As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Belts On] The World Ends With You

randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Games and Technology
I've noticed a severe lack of discussion about this game despite it being so close to release. Lost in the sea of Crisis Core buzz perhaps?

935689_98195_front.jpg

Also known as It's a Wonderful World or That DS game by the Kingdom Hearts Guy.

Who cares about boxes! What's the story?
Wikipedia states
Wikipedia wrote:
Neku Sakuraba, a 15 year-old boy with a hobby for music and graffiti, wakes up in what seems to be the Shibuya shopping district of Tokyo, Japan. With no idea why he's there, he opens his hand to realize he is holding a strange black pin. After flipping it with his hand, the thoughts of the people surrounding him began to flow into his head at once. Surprised, Neku discovers he is able to read the minds of others, and assumes it has something to do with the black pin he is holding.
A cellphone starts to ring in his pocket, and he can't tell whether it is his or not. A text message appears: "Reach 104. You have 60 minutes. Fail, and face erasure. -The Reapers". After discovering he can't delete the message, a timer of 60 minutes imprints onto his right hand. Neku is in Shibuya to play the "Reapers' Game", which spans a total of 7 days. All Players of the Reapers' Game have a black pin with a skull embedded on it. The Reapers' Game has certain rules, which prevent him from leaving the Shibuya district. If Neku doesn't complete the game, he will be stricken from existence along with Shiki Misaki, a girl who is another Player in the game. Shiki and Neku forge a pact to work together with her for the week.
The Reapers monitor the duo's actions and invite them to dangerous and difficult tasks. In order to survive, Neku and Shiki have to defeat the "Noise", physical manifestations of people's negative thoughts and feelings. The Noise are based on animals such as pigeons, wolves, and bears and can also take the forms of objects and historical monuments in Shibuya. Neku's psychic talents are essential not only to gather clues and hints from the people, but to also detect the Noise that sweep through the roads of Shibuya. During their week in Shibuya, Neku and Shiki run into other people who have become involved in the Reapers' Game.

TL;DR
If you were to think of what would happen if Kingdom Hearts and Jet Set Radio had a lovebaby that was more serious and darker then it's parents you wouldn't be too far off. Theres a fairly hefty amount of violence and swearing for a game of this style but it all works well given the source material. The characters are actually pretty interesting and the game is translated very well. Though if you are one who hates anything related to Japanese culture then this game isn't for you. It borrows heavily from the underground atmosphere the game's local is known for.
Story shmory! How's it play?
This game is a lot like recent release FF7 : Crisis Core. It's broken up into linear chapters where you watch a cutscene, run around in a series of areas, and fight some random monsters. The twist comes from the Reaper's Game. In each 'chapter' you are given an general overall mission like the aformentioned "Reach building 104." If you fail to complete a mission in the time it gives you.. well you gotta reload from the last time you saved. Luckily your cellphone has a clock on it so you always can keep track of the time. Though it's never as simple as just walking down the street to your mission objective, thanks to the Reapers who stand in your way. They do this by sending monsters called Noise (yes like static noise) at you.
Which brings you to the games most interesting feature.

The battle system.

Now this game uses both the stylus for battle and the d-pad with the L or R buttons. And you use both to control the two characters simultaneously. On the bottom screen you control one of the main characters, Neku, and on the top you control the second main character, Shiki. Neku uses the touch screen to attack his enemies depending on the type of pins he has equiped. Some allow you to draw a line through your enemies to slash them like a sword swing and some allow you to tap an enemy to shoot a blast at them. Shiki, being on the top screen, uses psychokinesis on her stuffed animal to attack enemies in with a combo system. Depending on how well you combo with Shiki you can unleash a combined attack with both characters in a cinematic special move.
Whats important about the two screens are that Shiki does not show up on the bottom screen and vice versa. The enemies aren't in the same spots on either screen, however if one enemy is on the bottom screen he will also be on the top screen and enemies on both screens share the same health bar. So if tactics is your thing you can attack the same enemy with both characters at once to decimate them.

So I just spam the attack stylus command and chug potions?
Not quite. Like I said Neku's attacks are determined by which pins he has equipped. As you progress you might find good pins dropped from random monsters, or bought in stores. But if you want to get ahead of the game you can level up your pins and even evolve them into better pins. Each pin has it's own XP bar that increases 3 different ways. By using it in battle, while you aren't playing the game (yes the game will level you up while you have it shut down upto 7 days worth of xp), and by using the WiFi trading system. Pins level up different ways too, some might increase their damage when you level them up, and some might let you use them more often in battle.

Luckily the game has it's own pokedex in the game that lists which monster drops what and at what level, and since it also tells you the drop rates for the items you found. It keeps grinding to a minimum. And if something still isn't dropping enough awesome loot you can decrease your level and turn up the difficulty to increase the drop rate and change the item drops.

It's nice to be able to pick when you want a hard fight for maximum loots and when you want to just get on with the story.

Thats great and all but how does it look?
One word.
Outstanding.

Much like the GBA Kingdom Hearts game this is almost entirely a 2d game. It uses 2d sprites for all the characters and objects in the world, laid on top of a panoramic 3d background.
Check out these images for proof.
243px-gameplay_screen.PNG

its-a-wonderful-world-20070806061129074.jpg
itsawonderfulworld_00.jpg
06.gif
its-a-wonderful-world-20070806061135292.jpg
Looks are for shallow people! What about the sound!?
The World Ends With You features fully vocialized music tracks for almost every song. If you are a fan of Jet Set Radio and Hip/Hop/J-Pop then you won't be disappointed here. If you aren't well give it shot because some of the songs are pretty damn catchy. How about an example? Characters also have voice work but only for a few key lines and battle commentary. If you were to ask me I'd say everyone's voice fits them well and there doesn't seem to be any terrible Capcom quality dialog.

All in all your standard high quality work I think everyone expects from SquareEnix now a days..

But I hate belts and zippers!
Actually despite the what the topic says the KH/FF costumes made entirely out of belts and zippers are not present in this game. The main character even comments on his lack of zippers during a few of the dialog scenes.

So rest easy this game is light on the retarded costumes and for the most part people wear normal clothes.

Ok sounds great! When does this come out?
If you happen to live in Japan then last year.
If you happen to live in the UK then RIGHT NOW! Shocking but yes the UK actually gets this before the states!
If you live in the USA then Also right now! : For those looking to get this with out the SquareEnix price hike you can pick it up on sale at Circuit City for 30$
If you live in Australia.. hahaha why are you playing games!?
Sorry Australia... :( Gaming companies just don't like you. But i still do..

itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
I never asked for this!
randombattle on

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This game looks cool and I want to play it.

The battle system sounds fun, and reminds me of some Mega Man-esque game that I remember seeing a preview of like a year ago but never heard anything since. It was like Chronos Twins or something.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm purchasing this based on Art/Design alone.

Reminds me of Jet Set Radio

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Thank God I dont' have a DS or I'd be buying games every other fucking day. That is the sole reason I haven't purchased one. Too many games.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    You could always not buy games the second they come out...

But for this yeah you would be kind of fucked. If you own a DS you should own this game. No questions about it.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hmm, looks moderately interesting. I might consider it if it weren't for the $5 Square-Enix DS surcharge.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So rest easy this game is light on the retarded costumes and for the most part people wear normal clothes.

Might wanna look at that box art again.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

I said for the most part.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The title of the game sounds really awesome to me for some reason. I might pick this up. I haven't played the DS in a while.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    @ Randombattle
    out... now...
    in the uk?...
    probably then it's out here in Ireland...

YOU FUCKING BASTARD!!! I THOUGHT I HAD SETTLED INTO A NICE, NON-GAMES-BUYING EQUILIBRIUM WHERE I CAN CONTENTEDLY PLAY AND ENJOY THE GAMES I ALREADY HAVE, WITHOUT THAT CONSTANT THIRST FOR MORE!!! AND NOW...THIS? WHY WOULD YOU BRING SUCH A THING TO OUR ATTENTION? (caps)
    P.S. Thanks for the heads-up; will pick it up this week.

DusT_HounD on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Honestly, compared to the normal Beltanzipper designs that Nomura throws around with wild abandon, these are pretty goddamn subdued.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Honestly, compared to the normal Beltanzipper designs that Nomura throws around with wild abandon, these are pretty goddamn subdued.

I still think the giant pizzacutter sword with what looked like a stack of pizzas in a belt holder was hilarious.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This game will own so much.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I still think the giant pizzacutter sword with what looked like a stack of pizzas in a belt holder was hilarious.

Not actually Nomura design (at least I don't think so, it seems someone named Ryoma Ito did them), but yes, as far as unfortunate character designs go, his may actually overshadow Nomura's, adding belts and zippers to much loved, unzippered characters notwithstanding...
    fftafashionei2.jpg

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This spring/summer is absolutely chock a block with good shit from Square.

ERAU QSSI DLRO WEHT

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I will save this game for later in the summer, when I've poked my head out from under my backlog and recovered from paying off my vacation. I'm still not entirely certain how the game actually plays, but given how great Crisis Core is and how intriguing the design and concept of this game sound, I'll likely pick it up then when it gets some kind of price drop or other sort of sale.

Everyone gives S-E shit for rehashing/recycling, but personally I've always enjoyed the massive spread of differences in play and atmosphere from their titles, even more so in the past few months.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dooooo want. Actually, I've been looking forward to this game for a while. I can't help but believe it will be Kingdom Hearts 2 without the random Square and Disney cameo's, which I personally believe will be a good thing. Don't get me wrong though, I love KH2, I just thought the cameo aspect of the game got a little tiresome after a while. Well, beyond goofy, donald and mickey that is.

Anyways, like Maximum Zero, I think my main reason for wanting this game is mostly for the awesome art style. I just love the look!

Lovely on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Pixel BluePixel Blue Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    -

Pixel Blue on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    This game also has some really rockin tunes.

J-rockin or bopin, but still.

Let's just say that the characters fit the game really well, and from the little I played of it was quite frantic and fun.

Interesting stuff at the SE site for once!

http://member.square-enix.com/na/features/wewy/02/

http://member.square-enix.com/na/features/wewy/

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Pixel Blue wrote: »
    Also: WTF is up with that girl's hips?

mmmm... Hips. Loves me some hips.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Hips hell, skirts are not meant to be worn that low.

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    That cover makes me think of some sort of awesome "pwning" Playstation game.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    Hips hell, skirts are not meant to be worn that low.

Is that a skirt? I thought it was jean shorts... those things are painted on nowadays anyway.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Im buying this for the fact that it is out in the UK first and anything I can get up on those damn Australians is worth every penny.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sounds interesting. I'll wait for people's impressions on it, though.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    http://member.square-enix.com/na/features/wewy/

Link to a roundtable discussion and chapter 1 of the official 2 chapter manga.

Also the OST will aparently be DLable from iTunes or the SE E-Store.

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Im buying this for the fact that it is out in the UK first and anything I can get up on those damn Australians is worth every penny.

It's a vicious cycle.

People in Japan (at least the fuckers I know) lord over me the fact that they get all the games I want to play months in advance, sometimes sending me scraps that they are done with.

I, being an American, take this anger and hold it over the Europeans. This was especially fun to use on Euro Nintendo fans, as some shit took years to come out if at all.

Now we have proof that at least one person is doing the same thing to the ultimate video game bitch of them all.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Who does Australia lord it over then?

Brazil?

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Is this going for the usual 'I'm Square so give me your extra money you fuckers' premium DS pricepoint? Because if so they can just fuck right off and I'll buy it used from amazon on principle. Otherwise, DO WANT.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Saw this in town today and did think about getting it.
    Hmmm.
    Reviews are remarkably positive, too.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    reviews up at Gamespot/IGN already, or just at their UK counterparts? I will investigate.

EDIT: A fairly glowing review from IGN UK: http://ds.ign.com/articles/865/865109p1.html

8.9 / 10, with a "buy this game" recommendation.

I'm still going to wait to hear what you folks have to say, but I'm basically sold on this game. It looks like a total blast.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Im still waiting for Professor Layton.

Will this game be enough compensation?

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I wonder if this game will have lots of the...

*cough*
    "YOUR LIGHT HEART'S LIGHT WILL BE FILLED WITH A DARK HEART'S LIGHT AND YOUR HEART SHALL BECOME DARKENED WITH THE HEART OF DARKNESS ABLOOBLOOBLOOBLOO"

...charming dialog similar to Kingdom Hearts?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Cantido wrote: »

*cough*
    "YOUR LIGHT HEART'S LIGHT WILL BE FILLED WITH A DARK HEART'S LIGHT AND YOUR HEART SHALL BECOME DARKENED WITH THE HEART OF DARKNESS ABLOOBLOOBLOOBLOO"

Well it seems to me that darkness hearts dark darkness hearts Kingdom Hearts dark.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited April 2008

*cough*

I'm a few hours into it and it's written quite normally. There hasn't be any really ridiculous "I SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE ONE TO FILL YOUR DARK SOUL WITH LIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!!" type scenes. Which does make sense seeing how the main characters are just supposed to be normal people so its right for them to talk like normal people and not go on about dark light dark hearts of light darkness.

I can honestly say this is probably my favorite DS game I've played so far.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Good to hear.

Also, their schools need a uniform policy somethin' fierce.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Schools in Japan do have a uniform policy. :P

This isn't about the stereotypical super powered school students.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Maybe they fight conformity instead of darkness.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Maybe they fight conformity instead of darkness.

They fight grim reapers.
    Because they are all dead and competing for a second chance at being alive.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I haven't been able to tell from reviews: is there a lefty control option using the buttons in place of the d-pad for the second part of the controls? I'm lusting after this game enough to buy it even at the Square premium price, as long as that option's available. It's pretty standard for DS game like this, but you never know.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Haven't got me an English copy yet but I bought the import and played it all the way through in moon language a while back and... my God it's good. Way too easy by default unless you intentionally handicap yourself, and it's disappointing that your clothes don't actually affect how your character looks on screen but other than that I loved it to bits. From the videos of the localisation I'm so, so very not enamored of that ridiculous "I'M DIGGIN' IT!!!!1!!1!!!" soundbite in the battles, but other than that I want a second copy of this badly.

Seriously, it's very, very good. Unless you have some pathological aversion to anything Nomura's touched - "BOOTS ZIPPERS LOL" idiots stay away, in other words - you should play this. The stylus controls alone pound Phantom Hourglass into a small hole in the ground and leave it there whimpering in shame. Looks and sounds beautiful, hugely distinctive, tremendous fun to play, tons of stuff to collect... buy it, so Squenix make more of this kind of thing. They're treating the DS like royalty at the moment and I don't want it to stop any time soon.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)