As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat]al warming

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I tried listening to that speech posted up by tycho a while back from the last PAX. The one that was supposed to be so affirming to all geeks. I had to turn it off after like 5 minutes.

I am so tired of the wah poor me persecuted geek bullcrap. If you got picked on in highschool it wasn't because you were a geek, it's because you sucked.

Did you pick on socially awkward kids during HS?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Doc wrote: »
    My name is Steve.

That's a god damned lie... Or so my brain tells me.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Janson wrote: »
    Maybe should I post my clothes in the fashion thread

It's all rather boring

Plain coloured skirts/trousers with long-sleeved, plain coloured v-neck (mostly) tops.

I think you should. That would be a huge step up from what has been posted in the last 2-3 pages.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    LaOs wrote: »
    Thinatos wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »
    So I just went browsing for Christmas gifts.

What my dad wants will cost around $115. What my mom wants will cost around $10. I'll see if I can talk her into another gift, one that's at least worth 10% of my dad's gift's value :P
    Hey Richy, I saw an ad in a flyer for a set of poker chips. 30 bucks for the case, chips, two decks of cards--your basic 500 chip set. Would you like me to grab that for you?
    Plastic or clay?
    I forget. I know they were 11.5 gram, though. I could send to you, if you'd like.
    Oh, wait, Canadian, nevermind.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My name is Steve.
    My Name is Jonas.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    I tried listening to that speech posted up by tycho a while back from the last PAX. The one that was supposed to be so affirming to all geeks. I had to turn it off after like 5 minutes.

I am so tired of the wah poor me persecuted geek bullcrap. If you got picked on in highschool it wasn't because you were a geek, it's because you sucked.
    I tried to avoid socially awkward kids during HS, because it was horribly uncomfortable talking to them.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

No, I spent a good portion of highschool (and junior highschool, for that matter) trying to integrate my social awkward group of friends with my non-socially awkward group of friends.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007

The Wil Wheaton one? I agree. I'm extremely hesitant to define myself as "a gamer," because there are a lot of things that I'm talented at that are more interesting than video games.

Doc on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Man maybe my highschool wasn't the norm but I didn't see that much picking on. I mean the blacks fought the latinos a lot but hey whatever. If someone doesn't like you I feel like they're more likely to just ignore you.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I loved Pax, but i went with 4 RL friends and we pretty much just wandered around taking it all in, playing Free play, etc. Definately had a blast though.

I usually refer to net people by their net names, the one exception being a guy i met in WoW, who i now refer to by his real name but that's cause we talk more on Gmail than in WoW so more often i'm talking to Doug instead of Shinstabber.

My RL friend i've known for a couple years has refered to me as my WoW character name before. That was a sad moment for him.

JPants on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2007
    My name is Steve.

Doctor Steve?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I was an asshole in highschool, so yeah any social ribbing I took was because of my personality.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Preacher wrote: »
    My name is Steve.

My name's Jon and no one, not even people from online that I've met, have called me Nova. I only hear that on TS or something. My guild calls me Wrae (Check my list of chars in my sig), but it's the same as Ray, so I don't feel emasculated. :P

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    If anyone called me any of my internet handles over my real name I'd probably give them a very blank stare.

Can I call you Quizzy? You should answer to Quizzy.

You guys can all call me Irene if we ever meet. I like that better than my real name, anyway. Or you can call me Rhia, which people from my guild still do, which I also like better than my real name. Basically, my real name sucks.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

No, I spent a good portion of highschool (and junior highschool, for that matter) trying to integrate my social awkward group of friends with my non-socially awkward group of friends.

Oh God. Attempting to have some people who don't usually hang out play Axis and Allies or football were the most amusing/frustrating moments of my life back in the day. Just have fun jerks!

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    My name is Steve.

Your brain does not lie, but neither do I. When you knew me, I was still going by my middle name. :P

Doc on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    My real name is Jordan, I have a funny story how I came by that name.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

The Wil Wheaton one? I agree. I'm extremely hesitant to define myself as "a gamer," because there are a lot of things that I'm talented at that are more interesting than video games.

Yeah, that's the one. I just couldn't handle that much false persecution crap.

Irene: you can call me whatever you want, hot lips :winky:

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »
    When you guys meet up at PAX do you call everyone by their real names or continue to refer to them by their forum names out of habit?

When Shinto and I met fightinfilipino and a few other guys, we all introduced ourselves with our internet names and our real names. fightinfilipino referrred to it as a "retarded Matrix moment" which I thought was awesome.

Anyways, my internet name and real name are about the same. Jeff and Eddy have that going for them as well.

Me too.

If your name is actually "Krunk" then you have risen several notches in my esteem.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

What my dad wants will cost around $115. What my mom wants will cost around $10. I'll see if I can talk her into another gift, one that's at least worth 10% of my dad's gift's value :P
    Hey Richy, I saw an ad in a flyer for a set of poker chips. 30 bucks for the case, chips, two decks of cards--your basic 500 chip set. Would you like me to grab that for you?
    Plastic or clay?
    I forget. I know they were 11.5 gram, though. I could send to you, if you'd like.
    Oh, wait, Canadian, nevermind.

What do you mean?

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Also, both of my handles on the net (this one, and Alex) are my "real" names. JPants is my nickname irl and Alexander is my middle name.

JPants on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    My name is Steve.

Doctor Steve?
    Doctor Angry Steve.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    My name is Steve.

Your brain does not lie, but neither do I. When you knew me, I was still going by my middle name. :P

Ahh which is funny I never think of you as doc on the forums just Andy, and if I got your name confused with your roommate I am so sorry.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    NIB on the drums is soooo much fun. I wonder how long it's going to take for someone to knock on my door and tell me I'm violating the quiet hours.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    If anyone called me any of my internet handles over my real name I'd probably give them a very blank stare.

Can I call you Quizzy? You should answer to Quizzy.

You guys can all call me Irene if we ever meet. I like that better than my real name, anyway. Or you can call me Rhia, which people from my guild still do, which I also like better than my real name. Basically, my real name sucks.

Jennifer?

It's Jennifer, isn't it.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

$30? That's really not expensive... yeah, I'd wonder if they're plastic or clay too.

What store is selling them? Do they have a website?

And thanks for the offer, but if you grab them for me, what will you do with them? The case is heavy, sending it by mail will cost as much as the case itself (I assume; I have no experience shipping stuff, but I believe it's expensive).

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2007

My boyfriend was named after some billboard ad for mechanics or storage or something.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Does a certain NBA All Star by the name of Michael have anything to do with it?

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I was an asshole in highschool, so yeah any social ribbing I took was because of my personality.

Preacher? An asshole? No way!
    Ha, there's no need for a spoiler here.
    It's OK, I'm an asshole too.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    JPants wrote: »
    Also, both of my handles on the net (this one, and Alex) are my "real" names. JPants is my nickname irl and Alexander is my middle name.

H5. Same here, real classy middlename ain't it?

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Jennifer?

It's Jennifer, isn't it.

No. Though that does seem to be a common Asian-American name. I kept my Chinese name when I immigrated. The pinyin spelling, too, so a lot of people mispronounce it.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Danigt

I wanted to send some bojangle's sweet tea to a friend of mine but I just realized it would probably go bad if not refrigerated.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    I hope it was the New Kid on the Block.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Nah being born in 82 to two white bread parents living in spokane that doesn't even factor in. I was named after a soap opera villain (Jordan Scott), my parents were told that both my brother and myself were going to be girls based on heart beat so they were caught off guard by boys both times and names were kind of hasty.

I know Krunk, how far I have advanced from my high school days.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I use my name as my handle, so much easier. And woo e-fame.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Leitner wrote: »
    JPants wrote: »

H5. Same here, real classy middlename ain't it?

Seriously. I love it.

JPants on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Danigt

I wanted to send some bojangle's sweet tea to a friend of mine but I just realized it would probably go bad if not refrigerated.

Pack it in dry ice.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I do not like being called internet names becasue I'm a pretty different person IRL

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

My boyfriend was named after some billboard ad for mechanics or storage or something.

I have the most adorable naming story ever.

My brothers named me after edward the engine on Thomas the Tank Engine because I was the youngest, and thus the 'littlest engine,' like Edward the Engine!

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    My XBox Live tag is "Angry Steve" because that's a nickname in real life.

Doc on
This discussion has been closed.