As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help Tef unpack all his stuff

1121314151618»

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Have you considered using a catapult for unpacking? If you aim it just right, everything lands in its place!

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    I'm great at emptying boxes. You just cut the tape on both ends and lift rapidly!

any% strats right here

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    How many books were there to move?

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular

This speaks to me.

The biggest reason I never want to move again is having to go through packing all my books again.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    honestly I don't really mind moving the books, it's tedious but it's finite and as long as you don't get ambitious with box size then it's just a matter of ferrying them around.
    It's furniture I hate dealing with. Taking it apart/rebuilding (or NOT taking it apart and hoping like heck it survives the transition in one piece), wondering if this is the year that I should finally get rid of the 13-year-old ikea futon couch or if it will make it through one more apartment, etc etc

Anything I can't lift just by myself stresses me out.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Back around the time of the American Revolution, they had to pass a law making it illegal to burn your house down when you moved. Wood was cheap and nails were expensive imports, so it was easier to just pick them out of the ashes and use them to build a new house wherever you were going.

I think about that a lot every time it gets to the furniture phase of moving house.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Back around the time of the American Revolution, they had to pass a law making it illegal to burn your house down when you moved. Wood was cheap and nails were expensive imports, so it was easier to just pick them out of the ashes and use them to build a new house wherever you were going.

I think about that a lot every time it gets to the furniture phase of moving house.

This was one of those things where on hearing it I was gobsmacked.
    Moving Day was a tradition in New York City dating back to colonial times and lasting until after World War II. On February 1, sometimes known as "Rent Day", landlords would give notice to their tenants what the new rent would be after the end of the quarter, and the tenants would spend good-weather days in the early spring searching for new houses and the best deals. On May 1, all leases in the city expired simultaneously at 9:00 am, causing thousands of people to change their residences, all at the same time.

In 1799, an observer commented that New Yorkers "are seized on the first of May, by a sort of madness, that will not let them rest till they have changed their dwelling." Because there were not enough cartmen to handle all the traffic, farmers would come from Long Island and New Jersey to rent out their wagons at high prices. By 1820, because of the large increase in the number of propertyless renters, Moving Day had become "pandemonium", with the streets gridlocked with wagons carting household goods. The tradition was still in force in 1848, when the Tenant League denounced it as a way for landlords to raise rents every year. The cost of moving was another concern, as cartmen sometimes charged more than the official rates set by city ordinances – people were known to pay up to a week's wages to be moved – and the truckman might, if the customer refused to pay on delivery, take their belongings to Police Headquarters, charging for the additional transportation.
    At the height of Moving Day in the early 20th century, it was estimated that a million people in the city all changed their residences at the same time. Resistance to Moving Day was strong in the 1920s and 1930s, but it took the start of World War II to end the general practice, as the moving industry found it difficult to find able-bodied men to do the work.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    That's some Italo Calvino nonsense right there.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    That's still how it works in Boston

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah that's not really that unfamiliar a concept in modern cities

It's not always May 1st for everyone, but it's been May 1st for me for a long while now and that's not an inaccurate description

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    That's some Italo Calvino nonsense right there.

Invisible Cities is one of my favorite books ever.

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    What if I just help unpack a little bit of the stuff? Will someone still fly me out there?

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i did part of my thesis on Calvino

good times

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »

This speaks to me.

The biggest reason I never want to move again is having to go through packing all my books again.

I smugly packed my books into my suitcases so I could wheel them around instead of picking them up

I then pulled a butt muscle getting the larger suitcase downstairs

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I did 5 moves in 3 years and it broke my spirit; I digitised my whole library after that and never looked back. Still have a number of big bookshelves in the old family home, but they will stay there until we burn the place down for the nails

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Solid joke, no notes.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Who thinks Tef still has unpacked boxes?

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    My stuff arrived Wednesday just gone!

The dock workers went on strike over Christmas, so I had basically a month of delays and the family living out of suitcases, but we’re progressing nicely now

ds8emadl463z.jpeg

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I've still got unpacked boxes from last May

I'm using one as a stand for my tablet so I can watch stuff while on the crapper

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    My boxes aren't un-unpacked. That's just where I keep stuff now.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I’ve been in this house for 18 months and I still have boxes I could unpack.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, we've got a couple moving boxes that are now * that stuff is staying in there until we remember to donate it" boxes.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah, we've got a couple moving boxes that are now * that stuff is staying in there until we remember to donate it" boxes.

We went from a much bigger house to a smaller house so we have a lot of boxes of stuff that just doesn’t fit.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I emptied a box of old IT nonsense over the new year break and got rid of most of it. Now there's only one box left. I've only been moved in for over 8 years so I think I'm doing well.

• Options
    I can’t wait to go from this small house to a bigger house so I can unpack everything and be like, “I need more stuff”

I love buying stuff

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited February 5
    I can’t wait to go from this small house to a bigger house so I can unpack everything and be like, “I need more stuff”

I love buying stuff

Oof, we would not get along.

Edit: My favorite activity to do with my wife is go walk around a mall, identify things we like, and then go home having bought nothing.

Helps with birthday gifts a ton, too.

sarukun on
  • Options
    sarukun wrote: »

I love buying stuff

Oof, we would not get along.

Edit: My favorite activity to do with my wife is go walk around a mall, identify things we like, and the go home having bought nothing.

Helps with birthday gifts a ton, too.

Well then we shall have to duel.

• Options
    I want you to know I respect you, and will probably shit my self immediately before dying.

• Options
    I want you to know I respect you, and will probably shit my self immediately before dying.

I will clean you and make sure your corpse is found in respectable condition.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I’m now at the point where I’m again packing stuff up “just in case”

Had a few years of being fully moved in at least

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    My wife and I have been in our house for just over 10 years now and we still have boxes in the garage that are unpacked.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    We've been here, what, 3 years? Last week I unpacked the boxes full of art, paintings and pictures for the wall. 3 more boxes cleared!

I mean, I haven't hung the pictures up on the wall or anything. They're still just all leaning against furniture in the room with the boxes.

Progress!

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options

I will clean you and make sure your corpse is found in respectable condition.

I'm ready to die now.

• Options
    We’ll put you in that box that fishman has spare.

• Options
    Sorry, boxes.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    Sorry, boxes.

I’m not dismembering anyone

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Do we have to help Tef unpack his trauma too

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

After the boxes.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »

After the boxes.

Can we put the trauma back in the other now empty boxes?