As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Rivertails, Shiner & Lovebirb out today!

• Options
    OdinOdin Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    As shitty an attitude as this is, I can't wait for Square Enix to just fail spectacularly.

Their current pres is a fucking buffoon.

The president who keeps talking about crypto has just been sacked actually

... But I hear the replacement also has crypto shit in his background so maybe they're still fucked

I cannot get over how fucking garbage these promo materials look. SE are you expecting people to get excited about this? Really?!

I thought the old CEO got the boot because of the fire sale of their IPs

Odin on
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Elendil wrote: »
    putting nomura to work in the mines designing 2300 kinds of belts to slap on your NFT avatar

I approve of this Nomura containment plan. Hopefully they can avoid any slip-ups. We don't need another Kingdom Hearts 3.2.pixel_+darkness game escaping.

Caedwyr on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    i don't think we're going to know the reason he's moving on for some time, everything is only speculation based on the things we think S-E is stupid for doing

it could very easily just be "has a bigger paycheque lined up"

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2023
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    turns out forspoken will be square-enix's last bespoke-n game B)

5/7

Oh shit an actual perfect score.

A duck! on
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Re: Dwarf Fortress vs Cave of Qud they're ultimately two entirely different genres. Roguelikes, like proper descended from Rogue and ascii-tile games from late 80s/90s fall into two types. Dungeon crawlers and sims.

Caves of Qud is a dungeon crawler (albeit an atypical one in that it allows for a lot more player choice in progression and has a narrative), and Dwarf Fortress is a sim. (Albeit one so unique and so long in development that it has almost created its own genre in and of itself.)

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    I would say dwarf fortress built off the visual and design language of roguelikes to execute a game in a completely different, barely related genre; while caves of qud is actually a roguelike, but a procedural open world-type roguelike rather than just a single procedural dungeon roguelike like the more traditional kinds are.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Dwarf Fortress does have Adventure Mode, which is a bit more similar to a roguelike - not in the current version, mind you, since they're still working on cleaning up that clunky interface for the paid release.

But also Adventure Mode is still more leaning into DF's Procedural Bad Fantasy Story Generator concept than being, well, an RPG. There's no goal or anything, no real end point, it's just "Hey, do you want to play as some random adventurer in this world you generated? Maybe visit your fortress, or slay some historically important demon?"

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    I'm reading some of the information/disclaimers on SYMBIOGENESIS and they made some wild choices here even beyond y'know. making a garbage nft project

the game is pre-planned to end after one year of service

the story has multiple endings but only three players' decisions will factor into the ending and everyone else just has to spectate?

this is how they explain that choice?
    Only 3 players will be able to take part in the final mission

Who to cooperate with, who to negotiate with, strategic communication will be required to reach the end.

This theme is a reflection of the contrast between Web2's centralized business model, and the decentralized principles of Web3 embodied by the blockchain technology, which are here symbolized by the "monopoly" and "share/distribution" keywords.

Can Web2 and Web3 live together in symbiosis? Or will the two approaches necessarily conflict?

What kind of interesting aspects can this decentralized approach bring?

By playing through SYMBIOGENESIS, perhaps you will reach this answer.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Oh god it's that Molyneux idle game all over again

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    "You haven't even purchased the product yet and we've already cut you off from content! Aren't the potentials for blockchain fascinating?"

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Selling copies of videogames to make a profit?

That's so web2.0

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Daypigeon wrote: »
    I'm reading some of the information/disclaimers on SYMBIOGENESIS and they made some wild choices here even beyond y'know. making a garbage nft project

the game is pre-planned to end after one year of service

the story has multiple endings but only three players' decisions will factor into the ending and everyone else just has to spectate?

this is how they explain that choice?
    Only 3 players will be able to take part in the final mission

Who to cooperate with, who to negotiate with, strategic communication will be required to reach the end.

This theme is a reflection of the contrast between Web2's centralized business model, and the decentralized principles of Web3 embodied by the blockchain technology, which are here symbolized by the "monopoly" and "share/distribution" keywords.

Can Web2 and Web3 live together in symbiosis? Or will the two approaches necessarily conflict?

What kind of interesting aspects can this decentralized approach bring?

By playing through SYMBIOGENESIS, perhaps you will reach this answer.

Love the theme of "Very few people are important, the rest of you are spectators, even if you spent a bunch of money." Very compelling uh... fantasy.

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Monthly subscription so you can go online and pretend to shovel chocobo shit after you get home from your day job

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    mrpaku wrote: »
    Monthly subscription so you can go online and pretend to shovel chocobo shit after you get home from your day job

I mean Wow classic was a success for a bit.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    This sounds like it will be an entertaining train wreck to watch and not spend money on

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Cello wrote: »
    This sounds like it will be an entertaining train wreck to watch and not spend money on

If it actually launches or comes out, like I'll be surprised if either of those things happen.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    to elaborate, to get into the "choices matter" club, a player has to complete the story missions (easy, available to everyone) and also do a treasure hunt for specific items (nightmarish, hints are given through ownership of specific nfts, "strategic communication" encouraged). Some of these items are "unique" and can only be obtained by a limited number of players, who can then turn those into nfts?

it kind of sounds like the entire game could come screeching to a halt if specific items end up in the wrong hands or people are unwilling to sell to each other? And also the entire game is designed to purposefully create these kind of standoffs? Like if this wasn't an nft project I would assume I was interpreting this wrong, but

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    So they read ready player one and thought "we should make an nft game on that?"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I mean, your choices don't matter in most MMOs, it's just also that nobody else's choices matter either

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Square Enix shuts down half their mobile games within a year anyway, so this time they're just being more upfront about it I guess

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Bold of Square-Enix to look at the underperforming live games they have let loose to die because of no advertising or after-launch support and being released at the same time as mega-anticipated titles, and decide to incorporate killing them off after a year as a feature.

Let me guess, this is gonna cost $79.99 base, never mind all the macro-transactions you'll be incentivized into getting to ensure anything you do is actually of any consequence.

• Options
    CoolrekCoolrek Registered User regular
    How many characters can any one person/wallet get? If someone can get as many as they want it just sounds like its going to lead to a similar sithuation to that other NFT game, axie infinity. Some people are going to buy in heavily and operate as pit bosses to some poor bastards they pay a pittance to play the game as a job in the hope they can sell them later when they're more valuable

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_SqH9XC2Ik
    The Mageseeker: A League of Legends Story is an indie 2D pixel action RPG set in the League of Legends universe, play as Sylas, a spell-stealing mage now freed from his captivity at the hands of the oppressive Mageseekers. Wield the chains that once bound you and bring Demacia to its reckoning. Check out the latest gameplay trailer for The Mageseeker: A League of Legends Story launching on April 18 for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series S|X, Nintendo Switch, and PC.

Game is being developed by Digital Sun, best known for Moonlighter

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Daypigeon wrote: »
    to elaborate, to get into the "choices matter" club, a player has to complete the story missions (easy, available to everyone) and also do a treasure hunt for specific items (nightmarish, hints are given through ownership of specific nfts, "strategic communication" encouraged). Some of these items are "unique" and can only be obtained by a limited number of players, who can then turn those into nfts?

it kind of sounds like the entire game could come screeching to a halt if specific items end up in the wrong hands or people are unwilling to sell to each other? And also the entire game is designed to purposefully create these kind of standoffs? Like if this wasn't an nft project I would assume I was interpreting this wrong, but

Acquiring a key clue NFT and then never logging in again just sounds very funny and satisfying. I'm sure they won't make obvious mistakes like that though, since crypto enthusiasts are known for their clever planning and foresight.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Wow, Square is planning on having three active players after a whole year of Symbiogenesis.

• Options
    That system seems designed around a bunch of mega whales buying the right to be the last 3.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Checking in on how another Square title that's been out for a year is doing...

4sjtgc999g2d.jpg

(It took a bit of googling to remember the name of this game)

Edit: Wait, did they pull the plug on this one already? SteamDB still listed it as receiving updates, but now I'm thinking they might have killed this one.

Lars on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I thought they just turned Babylon's Fall off.

• Options
    Yeah like two weeks ago it got shut down entirely

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    I thought they just turned Babylon's Fall off.

Yeah, I'd only looked at the main page and the Update History (which had them updating some file depots yesterday) so I'd assumed it was still active. Looks like they shut it down two weeks ago...three days before it's one year anniversary.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Checking in on how another Square title that's been out for a year is doing...

4sjtgc999g2d.jpg

(It took a bit of googling to remember the name of this game)

Edit: Wait, did they pull the plug on this one already? SteamDB still listed it as receiving updates, but now I'm thinking they might have killed this one.

Babylon's Fall Version 1.4.0 Patch Notes
    ・End of service

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    The more I learn about Symbiogenesis the funnier it's going to be when it inevitably crashes and burns.

As is right and just for the kind of numpties who have decided Normies are going to be a thing in their game capital underscore

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    All my clouds strifed

Slurp juice etc

I always beat the game with like 99 slurp juices I never used cause was saving just in case

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_SqH9XC2Ik
    The Mageseeker: A League of Legends Story is an indie 2D pixel action RPG set in the League of Legends universe, play as Sylas, a spell-stealing mage now freed from his captivity at the hands of the oppressive Mageseekers. Wield the chains that once bound you and bring Demacia to its reckoning. Check out the latest gameplay trailer for The Mageseeker: A League of Legends Story launching on April 18 for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series S|X, Nintendo Switch, and PC.

Game is being developed by Digital Sun, best known for Moonlighter

See it's funny because if you play League and get a Sylas on your team 9/10 he's gonna be toxic af

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    In Qud I found the new unique town. It's... a lot.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    via the nfts thread in D&D,here's some sort of document explaining how symbiogenesis is meant to work.

I was going to put a sample page in here but it is all just too insane to pick any single one, to be honest.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I started skimming through it and just got too angry and confused to continue, I can't wait to see them eat shit on this

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    All 10,000 characters have different stories, and only players who own NFTs can read their characters' stories. This creates an "information gap" between players with NFTs and those without.
    I can't wait for all those NFTs to get funged

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    So if you don't have one of the 10,000 then what are you even "playing"

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    So if you don't have one of the 10,000 then what are you even "playing"

yourself

liEt3nH.png
This discussion has been closed.