Options

Let's all complain about the [job] thread

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    In other news,

Everyone give me your bad library/book puns that I can design a bulletin board around.

In the game of loans, you win, or you get an overdue fee.

• Options
    In other news,

Everyone give me your bad library/book puns that I can design a bulletin board around.

If you want something, reserve it early, it may be completely booked!

Bring a friend to the library, don’t browse by your shelf.

Do we have organized books? Dewey ever!

I’ll see myself out. Or rather, I’ll check myself out.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I debated whether to share this anywhere, because I find myself completely unable to listen to a podcast where I am a participant, especially about a website I made 10 years ago when I was a completely different person. But I was on a podcast last week:

https://thebebopbeat.simplecast.com/episodes/sympathy-for-the-devil

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    In other news,

Book'em Danno

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    What's a bookworm's favourite genre of music?

Bibliotechno.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I need to design a visual bulletin board around these thing people! The only one with easy visuals at this point is Book'em Danno but I can't put a giant picture of Jack Lord and James MacArthur up there because kids aren't going to have any idea who those dudes are.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    What size is the bulletin board?

Maybe it could be your Large Print-Out Section.

• Options
    Which heresy is thought to have its roots in Alexandria?

LibrArianism.

That should be pretty easy to illustrate on your board.

• Options
    What if you put a picture of YiGiOh on there and he's shouting about the heart of the card catalogue?

What if you made some bookMark Ruffalos and you give them out when people check out a Hulk trade paperback or a Zodiac Killer book?

Ummm no no these are all good ideas!!

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    What if you put a picture of YiGiOh on there and he's shouting about the heart of the card catalogue?

What if you made some bookMark Ruffalos and you give them out when people check out a Hulk trade paperback or a Zodiac Killer book?

These are actually good ideas!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Burn it all down with a READ-y Player Two board. Get real obnoxious with 80s movie puns. Book to the Future. Readers of the Lost ARC. The Last AR Fighter.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Burn it all down with a READ-y Player Two board. Get real obnoxious with 80s movie puns. Book to the Future. Readers of the Lost ARC. The Last AR Fighter.

But I want to reference GOOD books.

• Options
    Listen, do you want to encourage literacy or hurt children with puns?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    So if someone saw a need (though not necessarily demand) and wanted to start offering consulting as a side gig (and ignore for now what my main employer thinks) would...establishing myself as an LLC and making sure to give the irs their cut be most of the way to doing so in a legit manner? That seems simultaneously right, but also too simple.

That is how you do it, but primary employer is often the challenge, as avoiding conflicts of interest is tough, especially in narrow areas of expertise. I know of a few people that are told to shut down their consultancy in the next week or find themselves jobless.

Yeah I'll be running the idea past my manager that I have good rapport with, but it would be limited to strict technical advising on a common technique. Working with a variety of outside sources has taught us, "oh, oh everyone is TERRIBLE at this because no one gets trained well" So if I can swoop in and say I don't care what you are doing with it, but I can help you run that machine real good, well, the need is there, and no clue on the demand. But even if I never get hired, I haven't lost much.

You have several options going solo starting a company.

LLC as a pass through - no EIN and you file all income on your personal taxes instead of paying corporate income tax
    LLC taxed as C-Corp or S-Corp - Apply for EIN, open bank account, pay corporate taxes then pay salary to yourself (salary stuff is deductible!)
    S-Corp - Corp filing status that is a passthrough, but allows you to get investors more easily
    C-Corp - full on actual corporation, requires a lot of official shit to happen (stock, meetings, etc) and extra paperwork generally

LLC taxed as C-Corp is probably the most "official" and least hassle of the bunch... but single member LLC just doing it's normal passthrough is fine too. Definitely talk to a small business lawyer since you're getting involved directly with your current employer.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

Already a huge success.

sbu0wdecob5u.jpeg

• Options

Okay for real though I think this might work great. Get copies of original movie posters and photoshop the title changes over them.

I need everyone to pick some 80's movies and come up with a book/library related title change!

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I need to design a visual bulletin board around these thing people! The only one with easy visuals at this point is Book'em Danno but I can't put a giant picture of Jack Lord and James MacArthur up there because kids aren't going to have any idea who those dudes are.
    Do we not talk about the 5-0 reboot?

sig.gif
  • Options

Okay for real though I think this might work great. Get copies of original movie posters and photoshop the title changes over them.

I need everyone to pick some 80's movies and come up with a book/library related title change!

Readers of the Lost Arc.

Full Dust Jacket.

Das Book.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    So my principal asked me to use all my video production skills to record his intros for various virtual awards ceremonies and end year stuff. I'm like, okay no problem. Go get the green screen set up and the lights and camera ready. I see him this morning in a suit and a green tie.

Well that's not going to work on a green screen. So I think and turn to my para and ask her if she still hates the bulletin board we have decorated in this book popcorn this we did years ago. She is like YES! We quickly rip it all down so I can take the blue plastic tablecloth that is the background and turn it into a jury-rigged blue screen.

We'll see how this goes whenever he shows up.

Clearly he wanted you to do goofy green screen antics on his tie, and you let him down.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular

in-a-world-of-bookworm-be-a-book-wyrm-tshirt-felix.jpg

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    So my principal asked me to use all my video production skills to record his intros for various virtual awards ceremonies and end year stuff. I'm like, okay no problem. Go get the green screen set up and the lights and camera ready. I see him this morning in a suit and a green tie.

Well that's not going to work on a green screen. So I think and turn to my para and ask her if she still hates the bulletin board we have decorated in this book popcorn this we did years ago. She is like YES! We quickly rip it all down so I can take the blue plastic tablecloth that is the background and turn it into a jury-rigged blue screen.

Clearly he wanted you to do goofy green screen antics on his tie, and you let him down.

I mean I can just yank down the blue tablecloth.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Last night I had to do pets and sporting goods on a double truck and had to put up with the cap 2 manager telling me to stop talking trash about him and his poorly lead crew in a less than managerial way
    I just drug my ass home with 90 minutes of ot and don't have the energy to go to bed ...

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

The Bookfest Club

Edit: fest! How did I miss that

Ethea on
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular

Honestly a moving tie pattern would be pretty neat, just put a gif behind a transparent layer, would add some real pizazz to what is otherwise a dude reading I'd guess.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

Conan the Librarian

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Last night I had to do pets and sporting goods on a double truck and had to put up with the cap 2 manager telling me to stop talking trash about him and his poorly lead crew in a less than managerial way
    I just drug my ass home with 90 minutes of ot and don't have the energy to go to bed ...

Cap 2 manager continuing to be shitty.

But at least you didn't have to work frozen!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options

Honestly a moving tie pattern would be pretty neat, just put a gif behind a transparent layer, would add some real pizazz to what is otherwise a dude reading I'd guess.

Hmmm I have an animated loop of the max headroom background. That would look pretty cool on a tie.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Read or Die seems an obvious one as well. I suppose it might be too old at this point, but bonus for what is, I assume, the most accurate depiction of high level librarian work.

Gnizmo on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    You could do one of our favorites, "I Mustache You To Read This" and then you put paper mustaches on all of the books on the display and all of your colleagues get very upset.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    They forgot to fire my partner this month. Like: literally. She just received her salary and it's a full month. They just completely forgot to fire her.

She has been ill for 2 years, hasn't worked a day in all that time, requested benefits from the government, they granted it to her and already paid her first few weeks. She never got anything in writing from her old job. She figured they had just neglected to send her a good bye note. Turns out they just completely forgot all about this. It is so dumb: they had to also request from the government that they could fire her. They've been trying to get rid of her or get her back to work for two full years.

We're going to call the union tomorrow to ask for legal advice, because she currently either got too much money from the govt or from one of the largest companies on this planet.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Listen, do you want to encourage literacy or hurt children with puns?

Yes

• Options
    Customer was so happy with my case handling they tweeted about it, and our social media team picked it up. And now I have a badge for it (think work cheevo) and got thanked by my boss and my boss’s boss.

Heck yeah!

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    "Better Read Than Dead" with this guy:

md18atpl3m99.png

• Options
    PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    LOL - perfect @MrMonroe

What do you do when you have a deadline coming, but all you want to do is eat ice cream and play video games?

If anyone has a quick burnout cure, please let me know X )

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    LOL - perfect MrMonroe

What do you do when you have a deadline coming, but all you want to do is eat ice cream and play video games?

If anyone has a quick burnout cure, please let me know X )

Continue the video games and eating. And then hate my past self after the deadline for being a garbage person.

If you discover a way out of this self created prison, I'd love to hear it!

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    They forgot to fire my partner this month. Like: literally. She just received her salary and it's a full month. They just completely forgot to fire her.

She has been ill for 2 years, hasn't worked a day in all that time, requested benefits from the government, they granted it to her and already paid her first few weeks. She never got anything in writing from her old job. She figured they had just neglected to send her a good bye note. Turns out they just completely forgot all about this. It is so dumb: they had to also request from the government that they could fire her. They've been trying to get rid of her or get her back to work for two full years.

We're going to call the union tomorrow to ask for legal advice, because she currently either got too much money from the govt or from one of the largest companies on this planet.

This reminds me of a story I read today about a person in Italy who was assigned to work at a hospital and literally did not show up to work there for 15 years! And was paid for that whole time!

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Although the context of that being part of a larger investigation into public servant corruption and threats made against the original manager this person was supposed to report to are relevant as well.

• Options
    PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    Continue the video games and eating. And then hate my past self after the deadline for being a garbage person.

Garbage person or hedonist who has their priorities straight? : P

Way out- usually I manage to get started after food & a break, just not today : / eeek

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Radiation wrote: »

Garbage person or hedonist who has their priorities straight? : P

Way out- usually I manage to get started after food & a break, just not today : / eeek

When I was in grad school and later when I was freelancing, I found it extremely helpful to schedule big blocks of time where I had to play video games and eat ice cream without feeling guilty about it.

I kept falling into patterns where I had a deadline, but I wanted to eat ice cream and play video games instead of working on the thing, and so instead of playing video games or eating ice cream or working on the thing, I'd just refresh the same three websites all day until it was evening and I was neither productive nor refreshed. Even when I did eat ice cream and play video games, it didn't do me any good because I was guilty about not doing the thing, so I kept getting constant brain zaps instead of endorphins.

The honest fact is that most people have a relatively small window of real productivity in their daily schedule where they can get shit done. For me, it's between 7 AM and noon. So what I did was wake up between 5 and 6 AM (this isn't important, substitute your human schedule for the metabolic mess my farmer heritage has wrought) and just drink coffee and putter around until 7. At 7 AM I'd take a shower and then do the work until lunch.

After lunch was for everything except the thing. I could play video games or bake or clean the house or visit the zoo, but the thing was not invited to the party. I couldn't work on the thing, so I might as well relax and do the things I wanted to do. Then at the end of the day I could go to bed and actually sleep and work on the thing again in the morning.

I don't know if this is helpful in your specific situation, but it did wonders for me.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, much like how recovery is critical to getting gains from working out, breaks are critical to keeping your mind sharp and productive.

The trick for me is to hard schedule the breaks into my day and mentally treat them as important as my hours spent working. I am doing what my brain needs to be productive during those working hours.

Treating it that way helps remove the guilt and lets me actually enjoy my breaks, while also making sure those breaks don’t accidentally run long and eat my whole day.