As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Get in the car, loser [chat], we're going on a Shadowrun!

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    I would love an ISP that you call and say "my internet is out" and they ping your modem, which responds and says it has good signal to noise with 8 downlink, 2 uplink channels, and the ISP says "lol no it isn't sort out your shit" and then they hang up.

We don't expect the power company to fix our appliances. Stop expecting ISPs to know any fucking thing about your computers. It's most of why their support is dogshit. They've got too much ground to cover and their time is endlessly wasted by morons who can't work a router.

Difference is that ISPs provide the routers.

On my equipment, where I have my own router, that's one thing.

but if all the equipment is leased from the ISP, that's 100% their deal.

I know, which is my my ideal ISP is one that doesn't do that.

ISPs love the juicy fees that come with equipment rentals, but their equiptment and their service of it is generally so bad that nobody would willingly pay for it. It's like colleges that force students on to horrible meal plans. They only get away with it because of their monopoly position and captive customer base.

but also, all you can eat cafeteria as a college student with not a lot of extra money? yes please!

In college, our mealplans were more than double the cost of buying unlimited food at the grocery store. I know because my senior year, my housemates and I all took the fees that would normally go into a meal plan, put it in a shared checking account, and used that to buy groceries with absolutely no budgeting or voice of reason in any transaction.

Six boxes of novelty cereal? Yes. An ice cream cake? Yes. Giant steaks? Double yes. We ended the year with more than half the money left over and ate like careless lunatic trash kings.

Those meal plans are a HUGE scam.

i feel like this is like saying paying what restaurants charge is a huge scam

you did all the procurement and work yourself

that costs something

I mean kind of. I love going to the store and recklessly buying a collection of dumb items. It is itself a fun activity so that was not a cost but a benefit for me. And then when it came to prep, we were 4 college aged males. We bought a lot of prepared foods that were very similar to what was being put out in the dining halls, only instead of not getting to choose, we got to pick all our favorites and they were always hot, which was a fair tradeoff I thought.

So the procurement and prep costs sort of canceled out for me before even taking into account the cost difference, but I could see it working out differently for other people.

I honestly think you could probably order out every single meal and still come in under budget though.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Decker/Hacker - I'm a fuckin' nerd.
    Integrated gateways are also bad, as far as I've heard and experienced

Buying a good router made a really big difference

Fuck I just bought a $30 4 port switch and it's far better than a wireless router as a main gateway. I have a wireless router on one of my ports, limited to 40 MBps, so I can use wifi on my phone but not absolutely destroy my bandwidth on my desktop.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    I would love an ISP that you call and say "my internet is out" and they ping your modem, which responds and says it has good signal to noise with 8 downlink, 2 uplink channels, and the ISP says "lol no it isn't sort out your shit" and then they hang up.

We don't expect the power company to fix our appliances. Stop expecting ISPs to know any fucking thing about your computers. It's most of why their support is dogshit. They've got too much ground to cover and their time is endlessly wasted by morons who can't work a router.

ISPs love the juicy fees that come with equipment rentals, but their equiptment and their service of it is generally so bad that nobody would willingly pay for it. It's like colleges that force students on to horrible meal plans. They only get away with it because of their monopoly position and captive customer base.

but also, all you can eat cafeteria as a college student with not a lot of extra money? yes please!

In college, our mealplans were more than double the cost of buying unlimited food at the grocery store. I know because my senior year, my housemates and I all took the fees that would normally go into a meal plan, put it in a shared checking account, and used that to buy groceries with absolutely no budgeting or voice of reason in any transaction.

Six boxes of novelty cereal? Yes. An ice cream cake? Yes. Giant steaks? Double yes. We ended the year with more than half the money left over and ate like careless lunatic trash kings.

that costs something

It's more like airport restaurants being a huge scam

If you weren't on campus/in the airport the price/quality ratio would be radically different.

i guess "HUGE scam" just isn't the way i see it when things are slightly overpriced because they're convenient

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    dorms are weird

it's a weird concept

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Face - I'm the only one in the team who put points into Etiquette?
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    dorms are weird

it's a weird concept

Houses are weird.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

that costs something

I mean kind of. I love going to the store and recklessly buying a collection of dumb items. It is itself a fun activity so that was not a cost but a benefit for me. And then when it came to prep, we were 4 college aged males. We bought a lot of prepared foods that were very similar to what was being put out in the dining halls, only instead of not getting to choose, we got to pick all our favorites and they were always hot, which was a fair tradeoff I thought.

So the procurement and prep costs sort of canceled out for me before even taking into account the cost difference, but I could see it working out differently for other people.

I honestly think you could probably order out every single meal and still come in under budget though.

i mean i'm definitely not claiming it's a good deal

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Troll - It doesn't matter what archetype you have, you're a Troll, and therefore you're the meatshield and human forklift.

Fuck I just bought a $30 4 port switch and it's far better than a wireless router as a main gateway. I have a wireless router on one of my ports, limited to 40 MBps, so I can use wifi on my phone but not absolutely destroy my bandwidth on my desktop.

Posts like this are where I feel like I live in some sort of weird black hole of technology. I'm lucky if I get 3MBps, over ethernet, at my place.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    My dining hall was basically a Sizzler.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

Posts like this are where I feel like I live in some sort of weird black hole of technology. I'm lucky if I get 3MBps, over ethernet, at my place.

I meant 40 mbps

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Out of business?

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    i feel like this is one of those topics of conversations where we find out americans have some weird exploitative system that seems normal to them while people in developed countries look on in horror and confusion

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Out of business?

I went to college a long, long, long, long, long time ago.

• Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    Ork Investigator - Wait what? Get out of here. WTF?

*sweats in 80MB/s*

is that what happens when you've got at least 3 internet service providers in one area?

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    No see you pay an exorbitant amount and receive little in return but it works because

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Hermetic Mage - I'm Harry Potter with a midlife crisis and a gnarled wand.

that costs something

If you weren't on campus/in the airport the price/quality ratio would be radically different.

i guess "HUGE scam" just isn't the way i see it when things are slightly overpriced because they're convenient

I was just saying that the cost of your meal plan / airport sandwich isn't just covering ingredients and labor. The airport charges insane rents for the food vendors because they know that the vendors can recoup them, because people are trapped waiting for their flights. I don't know the exact subcontracting model the schools use with their dining halls, but I presume its similar.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    i feel like this is one of those topics of conversations where we find out americans have some weird exploitative system that seems normal to them while people in developed countries look on in horror and confusion

some colleges straight up force you to live in their dorms when you're a freshman/sophomore

like, it is required if you want to take classes

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options

that costs something

I was just saying that the cost of your meal plan / airport sandwich isn't just covering ingredients and labor. The airport charges insane rents for the food vendors because they know that the vendors can recoup them, because people are trapped waiting for their flights. I don't know the exact subcontracting model the schools use with their dining halls, but I presume its similar.

does sodexo run the dining halls or do they just provide the ingredients?

• Options
    Aioua wrote: »

some colleges straight up force you to live in their dorms when you're a freshman/sophomore

some of that is also pushback from the whatever town the college is in. a lot of residents don't want college students living around them. which, having been a college student, fair.

• Options
    I enjoyed the dorms. Sure beat living in my parents' garage in the woods 45 minutes away.

• Options

the american college experience seems rather odd. Dorms and meal plans and what not, is kind of a crazy concept, when what I know is that students live in apartments like regular people, just worse ones and eat food like regular people, just worse food

it was only slowly that I realized that american colleges are boarding schools but for adults

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Troll - It doesn't matter what archetype you have, you're a Troll, and therefore you're the meatshield and human forklift.

I meant 40 mbps

I'm not sure what the difference is? I think technically we are paying for somewhere around 70 mbps (or MBps, idk), which is the tier down from 2 gb or w/e, but I've never even seen a tenth of that while actually using it for something other than a speed test.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    edited March 2021
    although, going off of the amount of international students that live in the big sad student apartment buildings on fantoft, which you shouldn't do because it's near nowhere and architecturally it is distilled 60s sadness, I wonder if our system of housing students is maybe not all that easily understood from the outside either

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Adept - I punch things, but with MAGIC fists!
    spool32 wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    "You did your best" and "your did great" to someone you crushed is probably the best trash talk

LoL: I was getting wrecked in lane, not that I was playing badly but I was just purely outclassed for 10 solid minutes. Finally two teammates came up top and we attempted to 3v1 dunk this Diana...

we all died. Moments later in all chat Diana just goes "Send 5."

I don't think I've raged harder at a game in my life :)

From the sounds of it that's not even trash talk. More along the lines of helpful advice :P

• Options

I meant 40 mbps

I'm not sure what the difference is? I think technically we are paying for somewhere around 70 mbps (or MBps, idk), which is the tier down from 2 gb or w/e, but I've never even seen a tenth of that while actually using it for something other than a speed test.

3 MBps is 24 mbps (Mega Byte vs Mega Bit)

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Hi I am posting from our newly constructed hammock!!!!

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

the american college experience seems rather odd. Dorms and meal plans and what not, is kind of a crazy concept, when what I know is that students live in apartments like regular people, just worse ones and eat food like regular people, just worse food

it was only slowly that I realized that american colleges are boarding schools but for adults

there's a part where it kinda makes sense for state colleges, like back when they were subsidized by the government and run like a public service and not a business... like a bunch are in little towns all by themselves where the infra to support a bunch of students doesn't really exist

make less sense for a college in the middle of a big city with plenty of housing/transit/etc

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Shaman - I like swinging dead rats over my head while chanting appropriated Native American words.
    As colleges get smaller, more of the finances of the college are wrapped up in housing (and this is also true of many large schools as well)

Hence why everyone lost their minds during COVID and so many colleges pushed to get students back into dorms as soon as possible, against advisement, leading to outbreaks

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Hi I am posting from our newly constructed hammock!!!!

We just bought a Costco folding one!

• Options

I meant 40 mbps

3 MBps is 24 mbps (Mega Byte vs Mega Bit)

Oh, well maybe its slightly less bad than I have thought for the longest time. Although now I'm just mad about using ridiculously similar acronyms for vastly different numbers.

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular

that costs something

does sodexo run the dining halls or do they just provide the ingredients?

Sodexo is the worst, i hate them

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Rigger - Vroom vroom go BOOM BOOM!

My college made you live on campus and have the meal plan all 4 years (very few dorms had kitchens). <1% of the student body applied for permission to live off campus and there was a convoluted process to do so.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Blossom is chuffed to have a whole new bed to hang out in

l7qbc4r9ku2u.jpeg

• Options
    Echo wrote: »

Maybe it could be for a good thing some day.

Like "ship delivers tons of drugs to drug-scarce area"

• Options

there's a part where it kinda makes sense for state colleges, like back when they were subsidized by the government and run like a public service and not a business... like a bunch are in little towns all by themselves where the infra to support a bunch of students doesn't really exist

make less sense for a college in the middle of a big city with plenty of housing/transit/etc

it's still weird because like, we got the same problem, a lot of institutions are in tiiiiiiny places for reasons, but student housing here is just, well, apartment buildings purpose built for students, by the student welfare organization usually

and apart from not being on the private market, ie, you need to be a student to rent one, they're just like any other apartment, practically speaking

(and it's kind of easier in the smaller places because in cities slapping up an apartment block is more of a problem since, well, there's city there already, usually)

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Echo wrote: »

Why is the status In service? It's stuck!

• Options
    Why is it called ever given when it says ever green on the side

Is that because it’s full of killary Clinton’s blood slaves?

• Options
    Why is it called ever given when it says ever green on the side

Is that because it’s full of killary Clinton’s blood slaves?

Evergreen is the name of the company

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Street Samurai - Bushido. Honor. Claws in my wrists, monofilament katana in my fists. I'm a weeb who studied the blade.
    evergreen is the name of the doctor, not the ship

This discussion has been closed.