As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

10th Edition is Go! [40k]

• Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    I wish there was an option other than Battlescribe, since the sole developer did that whole, "I'm going to disappear for more than a year and just rake in the money from donations and ignore the community asking for important fixes, to the point that people fear I have died.... but then reappear once the community starts working on their own program because they are sick of it" thing.

THAT ASIDE....My Bloodthirster will be here tomorrow and a second Daemons combat patrol box on Thursday.... I guess I'm a Khorne player now

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »
    So what’s the votanns relationship with the imperium, and vice versa? Like how do they view each other?

seems like they're presently akin to the early Tau in terms of that lore - they take up such a specific and difficult to access corner of space that the Imperium had made occasional contact but usually only among Rogue Traders, and usually the Kin of the Votann have been clever in raiding or mining only opportunistic Imperial targets.

The Imperium did know about them but the Tyranids smacked them so hard that they assumed they were gone (a now-canonized play on the old "Tyranids ate teh Squats" meme). The Galactic core of 40k has so many brutal physics things going on that the only factions having a great time getting into Votann space are the Orks, 'Nids, and Chaos. The Votann have also reached out of the Core opportunistically for their own "Rogue" trading, hence why relatives of the Kin appear on Necromunda and why they've have trade relations with the Tau

Also some Kin will fight as mercenaries for the Imperium and get away with it because some in the Imperium think Kin are just abhumans like Rattlings, which, I mean they kinda are. Just crazy clone bred and way high teched.

My only issue with Leagues of Votann is they just seem like all around okay group of people. Like they are stubborn and are only looking out for their own people, but there isn't that, "well actually they are all badguys," that you get with the other factions. Even the fact that they are clones is positive to them with individuality and families being a big deal and treating the robots as full members of society.

I keep waiting for the overt bad guy part to show up.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Tau got grimdarked a lot since they showed up so I think it's just a matter of time until something with the kin turns up. Probably hidden problems with the cloning or the Votann themselves bluescreening or something like that as the cause.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Aren't they hyper capitalists, who'll invade and strip mine entire planets?

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »

Yeah, but noone gives the Tyranids a hard time for that.....

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Nax wrote: »

Yeah, but noone gives the Tyranids a hard time for that.....

Sure but the Tyranids aren't going to strip your planet bare but then turn around and tell you it was really for your own good and you should just listen to your betters.

All the ‘nids want to do is eat you, and they are completely upfront about it. I can respect it even if i don't agree with it. You don't have to worry about them pretending to be your friend then stabbing you in the back.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    So what’s the votanns relationship with the imperium, and vice versa? Like how do they view each other?

seems like they're presently akin to the early Tau in terms of that lore - they take up such a specific and difficult to access corner of space that the Imperium had made occasional contact but usually only among Rogue Traders, and usually the Kin of the Votann have been clever in raiding or mining only opportunistic Imperial targets.

The Imperium did know about them but the Tyranids smacked them so hard that they assumed they were gone (a now-canonized play on the old "Tyranids ate teh Squats" meme). The Galactic core of 40k has so many brutal physics things going on that the only factions having a great time getting into Votann space are the Orks, 'Nids, and Chaos. The Votann have also reached out of the Core opportunistically for their own "Rogue" trading, hence why relatives of the Kin appear on Necromunda and why they've have trade relations with the Tau

Also some Kin will fight as mercenaries for the Imperium and get away with it because some in the Imperium think Kin are just abhumans like Rattlings, which, I mean they kinda are. Just crazy clone bred and way high teched.

My only issue with Leagues of Votann is they just seem like all around okay group of people. Like they are stubborn and are only looking out for their own people, but there isn't that, "well actually they are all badguys," that you get with the other factions. Even the fact that they are clones is positive to them with individuality and families being a big deal and treating the robots as full members of society.

I have some theories that the Votann actually unleashed the Tyranid by trying to harvest some Old One laboratory /prison world in the Core.

Also the whole angle of them strip mining planets of any and all valuable materials, like the Spaceballs stealing Druidias air.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Looks like im going Votann over Tau for my army. The local store has one of the beginner boxes in stock.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Would an imperial ship without navigators just be stuck or reduced to limited or random travel?

How many crew members would a freighter have?

travel would be complete guesswork

also ships in 40k have absolutely absurd crew numbers, we're talking 10s of thousands

Freighters probably don't have quite that many as they don't need teams of hundreds to manually load cannons the size of apartment buildings, etc

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

I have some theories that the Votann actually unleashed the Tyranid by trying to harvest some Old One laboratory /prison world in the Core.

Also the whole angle of them strip mining planets of any and all valuable materials, like the Spaceballs stealing Druidias air.

I was under the impression that it was Big E lighting the astronomicon up that rung the dinner bell for the Tyrranids.
    It just took them the better part of 10,000 years to get to our galaxy (because space is big).

But, it's 40k lore. What was true last edition was probably only part of the truth even then, and may be discarded or rewritten at any time. It might even still be true when it's false. Because 40k lore is like that sometimes.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Thanks to everyone for lore input on voidships :heart:

I think I'll have the cult on a heavy transport at ca 2 km length, with cultist navigators. Nominal crew of say 30k people? But a lot of former cargo space would have been converted to living quarters for more cultists.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    honovere wrote: »
    Just another small thing with the warp travel. Other psykers can sometimes fill in for a navigator in am emergency.

Eldar also have warp drives. But as they're all have juicy psyker souls that are extra attractive to daemons they can only do short jumps. For longer jumps, that's what the webway is for.

They are also the only species that can safely translate in and out of the warp inside a gravity well, which is either why or because they’re so good at gravity stuff too. Anyway the point is, those stories of Eldar ships just appearing in orbit of imperial worlds are not all “previously hidden webway gates” that somehow got missed with every other bit of orbital space occupied.

But yeah they don’t do it often and only when absolutely necessary because an Eldar ship using the warp is like a wounded antelope deciding to take a shortcut through a lion’s den to get to the watering hole.

I feel the eldar craftworld ships just crawl along in space. They use the webway to deploy forces and to visit the various worlds {like the maiden worlds the Biel Tan oversee]
    In the codex books other than Uthwe and Iyanden the rest have moved around a lot in the last 3 codex. Saim Hann was way out in various places on the right side of the map now most of them are around the eye of terror
    Alaitoc has been in the north then floating around the center now it's half way between the Sautekh Necrons and Iyanden

Oh yeah, they do. All of them are on free orbits around the galactic core, way out in deep space, too far for almost anyone else to get there. Like, they deliberately avoid stars because stars attract inhabitants. They used to be able to use the very largest webway passages, but as they’ve grown over the past few thousand years they just don’t fit anymore so they’re pretty much stuck on their courses. Well, stuck as a continent-sized starship with engines to match gets at least.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Woo picked up the Votann starter box. Time to get gluing.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I just realised the votann armour reminds me of StarCraft marines armour, which is super ironic

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    You will see a lot of Starcraft style Votann.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    You will see a lot of Starcraft style Votann.

IP ouroboros

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Its going to be StarCraft and deep rock galactic all the way down.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Those Lego themed paint schemes were pretty sweet looking too. Wouldn't be too surprised to see some of those hit the table.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    I was under the impression that it was Big E lighting the astronomicon up that rung the dinner bell for the Tyrranids.
    It just took them the better part of 10,000 years to get to our galaxy (because space is big).

But, it's 40k lore. What was true last edition was probably only part of the truth even then, and may be discarded or rewritten at any time. It might even still be true when it's false. Because 40k lore is like that sometimes.

The Emperor is psychically calling the Tyranids to Terra. As a perpetual he can be reborn to lead the Imperium once again and begin a new Great Crusade to retake the galaxy, but first He has to die. The problem is, the instant he dies, his psychic protection over the planet will fail and hundreds of thousands of warp portals will open all over Terra, pouring forth legions of demons in an invasion that they have been waiting for the the past 10,000 years.

The solution is to lure the Tyranids to Terra, allowing their Shadow in the Warp to be cast over the planet. Only then can the Emperor finally allow himself to die, and subsequently be immediately reborn without Terra being consumed by a demonic invasion. Then, in his reformed body, he can turn the tide of the Tyranid invasion and destroy them. He knows that billions of Imperial soldiers of all forms will perish to bring his plan to fruition, but in the long run it will be better for the species as a whole. The Imperium cannot continue in its current state, his return is the only event that could remove it from the spiral of death and decay that it is currently mired in.

This is the dark truth he relayed to Roboute Guilliman when they communicated. The time will come when he will be forced to decide between sending his legions of Ultramarines to die in a battle he knows will be fruitless, or to hold them back and have both himself and his entire chapter be declared Excommunicate Traitoris.

Source:
    my ass

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular

Nids are from another galaxy which they’ve most likely striped. The tendril fleets are like the very tips of what is some kind of huge mass that is likely to end this galaxy (if it weren’t for all the other galaxy ending things).

The lore also used to hint that Tyranids were running away from something (imagine that cosmic horror).

I don’t mind if The League (and T’au) aren’t as grim; it’s nice to have the contrast. Just likes it’s nice to have the contrast of Imperial Guard, just regular guys, up against the many things in the 40K universe (something AoS has lacked until most likely the Cities book).

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited September 2022

They will try to work with the races on the planet but obviously most/all groups in 40k are hyper xenophobic so this doesn’t work all the time and they just take the planet by force, which just makes them on the same level as everyone else.

That’s about as “bad” as they seem to get, which is like boy scout level for 40k.

They seem to desire wealth but only to better their own kin and species as a whole. There doesn’t seem to be like ultra rich and dirt poor or real social classes beyond actual skill level.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Amoral strip mining capitalists are also a kind of grimdark

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

It is (apparently) canonically the results of actions around the Pharos Beacon during the Horus Heresy.

The Pharos was build by the Necrons in the distant past. It was on the planet Sotha (in the Segmentum Ultima). During the Heresy, when the Ruinstorm cut off Terra and it was presumed that the Imperium had fallen, Guilliman used it to rally the loyalist forces for the Imperium Secundus. The Night Lords tried to take control of it, and the loyalist Iron Warriors Warsmith Barabas Dantioch was able to overload it and repel their attack. This action is what (allegedly) drew the Tyranids to our galaxy.

After the Heresy, Guilliman ordered the Pharos Beacon destroyed and eventually The Scythes of the Emperor chapter of Space Marines were put in control of Sotha.

• Options
    Just opened up my Votann box and wow, thats a lot of sprues. Its a little intimidating, not gonna lie.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I'm trying to decide what to call my own custom Votann League, lore-wise they're going to be based heavily on Agartha from Dominions, particularly Mid-age and Late-age Agartha (the Golem Cults and the Ktonian Dead) and I'm going to make the Kin themselves look like Dark Iron/Deurgar, but for the League's name I was thinking something like the Deneb Syndicate, the Deneb Alliance, or the Houses of Deneb.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I'm trying to decide what to call my own custom Votann League, lore-wise they're going to be based heavily on Agartha from Dominions, particularly Mid-age and Late-age Agartha (the Golem Cults and the Ktonian Dead) and I'm going to make the Kin themselves look like Dark Iron/Deurgar, but for the League's name I was thinking something like the Deneb Syndicate, the Deneb Alliance, or the Houses of Deneb.

Damn thats good lore right there. I'm theming mine based on the idea of "What if OSHA had teeth to inforce the rules". Using safety yellow as the primary army color, then deep rock galactic colors for the important units. I'd also like naming suggestions.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Just opened up my Votann box and wow, thats a lot of sprues. Its a little intimidating, not gonna lie.

4qqr6wug2x9e.png
    Is that it?

• Options
    RedHobbitRedHobbit Registered User regular
    Safety Yellow will be a good looking color for your Votann forces. Too bad yellow is such a pain to paint.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    How does a voidship deliver cargo to/from a planet? Do they land a 2 km long ship or do they use shuttles or teleporters or…?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    How does a voidship deliver cargo to/from a planet? Do they land a 2 km long ship or do they use shuttles or teleporters or…?

Cargo containers, I think.

In places like necromunda the ship can directly dock ad the top of Necromunda Prime. The spire of the city goes into orbit. On other places they'll dock with orbital space stations. Never actually land the ship on the planet as far as I can tell

• Options
    I have two of the Skyshield landing pads [one built one not} the built one was used as terrain in the paid in tourney as he was afraid someone would steal it or smash it he never painted it. It's caked in dust now.

Necromunda the current one in one of the books did talk about how like honovere said and how you could fight up in the ring or such where they unload as the gangs were sent to look for items. Oddly it was the only place that talked about that

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    RedHobbit wrote: »
    Safety Yellow will be a good looking color for your Votann forces. Too bad yellow is such a pain to paint.

*laughs in Imperial Fist

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    RedHobbitRedHobbit Registered User regular
    I love Imperial Fists but painting that much yellow would drive me insane, I'll settle for yellow accents on my Boyz and Nobz

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

Damn thats good lore right there. I'm theming mine based on the idea of "What if OSHA had teeth to inforce the rules". Using safety yellow as the primary army color, then deep rock galactic colors for the important units. I'd also like naming suggestions.

The Fire Diamonds

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    I love Imperial Fists but painting that much yellow would drive me insane, I'll settle for yellow accents on my Boyz and Nobz

Because I got 50 Mark VI armors I am making that my Imperial Fists Heresy era army with the 40? I have in Mark IV I don't know if I want to still do Fists with them but I am thinking of making them my night lords or traitor army? I do have the Praetor for the night lords I have been painting in fits

• Options

Im interested to see how it lays down. I bought real RAL1003 safety yellow from an industrial supplier. It is an acrylic paint safe for metals and plastic. Im going to attempt to airbrush it on.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    It’s cool that they’re releasing the votann but it feels like so many areas of their existing armies are underdone. Like the imperial guard could use so many cool and unique models for like the various famous planets and forces, as well as updates to the dated ones. But also like the chaos space marines don’t have any unique slanesh stuff as far as I can tell? Just noise marines?

Prohass on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited September 2022
    League names seem to be either strongly mythological, often but not always Norse or Celtic, and/or modern astronomical references (capella, Orion, etc.) Combined with a group nation indicating a form of non-Imperial or monarchistic government (leagues, unions, hegemony, etc) and they have a fair number of hyphens to similarly indicate sort of allied/united governments. That's been my observation. Here's a reddit post where someone summarized a bunch of the minor leagues mentioned

https://www.reddit.com/r/LeaguesofVotann/comments/xmorkr/the_minor_leagues_of_votann/

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Anyone here familiar with 3d printing? We acquired one, but are having a lot of trouble getting started properly.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    It’s cool that they’re releasing the votann but it feels like so many areas of their existing armies are underdone. Like the imperial guard could use so many cool and unique models for like the various famous planets and forces, as well as updates to the dated ones. But also like the chaos space marines don’t have any unique slanesh stuff as far as I can tell? Just noise marines?

This is a consistent complaint.

We know World Eaters means the Khorne CSM line is being redone.

EC we know are in the pipe because it has been "hinted" strongly. And that means new noise marines, Fulgrim, and so on.

Base CSM will always just have the 4 special units (noise marines, zerkers, rubrics, and plague marines).

Guard we know are getting a chunk of new models and they also released stuff like Krieg in the last year.

The bigger issue is Guard should have been out before Votann but the scuttlebutt is the guard codex has been rewritten 3 times now. Once because it was too strong. Once because it was terrible. The current version I guess is in the middle but I don't know.

They really should have released a long standing army before the new one.

u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.