As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo] ... please move on to new thread ...

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Fiskebent wrote: »
    I haden't seen anything on trading in D4, so I looked it up. Apparently, you can't trade legendaries and uniques. Only rares and below. That's kind of a bummer. I liked trading in D2.

Yeah they've stated that one of their goals is to have the economy revolve more around perfect or near-perfect rolled rares, since they have systems in place to upgrade those to legendary

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Hmm I guess Barbarians can't do their class skill quest in Beta. Boo hiss

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    this isnt necromancy this is depression

8idzrbvkl4n9.png

she needs a friend not a skeleton army

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    So I've now played a werewolf druid up to level 17....and it's been pretty fun? Certainly doesn't stack up next to my sorc as far as damage output goes but definitely leaps and bounds over barb in survivability. And this is wolf form, not bear. I did find a leggo that gives me +15% damage reduction in wolf form.

I also found one that turns my wolf companions into werewolf companions so now I'm just a trio of werewolves running around spreading rabies everywhere.

Yup.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Xbox Series S impressions: runs fine, console stays silent as always. Having cross-platform characters is very nice.

Had some fun with chain lightning sorcerer and reave necromancer, but not 80€ worth. Oh well, better to find out on free beta than after paying.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i think i have achieved a vibe we can call disco goth

3q2ybcx30qf0.png

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    D4 turns the LEDs on my keyboard red and I'm not a fan. Anyone know where I can turn that off, if possible? I've looked through the settings but can't find it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Really, I don't see how people can live in the world of Sanctuary. You had to rescue Deckard Cain because his town went to shit.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    I don't know why they added any other title suffixes to the game if they know everybody is just going to use "Trash".

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Two full trips through the queue to a "timed out" finish. Off to a great start this weekend.

• Options
    Zek wrote: »
    I don't know why they added any other title suffixes to the game if they know everybody is just going to use "Trash".
    Hey now, there's "Rubbish" for our across the pond friends as well.

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Glad I got in early and stuck on then, pretty much done the story with necro just shy of 17. Necro does indeed feel kinda busted (for now), but maybe that’s just coming from Barb last weekend.

I have that mist legendary someone mentioned ready to try later :+1:

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    excuse me

Rotten Rubbish over here

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    My nec is Grave Coordinator

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Got it running on Deck pretty nicely at low/45hz and medium textures (didn't even download high res). 16:10 keeps things readable and controller is fully supported. Only thing is it started stuttering like crazy maybe 10 minutes in and fully crashed my system right thereafter. I've seen reports of crashes even on desktop so wonder if it is a memory leak, since SteamOS is known to not handle out-of-memory very gracefully. Meanwhile got an hour or two in on series S earlier, that might just be more stable than the PC version at the moment, and it runs at a smooth 60 FPS and what looks more-or-less 1080p so a good experience overall.

HDR support seems unfinished on both console and PC now, but in SDR mode D4 looks pitch-perfect on an LG C1, not washed out as compressed videos suggested (although there was some visible banding in the fog of an early cutscene). This game might be leaning more towards high-contrast displays with all the black it uses, which doesn't always look the best on glowy IPS without local dimming. Hope they get HDR tuned up for release as that could really shine, love how the D2R dungeons looked in that.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah I noticed the HDR looked washed out. Disabling didn’t make much of a difference for me which is unfortunate.

I’m on a c2 currently.

I’ll see if I can mess with it if you were able to get SDR looking good.

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    "Potential Witch" for my sorc

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    You literally can not walk anywhere in Sanctuary without something trying to kill you.

• Options
    ok i made a sorc and shes serving looks in the menu

aw0xq97qln9q.png

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    Are....are there farms in Diablo? How do people eat.

• Options
    what is up with the spell fx looking so bad but the environmental fx being good

the fire on skeletons looks like its from an indie game in 2014 but the torches look good as fuck

q88n3ktxsxcn.png

ynim80dawgqc.png

wat u doin blizarde

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    made a character, hit start game, hangs on character screen forever

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited March 2023
    I asked a priest if his pyre was church sanctioned and he said Kyovashad is far and I'm like dude, it's like a three minute walk.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Okay so I'm playin the game.

On the good side, tone and atmosphere are definitely better than D3. Not perfect, but definitely better. No huge complaints on the networking side given it's a stress test -- got in in 30 minutes while eating dinner, my skeletons get janky sometimes from lag, and yeah I hit some invisible walls. But really what's more classic D2 style than invisible lag walls?

I'm kind of with surreality though -- lots of this game is very pretty and looks like I want a 2023 Diablo to look like. Some if it feels a...little less than I would expect a 2023 blizzard game to look like. Some of the models just don't feel quite right, and yeah the spell effects are....not very good in a lot of instances. The standard fire effect in this game should look awesome, and it doesn't. The sound design also isn't quite clicking with me -- not especially bad, but it feels like it's missing some bass or something and feels "light", not quite the chunkiness I want in an ARPG right now (playing a necro). Spell fx and the sound fx with them is huge to how good an ARPG feels, so I'm hoping I find some more impactful feeling stuff as I go on (I feel strong, but it just feels floaty so far, early on). On the necro note -- why can't corpses just be corpses? Why do they need to be bright red and shooting out a vertical blood volcano thing? Plenty of ARPGs have shown you can make corpses super readable for "corpse spells" with just some highlighting/outlining on mouse over while still having them look like normal enemy corpses and fit the tone better. Also the spell cast animation for hemorrhage is kind of dumb -- I thought it just looked dumb because of my two handed sword, but it looks dumb with a variety of weapons.

The in-game cutscenes are a mix of super cool and kind of janky and unnecessarily slow. The janky teleportyness could just be beta stuff, hopefully can be polished. It feels like they really really want you to see your character model a lot, and just add in unnecessary stuff. The rigging/animation on the player character model seems less cool in cutscenes than the NPCs, and it's hard to shake the notion that most of the cutscenes would look way better and less janky without the PC in them at all. Similar with dialogue -- protagonist is slightly voiced and will talk to the NPCs sometimes -- but mostly isn't and it's a weird mix so far.

Also I had no strong opinions on the "destiny-like" multiplayer where you see other players thing going in. I mostly play ARPGs solo but will definitely do pubbie parties in D2/D3 for loot and levels a decent amount. As soon as it happened though, I recoiled immediately and hated it and got as far away as possible. Let me choose when I want to do that -- it jacks with the tone running out into bleak horrible demon field and seeing another person plowing through it already. The second person I saw is also level 25 while I'm level 6? It seems like some sort of boss area, but I can kill everything around it without issue and that's a huge level gap for so early (which can be tweaked and I really hope it is).

I don't mean the above to sound too critical, just some observations. It's early on and there's lots of structural stuff I don't understand yet, so I may still wind up enjoying it quite a lot. So far though I'm pressing on more for science and not because I've caught some kind of "oh dang this feels awesome" fever.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Similar with dialogue -- protagonist is slightly voiced and will talk to the NPCs sometimes -- but mostly isn't and it's a weird mix so far.

Yeah it's weird, when you talk to NPCs, your character does not voice the line you click on to initiate the dialogue, but talks from that point forward. Very jarring

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    edited March 2023
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Similar with dialogue -- protagonist is slightly voiced and will talk to the NPCs sometimes -- but mostly isn't and it's a weird mix so far.

Yeah it's weird, when you talk to NPCs, your character does not voice the line you click on to initiate the dialogue, but talks from that point forward. Very jarring

Right? And like (early cutscene spoilers)
    You've got the cutscene where Lillith shows up to the Church, charms the villagers and they bash the the priests skull in with wicked evil murder grins. My necromancer is relaying the story after the cutscene, and says something like "Lillith came to them....and they welcomed her....almost like a mother"

And my reaction is "That's what you took out of that entire sequence of events? That is a terrible and vague synopsis that omits 90% of the important details!" It would work better with the NPC just being like "Oh wow that's what you saw huh?" without the awkward 20% of an explanation.

Do we want the character to be a character or not? It's a very strange middle ground between pure silent obsever and an attempt at characterization and having you be more involved in the story

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Some of the models just don't feel quite right, and yeah the spell effects are....not very good in a lot of instances.

fwiw spell fx supposedly change as you level them, so the level 1 version of a spell won't look as cool as a level 8 version of the spell, for example. Someone actually just asked about it and they said it's in the game

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    Some of the models just don't feel quite right, and yeah the spell effects are....not very good in a lot of instances.

fwiw spell fx supposedly change as you level them, so the level 1 version of a spell won't look as cool as a level 8 version of the spell, for example. Someone actually just asked about it and they said it's in the game

Yeah it's safe to say I will be watching some videos of high end, end game content before I purchase. I hope they do look cooler, because that obviously is where the game should look the coolest, and having an image of that in your mind can make the early phases more bearable. I have played ARPGs that look much cooler at this very early phase of the game, but hey gradually increasing skill effects could be cool if done well.

I got to level 10, did a few random dungeon thingies, got a whatever the legendary craft-skill-effect-on-item thing is called and logged out for now to play some other games instead. No big compulsion to keep going, but not saying it's bad either. I just don't needs it quite yet like I was hoping for, but I'll probably play more throughout the weekend.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Not a big fan of the spell effects either. They all look too soft. No sharpness, no bite, no pzazz.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    I'm guessing there's no way to transfer gold/materials to alts?

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Very glad to hear that skill effects will scale. I was worried at how minimal the basic spells looked.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    man the summon wolf activate is clunky and bad. the poison creeper owns, though

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I just realized that the necromancer is left-handed.

This is my new favorite thing.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    money coming out of things is at a lower frame rate than the rest of the game

but also look im a princess already and im only level 5 wowee

wqyuw4pi4zkw.png

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    I dunno I find the lack of visual screen cancer kind of nice. It actually lets me dodge things on screen. The game will have me play it and depending on the end game it has the basics to be the best arpg out there.

Druid felt like second weakest unit ahead of barb but at 16 the skills open up and it extends the lead over barb really fast. I have only got two of the lego abilites so far too. Rabies and poison creeper clears screens and its not even upgraded yet from the 16+ nodes that look very strong.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »

Gold and mats are shared between all your characters, as is your item stash.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    I'm only level 10 with him but so far caster druid feels pretty underwhelming. Tornado doesn't feel satisfying to use. The lightning storm core skill kills pack pretty fast but you run out of spirit so fast. And feels even worse against a big boss. And unlike Sorceress, your spirit doesn't refill by itself while you're kiting so you're always stuck spamming your disappointing basic a lot regardless of what you do.

Fireflash on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    try the earth spell with uhh the wind basic attack. that's what has been my bread and butter along with the summon skills. I'm up to level 16 now, only died once to a cheap one shot

• Options
    forty wrote: »

Gold and mats are shared between all your characters, as is your item stash.
    Oh awesome. I'm "finishing up" my barb from last week but plan on making an alt shortly.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Jars wrote: »
    try the earth spell with uhh the wind basic attack. that's what has been my bread and butter along with the summon skills. I'm up to level 16 now, only died once to a cheap one shot

Yeah haven't been around to trying that one yet. I'm using the wind basic skill too but I don't like it much. Maybe druid is expected to use his basic skill more than sorceress. Do you put points in the damage of your wind basic skill?

Fireflash on
This discussion has been closed.