As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Final Fantasy]7R gets DLC while we wait for Part 2. Guard your Materia!

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Viking wrote: »
    Difficulty
    Classic - game is set at Easy and the controlled character attacks / defends automatically, you only have to decide when to fire off spells/weapon abilities (trying to evoke the old style)

Easy - enemies do reduced damage and are less aggressive.

Normal - I played through the game at this one, you can brute force your way through most encounters but even some basic enemies can be a challenge unless you change up your materia.

Hard - Can't use items at all, MP recovery is greatly limited, bosses get new attack patterns. other than that it isn't significantly harder than late game normal.

you can change difficulty at any time you can access the menu.
    hard is only available once you finish the game once (changing to hard resets the current chapter to the beginning.)

At first I was reading that and I was happy.

Then I saw your last line.

That is a really REALLY stupid decision.

Why the hell lock away basic options like that?

C'mon square.
    there is no way you could play it at that difficulty on a fresh save, even chip damage would likely insta-kill you. combined with that you are not able to use items at all.
    Hard is for NG+ with leveled gear and materia.
    on the plus side it does come with a bunch more stuff to unlock.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I think the issue is that people are calling it "hard mode" like it's only a difficulty setting, versus NG+ which is what it actually is.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I think the issue is that people are calling it "hard mode" like it's only a difficulty setting, versus NG+ which is what it actually is.

Ah, yes, that clears things up considerably. Which just begs the question of why the fuck they called it "Hard" mode, which people will get pissy about because it's locked on the first playthrough, instead of NG+, which I've never seen players meet with anything worse than a "not for me, but nice that they have it".

Seriously, this has been a staple label since, I dunno, Chrono Trigger? Why the hell would they not call it what it is?

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Ah, yes, that clears things up considerably. Which just begs the question of why the fuck they called it "Hard" mode, which people will get pissy about because it's locked on the first playthrough, instead of NG+, which I've never seen players meet with anything worse than a "not for me, but nice that they have it".

Seriously, this has been a staple label since, I dunno, Chrono Trigger? Why the hell would they not call it what it is?
    because of how it is integrated into the game.
    difficulty is something you can change any time even during NG+ (though changing to hard will reset the chapter)
    NG+ can be tackled non-linearly thanks to the chapter select. and you can then challenge the selected chapter in whatever difficulty you desire.
    handy for grabbing stuff you missed on the first runthrough or checking out the branching options.
    some stuff is limited to Hard only however.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yeah sorry about the streamer information, I was just following Squares post lol.

That being said...
    yxdwe0vuxhta.jpg

Strange they include both the steelcase and the original plastic case in the deluxe physical. Seems like a waste if plastic lol.

I'm up to chapter three after a couple hours, game is tight. It's hitting all the right notes and the small story changes so far have been really cool. Loving it.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Longest minute ever. Come on, I just want to hear the soundtrack then start playing! I really wish they let the extra deluxe items be available a few days in advance at least so you had something to do before launch.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    aaaaaand we're live!

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    aaaaaaaaand oh man immediate nostalgia bomb!

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    It's been some time since I posted here.

I'm still quite ruffled that you continue to not use a roman numeral for the thread, but oh well.

I made a little something in celebration of the Remake's release. It's something I wanted to make as far back as 2015, so it kind of symbolizes the personal joy that the day has finally come:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot74eMLZTAs

I hope everyone enjoys the experience.

• Options
    omg biggs got hot

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    been watching max dood's stream of this

hot damn this game is pretty

and was that
    patrick warburton
    i heard voicing a rando npc??

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Wow. Performance is pretty amazing on this.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I tend not to get caught up in nostalgia like that but when the FF7 version of the Crystal theme hit at the intro I choked up a bit.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    I don't remember much about this game but I feel like Barrett wasn't this cool in the original.

Also, I'm honestly just glad we have a return to a magic system. FF15 was great but the one thing I did not like was the magic system. Didn't feel like FF.

ED! on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Don’t have the energy, made it to the demo boss, beat it, and will play in the morning after sleep.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Not really spoilers for people familiar with ff7, but just to be safe.

Chapter 2
    I really like how they drive home the effects the reactor blowing up has by letting you see the aftermath and just how much it impacted normal people. It really reminds you that, even though you're on their side, Avalanche is a straight up terrorist group. The speech that Barrett gave after the Avalanche crew saw just how bad the devastation was felt like a textbook "Cult of Personality" style speech that I would 100% believe the leader of a terrorist group to give.

It's something that I feel doesn't get a ton of attention in the original game.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I'm about two hours in and it's really damn good. Love the weapon system stuff so far. Also being able to see materia in weapons is awesome.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Can anyone give me a non spoilery explanation of when you get your fancy edition materia?

• Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Should be in the party menu under Systems>DLC.

EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Minor very early materia spoiler
    Deadly Dodge is very good. I highly recommend it on Cloud.

ED! wrote: »
    Wow. Performance is pretty amazing on this.
    The DigitalFoundry tech review said that it holds 30 frames solid on the PS4 Pro. only rarely dipping to 28 or 29 in the heaviest of scenes but only staying there for a tick or two. They had to make some trade offs to get it (notably some of the muddier low res textures and some of the pop in) but it is really impressive.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    playing as Tifa is very fun

punchpunchpunchpunchpunch

• Options
    Also Cloud's look of disgruntled discomfort anytime anyone asks him for emotional involvement.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Warning, I don't know these artists, so I can't say if the rest of their twitters are SFW or not, browse with caution.
    I like the alt costumes in this first one:

Small versions in case anyone can't see the twitter posts:
    a0w9i2qxws66.jpg
    2ejqzeyrh25f.jpg
    Third one has a 'don't repost, don't edit' request on it, but go look at it on twitter, it's great!

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Amazon is saying my game should be here on the 14th.

I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't be getting my hopes up for even that. I ordered printer paper earlier and it says it won't be here till the 30th. A bag of baking soda I ordered two weeks ago just got here yesterday.

It's fine. They can do what they need to. I've waited this long for the remake, a few more days won't matter. For something this monumental (and hell, VII isn't even my favorite FF, X is, and is why I have physical copies of the original and every platform for the remaster) I want the box on my shelf. Digital just won't do.

I will say, though, that it feels weird to be avoiding spoilers for a game I've played to full completion (except for the 3rd enemy materia that is impossible to complete no matter what /fistshake) so many times.

EDIT: I don't mean to be crass, but I'm watching an animation thing on VII and it never occurred to me before that despite VII being basically the earliest days of CG in video games, where even the cinematic models were pretty low quality and had poor animation, they still put effort into making Tifa's boobs jiggle. :lol: They have more complex animation than nearly any other thing in the game.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    The only reason I haven't cancelled my Amazon preorder is because they're still honoring my 20% prime discount from when I initially placed the order back in 2015. Otherwise I would have gotten digital at this point.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I played it for a bit last night, and even though I had already played the demo, it still was such a rush of nostalgia.

I literally just sat on the main menu for a bit as flood of memories came back to me.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    A little detail I really like is the sounds slowing down when you switch to commands.
    I keep launching guards into the air, then slowing it to a "Ahhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" as I go to pick a move to finish them off.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Lots of pop in and bad textures in Chapter 3. Could use a day-one patch to smooth em out.
    ecwz95a5dhpo.png

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Ya I kept waiting for that texture in your spoiler to finish loading in and it just kinda never did.

It's a bit jarring with how good the rest of the game looks.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I only have a PS4 classic unfortunately, so I imagine a lot of the issues will be even worse

• Options
    I'm running on a base PS4 and other than a handful of texture issues it seems to run pretty well. Haven't noticed any real slowdown so far.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I can't tell if the camera keeps focusing on Tifas boobs or if my eyes are just pulled there by other outside forces but someone should be ashamed!

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Lots of pop in and bad textures in Chapter 3. Could use a day-one patch to smooth em out.
    ecwz95a5dhpo.png

Even Cloud looks like he's tired of waiting.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    A story of a Best Buy (Pickup) Preorder in 4 Parts:

From Preorder through Last Night: Your order is ready to pick up at 10am Friday at your location.
    This Morning: Your order is ready to pick up at 10am today at your location.
    10am Today At Pickup: Your order is not available at your location. Please update your order.

Refund. Buy off of PSN

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    ecwz95a5dhpo.png

I noticed that one, but only that one (slightly exaggerated because it's repeated three times right there). The rest of it's been fine.
    But I'm only at the end of Chapter 3, maybe there's more.

Can anyone explain what the crosshairs on the Enemy Intel list mean? I know the magnifying glass is there if I've cast Assess on them, but I've got a few crosshairs, too.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    So far the winner of this remake is definitely jessie.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    ecwz95a5dhpo.png

Makes me feel better about putting this off till I finish some of my other games first. Paid the extra fee for day 1, should be here tonight, but not really ready to play it yet lol. Hopefully we'll get a patch in the next couple days.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I'm the best. Suck it, Wedge!
    xtbzzs9bg72x.png

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    What the fuck. Tifa is a local Capo and we're her muscle?

Also whats with that personality shift from the landlady! We were just chatting sweetly like an hour ago.

EDIT: Is that skinny fella with the green shirt Balthier's voiceactor?

ED! on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Not gonna lie this remake makes me realize that the whole thin
    Kana wrote: »
    So far the winner of this remake is definitely jessie.

Yeah. They really gave her a lot more personality.

Also I was so glad when
    She told Cloud to bring the whole brooding mercenary act down a bit cause that was exactly what I was thinking.