunity to do some meaningful storytelling, but other folks can honestly say "that's the kind of stupid I'm here for" and we can both be right.

It's like two people bite into donuts and one goes "eeew raspberry" and the other one says "mmmm raspberry" and neither is misrepresenting things.

I wasn't talking about the collective.

Just that if one person needs to be dramatically negative, it's fine if someone else expresses positivity, without anyone policing the depth of content in their post.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Um excuse me... Not enough content in that post there. My smooth brain is very unhappy with it.

• Options
    Point me in the direction of someone who doesn't like raspberry filling.

It was a hypothetical. They're out there, walking among us, preferring lemon custard.

And also this horror is underbaked *spits it out* eeeugh.

8 is rad tho.

Well yea

I wasn't talking about the collective.

Just that if one person needs to be dramatically negative, it's fine if someone else expresses positivity, without anyone policing the depth of content in their post.

I find it's very easy to misinterpret stuff people put online in a shared forum during a shared discussion as disrespectful. Someone says something about folks in general and I'm folks - you sayin' that about me? But for the most part we're all just trying to be a part of a community that values gaming, and thus all on the same team regardless of how we vote.

We are more united than the States.

Now we can disagree on what makes a game good, what we value in a game, what its pleasures are and where it disappoints - but that conversation is rarely interesting when everybody agrees on every point.

Like, we all know Returnal should have a save and quit function. That's not controversial. Some silly geese think it should have checkpoints and I stand opposed.

• Options
    Checkpoint people are super weird. I agree.

Speaking of... Can I just say that I fucking love that RE8 lets you retry as many times as you want without recourse? I'm so used to them saying "ooops looks like you retried (aka died) 8 times!" and feeling bad about it. So now if the boss gets a cheap hit off I'll just retry.

• Options
    Checkpoint people are super weird. I agree.

Speaking of... Can I just say that I fucking love that RE8 lets you retry as many times as you want without recourse? I'm so used to them saying "ooops looks like you retried (aka died) 8 times!" and feeling bad about it. So now if the boss gets a cheap hit off I'll just retry.

Yeah but it keeps offering an easy difficulty. I need a "no I am a big boy and don't think ask again" option.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    I wonder if the dev team regrets killing off Lady D as soon as they did now.

Memes aside, I do like her a lot more than the other lords of cinder. I think they thought Heisenberg would be the most popular one but I though he was just kind of....eh?

Puppet lord had potential but that whole section felt so small and over quickly. A lot of untapped potential.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    I felt like the puppet section was already kinda overstaying its welcome, but I really liked it at the length it was.

The only bit of tutorializing I found annoying was the game constantly telling you to craft ammo if you ever had less than a full clip's worth of ammo left. Seemed so unnecessary given you could just craft stuff freely.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Memes aside, I do like her a lot more than the other lords of cinder. I think they thought Heisenberg would be the most popular one but I though he was just kind of....eh?

Puppet lord had potential but that whole section felt so small and over quickly. A lot of untapped potential.

Kind of happy that shit ended when it did, tbh.

I loved it, but I wouldn't have loved another 30 minutes of it.

• Options

In discussing that sequence lately I've learned some people like their potential untapped.

Not me per say, I strongly agree with you. This is I guess a dramatic way to put it but
    the entire sequence felt insultingly shallow, to me - aping the affectations of psychological horror without a shred of the thoughtful character construction (and de-struction) the finer titles offer.

And don't get me started on da baby. Awesome visual and sound work - and with that I'm out of nice things to say.

I feel in hindsight the reason I wish Lady D'd part was bigger might be because Castle D is the strongest sequence in the game. To me. She's not a great character, per say, but she was my creepy stalker for the part of the game I would've enjoyed more of.

Castle D, good. Village okay.
    Factory decent.

Swamp boring. Dollhouse boring. First twenty minutes boring. Too much boring for me.

...but I love discussing it, it seems.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    (Smashes metal scrap and gunpowder together)

Ammo!

• Options

In discussing that sequence lately I've learned some people like their potential untapped.

Not me per say, I strongly agree with you. This is I guess a dramatic way to put it but
    the entire sequence felt insultingly shallow, to me - aping the affectations of psychological horror without a shred of the thoughtful character construction (and de-struction) the finer titles offer.

And don't get me started on da baby. Awesome visual and sound work - and with that I'm out of nice things to say.

I feel in hindsight the reason I wish Lady D'd part was bigger might be because Castle D is the strongest sequence in the game. To me. She's not a great character, per say, but she was my creepy stalker for the part of the game I would've enjoyed more of.

Castle D, good. Village okay.
    Factory decent.

Swamp boring. Dollhouse boring. First twenty minutes boring. Too much boring for me.

...but I love discussing it, it seems.

Here's the thing I've learned

Having "untapped potential" means you COULD have had more, and what you got was good

Going past that could easy go into "Wore out their welcome", which is far worse a thing and much harder to judge

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/sFy5f_JnTds

OK not gonna, RE8 is looking way better than RE7. Can't wait to put someone in a Sharpshooter!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page