As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam]-heim. Valhalla has no backlogs.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Happy 10 Year Anniversary, Steam Thread!!

What's that, iolo? The Steam thread is older than 10 years. What are you on about?

Well sure, the actual threads are older than that. But 10 years ago, almost to the minute, this post set off an explosion:

D5Hdo1T.png

Our man @Anon the Felon, inspired by that year's Thanksgiving Steam sale and its flash deals and inexpensive multi-packs, decided to open up his friend list to PA forumers and to share out some goodwill in the form of wishlisted games.

That lovely, lovely post set off a cascade of friending and gifting that has grown, evolved and sustained itself to this day. There was gifting in the thread before that. A couple people on that page above got gifts, and even someone named "Isy" reported getting an Assassin's Creed game as a gift a few pages before.

But as you can see in the thread, what really sprang into being right there was the community. Within 24 hours, Anon the Felon reported over 70 new friends. Other people got into the act, friending each other. People started doling out some of those crazy bundles - a six pack of Borderlands, an 8 pack of Deus X, a 12 (!) pack of Audiosurf, etc. - to other people here just because they were here.

The community has gone through a lot since then - friending and gifting, top hats and monocles, limed text, wishlist stalking, contests, recommending games, charitable fundraising, comic edits, epic gladatorial events and space exploration, gift beggars (the first one, joining the forum just to ask for games, appeared within 24 hours!), the G&T Adventure Team, co-op play, The Mystery of Nobody, Steamgifts, Let's Plays, class assault, monstering, a progressively more glorious OP that no one reads, 24 hours streams, and more!

I love this community - the thread and the forums at large. It is my home on the Internet and has been for some time. I wanted to commemorate this anniversary with something special. So, even though Steamgift gifting is somewhat out of vogue (and has been since Steam did away with games in the inventory), I'm going to put up some of the community's most wanted games:

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

If you have any interest in these games I encourage you to enter. You don't have to play it right away (or ever, honestly)! If you win and the game is Euroshielded or otherwise blocked from my American self sending you a copy on Steam, I'll work with you to find a way.

Happy Anniversary, All, and Happy Thanksgiving! <3
    Holy shit.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Careful now, any more class and you'll break the forums.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Man, that was a long time ago. I went through a couple of pages. It's nice to know time has been kind to those memories. PA will always feel like my home on the internet.

To think, I was broke as hell back then!

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    It's been kinda hard to feel ok these days, for most I'm sure. Thanks @iolo for the boost of positivity and a reminder that humans can be cool and good to each other.

🥰

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    That's some high quality gaming giftage @Iolo. I'm going to pass because God knows I have too many games and not enough time as it is, but that's awesome and you are a class act. Glad that I have been able to call this thread home the past few years.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Now that was virtuous.

• Options
    QuestorQuestor PAX Aus Tabletop [E] Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Wowzers, so much class

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Blimey, iolo!!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Terraria with mods or stardew valley with mods?

Wanna ecplore

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Death Stranding is under $25 US right now and I am sorely tempted.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I'M NOT CRYING, YOU'RE CRYING!

:heartbeat:

Edit: just seen my earlier posts.... can't tell if i was gift begging or trying to get in to a multi pack deal with someone. :o

Big Classy on
  • Options
    You guys have honestly been one of my bastions of good tidings through all this chaos. I've been working my ass off since March so I haven't been posting as much, but you're here when I need to take a breath and that's very important for me.

Thank you all.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular

Wanna ecplore

Starbound with mods.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Such class, thank you @Iolo ! And everyone here! <3

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Death Stranding is under $25 US right now and I am sorely tempted.

You know the drill:

5GZt4ds.jpg

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Since building The Blue Bomber I have started playing the recent Assassin's Creeds starting with Origins.

I'm upset I never got around to playing it before, the game is great! I took a break after Black Flag, the games felt stale after that. Origins feels fresh as hell. Plus it's really pretty and I'm averaging 90-120 FPS with everything on Very High and a couple of Ultras thrown in.

Unfortunately I am at work right now but all I want to do is play more.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Since building The Blue Bomber I have started playing the recent Assassin's Creeds starting with Origins.

I'm upset I never got around to playing it before, the game is great! I took a break after Black Flag, the games felt stale after that. Origins feels fresh as hell. Plus it's really pretty and I'm averaging 90-120 FPS with everything on Very High and a couple of Ultras thrown in.

Protip: Skip to Valhalla. :razz:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020

Protip: Skip to Valhalla. :razz:

I'm one of the weirdos that like the real world parts too, that's why I started with Origins. Beginning of the Layla story arc.

I did buy Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla though.

Halfazedninja on

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Origin and Odyssey, I prefer the latter, are amazing games though.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    They're all good, but they are redonkulously long and I can't imagine playing even 2, let alone 3, in sequence. So that's why I say skip to the best one...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options

Wanna ecplore

Starbound with mods.

Very funny.....😑

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Origins has my favorite AC protagonist. Bayek feels human in a way the other series leads seldom have. It was also refreshing to play a game not set in Europe or its colonies in a mainline game for the first time in a long time. Odyssey refines a lot of the mechanical changes Origins introduced but Origins was the first time I actually cared about the main story in an AC game in, well, actually probably ever.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Steam Award Nominations!

But Ive only played 3 games released this year :S

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular

Origins has my favorite AC protagonist. Bayek feels human in a way the other series leads seldom have. It was also refreshing to play a game not set in Europe or its colonies in a mainline game for the first time in a long time. Odyssey refines a lot of the mechanical changes Origins introduced but Origins was the first time I actually cared about the main story in an AC game in, well, actually probably ever.

I know I'm the odd man out here (and I haven't started Origins yet so maybe I'll wind up agreeing), but I felt that way about Shay in AC: Rogue. For the first time since Ezio the protagonist's choices and motivations really felt genuine to me.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I've started with Odyssey as my first ever Assassin Creed on PS5 because Greek mythology. Having fun with it thus far, still getting the hang of combat but my new gear is helping with that. I don't plan to get Valhalla any time soon though, at least not until it's got a complete edition for $30 or less, which is gonna be a while.

I might get Origin after Odyssey, or I might just jump right back to Ghost of Tsushima.

• Options
    JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    I’m looking for recommendations on good coop games. A couple of my friends and I have enjoyed playing through games like Vermintide 2 and Deep Rock Galactic and are looking for something new to play. Any ideas on something similar to those? I’ve been eyeballing Risk of Rain 2 and maybe GTFO. Thanks!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    JMan711 wrote: »
    I’m looking for recommendations on good coop games. A couple of my friends and I have enjoyed playing through games like Vermintide 2 and Deep Rock Galactic and are looking for something new to play. Any ideas on something similar to those? I’ve been eyeballing Risk of Rain 2 and maybe GTFO. Thanks!

Full Metal Furies was a lot of fun coop. It's a game with a story and end, but there is still lots to unlock and harder modes after you beat it once I think. Unrailed is also a lot of fun, though it doesn't have the kind of progression those other games has, and is more like an Overcooked style of game (though different enough that it's worth a look if you don't like Overcooked).

• Options
    They're all good, but they are redonkulously long and I can't imagine playing even 2, let alone 3, in sequence. So that's why I say skip to the best one...

Yeah I'm definitely not jumping from one right into the other. I will take a small break after Origins before I play the next one. I am trying to just stick the mostly story missions though.

Yeah Bayek is great. You can feel the humanity in him. I did give him his hair and beard back though. I didn't like Bald Bayek.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

Full Metal Furies was a lot of fun coop. It's a game with a story and end, but there is still lots to unlock and harder modes after you beat it once I think. Unrailed is also a lot of fun, though it doesn't have the kind of progression those other games has, and is more like an Overcooked style of game (though different enough that it's worth a look if you don't like Overcooked).

Overcooked 2 is also fun co-op chaos.

If you like MMO's, there's always FF14 or WoW. but those aren't for everyone and are not similiar at all to your preferred games.

Phasmaphobia is also fun, in its own way. It is not an mmo.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Any nominee suggestions for those of us who have been deep, deep in the "old games" mine?

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Honestly my only problem with the AC games at this point is I'm not playing M games in front of the kid, which means I only get to play when he's asleep at this point. On the other hand, it does push me to play those games that are more kid friendly, like Ni No Kuni 2 and Dragon Quest XI and World of Final Fantasy and the like.

I mean, I'll even carry it up to some T rated games; he really liked Breath of the Wild (mainly the cooking thing) and is intensely interested in watching me play Spider-Man or Final Fantasy 7 Remake, so I finished those with relative ease.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    I wish I could relive my shock going from AC to AC2. Just an incredible jump in production.

• Options

Overcooked 2 is also fun co-op chaos.

If you like MMO's, there's always FF14 or WoW. but those aren't for everyone and are not similiar at all to your preferred games.

Phasmaphobia is also fun, in its own way. It is not an mmo.

NMS has multiplayer, so that's an option. Uh...Among Us?

This is a stretch but Spelunky 2 may have multi?

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Thanks @Drovek for In Other Waters!

header.jpg?t=1606324040

This is a cool looking, non-violent, underwater exploration game set on an alien planet. Neat - much obliged for the opportunity to check it out! :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Killer giveaway @Iolo

Haven't been up to too much Steam gaming this year, but I have circled back to Murder By Numbers lately. The story is ehh, but I like zoning out on the number puzzles.
    I guess it's on Steam too, even if I'm playing on PS4, but Yakuza Like a Dragon has been good fun. I always enjoy a Yakuza game.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Is there a way to disable mouse control in Doom 2016?

Trying to play with my ps4 pad and the game is just losing its mind with the mouse being all over the screen and messing with how I control Doomguy.

Literally unplayable.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Any nominee suggestions for those of us who have been deep, deep in the "old games" mine?

I need help with this too, please. I need visual style (putting Hades up for soundtrack) and VR.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Is there a way to disable mouse control in Doom 2016?

Trying to play with my ps4 pad and the game is just losing its mind with the mouse being all over the screen and messing with how I control Doomguy.

Literally unplayable.

It's not a weird touch pad thing, is it?

I played Doom 2016 with a Dualshock 4 and was never able to use the map unless I switched to the mouse. Made the game pretty hard to play.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    So I just got home, opened Waterfox and started looking at my usual tabs, and looked at Steamgifts before here, to see a bunch of games that I was going to enter and saw the group icon on them. I mouse over them and see @Iolo was the culprit and thought "Oh God, what trouble have they been getting into while I was at work?" Sure enough a combination of class and nostalgia overload has been taking place. Starting to feel old considering how long I've been here.

In any event not going to enter any of those to give everyone else a better chance at winning, without my CPU and GPU upgrades and my still large backlog, it would be wasteful if I can't crank some of those up to maximum.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Hades for everything this year.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
This discussion has been closed.