As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Get in the car, loser [chat], we're going on a Shadowrun!

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Other - Look, we don't have a class-based system here, so everyone has some weird special snowflake build designed to maximize Shurikens or some shit like that.
    I would love an ISP that you call and say "my internet is out" and they ping your modem, which responds and says it has good signal to noise with 8 downlink, 2 uplink channels, and the ISP says "lol no it isn't sort out your shit" and then they hang up.

We don't expect the power company to fix our appliances. Stop expecting ISPs to know any fucking thing about your computers. It's most of why their support is dogshit. They've got too much ground to cover and their time is endlessly wasted by morons who can't work a router.

Difference is that ISPs provide the routers.

On my equipment, where I have my own router, that's one thing.

but if all the equipment is leased from the ISP, that's 100% their deal.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I would love an ISP that you call and say "my internet is out" and they ping your modem, which responds and says it has good signal to noise with 8 downlink, 2 uplink channels, and the ISP says "lol no it isn't sort out your shit" and then they hang up.

We don't expect the power company to fix our appliances. Stop expecting ISPs to know any fucking thing about your computers. It's most of why their support is dogshit. They've got too much ground to cover and their time is endlessly wasted by morons who can't work a router.

I mean, I tried very hard to do that first thing, but some people refuse to be educated.

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    Face - I'm the only one in the team who put points into Etiquette?
    Athenor wrote: »
    So as usual, I have more money than sense.

I have a set of Jaybird X3's. I'm getting new memory foam ear tips for them ahead of my trip.

I am debating if I want to buy a set of Bose noise cancelling headphones.
    - I don't travel a TON, but I'd like to change that.
    - I just picked up Fuser, which I plan on playing on my trip a decent amount. I'm worried about Bluetooth lag to my PC.
    - I also want something with a ton of power....

So.. yeah. Do I buy the $300 noise cancelling headphones that I'm not sure if I need?

They arent that good for travel, Ive found. Good foam tips are better, unless you find them very uncomfortable. They are kind of bulky, battery only goes 8 hours, cant have one in/one out walking around airport, dont work that well with certain voice types or sounds.

• Options
    I should probably point out to everyone that I am no longer working in that position.

I'm in the Network Operations Center now, so I don't deal directly with customers.

Phew!

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Decker/Hacker - I'm a fuckin' nerd.
    I used to have TV service through my fiber provider, but maybe I was the only one, or it wasn't good business or something, so they decided to stop offering it. That didn't keep them from charging me for it, and when they took down my access to the Internet to remove it, access never came back despite their claims to contrary - I had to call them and enter a personal name and password I never created directly into the router to get back on. The line in panel two was a direct quote, and it was not a comfort. But once I was able to get them to remove the fee for the service I didn't have access to, they offered me gigabit speeds - ten times my original rate - for 25 dollars less than I was currently paying...? It was one of the most bewildering customer service experiences I've ever had. It still feels like my brain is spinning in my head

fiber + tv service at one point? oh the poor fucker is on frontier

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    There’s also the time Bird told a guy on a rival team he was playing just before Christmas that he had a present for them.

Come the game he sinks a 3-pointer, runs past the bench where the guy was sitting and says MERRY FUCKIN CHRISTMAS.

THAT'S THE STORY

god thank you

I thought it was Happy Birthday and I could never find that fucking story online

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Other - Look, we don't have a class-based system here, so everyone has some weird special snowflake build designed to maximize Shurikens or some shit like that.
    Tumin wrote: »
    So as usual, I have more money than sense.

I have a set of Jaybird X3's. I'm getting new memory foam ear tips for them ahead of my trip.

I am debating if I want to buy a set of Bose noise cancelling headphones.
    - I don't travel a TON, but I'd like to change that.
    - I just picked up Fuser, which I plan on playing on my trip a decent amount. I'm worried about Bluetooth lag to my PC.
    - I also want something with a ton of power....

So.. yeah. Do I buy the $300 noise cancelling headphones that I'm not sure if I need?

They arent that good for travel, Ive found. Good foam tips are better, unless you find them very uncomfortable. They are kind of bulky, battery only goes 8 hours, cant have one in/one out walking around airport, dont work that well with certain voice types or sounds.

All fair points. :) I think my biggest issue with the Jaybirds is the kind of sticky cable rubbing against the back of my neck, but that might be on me. I really did like them until such time as I lost one of the ear tips, so I hope these Comply branded ones work better.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Street Samurai - Bushido. Honor. Claws in my wrists, monofilament katana in my fists. I'm a weeb who studied the blade.
    oh no

the juice from these cherries is leaking out of my springform pan

I wonder if this will fuck up the whole recipe

top of my cake lookin sad af

51074424927_d5781e4e56.jpg

look at that naked sponge T_T

This is what god invented the unnecessary cream cheese frosting for

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

I know, which is my my ideal ISP is one that doesn't do that.

ISPs love the juicy fees that come with equipment rentals, but their equiptment and their service of it is generally so bad that nobody would willingly pay for it. It's like colleges that force students on to horrible meal plans. They only get away with it because of their monopoly position and captive customer base.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I should probably point out to everyone that I am no longer working in that position.

I'm in the Network Operations Center now, so I don't deal directly with customers.

Phew!

Yeah I do some customer work, but mostly testing these days.

I still deal with some real jerky jerky people on occasion after they get done abusing my techs.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Troll - It doesn't matter what archetype you have, you're a Troll, and therefore you're the meatshield and human forklift.
    Kana wrote: »
    oh no

To cover up our sins with fig leaves?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    We have not set up a world where we teach people to use routers. Most people don't know the first thing about their own networking, I feel.

• Options

ISPs love the juicy fees that come with equipment rentals, but their equiptment and their service of it is generally so bad that nobody would willingly pay for it. It's like colleges that force students on to horrible meal plans. They only get away with it because of their monopoly position and captive customer base.

Ahhh, gotcha. Yeah, I'd agree there.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    oh no

Excuse me, while cream cheese frosting is an excellent suggestion, did you just call it "unnecessary".

• Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    Ork Investigator - Wait what? Get out of here. WTF?

but also, all you can eat cafeteria as a college student with not a lot of extra money? yes please!

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    look I figured out how to trick centurylink into giving me my pppoe password so I could use my own router and so can you

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Troll - It doesn't matter what archetype you have, you're a Troll, and therefore you're the meatshield and human forklift.
    Skippy's cake makes me sad

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    We have not set up a world where we teach people to use routers. Most people don't know the first thing about their own networking, I feel.

i know more than probably 80% of people at a conservative estimate and i feel like what i know is only enough to not be an annoying customer when i need help

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    look I figured out how to trick centurylink into giving me my pppoe password so I could use my own router and so can you

No I can't, Centurylink stops just short of my house, where comcast starts offering service. (I don't think the second part is actually true, I think everyone in my area can access comcast, but Centurylink definitely gave up expanding into the area in the mid 2000's)

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Skippy's cake makes me sad

because you can't have any i assume

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    my housemate saw me running cable to fix our wifi and she said "why are you using a cable to fix the wireless"

• Options

Nontechnical people give me shit for this but I think that we actually should be teaching the average person about networking. Just the very basics, just like how devices are assigned addresses, how data is sent from one address to another, and how certain pieces of equipment are responsible for getting it to its destination.

I'd like it if the average person saw a little cartoon diagram of how a home connects to the internet and they could reasonably describe what it shows. This isn't optional information anymore in my opinion. We can't have private infrastructure in homes that does essential work, that we expect people to manage, but they are universally incapable.

This is a technology that is rapidly becoming one of the most important on the entire planet and the average person is completely illiterate.

• Options
    speaking of customer service anyone know an HVAC guy who will return your calls once you decide you do want to pay him to do the work because shit man

• Options

When I first started in this company, we offered only discrete modems.

A couple years later we introduced the option of a gateway that combined the modem and router. We do not charge a fee for the modem, but the gateway has a $5 monthly fee attached to it.

So, the problems it was supposed to solve (Customer routers being problems we couldn't help with), it didn't (Customers still wanted us to fix their crap), and a whole new host of problems were introduced by having the gateway as an option. Namely, that customers became incensed that it cost money, and that the alternative, a discrete modem, required them to buy a router. That was un-fucking-acceptable to many people.

It was something I never actually was able to really figure out how to handle in a way that solved the issue, because logic was not a part of that conversation whatsoever. So at the end it came down to me just going, "These are the options you have. If neither is acceptable, then I can't help you any further."

Frankly, having been here before and after we offered gateways, I would rather we didn't. We should just have discrete modems. ISPs shouldn't offer gateways. Only modems. Let people manage their own home networks.

We would also get calls for cell phones not connecting to the wifi (We are not a cell provider), printers not connecting to wifi (We do not sell printers), computers not connecting to wifi (We do not sell computers), etc. Adding the gateway just made it so we had to approach the problem from "What if the wifi is causing the problem?" It sucked.

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »
    speaking of customer service anyone know an HVAC guy who will return your calls once you decide you do want to pay him to do the work because shit man

DK might be able to manage it.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Tav wrote: »
    my housemate saw me running cable to fix our wifi and she said "why are you using a cable to fix the wireless"

"You see, it starts at the physical network lay-- if you keep screaming, I'm going to have to start over."

zaql8at99rrq.png

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    PEOPLE DO NOT THROW SAUSAGE PIZZA AWAY

• Options

I'm still trying to get this house's developer to repaint the deck. He gave us a year after we bought to do any touch up/repairs. The deck started peeling almost immediately. We emailed him like a month before our year was up and he even came over to look it over, but it's been 6 months now...

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »

"You see, it starts at the physical network lay-- if you keep screaming, I'm going to have to start over."

zaql8at99rrq.png

I misread MPEG as MPREG and thought this was all an elaborate setup for a gregnant joke.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Kamiro wrote: »

but also, all you can eat cafeteria as a college student with not a lot of extra money? yes please!

In college, our mealplans were more than double the cost of buying unlimited food at the grocery store. I know because my senior year, my housemates and I all took the fees that would normally go into a meal plan, put it in a shared checking account, and used that to buy groceries with absolutely no budgeting or voice of reason in any transaction.

Six boxes of novelty cereal? Yes. An ice cream cake? Yes. Giant steaks? Double yes. We ended the year with more than half the money left over and ate like careless lunatic trash kings.

Those meal plans are a HUGE scam.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options

Nontechnical people give me shit for this but I think that we actually should be teaching the average person about networking. Just the very basics, just like how devices are assigned addresses, how data is sent from one address to another, and how certain pieces of equipment are responsible for getting it to its destination.

I'd like it if the average person saw a little cartoon diagram of how a home connects to the internet and they could reasonably describe what it shows. This isn't optional information anymore in my opinion. We can't have private infrastructure in homes that does essential work, that we expect people to manage, but they are universally incapable.

This is a technology that is rapidly becoming one of the most important on the entire planet and the average person is completely illiterate.

I totally agree, and we aren't setting this up at all. Home networking should be like minor home repairs (and it's physically easier and less risky). It's crucial home infrastructure.

But it's ugly, technical-looking, and laden with unfamiliar jargon. It's also not trivial to look up because of the terminology.

I would hope it's part of e.g. mandatory high school classes or something

• Options
    edited March 2021
    We also used that debit card for takeout constantly and it still did not deplete. Four mealplan fees added together was a ludicrous amount of money.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Integrated gateways are also bad, as far as I've heard and experienced

Buying a good router made a really big difference

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

I'm trying but they're paying me a pittance to do it so I'm actively trying to find a job that pays me better instead

And also the kids I get have absolutely 0 computer education before that so I also have to teach them the difference between a computer and a monitor and what folders are.

• Options

In college, our mealplans were more than double the cost of buying unlimited food at the grocery store. I know because my senior year, my housemates and I all took the fees that would normally go into a meal plan, put it in a shared checking account, and used that to buy groceries with absolutely no budgeting or voice of reason in any transaction.

Six boxes of novelty cereal? Yes. An ice cream cake? Yes. Giant steaks? Double yes. We ended the year with more than half the money left over and ate like careless lunatic trash kings.

i feel like this is like saying paying what restaurants charge is a huge scam

you did all the procurement and work yourself

that costs something

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Hermetic Mage - I'm Harry Potter with a midlife crisis and a gnarled wand.

My college meal plan was actually pretty good food and, of course, extremely convenient.

But yeah, we did the math once and we were paying restaurant prices for every meal (and the food wasn't that good). It's 100% about a captive audience and a hidden price tag.

MrMister on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

I sometimes think it sucks that dorms don't have kitchens, or that campus's don't have communal kitchens.

And then I remember who college students are.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Cyberpunk is 20% on gog.com.

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Hermetic Mage - I'm Harry Potter with a midlife crisis and a gnarled wand.

i feel like this is like saying paying what restaurants charge is a huge scam

you did all the procurement and work yourself

that costs something

It's more like airport restaurants being a huge scam

If you weren't on campus/in the airport the price/quality ratio would be radically different.

• Options

oh for sure. what you paid for the dorms was also way higher than if you were to rent an apartment.

If I remember right, room and board was somewhere around $8000 a year (well, 8-9 months).

I moved into an apartment after my freshman year and could rent a decent-for-a-college-student apartment for ~$4000 for 12 months.

But I would say a large chunk of college students would rather have cafeteria food on campus than cook their own meals at off campus housing. And when you throw in an all you can eat cafeteria that you could post up for the entire day and only pay $5.50 for the entire day's worth of meals during midterms/finals, that makes the choice for some easier. I know a few people that even kept the campus food plan after moving off campus so they wouldn't have to go home to cook/eat.

This discussion has been closed.