As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Get in the car, loser [chat], we're going on a Shadowrun!

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I enjoy a good trash talker. Obviously if they just yell gross homophobic stuff or whatever then they can eat shit but a well aimed insult is a joy.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

Now those are what right wing Youtube thumbnails look like

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Decker/Hacker - I'm a fuckin' nerd.
    Aioua wrote: »
    They did the same comic 12 years ago:

528499984_smvzj-L-2.jpg

Though in that one they actually do abuse the CSR.

So you know, that's progress.

10 bucks says they've got their shit hooked up to their WRT54 with Wireless B and are wondering why they're getting 15-20 Mb.

Or they're getting 27.5.

Same people, same shit.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    seriously we're going to get angry at a comic about asshole CSRs who don't give a fuck?

everyone is bright and pure and wishes to help you out but the Evil Corporate Overlords demand they put you through hours of bullshit runaround and then hang up. They're weeping silent tears of remorse as they transfer you yet again to a department that's already hung up on your four times.

How dare someone impugn their pristine integrity.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    seriously we're going to get angry at a comic about asshole CSRs who don't give a fuck?

everyone is bright and pure and wishes to help you out but the Evil Corporate Overlords demand they put you through hours of bullshit runaround and then hang up. They're weeping silent tears of remorse as they transfer you yet again to a department that's already hung up on your four times.

They sound like the people who claimed they got banned from XBOX Live for no reason.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

528499984_smvzj-L-2.jpg

10 bucks says they've got their shit hooked up to their WRT54 with Wireless B and are wondering why they're getting 15-20 Mb.

Or they're getting 27.5.

Same people, same shit.

dude it's comcast

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

this is definitely an issue where my level of care suggests to me i shouldn't wade in where other people are appearing to care quite a bit

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options

528499984_smvzj-L-2.jpg

Or they're getting 27.5.

Same people, same shit.

dude it's comcast

The person who answers the phone is not Mr. Comcast.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular

I mean, as long as we're clear that line workers deserve the abuse, I guess.

• Options

528499984_smvzj-L-2.jpg

Or they're getting 27.5.

Same people, same shit.

dude it's comcast

no but the idea that clearly they're making up their internet issues is really weird because again, it's fucking comcast

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    do we excuse people working for Comcast who are "just following orders" i mean

• Options

They sound like the people who claimed they got banned from XBOX Live for no reason.

They sound like everyone who's called the help line 20 times and been transferred somewhere different each time.
    Yesterday somebody told me to go to a library in the middle of a global pandemic to fax them a copy of Bel's driver's license so they could reissue her a debit card. Her license is on file with them and it's valid but they still want it before they'll send one out.
    My card is already in the mail, and my DL on file with them is expired, and they don't want a copy of my new one, they're all good.

I'm sure the pour soul who told me this was Just Doing His Job but he also did exactly fuck-all to explain this nonsense, nevermind try and fix it, and had no solution but "die for your plastic token" as a suggestion.

• Options

528499984_smvzj-L-2.jpg

Or they're getting 27.5.

Same people, same shit.

dude it's comcast

no but the idea that clearly they're making up their internet issues is really weird because again, it's fucking comcast

No, it's because the vast majority of people don't understand how it works.

If you plug in a wireless router and don't have bandwidth limits, you just cut your speed in half. Most do not know this and will call in saying they're being cheated out of what they're paying before even wondering if there may be an issue.

They've very much come across as the self assured, tech-literate-about-something-else-so-they-think-they-know-networking angry asshole I have to deal with on a fairly regular basis.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    my other brother definitely also kept starting new baseball games with his friend and not letting me have my turn

oh he saiiiid they were still on the same game but I'm onto you, NIEL

Classic older bro behavior

Mine would wait until 5 minutes before his turn on the computer ended and then start a new game of ladder Starcraft, then declare he couldn’t quit because it would affect his record

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Comcast largely gives me the speeds I pay for and their reliability is good too. My problems with them are:
    1. Data caps
    2. Ever increasing prices (now over $100/mo) with no service upgrades
    3. Sales people cold calling me, claiming it's a technical call, and then lying to me to get me to pay more

On #3, they call me up all the time and try to get me to rent a modem by lying to me and saying that my BYO hardware is "old", "incompatible", and "isn't getting me the fastest speeds", of which none of that is true. It's a relatively new DOCSIS 3.1 modem straight off their (grudgingly assembled) compatibility list with enough channels to get full speed, and benchmarks that show I get proper 300/25 service.

Thy then usually pivot to telling me I am not protected against viruses and so I need their special router and also get triple play, which is around where I say "thank you" over their sales pitch and hang up.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options

528499984_smvzj-L-2.jpg

Or they're getting 27.5.

Same people, same shit.

dude it's comcast

No, it's because the vast majority of people don't understand how it works.

If you plug in a wireless router and don't have bandwidth limits, you just cut your speed in half. Most do not know this and will call in saying they're being cheated out of what they're paying before even wondering if there may be an issue.

They've very much come across as the self assured, tech-literate-about-something-else-so-they-think-they-know-networking angry asshole I have to deal with on a fairly regular basis.

Mike's pretty much admitted he doesn't bother educating himself before mouthing off, he's very much like multiple people I've dealt with.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    you're right
    comcast would never lie about their ability to deliver bandwidth and then fall back on weasley language in their contacts

they guys just don't know what wifi is

man I did helpdesk shit for years I know what asshole users are

Aioua on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Street Samurai - Bushido. Honor. Claws in my wrists, monofilament katana in my fists. I'm a weeb who studied the blade.
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    oh wow i never noticed that

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »

Perhaps it's the case that some people are good and some are not, and sometimes the person on the phone giving you the runaround is doing his job, and sometimes he just doesn't give a flying fuck.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Is it lying if they don't know that what they're saying isn't true?

• Options
    Comcast largely gives me the speeds I pay for and their reliability is good too. My problems with them are:
    1. Data caps
    3. Sales people cold calling me, claiming it's a technical call, and then lying to me to get me to pay more

On #3, they call me up all the time and try to get me to rent a modem by lying to me and saying that my BYO hardware is "old", "incompatible", and "isn't getting me the fastest speeds", of which none of that is true. It's a relatively new DOCSIS 3.1 modem straight off their (grudgingly assembled) compatibility list with enough channels to get full speed, and benchmarks that show I get proper 300/25 service.

Thy then usually pivot to telling me I am not protected against viruses and so I need their special router and also get triple play, which is around where I say "thank you" over their sales pitch and hang up.

See if they have a no-call list. Time Warner would do this shit to me all the time, but I think they're legally supposed to maintain a list of customers who do not want cold calls.

There's also no-mail lists.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Shaman - I like swinging dead rats over my head while chanting appropriated Native American words.
    Actually it’s banned from XBOX Network, they just rebranded it

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    oh no

the juice from these cherries is leaking out of my springform pan

I wonder if this will fuck up the whole recipe

top of my cake lookin sad af

51074424927_d5781e4e56.jpg

look at that naked sponge T_T

• Options
    and in 2009 they definitely were overselling their service
    bandwidth would drop like a stone during peak netflix hours

• Options
    oh no

i'm sorry you failed i can dispose of that for you if you'd like

• Options
    oh no

tastes great, but the presentation... tut tut skippy, you can't expect to get through to the next round like this

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Is it lying if they don't know that what they're saying isn't true?

No doubt comcast's legal department has issued countless memos on this subject, deliberately making sure sales doesn't have access to any technical information

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »

Perhaps it's the case that some people are good and some are not, and sometimes the person on the phone giving you the runaround is doing his job, and sometimes he just doesn't give a flying fuck.

Sure. Some are good and some are not.

So in the comic in question, the 'demon' isn't shown doing anything bad, in fact, they could be very much trying to help Tycho, but, nope, they work in a call center, so, demon.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Troll - It doesn't matter what archetype you have, you're a Troll, and therefore you're the meatshield and human forklift.
    1. Data caps

At least here in the larger Seattle area, I have never once gotten anywhere near the speed of internet I or my family have paid for. This has been a thing since something near 2005, from my own experience. My wife and I semi-argue about it at least once two or three times a year about it, because she wants to change us to a cheaper internet plan since we aren't getting the amount of internet we pay for, but we already have relatively slow internet, and I don't want it getting slower because we suddenly started paying less, even though we are getting speeds that would be covered in the next lower price bracket.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    How embarrassing for you skippy

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

They sound like everyone who's called the help line 20 times and been transferred somewhere different each time.
    Yesterday somebody told me to go to a library in the middle of a global pandemic to fax them a copy of Bel's driver's license so they could reissue her a debit card. Her license is on file with them and it's valid but they still want it before they'll send one out.
    My card is already in the mail, and my DL on file with them is expired, and they don't want a copy of my new one, they're all good.

I'm sure the pour soul who told me this was Just Doing His Job but he also did exactly fuck-all to explain this nonsense, nevermind try and fix it, and had no solution but "die for your plastic token" as a suggestion.

Spool man I feel like you've got some other stuff going on right now and we can talk about that if you want.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    To recap:
    • ISPs are satan, give them no quarter
    • CSRs are paid shit and don't deserve abuse
    • CSRs do not, generally, do their jobs well at all and do not care beyond metrics and gaming thereof
    • Customers do not, generally, have any idea what in the fuck they are talking about
    • When either customers or CSRs vent we probably shouldn't keelhaul them because both are having a bad time

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Adept - I punch things, but with MAGIC fists!

528499984_smvzj-L-2.jpg

Or they're getting 27.5.

Same people, same shit.

dude it's comcast

I worked customer service for 20+ years in customer facing roles but ISP customer service when it comes to outages ranges from bad on the off chance they have actual competition in the area to fucking terrible when they don't.

And while I understand that the agents don't have a say in that if all they can do is tell customers "Yup, it sure is down" then that is shit customer service. Is that on the agent? No, of course not! It's not the agents fault that the company is shit. But from the customer's perspective it's still shit customer service.

• Options
    1. Data caps

See if they have a no-call list. Time Warner would do this shit to me all the time, but I think they're legally supposed to maintain a list of customers who do not want cold calls.

There's also no-mail lists.

I'm on the no-mail list and that's been great, I could sign up for that online. No-call seems to stick for about a month and then they start calling again. Thier trick seems to be that it's not a "sales call" but a "technical bulletin" that just so happens to be delivered by a sales person, from which you cannot unsubscribe.

I tried giving them a fake phone number but they caught on and reverted the change on my account.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Other - Look, we don't have a class-based system here, so everyone has some weird special snowflake build designed to maximize Shurikens or some shit like that.
    So as usual, I have more money than sense.

I have a set of Jaybird X3's. I'm getting new memory foam ear tips for them ahead of my trip.

I am debating if I want to buy a set of Bose noise cancelling headphones.
    - I don't travel a TON, but I'd like to change that.
    - I just picked up Fuser, which I plan on playing on my trip a decent amount. I'm worried about Bluetooth lag to my PC.
    - I also want something with a ton of power....

So.. yeah. Do I buy the $300 noise cancelling headphones that I'm not sure if I need?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    How embarrassing for you skippy

I just bought a different pan to try again, it'll be here tomorrow 😤

• Options

528499984_smvzj-L-2.jpg

Or they're getting 27.5.

Same people, same shit.

dude it's comcast

I worked customer service for 20+ years in customer facing roles but ISP customer service when it comes to outages ranges from bad on the off chance they have actual competition in the area to fucking terrible when they don't.

And while I understand that the agents don't have a say in that if all they can do is tell customers "Yup, it sure is down" then that is shit customer service. Is that on the agent? No, of course not! It's not the agents fault that the company is shit. But from the customer's perspective it's still shit customer service.

In my experience, it doesn't really matter.

Sometimes outages were caused by someone digging up a cable. Those outages can last a whole day for the affected area. We would do our best to manage customer expectations by saying why it was down, and that crews were actively working on it, and we expected it to be another x hours before service restoration.

Sometimes outages were caused by fuckups in the company that were more nebulous and fix times were completely unknown. So at that point it was boilerplate, "We're working as fast as we can to restore service, but at this time we do not have an estimated time to complete the repair."

The customer reaction, and the way we were dragged on Facebook, not the company, but the people working the phones were dragged, was exactly the same. Our effort was meaningless.

The thing is, most people are good and understanding if you're straight with them. Some people are just assholes.

I had a lot of people call my employer back to compliment me on how well I treated them and that they were very happy with the answers I gave! Those people are very sweet!

I had a lot of people call my employer back to complain that I was stupid and wrong and rude because I couldn't turn their internet back on the moment they called. Those people were assholes!

And I'm going to bitch about that second group, of which Mike and Jerry seem to be firmly planting themselves at this moment.

• Options
    I would love an ISP that you call and say "my internet is out" and they ping your modem, which responds and says it has good signal to noise with 8 downlink, 2 uplink channels, and the ISP says "lol no it isn't sort out your shit" and then they hang up.

We don't expect the power company to fix our appliances. Stop expecting ISPs to know any fucking thing about your computers. It's most of why their support is dogshit. They've got too much ground to cover and their time is endlessly wasted by morons who can't work a router.

This discussion has been closed.