As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Queer] thread: A Gay ‘Ol Time

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Recently I stumbled upon this video:
    https://youtu.be/koud7hgGyQ8

Then I saw the video before that, which is about Ignorance and Censorship:
    https://youtu.be/ATITdJg7bWI

And then I watched this one (Identity - A Trans Coming Out Story):
    https://youtu.be/AITRzvm0Xtg

This last one made me feel very quiet, it was the first time that I watched a video where I could barely breathe, because it explained so well what a lot of people in this thread have been/are going through.

Then I googled her name (Abigail Thorn), and the video in this article actually made me cry:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-56606897

All I wanted was just to share these videos to you all.

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Yeah she’s real smart and from my area, so I like to live vicariously through her intelligence.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    My FFS is on Thursday and I have kinda been freaking out all weekend.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I am of the opinion that freaking out about upcoming surgery is an entirely sane thing to do.

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    edited July 2021

All I wanted was just to share these videos to you all.

Yeah I just discovered Philosophy Tube a couple of months ago, and honestly she's amazing.

The recent one on social constructs is interesting, entertaining, and informative like all of the videos of her I've seen but also managed to induce some very powerful "I'm gay"/BISEXUAL PANIC moments in me while watching.

Apocalyptus on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I painted my nails for the first time yesterday

I did an extremely bad job! I'm very excited to try again

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Yeah Abigail Thorn is fascinating and very capable, and her videos over the past year or so are superb. There's another one that I'd recommend as well, where Abigail (pre coming out as trans) came out as gay, and it really hit home very hard.

I was actually sort of amused, because I'd seen some Philosophy Tube videos recommended to me on youtube before but I never watched them because they looked like yet another youtube channel of a white dude with a beard talking at the screen about stuff. But then earlier this year I saw one where the presenter was clean shaven and I thought "oh huh, they're kinda cute.!" realised maybe I shouldn't have judged a book by its cover and watched the video and loved it, and watched some more including the one about queer stuff. Then barely a week later she came out as trans, haha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hi6j2UXEZM

• Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    Her voice is amazing.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Ughh fuck gender thoughts. That is all I feel comfortable sharing right now, but do want to shout that out from my head so its not echoing around.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I painted my nails for the first time yesterday

I did an extremely bad job! I'm very excited to try again

just to expound on this, I thought I did...okay. so I sent a photo to a couple friends who know about stuff like this and was like 'okay go ahead an roast me for my nails lol' thinking they'd be polite and be like 'oh no you did so good for your first time!' but I forgot that I'm mainly friends with brutally honest people so instead they pulled zero punches, completely murdered me. 'oh honey, no' was definitely said unironically

which was good! after highlighting my incredibly sloppy application they walked me through the basics, and tomorrow I'll have everything I need (I think) to make a proper go of it. undercoat, topcoat, proper technique, the works

even in their shit state, i fucking love having painted nails

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Poketpixie wrote: »
    Her voice is amazing.

It gives me really bad voice dysphoria!

Which is a weird experience. Not her fault at all her content is too notch.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    I am of the opinion that freaking out about upcoming surgery is an entirely sane thing to do.

This is probably why I don’t have freak outs until I am at the lowest point of recovery and I am asking “Why did I do this to myself!?”. That passes pretty quickly, but I never know how to answer the “are you getting excited?” question.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    Update: this whole 'carefully apply base coat, wait for base coat to dry, now carefully apply color, wait for that to dry, now carefully apply top coat, wait for that to dry' thing?

it fucking sucks! lord help me if I decide to start wearing makeup

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Update: this whole 'carefully apply base coat, wait for base coat to dry, now carefully apply color, wait for that to dry, now carefully apply top coat, wait for that to dry' thing?

Yea, it's a commitment.. but I still like doing it.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    It's been a while since I've worn eye shadow. I should get on that.

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular

Makeup, although more complex, is (generally) much less of a time investiture than nail painting.

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular

Is that how you're supposed to do it? I just clean my nails, apply the cheap insta-dry brand of whatever colour I want, and then apply a clear-coat once the colour is dried. Does it at least last super long if you do a base coat first?

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    I was getting into my workout clothes for a run and wandered if my hair was long enough yet to pull into a ponytail, and it is, and apparently that is how I turn on the sexy filter.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i only have experience painting my nails with regular polishes but those gel polishes you use with a uv lamp are supposed to be pretty expedient

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    Good luck with the surgery @Seidkona <3

Glad to see other Abigail Thorn fans here : ) : )
    I want Abigail as the next PM

Nail polish - the gel ones work OK in my experience, glad to hear you’re enjoying experimenting Houk the Namebringer : )

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Hey, folks. I find myself in need of an assist.

My (minor) cousin somewhat recently came out as lesbian to a friend of hers, who proceeded to spread it all around her school. This resulted in a great deal of bullying and exclusionary behavior from her previous friends.

Last night, she unsuccessfully tried to take her own life.

She's stable now and will be physically fine. I am looking to pass along any recommended resources for, like, dealing with this particular strain of bullying. Like, I'm familiar with the Trevor Project, but I doubt they're the only game in town. Thanks in advance.

• Options
    PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    So sorry to hear what happened Elvenshae

Your cousin was so brave to come out and deserves better friends who will celebrate and support her instead of bully

I hear only good things about the Trevor project (a friend’s kid was in trouble because of some online troll and they helped, they’re available 24/7)

About the bullying - are there some things the school is doing to intervene?

Hoping maybe other forumers have different resources and ideas…

Big hugs to you and your cousin

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Had to see a doctor for a work-related accident (slipped and fell onto my tailbone trying to dislodge a pallet of packages with a pallet jack), and while I didn't give them a heads up at the front desk the nurse was very understanding about name and pronouns, and informed the doctor ahead of time. When she came in she asked about it briefly, then introduced herself with She/Her pronouns.

That gesture was very much appreciated, showing that she is an understanding person.

(My tailbone was fine, just sore for a few days so the worker's comp is basically giving me a four day weekend I suppose)

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Thank you for the notes and the hugs, PQ!
    About the bullying - are there some things the school is doing to intervene?

I literally have no idea, unfortunately, but it's a good question to ask in the coming days. Due to distance, I'm at a couple of removes from the immediate situation, and I'm honestly grasping at straws to find something to do to help.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Hey, folks. I find myself in need of an assist.

My (minor) cousin somewhat recently came out as lesbian to a friend of hers, who proceeded to spread it all around her school. This resulted in a great deal of bullying and exclusionary behavior from her previous friends.

Last night, she unsuccessfully tried to take her own life.

She's stable now and will be physically fine. I am looking to pass along any recommended resources for, like, dealing with this particular strain of bullying. Like, I'm familiar with the Trevor Project, but I doubt they're the only game in town. Thanks in advance.

Not QUILTBAG or teen exclusive, but I have heard a ton of positive things about the crisis text line. 741741 for US and Canada. Depending on the city/state there might be some local groups that can help as well. I don't have a ton of knowledge outside of the New Orleans area so if that happens to be helpful I will gladly share it (via PM or post as you prefer). A Google search for it might get you some hits as well if you haven't tried.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Yesterday, i was in a call with a coworker and for some reason i got echo of my own voice.

I don't like my voice. I think it's too deep, and too masculine... but what i heard i actually liked more, it sounded more.... idk, higher pitched and androgynous than i expected. I guess?

I'm rethinking on that and yeah.... my voice is good from outside.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Yea the worst place to listen to your own voice is inside your own head, it always sounds deeper. Always good to take some recordings and rate from those rather than from what you hear from inside.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    it's funny, because I used to hate hearing my voice played back specifically because it sounded higher and less masculine than I thought it should

and then the other week I was reviewing a training recording I did before posting it and was like... "actually this isn't so bad???"

it's possible there may have been some insufficiently examined feelings behind my previous thoughts re: my voice :rotate:

• Options
    I know we've had a few name changes in the thread as we find ourselves. I think it used to be messaging tube directly, right? With tube retired, who do we contact?

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    DJ Eebs is the one in charge of that now

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    Yea the worst place to listen to your own voice is inside your own head, it always sounds deeper. Always good to take some recordings and rate from those rather than from what you hear from inside.

Obviously depends if you prefer it deeper or not. I always cringed when I heard recordings of myself.

• Options
    We've had a bunch of outside contractors in at work all week an I'm pretty sure I caught a small non-covid bug or maybe just it's an air quality issue, my my throat is all grumpy so my voice is extra deep and gravely right now and yeah I hate it.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    do you have fire smoke there right now? smoke fucks with my throat something fierce.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Don't think so, all the smoke went east.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    it's funny, because I used to hate hearing my voice played back specifically because it sounded higher and less masculine than I thought it should

and then the other week I was reviewing a training recording I did before posting it and was like... "actually this isn't so bad???"

it's possible there may have been some insufficiently examined feelings behind my previous thoughts re: my voice :rotate:

Even as a cis male when I hear snippets of my own voice I cringe, but I forced myself to listen to a brown bag presentation I did and when I could listen to it for longer periods of time without focusing entirely on how it was different from what I heard in my head I could appreciate it in that context.

• Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Had to listen to a ~10min recording of myself recently and once I'd gotten past the first minute it was actually quite pleasant.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I hate hearing my voice from the outside. It's always higher-pitched and less resonant than the voice I hear when I'm speaking, and it's always saying things like "Shoot him, not me!" and "I'm the real one, he's the clone!" and "It's me, ask me anything!"

Just a total bummer all around.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DJ Eebs is the one in charge of that now

Thank you so much ❤️

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I pitch my voice up a lot, if I'm feeling uncomfortable or particularly comfortable around new people. I think it's because I always want to come off very... gentle? so I kinda talk like a kid.

edit: my Stern Grown Up voice, that deep from the diaphragm voice, is good tho. Guaranteed to keep any little kid in my charge from doing anything too dangerous or stupid.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I was reading a comment chain on something, I think it was people joking about the heat from fire, fire from heat mantra and that introduced me to the transvoicelessons YouTube and I watched the first video in the playlist like an absolute intro for beginners and it had a timeline of the teacher's voice from before their own transition to 5 years later and it actually blew my mind.

Even some of the midstages where "this sounds like garbage I made no progress in 8 months" had me like "but that sounded worlds different and way more relaxed!"

Then I had a moment of "I don't want to change my voice I just have always hated hearing my voic- waaaiiittt a minute."

I assume someone has already made the SpongeBob revealing all the trash meme with "but there were no signs" so imagine it in this spot