As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tales of Final Dragon Ocean: A JRPG Thread

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Nope, it won't work while the pieces are equipped. That seems to override it.

This would be a weird edge case for the short bit where that first set of cosmetic armor is also the best set you can get. The only options are changing one piece so you're not wearing the full set (even if it's a downgrade) or just dealing with it for the little bit until you can get a new piece on par with the cosmetic set

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    The dancer set is pretty cool though so really it's wins all around.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    At least the mc doesn't say anything pervy about it

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Gallopolis completed, new party member acquired.
    I can already tell that Sylvando is in the running for one of my favorite characters along with Veronica. Jester who not so secretly knows more than it appears and also understands when to act the fool and when to unleash his real skills. Yeah I'm looking forward to seeing what he's hiding. Who knows, he may end up pretending to betray me later, he's certainly that type.

Party going forward is going to be Hero in Greatsword path, Erik going down Knives path, Veronica picking up bonuses in Vim path, and Sylvando I'll pick once I get a feel for him. Serena is working on Lance path but I haven't found any of those in the recipes for this area so she's just been buffbotting most fights anyway.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I'm just fine with jrpgs keeping their tropes and foibles. It's part of their character and I'm not really down with everything becoming that boring western homogeneous 'adult' garbage that plagues everything these days.

Luckily it's still otaku who pay the bills when it comes to more niche stuff like rpgs and such so I'm probably not in any danger of losing my comfort food.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I just want dating sim aspects in rpgs to go away so we can get some actual well written romances with plot relevance again.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah I was just thinking about it and that was another problem I had with Cold Steel.

Every game the characters would get short term amnesia and none of the romance stuff you did to that point would matter.

So basically all of Rean's relationships with possible romance options were what I'd like to call "vaguely romantic" in that there are hints of romance there but because they can't commit to anything you're basically rehashing the same dynamic from game to game.

I honestly would have preferred they just picked one person, who wasn't his sister, and stick with that instead of the wishy-washy middle ground we got.

But that goes to what DemonStacey said about the game being non-committal in general.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I just want dating sim aspects in rpgs to go away so we can get some actual well written romances with plot relevance again.

Oh man what I wouldn't give for a proper romance in a JRPG(or any RPG really) again. No choices. No harem. Just a good ol fashioned love story.

Also Madican, all your DQXI stories are making me miss that game so much. It was just so dang good and so dang long in all the right ways.

DQXII time please?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

Oh man what I wouldn't give for a proper romance in a JRPG(or any RPG really) again. No choices. No harem. Just a good ol fashioned love story.

Also Madican, all your DQXI stories are making me miss that game so much. It was just so dang good and so dang long in all the right ways.

DQXII time please?

Xenoblade Chronicles I guess?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

DQXII time please?

I mean even that is a decade old.

And from that period Last Story was much more of a love story.

But again, that was a long ass time ago.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Dragon Quest's version of horny is the tamest shit on the planet, chill.

Also Rab is outwardly attracted to like one lady who is his age and he has a prior relationship with idk what you're on about.

Dude, there's like five scenes where he:
    Gives some rousing speech and then accidentally drops a copy of *checks Google* Ogler's Digest on the ground. It's his stupid running gag.

Did you block all those out of your memory?

Nah, that’s a good gag.

yeah man people allowed to look at nudie mags

if your on a long journey to save the world, it's ok to JO

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Before I leave for the next chapter I decided to do some horse racing after being directed by an NPC since that was fun in the main story. Took 1st Place in that mandatory race so I figured I had the mechanics down and could clean up some prizes. And I was right, because even on Difficult Silver I took 1st and set a new course record for being the best at Tokyo Drifting. Managed to pick up a swanky new armor piece for the Hero that's way better than anything I had.

I assume more courses will open up eventually so I'll have to keep checking back to see. For now, I think that's everything in this region so on to Gondolia. I'm predicting Venice-flavor stuff just by the name alone.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Yeah I was just thinking about it and that was another problem I had with Cold Steel.

Every game the characters would get short term amnesia and none of the romance stuff you did to that point would matter.

So basically all of Rean's relationships with possible romance options were what I'd like to call "vaguely romantic" in that there are hints of romance there but because they can't commit to anything you're basically rehashing the same dynamic from game to game.

I honestly would have preferred they just picked one person, who wasn't his sister, and stick with that instead of the wishy-washy middle ground we got.

But that goes to what DemonStacey said about the game being non-committal in general.

I feel like the game points more towards one character over another, and there were scenes in CS4 that felt like the game had a cannon romance, but let the player go another route if they wanted.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    The ones that come distinctly to mind for me, besides the previously listed The Last Story and Xenoblade:

Lunar II.
    Shadow Hearts 1+2 (Tragic, but still very much counts as it shows love doesn't end after death.)
    Tales of the Abyss.
    Trails in the Sky FC+SC.
    Lost Odyssey.
    Final Fantasy 9.
    Xenogears.

Yeah, they're all old.

• Options
    Dragon Quest XI was on track to have the childhood friend love interest with strong indications it would lead to marriage eventually.
    Until she got carbonized with the rest of the village.

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    I can already tell that Sylvando is in the running for one of my favorite characters along with Veronica. Jester who not so secretly knows more than it appears and also understands when to act the fool and when to unleash his real skills. Yeah I'm looking forward to seeing what he's hiding. Who knows, he may end up pretending to betray me later, he's certainly that type.

Party going forward is going to be Hero in Greatsword path, Erik going down Knives path, Veronica picking up bonuses in Vim path, and Sylvando I'll pick once I get a feel for him. Serena is working on Lance path but I haven't found any of those in the recipes for this area so she's just been buffbotting most fights anyway.

Something worth noting regarding this character gameplay wise
    Most of his good abilities scale off of his charm stat, so focusing on that makes him exceptionally powerful

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

Most of his good abilities scale off of his charm stat, so focusing on that makes him exceptionally powerful

Also, he's basically your only AoE healer for quite a while. Hustle Dance is almost broken strong for most of the game.

As for the other thing, the eyes, they roll. Not at you, at the game and one of the dumber eventual story beats.
    Oh, nobody was hurt when the evil overlord razed the village to the ground in his attempt to destroy humanity and conquer the world. He just put the entire village in jail. He's not a MONSTER, you know.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Also, he's basically your only AoE healer for quite a while. Hustle Dance is almost broken strong for most of the game.

As for the other thing, the eyes, they roll. Not at you, at the game and one of the dumber eventual story beats.
    Oh, nobody was hurt when the evil overlord razed the village to the ground in his attempt to destroy humanity and conquer the world. He just put the entire village in jail. He's not a MONSTER, you know.
    Just because you are bad guy, does not mean you are bad guy.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    The ones that come distinctly to mind for me, besides the previously listed The Last Story and Xenoblade:

Lunar II.
    Shadow Hearts 1+2 (Tragic, but still very much counts as it shows love doesn't end after death.)
    Tales of the Abyss.
    Trails in the Sky FC+SC.
    Lost Odyssey.
    Final Fantasy 9.
    Xenogears.

Yeah, they're all old.

Also Lunar 1, and FF4, and FF8 though that romance didn't really land for me.

Oh and FF10 of course

And I guess FF15 but it was terrible

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    You guys are rather casually dropping late game spoilers in the same post you discuss early game stuff, and... maybe you should just not do that? You've got them in separate spoiler boxes, but you do realize that quoting you reveals that and such, right? Also you're being really vague about when the spoiler is for, so...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

DQXII time please?

Yeah, but XC just got re-released on the Switch last year.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular

Lunar II.
    Tales of the Abyss.
    Trails in the Sky FC+SC.
    Lost Odyssey.
    Final Fantasy 9.
    Xenogears.

Yeah, they're all old.

Oh and FF10 of course

If I was inclined to give late 90s JRPG writers any credit, I'd say that Squall and Rinoa's romance isn't supposed to land, it's the kind of dumb relationship that seems very real, but adults are all just going "did he go into space for a girl he's known less than 3 months?".

But since this is FF I have to assume they were playing it completely straight. Romeo and Juliet it ain't.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »

Lunar II.
    Tales of the Abyss.
    Trails in the Sky FC+SC.
    Lost Odyssey.
    Final Fantasy 9.
    Xenogears.

Yeah, they're all old.

Oh and FF10 of course

Romeo and Juliet it ain't.

Of course not, all the SeeDs are too old.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Kurse all SeeDs

• Options

DQXII time please?

Yeah, but XC just got re-released on the Switch last year.

Same game and same story though. So certainly not a new entry.

Especially for us folks that don't replay things at all.

• Options
    There's a reason why I listed FF9 and not FF8

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Romeo and Juliet was in fact a very stupid romance. Romeo's established as a lovesick fool (who's pining for the end of a relationship that lasted all of a week or two at the start of the play), the title characters rush into marriage nearly immediately, and Romeo effectively gets two people killed because he's too high on the secret marriage to give a damn about keeping up appearances WRT the ongoing family feud.

Granted, they might have survived the whole affair if not for a very badly-timed mail failure, but the titular romance is more disastrous than it is inspiring.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Romeo and Juliet was in fact a very stupid romance. Romeo's established as a lovesick fool (who's pining for the end of a relationship that lasted all of a week or two at the start of the play), the title characters rush into marriage nearly immediately, and Romeo effectively gets two people killed because he's too high on the secret marriage to give a damn about keeping up appearances WRT the ongoing family feud.

Granted, they might have survived the whole affair if not for a very badly-timed mail failure, but the titular romance is more disastrous than it is inspiring.

I did a paper in AP English laying out how R and J should be included in the comedies instead of tragedies with a central conceit that Bill proved once and for all that teenagers be dumb.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021

While not my favorite party member (only ranking at #2) in the game, they are pretty awesome, and easily among better characters in jrpg's in general.
    Without going into details, if you were not already in love with sylvando when leaving Gallopolis, you would be by the time you leave Gondolia.
    Seriously, the man is a reasure.

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    With a song in my heart, my foot hurting from how hard I kicked Jasper's ass, and all the stuff that wasn't nailed down in my pocket it's time to leave Gondolia behind and sail to the great blue *checks map* inland sea apparently! Onward!
    You know I'm starting to think that maybe, just maybe, Heliodor is in fact not a noble country of honorable knights and chivalry, what with siccing a giant monster on another country's ships just to harass them and both of its big name knights just being assholes in general. Also that spell Jasper used to hit Erik was distinctly dark colored.

Sylvando was of course fantastic all throughout these series of events.

• Options
    That's my point. Nobody who understands Romeo and Juliet thinks of it as a love story for the ages. If I thought FF8's writers intended to do a thoughtful send-up of teen romance, FF8 would be almost brilliant. But, like I said, I'm certain they meant to play it completely straight.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Nobody understood Romeo and Juliet better than Yoko Taro.

• Options
    I found the Casino.

My wallet is in danger.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    I found the Casino.

My wallet is in danger.

Not if you hit it big. GO ALL IN

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I love jRPGs that let you autosave in the casino or put a save point right in there.

It's like "You know why I'm here."

• Options
    I love jRPGs that let you autosave in the casino or put a save point right in there.

Yeah I've already figured out I am pretty much intended to use and abuse the autosave unless I want to blow quite a lot of gold

• Options

Yeah I've already figured out I am pretty much intended to use and abuse the autosave unless I want to blow quite a lot of gold

If you ask the attendant what machines are hot and autoplay on those you will basically always make a profit. You just need to have a few thousand tokens to start the ball rolling, since you'll go in the red for a bit till slime time kicks in and such.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular

If you ask the attendant what machines are hot and autoplay on those you will basically always make a profit. You just need to have a few thousand tokens to start the ball rolling, since you'll go in the red for a bit till slime time kicks in and such.

I'm not sure you even need to bother with that much since the profit even on the hot auto-play stuff is pretty low. Just do the poker or whatever and double down to the moon.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Yeah I've just been doing poker, aiming for Double or Nothing, then going until I can claim <4K or a particularly good item dropped from one of the chests then making a new autosave. I have about 25K tokens now.

• Options

I'm not sure you even need to bother with that much since the profit even on the hot auto-play stuff is pretty low. Just do the poker or whatever and double down to the moon.

probably, but my strat lets me go watch dumb videos for like an hour while the game wins me money

X22wmuF.jpg
This discussion has been closed.