We have a new update on The Future of the Penny Arcade Forums.

Forum memoria

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Tube was self-admittedly a dick. He said he was a dick many times. In his big rules post, he said "I'm a dick." I feel like saying "Tube was kind of a dickhead at times" is not exactly controversial.

Well, we went three whole pages without it, I guess there's that.

z48g7weaopj2.png
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Tube was self-admittedly a dick. He said he was a dick many times. In his big rules post, he said "I'm a dick." I feel like saying "Tube was kind of a dickhead at times" is not exactly controversial.

I mean if it makes you feel better Smoke Stacks isn't exactly held in the highest regards by people.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I think that this forum, if anything, probably could do with more talking out unresolved past issues rather than less.

Also come on we all love a bit of old forum drama shit

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I mostly just like to reminisce on the many positive things I've encountered over the past couple decades than the handful of negatives.

z48g7weaopj2.png
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited April 2023
    I think that this forum, if anything, probably could do with more talking out unresolved past issues rather than less.

Seeing an admitted sexual assault perpetrator get shouted off instead of being allowed to slink back in because of Manners completely ruled and was good

(To be clear, that was referencing pkmoutl - not meaning to imply even by proximity that Tube is being referenced, there. I didn't love the guy but didn't hate him, and I wouldn't talk THAT kind of shit without reason)

Poorochondriac on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I mostly just like to reminisce on the many positive things I've encountered over the past couple decades than the handful of negatives.

I mean. The old stuff was fun. But a lot of it was terrible. And a lot of that overlaps.

I dunno. The forums have deep hooks in people. Even now there is a big argument over what they should be and could be, and what kind of views should be welcome etc etc etc, like the forum ultimately is a very old place with a lot of relevance to some people and a lot of experiences and I think it's somewhat silly to pretend that it hasn't been actually good, bad, awful, amazing, terrible, hilarious etc and that all those things inform each other a lot.

On the simplest level as an example; Tube was often pretty fun, and a big part of that was that he was kind of a dick, and he knew it. Some people liked that. For others it bounced hard. C'est la vie

• Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    Magell wrote: »

I mean if it makes you feel better Smoke Stacks isn't exactly held in the highest regards by people.

being called a piece of shit by smoke stacks would probably make tube laugh, so like there's literally no harm done

Kristmas Kthulhu on

I mean. The old stuff was fun. But a lot of it was terrible. And a lot of that overlaps.

I dunno. The forums have deep hooks in people. Even now there is a big argument over what they should be and could be, and what kind of views should be welcome etc etc etc, like the forum ultimately is a very old place with a lot of relevance to some people and a lot of experiences and I think it's somewhat silly to pretend that it hasn't been actually good, bad, awful, amazing, terrible, hilarious etc and that all those things inform each other a lot.

On the simplest level as an example; Tube was often pretty fun, and a big part of that was that he was kind of a dick, and he knew it. Some people liked that. For others it bounced hard. C'est la vie

In my experience, he was only a dick to people who deserved it, but his heart was always firmly in the right place, and had zero tolerance for hatred or intolerance.

Also, he has a biblical knowledge of V:TM, so I always had(and still have) mad respect for that.

z48g7weaopj2.png
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I think Tube was an asshole, sometimes needlessly so, to a lot of people and also he is responsible for shifting this forum to a much more welcoming space for just about everyone.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    True as I find that on the forums, the one time I talked to him in person, he was perfectly pleasant and genuinely nice to talk to.
    I have no idea if he knew who I was.

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Is the pic of his reaction post to some charity event that changed his avatar and post profile for a year still around? Something something "when your mothers finds out what you've been doing with their credit cards..."

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I am actual RL friends with Tube, I accidentally ended up on a road trip from Vegas to LA with him, he waited while I peed behind a dumpster in a Seattle alley. We're not super close but I would say I'm on good terms with him, if nothing else.

He's also the one who changed my handle without asking because he thought he'd come up with WeedLordVegeta's username and got annoyed when I pointed out that it was actually me, and just like the rest of us he could be extremely acerbic and petty and overly dramatic in his younger days.

I have nothing but respect for the dude and everything he did for the forum but have no problem acknowledging that he could also sometimes (especially back in the day) be a total dick. We all could! And I guarantee he'd cop to all of it today if you asked him. It's just a bit of reminiscing, not like...trying to burn the guy down.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited April 2023

Seeing an admitted sexual assault perpetrator get shouted off instead of being allowed to slink back in because of Manners completely ruled and was good

(To be clear, that was referencing pkmoutl - not meaning to imply even by proximity that Tube is being referenced, there. I didn't love the guy but didn't hate him, and I wouldn't talk THAT kind of shit without reason)

Yeah, that ruled, and @Cello shouting them out of every thread they popped up in has to go on this year’s Forum Greatest Hits collection.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    For the right price I'll DM anybody a list of the users on the forums that I think are dicks.

• KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator Mod Emeritus
    what in the fuck is a bookmark

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Knob wrote: »

A term that has about as much current day relevance as using a floppy disk icon for saving files.

A term that has about as much current day relevance as using a floppy disk icon for saving files.

what in the fuck is a floppy disk

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

a poorly designed frisbee

someone should invent a portable music player that plays flexi-discs

pjf3a83ccvt4.jpg

it would be called a floppy discman

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

after your time, old man.

it would be called a floppy discman

Someone should definitely manufacture a run of these floppies discman.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »

a poorly designed frisbee

Oh those things from the halcyon days of children being able to play outside?

• BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Going through the disordered memories gave me some fond memories of joining back in 2011 through the Mass Effect threads and later beginning my journey into Modded minecraft ran by forumers and the silly badge I made for crashing the server atleast once.

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    KvwgJCC.jpg

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    KvwgJCC.jpg

I wonder how much crossover there was between SE+ and the 910CMX forums, though at the time it was probably still called the Wotch forums. Because this kind of image was par for the course in those writing subforums at the same time as SE+ apparently.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

I knew him well before a lot of you knew this forum even existed.
    Magell wrote: »

I mean, there is that. No accounting for taste, after all. Every time I get into a multi page discussion with some of you it feels a lot like being a Judge who has taken the Long Walk.

Honestly though, in terms of assigning value to your opinions... you are all internet people. That means you're not real. The entire point of your existence is to benefit me with knowledge or entertainment. You dance around for me, or you show me things, or you answer my questions until I am satisfied. Then, I close a tab and you all disappear. You no longer exist. You are formless, trapped in limbo until such time as I decide to summon you again.
    Technically that's just my LARP character.

RIP Cronyx Ravage, we hardly knew ye.

He died as you lived, routinely the target of unwarranted aggro.
    Like some infernal modus operandi

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i mean yeah that's a good example as to why everyone thinks you're a prick

liEt3nH.png
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Actually I'm in a mood now so I'll share some old forum stuff. I don't remember where they came from, but enjoy:

2bhkbds53ohi.jpg
    zkooa74ou3ss.jpg

f9m42omzqyvh.jpg

Lady Eri, talk about a ghost... she'd show up for a Phalla, drop insane levels of planning and science, then vanish into the ether. One of the most dangerous players around.

z48g7weaopj2.png
    tynic wrote: »

after your time, old man.

my first computer had a cassette tape drive and we liked it just fine

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/5791/look-at-this-bear

This seems to be the URL, as modern as I can find it, probably locked away somehow.
    (It's kind of a white whale.)

z48g7weaopj2.png
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Mother of god, the old layout

I… I miss it so

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited April 2023

In my experience, he was only a dick to people who deserved it, but his heart was always firmly in the right place, and had zero tolerance for hatred or intolerance.

Also, he has a biblical knowledge of V:TM, so I always had(and still have) mad respect for that.

You should TOTALLY check out Mage of Sail, by the by. He built his own 5th Ed Mage rules because NO ONE FUCKING ELSE IS, PARADOX.

MechMantis on
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    White text on a blue background. Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
    FCD wrote: »

Read the forums on your phone at work like everyone else and you don’t have to worry about remembering.

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    In retrospect, the Cronyx Meltdown was tied for the apotheosis moment in this forum's ignominious history of dogpiling people until they either flamed out and left, or were banned. Deeply ironic that the chief instigator/agitator was The Far Side, who herself would later be banned from the forums for the sum total of her localized social sins.

This place used to be real fucked up, I tell you what.

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    FCD wrote: »

Read the forums on your phone at work like everyone else and you don’t have to worry about remembering.

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/156057/unofficial-forum-stylesheet-ye-olde-style/p1 still works, somehow

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i just came here to play phalla and what do you mean it’s been 15 years