As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tabletop Roleplaying]: Anyway Nazi punks fuck off

Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
edited September 2023 in Social Entropy++
In this thread we will discuss roleplaying games: hosting them, playing them, designing them. There’s at least a zillion out there. Some simple, some strange, some old. Fit for one-shots or built to go the distance. In a bunch you only roll six-sided dice, a few use ‘oracles’—a deck of cards with corresponding questions and scenarios, and in others you don’t roll dice at all.

Consider:
ICON
Made by the chap who is currently finishing up the last volume of Kill Six Billion Demons and creator of LANCER (with help), ICON is a fantasy game that shares more blood with Final Fantasy Tactics than Lord of the Rings. Using past tactical games and his own experience with LANCER as the building blocks for this streamlined heroic system, as well as the smooth narrative mechanics cribbed from Blades in the Dark, it looks set to become one of the finest games of this year. Currently still in the playtesting phase.
https://massif-press.itch.io/icon

Frontier Scum
One of the most artistic books around, rivalling and possibly surpassing MÖRK BORG for how on theme it is at all times. Call it Acid Western, call it Spaghetti Poisoning. In this game you’re wanted out on the Lost Frontier, with nothing to your name but a gun and strange, whispering relics.
https://gamesomnivorous.com/products/frontier-scum?variant=43398380716265

Mythras
So I think… I think it’s Rune Quest? Somehow? Mythras as it stands has been built out from many games reaching as far back as the 70’s. A percentile system focusing on a sense of realism, or at least, genuine weight to your size, fighting style and moment to moment choices in order to create a level of combat and action that feels true. The default Bronze Age setting is fresh in the face of so many not-medieval faux-Europes, and aims for a manner of heroism more like Achilles than Melf the Elf.
https://thedesignmechanism.com/

Anyways, have some character inspiration. Today’s theme is fashion!
erw743ry71o3.jpeg
0m2sniaj9rxv.jpeg
cfxtqezznfct.jpeg
e1b3cwudwapa.jpeg
pdvy6mfhjw4c.jpeg
9q2e3s52s0tn.jpeg
bbrnpnvc27ft.jpeg
qom87ezyy61q.jpeg
t94afl4y3vel.jpeg

A duck! on

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I'm going to Mörk up all of your Borgs when I finish my new game, Wasteland Degenerates.

Uh, does anyone know how to publish a game?

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Whatsa tout?

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Nothing, what’s a deez nuts with you?

Got ‘em? I barely knew ‘em!

Ligma.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Whatsa tout?

Someone who wanders around Sigil, the home of the Lady of Pain, and points newcomers in the direction of food, drink, lodging, pleasure, or knowledge as they require.

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Whatsa tout?

The hot new social media service brought to you by World Wrestling Entertainment

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Whatsa tout?

A freshwater salmonid fish

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I got a link to an updated version of the stonetop pdfs they got the how to play chapter finished

I might try starting a group for it soon if I can convince some folks

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    @Endless_Serpents Thank you for bringing The Geeky Baju Project to my attention! Holy shit those are gorgeous.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Anyone here tried Gubat Banwa yet?

https://makapatag.itch.io/gubat-banwa
    7zd89q79pi5x.png

It seems perfect for a kill six billion demons style game, even more so than Broken Worlds; not sure about the narrative/tactical mix though

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I've only read through it. In general it seems super solid.

For what it's worth on the narrative/tactical mix: It's pretty firmly about fighting. Not in a D&D 'this is where the mechanics are' way but literally the fiction and focus of mechanics is on doing violence and what that means for you and your loved ones/nation.

Otherwise the non combat stuff is either downtime where you explore relations and obligations or rolls for resolving skill check style stuff using various element themed approaches.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    * A corresponding narrative system made to help play out war drama in this setting, along the veins of Final Fantasy Tactics, Hero, House of Flying Daggers, Malazan, Tigana, Game of Thrones, and Tactics Ogre!
    * Want to try out the Thundering Tactics Battle System that fuses modern narrative sensibilities with D&D4e style tactical combat and wargaming dice pools.

Alright you sonsabitches, you've got my interest

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Kobold Press has put out a statement about what they plan to achieve with their "new" game, currently known as Project Black Flag. To put it simply, it's apparently supposed to be a 5.5 not owned by WotC that's closer to original 5E than One D&D is and that has replacements for things not in the SRD.
    One of our wise team members said something that I think about almost daily, “This game has meant too much to us for too long to let it remain owned by just one company.”

And they are right. I love D&D. I’ve played every edition, bought hundreds of books, and my fondest memories are built on this game. I would go so far as to say if not for D&D, I don’t know if I would be here today.

I am not ready to give it up or let its future be controlled by a single company. We know many of you feel the same way.

That’s why we are keeping all the good of 5E alive. And to make it better. That’s why we are raising the flag to declare that we will be here to keep the candle burning, no matter what shareholders plan in some distant tower.
    ---
    I don’t feel great about what I have seen and speculated about One D&D thus far. I seriously doubt that One D&D can fulfill the promise of true backward compatibility.
    ---
    This project is taking on the issues we can fix without invalidating the thousands of dollars we’ve all spent on some really killer 5E products.
    ---
    We’ve heard people say, “But why? The SRD is in Creative Commons now!” We invite you to re-look at the SRD and note just how much beloved 5E stuff is NOT in it.

Do you want to just play a Champion Fighter until the end of time? Neither do we.

Here’s a list of a few things other Kobold designers and I are creating as replacements for the great core rulebooks bits that we all wish were in the SRD:

● Alternatives for the Player’s Handbook subclasses missing from the SRD
    ● Reimaging the feats missing from the SRD as talents (spoiler alert: it’s all of them, except Grappler)
    ● Lore text for every monster in the SRD (only stat blocks are in the SRD)

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Anyone here tried Gubat Banwa yet?

https://makapatag.itch.io/gubat-banwa
    7zd89q79pi5x.png

It seems perfect for a kill six billion demons style game, even more so than Broken Worlds; not sure about the narrative/tactical mix though

I have the pdf from a bundle, but I haven't really gotten around to reading it, I just leafed through slightly. The sheer focus on how violence is good and important seems like it would make it a terrible fit for my group, they're very much the kind to mostly get out the swords only when talking to people fails and/or stuff like slavery is involved.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    It's very much the crux of the game: You are the warrior caste of the society, what does that mean? Why do you draw blades? etc etc.

You can be both noble upholders of good morality and also people who do violence for a state, family or grudge.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Violence being important in Gubat Banwa is kinda inarguable, even if you are working to stop, end or limit it. violence being good, however? The quotes the game presents convey a prevailing in-setting attitude, but it never tries to empirically say it is morally correct. Their world is about to enter "a war to end all wars" - what sort of mindset leads to that? How the players engage with it is up to them

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    As someone whose 3 main game ideas in playtest are:

GITS but more queer and british and uncomfortable

Stargate Atlantis but fitd

Resident Evil X Hunt Showdown hosted by the roman empire

I have to admit I'm just stuck in finding violence as the default for PC's and examining why that is.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Tonight was a one-off PbtA Space Western set on a lithium mining colony

I played Clayton Moore, a first-footer prospector who made his fortune early and now earns his way by leasing equipment and providing seed money to younger prospectors, and making a profit on the interest
    Yes, the back story was solely to justify being known as The Loan Arranger

He has a robot sausage dog with a concertina body
    Yes, this was solely so I could announce that "I got a long little doggie"

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    I don’t really have a place to chat about this… so I’ll foist it upon yous.

Ages ago I made a setting called New Zellatia. I’ve run it in d20, simplified PbtA, as part of modified Quiet Years, but honestly? I just want to world build in it, no strings attached. It’s a calming little thought box.

Right now I’m making a language for it! There’s several intelligent species living together in one place after defeating a colonial force that shifted a lot of groups around, so upon the founding of their new nation a project was set up to codify the most common language (itself a pigeon of all the others) and create a writing system.

What this means is, unlike say Tolkien’s refined Elven, New Zellatian is about as fucked up as English. However, much like Korean, the writing system, being designed in one go by a group of scholars, is supposed to be pretty slick.

3joi1am9va1v.jpeg
    i1t7vev5gg2m.jpeg

Because, you know, you may as well go the scenic route rather than making an alphabet, in this language you write a consonant, then attach a vowel to it. I’m making extra rules as I go to accommodate times when that isn’t gonna work. Right now a single vowel gets a long line attached to it. Since there’s a bunch of times when one letter has a different sound to it, I’m sticking an umlaut over the vowel.

Overall the language is supposed to look like trees, boats, fish and little people.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I'm seeing somebody bending over to examine sparkling treasure, and they happen to have a superlative dump truck, so I'd say mission accomplished

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I see a & next to an angry snake face ~>"

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Darmak wrote: »
    I see a & next to an angry snake face ~>"

Have this for no reason.
    c9s6z2ubj10s.jpeg

• Options
    drmak

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    fvgg0i5h4crq.jpg

Somebody translated the old original Record of Lodoss War d&d campaign report articles from the 1986-87 Japanese magazine it was published in, Compatiq, written to get people interested in the recently officially localized D&D tabletop game. This campaign continued on to become a very popular long running thing and became a big cultural touchstone influence on japanese D&D-style high fantasy stuff, in anime and games and all sorts of shit, though it was not the only thing creating that wave of interest in high fantasy swords and magic stuff. Dragon Quest had been released in '86 inspired by computer games like Ultima, and Final Fantasy released in '87, heavily cribbing from both Dragon Quest and D&D. There was a broad surge of interest in tabletop fantasy games and media inspired by them at this time.

It's viewable on archive.org: https://archive.org/details/record-of-lodoss-war-comptiq-magazine-english-translation

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    One of the guys in our group that DM'd part of a campaign for us is going to spin up another one so the guy that's running the Spelljammer game can get a chance to play.

Excited about my character concept, a teenage tiefling girl who was raised by priests of Mystra and became a wizard. Was thinking of multiclassing into an arcana domain cleric of Mystra later, since it'd be easy to justify. Left the temple to see the world and new magics, etc., but never stopped being intensely devoted to the goddess. Gonna be difficult to roleplay a bubbly teenage girl, but I'ma give it my best shot.

Her physical appearance is based solely off Tony DiTerlizzi's work, as I find his tieflings way cooler than the current crop of "just normal humans but with pink/purple/blue skin and horns" tiefling designs I see everywhere.

vavdthyuo3h7.jpg
    d7za0zlpslav.jpeg

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    @Darmark, if your DM is open to using UA material, the Theurgy tradition for Wizards could be a fun subclass for your character?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Darmark, if your DM is open to using UA material, the Theurgy tradition for Wizards could be a fun subclass for your character?

He normally is open to it for one-shots and stuff, but for this he's just doing purely official material. I believe he's going to be running Dragon Heist, which will be his first time using a module and he's been playing since the late 70's, so he doesn't want something new or too weird to keep track of.

So of course I'm using the tiefling of Mammon subspecies from Mordenkainen's ToF. Nobody in my group even knew those were in there, they only knew about the Asmodeus tieflings (ie, the "default" ones) 🙃

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    I’m legit really enjoying the Lodoss translation.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    One of the guys in our group that DM'd part of a campaign for us is going to spin up another one so the guy that's running the Spelljammer game can get a chance to play.

Excited about my character concept, a teenage tiefling girl who was raised by priests of Mystra and became a wizard. Was thinking of multiclassing into an arcana domain cleric of Mystra later, since it'd be easy to justify. Left the temple to see the world and new magics, etc., but never stopped being intensely devoted to the goddess. Gonna be difficult to roleplay a bubbly teenage girl, but I'ma give it my best shot.

Her physical appearance is based solely off Tony DiTerlizzi's work, as I find his tieflings way cooler than the current crop of "just normal humans but with pink/purple/blue skin and horns" tiefling designs I see everywhere.

vavdthyuo3h7.jpg
    d7za0zlpslav.jpeg

My brain translates everything Planescape-related in DiTerlizzi's style. I care not for modern-style tieflings.

• Options
    Yeah the Sigil of my mind is DiTerlizzi top to bottom (or round and round, I suppose).

• Options

vavdthyuo3h7.jpg
    d7za0zlpslav.jpeg

My brain translates everything Planescape-related in DiTerlizzi's style. I care not for modern-style tieflings.

I don't dislike modern-style tieflings, but compared to DiTerlizzi's style they're so boring. I don't like all of DiTerlizzi's artwork but it is definitely unique and has a cool, ethereal style. The way modern tieflings are depicted to me feels like they were created by a marketing team based on consumer metrics, and it just gives me corporate social media account vibes.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    that tiefling art fucking rules I love that

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Ahahah ok good D&D session story: we're cornered by a vampire who could probably kill any of our low level party by backhanding us. She makes a portal on the floor to force us to walk the plank into an evil nightmare dimension (where the GM had planned for adventures to occur in the process of escaping it). But as the vampire spends a while gloating, our druid moves up next to the portal's opposite side from her, as if to proceed to jump in. Another party member is distracting her, asks her why she's casting us into the portal instead of just killing us. She responds smugly "Because it's funny, I suppose." The druid casts the thorn whip cantrip on the vampire, rolls great, lands it and pulls her 10 feet closer, directly onto the nightmare hole, and we throw a portal-neutralizer macguffin on it to close it behind her for good measure. She was right, it was funny! She is going to be very mad after she gets out of there and we run into her again and tell her so.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Even Annah from Torment, all the way back in '98, was a bit too conventional in her appearance, though the novelization tried to put her more in line with the DiTerlizzi aesthetic. (I'm not too surprised by that; it was a late-90s video game after all. All of her in-game weirdness beyond the tail came from psychological/biochemical stuff, like enjoying the smell of formaldehyde and literally heating up enough to make her clothes start smoking when she got excited.)

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna be honest, while I think those tieflings are neat I don't really see sexy elf with goat legs as particularly exciting or unconventional

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    How about a sexy goat with elf legs?

• Options
    Honestly the main issue I have with Tieflings isn't any individual design.

So much as like, they're supposed to be weird, half demon spawn things that unsettle people. So it's odd how they have pretty uniform appearances in settings.

It'd lend a bit more credence to them apparently being weirdos if there was a less consistent frame of reference for them in setting. An entire species that conjures thoughts of the uncanny valley and monsters. Not because they're ugly or monstrous inherently but because it's hard to recognize them as a singular, safe group by looks.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The horny devil people idea in itself is fine. Killing off tieflings to make them was a sin against creativity.

• Options
    Honestly the main issue I have with Tieflings isn't any individual design.

So much as like, they're supposed to be weird, half demon spawn things that unsettle people. So it's odd how they have pretty uniform appearances in settings.

It'd lend a bit more credence to them apparently being weirdos if there was a less consistent frame of reference for them in setting. An entire species that conjures thoughts of the uncanny valley and monsters. Not because they're ugly or monstrous inherently but because it's hard to recognize them as a singular, safe group by looks.

I like the old tables you could roll on for tiefling attributes, like goat legs and having six fingers (mine has both of those!), smelling like rotting meat, big horns or small horns or none at all, a lizard tail, forked tongue, etc.

I get why they did the whole, "Asmodeus made a deal with a whole nation and turned em all into tieflings, so that's why his tieflings are so prevalent" thing. It makes it easier to consolidate tieflings into one box than to keep em a weird mixed bag, since simplifying and condensing stuff was 5e's whole thing. But I feel like they lost out on a lot of the uniqueness of tieflings when they did that.
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I'm gonna be honest, while I think those tieflings are neat I don't really see sexy elf with goat legs as particularly exciting or unconventional

If you wanna get all reductionist then yeah sexy elf with goat legs (and a tail!) isn't all that neat. But when she's supposed to be the same as the species of people that are all basically just "regular humans with red skin and devil horns and tails" it's at least something different and unusual. Part of the appeal for me, I think, is also DiTerlizzi's art style. I think he could make even the current tieflings look interesting. Maybe I'm just being an old man yelling at clouds, mad at <popular thing> for being popular.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    If I was gonna be a demon guy I’d be a demon guy that looks like the work of Wayne Barlowe.

tjjb7bvu9aoj.jpeg

Endless_Serpents on
This discussion has been closed.