As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

šŸ–„ļøšŸŽ® - Rivertails, Shiner & Lovebirb out today!

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    As we have repeatedly stated, only 3 of all players are eligible to participate in World Mission.

The value of being selected as one of these 3 for a project undertaken by one of Japan's leading game companies is immeasurable.

Naturally, the difficulty level is extremely high. In addition to being good at games, you need to have a complex set of skills such as "reasoning", "information gathering", and "team buildingā€.
    Of the 3 types of players, the most important is players who aim to participate in World Mission.

The players must complete all Missions and items with World Mission participation rights in order to win World Mission participation rights. The player's first priority is to complete Quests and Great Missions of high difficulty in order to earn the right to participate in World Missions.

In order to conquer high difficulty Quests, it is important to acquire Character NFTs and Replica NFTs that possess Quest information.

The key to get these NFTs is to achieve higher member rank and obtain Allow List.

Member rank is increased by XP, and since XP varies with the number of NFTs held, the number of NFTs held is also an important factor in raising member rank.

In other words, players aiming for World Mission will be pressured to buy Character NFTs because the more Character NFTs they own, the more advantage they will have in the game.
    You know at no point in writing this did the person think, "are we the baddies?," because they absolutely knew

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    So if you don't have one of the 10,000 then what are you even "playing"

yourself

No, that's if you do have one.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    The document pretending that the answer to "monopoly" or "sharing" will be answered by the players pretends they don't know the answer will be "monopoly by whales who spend way too much on this garbage"

Couscous on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    What a hilariously ignorable game.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    the game's website says "the main story consisting of all 6 chapters and missions can be played to the end even without having any Character NFT" so I assume you just have... generic or story-locked characters available or something?

one of the fun details of this is that it's still really unclear what the gameplay even looks like beyond "sometimes you gotta find hidden items on the world map"

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I feel like a common thread between all NFT games is that the gameplay doesn't actually matter

What matters is that you can, theoretically, make money while engaging with it

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Man getting to the final boss of sekiro, and Iā€™m weirdly just over it. Iā€™ll likely take a month break. After beating the Hatred demon optional boss, the prospect of a 4 stage boss that can kill you in like two hits is just not appealing to me. I donā€™t know if itā€™s because Iā€™m going right into it after fighting that optional boss, but my enthusiasm just evaporated. Hopefully if I take a break Iā€™ll come back to it, but I have a feeling Iā€™m about to put the game down and never pick it up again at the finish line

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Hatred Demon is the only part of Sekiro I thought was outright bad

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Maddoc wrote: Ā»
    Hatred Demon is the only part of Sekiro I thought was outright bad

Itā€™s weird to say it but I feel like heā€™s easier for me than the actual last boss. Maybe Iā€™m just exhausted with the game and my timing is just getting sloppier. Too many of the moves have like two types of attacks so I canā€™t tell which one is coming based on the charge up, and often the boss will change a swipes direction mid charge or even swing to hit me when they were aiming somewhere else. I just constantly get a sense that thereā€™s bs going on

The second stage is just the worst. I never beat it, Iā€™ve gotten to the third guy once, and managed to beat him by jumping a lot. But the second stage every damn attack is either super fast or delayed, so I always parry wrong, and he just knocks you down loads and thereā€™s no time to get out of the way. I hate him, heā€™s the most annoying fight Iā€™ve had in the game. One of his moves needs to be jumped or backwards dodged and I just cannot do it.

Prohass on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    He's one of the hardest bosses in any From Software game and a step up in difficulty from every other boss in Sekiro.
    It's not just you everyone suffered. He took me hours my first time. He's a wall.

He is a fully controllable, understandable, and masterable wall.

But if that's not you right now, don't stress it. Just come back, or not. There's no reason you need to beat a game.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    I just kicked Lu Bu's ass in Wo Long and I'm feeling pretty proud of myself.

By kicked his ass I mean it came down to one healing left but hey I was the one standing.

https://youtu.be/tt_Kk3yXPAw

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    He's one of the hardest bosses in any From Software game and a step up in difficulty from every other boss in Sekiro.
    It's not just you everyone suffered. He took me hours my first time. He's a wall.

But if that's not you right now, don't stress it. Just come back, or not. There's no reason you need to beat a game.

Thereā€™s so many little annoying things. Like 90% of the time the moves will act one way, but every now and then theyā€™ll turn in a way they didnā€™t before, or like readjust on you mid swing in a move that normally doesnā€™t do that. Like the first guys opening charge up attack, itā€™ll almost always attack a certain way, but every now and again it behaves slightly differently and itā€™s like well fuck. At least everyone else suffered

Also the posture regen on the second guy is so exhausting. Basically if you donā€™t get him down to 25% he regenerates it all, and and that point Iā€™m like great fuck it

Iā€™ve got nothing to do today so Iā€™ll try it all day but if I canā€™t beat it today Iā€™m satisfied enough in the game to just leave it at that.

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Prohass wrote: Ā»

Thereā€™s so many little annoying things. Like 90% of the time the moves will act one way, but every now and then theyā€™ll turn in a way they didnā€™t before, or like readjust on you mid swing in a move that normally doesnā€™t do that. Like the first guys opening charge up attack, itā€™ll almost always attack a certain way, but every now and again it behaves slightly differently and itā€™s like well fuck. At least everyone else suffered

Iā€™ve got nothing to do today so Iā€™ll try it all day but if I canā€™t beat it today Iā€™m satisfied enough in the game to just leave it at that.

He actually just has a humongous amount of string variations and contextual sensitive modifications to his attacks based on what *you* do. You don't know what those are, so he's just this invincible infinitely deep murky lake you are peering into and you can't see the bottom.

My tip for the second stage is to not fight up close too much. Keep your distance more (sprint in a circle around him), and wait for him to do attacks that leap at you that you can mikiri, you can punish him with an attack after the mikiri. When fighting him point blank, you have to be careful that he doesn't leap backwards away from you, be prepared for it as the evading attack hurts. The third phase is a formality and you'll know why when you get to it.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I just kicked Lu Bu's ass in Wo Long and I'm feeling pretty proud of myself.

By kicked his ass I mean it came down to one healing left but hey I was the one standing.

https://youtu.be/tt_Kk3yXPAw

finally, a game where you can pursue Lu Bu

• Options
    I also had this sweet moment happen and I am going to swear to you that I planned the entire thing and wasn't just fucking around to test out a new martial art.

https://youtu.be/9PHqapTpDnE

Nope, I meant to do this. I can just see the ending.

• Options
    Whoeverā€™s idea it was to have the second part of sekiro final boss regen their entire posture meter I want to curse to the lowest pit of hell. I donā€™t quite get it, it seems to have stages sometimes, but other times regents the entire bar

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Hi fellow humans look at my entirely appropriate number of appendages:
    ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    yes, that seems correct

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Menā€™s risk of cancer increases in their feet sensory nodules when they hit 50 so just make sure to keep an eye on that

Prohass on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    The current thread title has caused me to start absentmindedly humming Wonderwall on not less than 3 occasions today and I only just worked out why.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    I beat the last boss of Sekiro. It took 5 hoursā€¦my god. By the end I could practically see the future but my damn late 30s hands would fuck up. Finally did it, yay. I honestly thought Iā€™d give up around hour 3, but then for like 2 hours I was getting to the last guy frequently so I kept going. Fuck itā€™s like 38 degrees where I am in Australia too so Iā€™m in a puddle of sweat

Thanks for all the help and advice in this thread too, particularly @Morninglord, the keep a short distance thing with the second phase was key to making him way more manageable. Still infuriating, but doable

Prohass on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: Ā»
    The current thread title has caused me to start absentmindedly humming Wonderwall on not less than 3 occasions today and I only just worked out why.

https://youtu.be/t9HUyHmLFzA

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: Ā»

https://youtu.be/t9HUyHmLFzA

Not gonna lie, this is exactly what I thought of when Fishman said that

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I've not played Sekiro, because despite my love for From games everything about it screams "no, go away, none of the challenges here are what you enjoyed in the Souls games", but I will say, I've gotten a bit grumpy about how over time From's enemy/boss design feels like it's turned into But What If We Punish You For Playing How We Taught You To Play. It's especially infuriating when you learn a boss' tell, get their recovery down, go in to punish them... and they pull a new move out of their ass to punish you instead.

Okay, yeah, it makes the fights more challenging, but boy does it not make them more fun. As a counterpoint I offer Fury, where learning a boss not only lets you do more damage to them, it can allow you to skip parts of the fight to reward you for being aggressive during their most dangerous moments.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    I beat the last boss of Sekiro. It took 5 hoursā€¦my god. By the end I could practically see the future but my damn late 30s hands would fuck up. Finally did it, yay. I honestly thought Iā€™d give up around hour 3, but then for like 2 hours I was getting to the last guy frequently so I kept going. Fuck itā€™s like 38 degrees where I am in Australia too so Iā€™m in a puddle of sweat

Thanks for all the help and advice in this thread too, particularly @Morninglord, the keep a short distance thing with the second phase was key to making him way more manageable. Still infuriating, but doable

Well done mate. I knew you could do it.

And yeah it's an oven where I am in Sydney too.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    And in my heart, I know Glal could do it too.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    There's one strategy that let me beat most From titles and it hasn't failed me yet.
    It's called Just Throw Yourself At Them Until You Win.
    yac3wpc53oc4.jpg

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: Ā»
    I've not played Sekiro, because despite my love for From games everything about it screams "no, go away, none of the challenges here are what you enjoyed in the Souls games", but I will say, I've gotten a bit grumpy about how over time From's enemy/boss design feels like it's turned into But What If We Punish You For Playing How We Taught You To Play. It's especially infuriating when you learn a boss' tell, get their recovery down, go in to punish them... and they pull a new move out of their ass to punish you instead.

Okay, yeah, it makes the fights more challenging, but boy does it not make them more fun. As a counterpoint I offer Fury, where learning a boss not only lets you do more damage to them, it can allow you to skip parts of the fight to reward you for being aggressive during their most dangerous moments.

From is very much the best worst game dev because of a lot of shit like that.

Or things like Surprise! Elden Rings final boss is immune to bleed!

In general, as iconic as their boss designs are, they're also all too often some of the weakest and worst parts of their games, all more when they get away from "roughly the same size as the player, humanoid" as a baseline

Also their awful, awful, awful camera controls.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: Ā»
    There's one strategy that let me beat most From titles and it hasn't failed me yet.
    It's called Just Throw Yourself At Them Until You Win.
    yac3wpc53oc4.jpg

Send wave after wave of yourself at them until they hit their kill limit

• Options
    edited March 2023
    I wouldnā€™t say the last boss in sekiro is bad or broken, itā€™s actually designed well compared to a lot of their bosses. It makes sure that you use most of the systems youā€™ve learned and does so without anything Iā€™d consider a bait and switch. The second phase gets the closest, as there are some real punishing combinations of attack types only if you go in at close range too long, so when Morninglord told me to keep him at a distance to avoid those attacks it made it a lot easier.

It definitely takes a long time to learn what to do and how to do it, and then once you have that down a long time to get the timing right. About 3 hours in I could read everything the boss was doing, and most of what I thought were bullshit random attacks before I managed to see the tells for. It was still unbelievably frustrating because no matter how good I got at it Iā€™d still fuck up phase 1 like 30% of the time, even though I usually could do it with minimal hits taken. And in a 4 phase fight thereā€™s just a lot of points that can be fail points

Like it was fair, just minimal room for error and a specific way to go about doing things. Each individual phase was doable, but add up all 4 and it just was a tough nut to crack.

It helped when I got the mentality to be more balanced and wait for openings. The boss had certain phases where he could regen a lot of posture damage build up, which instinctually sends you into panic mode and you try to get aggressive to stop his posture from regenerating. But in reality I found that while you could do the occasional attack to stop the gauge from draining, it was often best to just wait for a good series of attack sequences to parry and chain with an occasional counter hit to build the gauge up all in one big go

There was one thing I found helpful that Iā€™d never done in the game, and thatā€™s attempting to parry big area attacks. I vaguely knew you could do that, but I usually just ran. But running half the time still got me damaged and opened me up to a fatal follow up attack. In the end I decided to risk trying to perfectly parry these big attacks rather than run from them like I usually would, since I could guarantee less damage when blocking, and if I got lucky on the timing I could parry it entirely.

Essentially by the end I donā€™t feel like I got lucky, I actually feel like I got good enough to eventually win knowing exactly what I was doing every step of the way to that win

Some runs though you just got a bad angle or a bad couple of parries that flubbed and that was it. The camera also did fuck me a few times, especially during a move where he jumps and you have to dodge under/around him, the lock on would disengage and Iā€™d eat damage if I didnā€™t manage to turn around manually and lock on again in time. Also putting a cliff over half the arena led to some pain during otherwise good runs

The first 2 hours were just me getting slaughtered and infuriated tho, which honestly was extremely unpleasant and I got close to quitting. In other fromsoft games Iā€™m usually a overlevel or cheese or just give up kind of guy, but since I had all day and it was too hot to do anything else I just persisted.

Prohass on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

yourself

well now i'm interested

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: Ā»
    Hi fellow humans look at my entirely appropriate number of appendages:

back fin hell yes

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2023
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-cco7eiNJZQ&embeds_euri=https%3A%2F%2Fkotaku.com%2F&source_ve_path=MjM4NTE&feature=emb_title

Two days later, however, many players were still locked out. And those who could get in were finding the game full of crippling bugs, prompting RSI to tweet ā€œWeā€™re sorry for the super rough start - our team is all hands on deck working to get things running smoothly as quickly as possibleā€.

Two days later, however, many players were still locked out. And those who could get in were finding the game full of crippling bugs, prompting RSI to tweet ā€œWeā€™re sorry for the super rough start - our team is all hands on deck working to get things running smoothly as quickly as possibleā€.

https://kotaku.com/star-citizen-update-crash-error-down-bugs-3-18-rsi-pc-1850230452

this is actually all extremely good for Star Citizen

Brolo on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Zomboid Update!

Some big mods had updates. Brita's guns and armory went to "2.0" and added a ton of stuff. This is neat for seeing new stuff. Also got a mod that add randomized terraria style stats to all the weapons so you can find a "Quite" pistol that might be slightly less noisy than another pistol of the same type and a pencil with godlike damage. Makes looking for new stuff have meaning after you might thing you are good on weapons.

Most importantly the True Music mod, that added in boomboxes and record players with the ability to find cassettes and records of real period accurate music, updated and added in a knock off sony walkman. You can plug head phones into it and now run around listening to music, which is a huge QoL thing for me.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5n9QgkyaHM
    Lovebirb is a rhythm-based dating game about finding love one date at a time. Swipe right, chat on Bumbird, and impress your dates by playing all the right words to the rhythm of the music. šŸŽ¶šŸ¤
    20230316 Lovebirb (Visual NovelRhythmDating SimRPGMusic)

Learn every attack that gets used against you in this turn-based strategy game. Meet (and battle) a colorful cast of fully voice-acted characters as you search for the bully who wronged you.
    20230316 Shiner (Exploration Turn-Based Tactics Puzzle RPG) "
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_570QykfTUg
    River Tails: Stronger Together is a 3D co-op adventure platformer designed around an asymmetrical co-op system. Teammates must work together to defeat end-of-level bosses and solve puzzles across a range of natural-world environments. All you need is communication,
    20230316 River Tails: Stronger Together (Early AccessAdventureActionCo-op3D)

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: Ā»
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-cco7eiNJZQ&embeds_euri=https%3A%2F%2Fkotaku.com%2F&source_ve_path=MjM4NTE&feature=emb_title

https://kotaku.com/star-citizen-update-crash-error-down-bugs-3-18-rsi-pc-1850230452

this is actually all extremely good for Star Citizen

I disagree with the 1st comment of that kotaku article.

This game IS a grift. The devs working on this just don't realize they're an expense so the leadership can collect a pay cheque despite delivering nothing but failure.

Management have realized that if they're not greedy (IE take a bunch of money at once and run), they can just collect a nice regular pay cheque forever with minimal effort.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I wouldnā€™t say the last boss in sekiro is bad or broken, itā€™s actually designed well compared to a lot of their bosses. It makes sure that you use most of the systems youā€™ve learned and does so without anything Iā€™d consider a bait and switch. The second phase gets the closest, as there are some real punishing combinations of attack types only if you go in at close range too long, so when Morninglord told me to keep him at a distance to avoid those attacks it made it a lot easier.

It definitely takes a long time to learn what to do and how to do it, and then once you have that down a long time to get the timing right. About 3 hours in I could read everything the boss was doing, and most of what I thought were bullshit random attacks before I managed to see the tells for. It was still unbelievably frustrating because no matter how good I got at it Iā€™d still fuck up phase 1 like 30% of the time, even though I usually could do it with minimal hits taken. And in a 4 phase fight thereā€™s just a lot of points that can be fail points

Like it was fair, just minimal room for error and a specific way to go about doing things. Each individual phase was doable, but add up all 4 and it just was a tough nut to crack.

It helped when I got the mentality to be more balanced and wait for openings. The boss had certain phases where he could regen a lot of posture damage build up, which instinctually sends you into panic mode and you try to get aggressive to stop his posture from regenerating. But in reality I found that while you could do the occasional attack to stop the gauge from draining, it was often best to just wait for a good series of attack sequences to parry and chain with an occasional counter hit to build the gauge up all in one big go

There was one thing I found helpful that Iā€™d never done in the game, and thatā€™s attempting to parry big area attacks. I vaguely knew you could do that, but I usually just ran. But running half the time still got me damaged and opened me up to a fatal follow up attack. In the end I decided to risk trying to perfectly parry these big attacks rather than run from them like I usually would, since I could guarantee less damage when blocking, and if I got lucky on the timing I could parry it entirely.

Essentially by the end I donā€™t feel like I got lucky, I actually feel like I got good enough to eventually win knowing exactly what I was doing every step of the way to that win

Some runs though you just got a bad angle or a bad couple of parries that flubbed and that was it. The camera also did fuck me a few times, especially during a move where he jumps and you have to dodge under/around him, the lock on would disengage and Iā€™d eat damage if I didnā€™t manage to turn around manually and lock on again in time. Also putting a cliff over half the arena led to some pain during otherwise good runs

The first 2 hours were just me getting slaughtered and infuriated tho, which honestly was extremely unpleasant and I got close to quitting. In other fromsoft games Iā€™m usually a overlevel or cheese or just give up kind of guy, but since I had all day and it was too hot to do anything else I just persisted.

I don't know if I said this in the past (generally Morninglord has shown up first with better advice), but I've found that you can easily treat Sekiro like it's Punch-Out!! to great success. Once you've internalized the parry timings, all you need is your attack and block buttons unless you see a throw coming. (Okay, it isn't that simple, but it gets close, no puns intended.)

The other out-of-date advice is to actually not push as hard as you did; I would recommend no more than two contiguous hours of attempts. You hit that and it's time to go to bed. Sleep is a weirdly miraculous learning tool; more than once when returning to a boss I just could not read the day before, the reflexes were just... there. Like, I didn't even know what the tell was, but my subconscious had filled it all in. It is actually kind of a disturbing feeling. :lol:

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    The Steam spring sale starts in 2.5 hours.

Been thinking of maybe picking up Deep Rock Galactic.

Have y'all heard good things about that? It looks fun, is it fun?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: Ā»
    The Steam spring sale starts in 2.5 hours.

Been thinking of maybe picking up Deep Rock Galactic.

Have y'all heard good things about that? It looks fun, is it fun?

If you have access to Gamepass, you can try it there first and see what you think. I do hear good things about it, though.

This discussion has been closed.