We have a new update on The Future of the Penny Arcade Forums.

Forum memoria

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    I have this thread, called Ancient Forum History from 2006/2007 still bookmarked specifically as a reminder of how much things have changed since then.

Oof.

Why did I click this.

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I remember the days of photoshopping contests, and editing the comic of the day

I think my favourite was when somebody added a silencer to the gun below

dkbram42zknj.jpg

Thanks, that was me!

I don't think I have the edited image anymore but even Mike was mad he hadn't thought of it and that made me feel pretty good at the time.

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Gat dang. I'm kinda ancient with my '06 arrival but holy hell, the fact that people even back then were talking about "ancient history"

Puts some perspective on how fucking long this place has been around, and how much it has changed for the better.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Gat dang. I'm kinda ancient with my '06 arrival but holy hell, the fact that people even back then were talking about "ancient history"

Puts some perspective on how fucking long this place has been around, and how much it has changed for the better.

It's wild to think that next year my forum account will be old enough to legally drink in the USA.

JtgVX0H.png
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    I think we should really only be worried when our accounts are old enough to have kids who could join the forums.

I say this only because there are forumers who have met on the forums who have kids old enough to join the forums and I am clinging to youth.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I think we should really only be worried when our accounts are old enough to have kids who could join the forums.

I say this only because there are forumers who have met on the forums who have kids old enough to join the forums and I am clinging to youth.

The age to join is what, 13? So if my account had a baby account when it was 18 then it'd be 31 by the time it's baby account could join and post. So that'd happen in only 11 more years

JtgVX0H.png
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular

https://xkcd.com/2363/

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    I have this thread, called Ancient Forum History from 2006/2007 still bookmarked specifically as a reminder of how much things have changed since then.

Oof.

Why did I click this.

I think it's kind of interesting

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited April 2023

My Little Man is two years away from being able to sign up for these forums, and has already expressed an interest because you people know things about Undertale and Mega Man that he didn't

And my Sophie's Choice is 1. Just pretend social media doesn't exist until he's eighteen, 2. Trust him to find his own way, and hope that he finds a community that isn't mainly incels or nazis or, 3. Let him, and have him eventually learn about the search function, and then everytime I try to be his father he can go "pretty strong talk from the guy who said "all **** were probably **** and **** it if they thought about it""

So really I'm left with only one option

i7iguled3n0g.png

mrpaku on
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited April 2023
    mrpaku wrote: »

My Little Man is two years away from being able to sign up for these forums, and has already expressed an interest because you people know things about Undertale and Mega Man that he didn't

And my Sophie's Choice is 1. Just pretend social media doesn't exist until he's eighteen, 2. Trust him to find his own way, and hope that he finds a community that isn't mainly incels or nazis or, 3. Let him, and have him eventually learn about the search function, and then everytime I try to be his father he can go "pretty strong talk from the guy who said "all **** were probably **** and **** it if they thought about it""

i7iguled3n0g.png

Godspeed.

sarukun on
  • H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Apparently my account was only made in 2009. I spent a number of years lurking without making an account, but I didn't realize how late I waited to actually make an account. I know for sure I was reading the forums back in high school around 05/06.

I've said it before but I'm real glad how the culture of this place has changed, especially SE++, and how it kinda dragged me along with it into becoming a not quite as shit person as I used to be.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • see317see317 Registered User regular

i7iguled3n0g.png

Remember to fill your pockets with rocks to help you sink.

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular

i7iguled3n0g.png

"Yes, and now the foolishness of my youth is forever displayed for all to mock and caper at, preserved like unto a mosquito in amber. I am trying to spare you this fate."

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

i7iguled3n0g.png

"Yes, and now the foolishness of my youth is forever displayed for all to mock and caper at, preserved like unto a mosquito in amber. I am trying to spare you this fate."

Blinking out sadly on a computer screen as the final power grid falls: "Look upon my hottakes, ye Posters, and lol, lmfao"

• Bizzaro StormyBizzaro Stormy I am Bizzaro Stormy. I am Bizzaro Stormy.Registered User regular
    sjtpw7liqgns.png

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I think I’ve only been nice the whole time I’ve been here, and humble, so very humble.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited April 2023
    Some of the photoshops stay with me

6qll7jijesg9.png

Like when someone edited this down to "Ron Paul!" in the era that D&D got continual new members who went into any thread to spread the gold standard/ron paul bullshit

And somehow in the 15 year since things have gotten much worse, since those guys are now alt-right, crypto, muskbros

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

i7iguled3n0g.png

Blinking out sadly on a computer screen as the final power grid falls: "Look upon my hottakes, ye Posters, and lol, lmfao"

And then it just fades to Matrix code and static, right?

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

Oof.

Why did I click this.

Every time I see an old thread I also see a substantial number of people in those threads marked as banned.

Can't imagine why

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    BYvbiy6.gif

Kelet…not BUNCHIE!

I still don’t care what the guy who created them says!

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    dosibtkeqocj.png

First thread I have bookmarked was LewieP's Mummy painting stuff.

Then old toy threads, now a deserted wasteland of broken image links.

I thought Tube was a piece of shit, but that time he renamed himself "LewieP's Stepdad" is probably the funniest thing to ever happen on this forum.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    dosibtkeqocj.png

I thought Tube was a piece of shit, but that time he renamed himself "LewieP's Stepdad" is probably the funniest thing to ever happen on this forum.

Maybe this isn't the best avenue to talk smack about former site admins.

z48g7weaopj2.png
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    dosibtkeqocj.png

I can't imagine a thread better suited for it than one talking about the forums past.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    dosibtkeqocj.png

I can't imagine a thread better suited for it than one talking about the forums past.

Well, the idea was positivity... maybe it's not suited for any thread at all.

z48g7weaopj2.png
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    dosibtkeqocj.png

It could be argued that any meaningful dip into this forum's past is inherently at odds with "positivity"

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    dosibtkeqocj.png

It could be argued that any meaningful dip into this forum's past is inherently at odds with "positivity"

There was that one thread about how otter pops are great, that for whatever reason burned the phrase "fuck yeah, otter pops" so deeply into my brain that I will say it unprompted and receive strange looks.

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I mean really, what did he do for us?

What's that? Somehow turned a videogame webcomic forum into an actual community while keeping out gg/protorightwing chuds during their rise that occurred largely on online gaming related spaces?

What a doofus

• UrielUriel Registered User regular
    This place sucked to try to grow up in honestly, maybe the entire internet was like that in the aughts.

What it is now is a at least partially trauma bonding I think honestly

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Tube could be petty and had a somewhat mean-spirited sense of humor, but he did so much tangible good for this place that I think it's hard not to say he was a great admin on balance.

No one's a wholly unalloyed good or bad person.

• GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

What's that? Somehow turned a videogame webcomic forum into an actual community while keeping out gg/protorightwing chuds during their rise that occurred largely on online gaming related spaces?

What a doofus

He created a queer friendly space inside those same atmospheres and did so long before you could expect it to be the norm. The jerk.

edited April 2023

What a doofus

Sure but in a context of discussing ancient forum past there are gonna be folks who had negative personal interactions with the dude and don't really owe him any personal-level grace

20 years is a long time and some folks have relationships messier than Holiday Forum hagiography might allow, he doesn't post here anymore, maybe the harm isn't especially great in a tossed off aside here or there

Poorochondriac on

What a doofus

Sure but in a context of discussing ancient forum past there are gonna be folks who had negative personal interactions with the dude and don't really owe him any personal-level grace

20 years is a long time and some folks have relationships messier than Holiday Forum hagiography might allow, he doesn't post here anymore, maybe the harm isn't especially great in a tossed off aside here or there

I think insulting someone is generally a pretty harmful thing to do.

z48g7weaopj2.png
    This place sucked to try to grow up in honestly, maybe the entire internet was like that in the aughts.

What it is now is a at least partially trauma bonding I think honestly

That would be an accurate statement about MOST of the internet in those days. There were a few places that weren't that, but they were predominantly the exception rather than the rule.

Here is a place that managed to claw it's way out to the point is now. A lot of places also didn't survive the gamergate wave.

Steam

What a doofus

I don't think a vague "dude sucks" said somewhere I can't read it does me any harm at all

What a doofus

I don't think a vague "dude sucks" said somewhere I can't read it does me any harm at all

I don't think that was vague at all, but whatever. I think it's uncalled for.

z48g7weaopj2.png
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular

What a doofus

Oh for sure. I took a while to hit post on that, got distracted, so it was intended to go more directly under the original comment and just be a flippant remark. Regardless of that, I agree with you in general.

Overall, overwhelmingly positive. Individually, sometimes not. Imo obviously

Goosery is still part of my lexicon when describing bullshit. Even IRL.

Steam
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular

What a doofus

I don't think that was vague at all, but whatever. I think it's uncalled for.

I believe Pooro meant vague as in not listing all the things that make him suck.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Tube was self-admittedly a dick. He said he was a dick many times. In his big rules post, he said "I'm a dick." I feel like saying "Tube was kind of a dickhead at times" is not exactly controversial.