As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Through the Looking Glass [PHOTO THREAD]

• Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    anable - 1 is really pretty while 2 and 3 just don't do much for me. I’m pretty fond of 1, though.

Long, those thunderheads are pretty damn groovy.

Jake - Only the first shot is doing much for me, though 1 is just gorgeous. The second and third shots aren’t particularly interesting, and the fourth feels like a study in bokeh with dull light. The last one has some potential, but I’m a bit puzzled by the destructive framing that lops off portions of wheels.

I attended a family gathering this weekend. As luck would have it, my aunt brought her old Pentax ME along with her and let me fire off a few rolls of film with it. As this was the first time I’ve ever shot with a proper film camera, I fell in love. Film cameras are so lovely small and quiet with such bloody gigantic viewfinders, I knew I just had to have one.

And as luck would have it, I stumbled onto a Pentax LX for $270 after a few hours of casual searching today. As this is about $200 under what this body usually goes for, and is from a very reputable merchant in Canada, it was promptly ordered and should arrive in a week or two. Very exciting. Now, to find a good 35mm prime to accompany my 50mm f/1.4 that will spend most of its time mounted to my new baby.

I also took some shots with my K10D at the family gathering.

2644116687_c0d5b147ef.jpg

2644941816_9dbd0dd65d.jpg

2644115217_97bd39fd83.jpg

2644118679_938f42ffcb.jpg

2644114671_5a2a3c06f9.jpg

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Uncle Long wrote: »
    saltiness wrote: »
    Hey Uncle Long, did you ever get that Tokina 12-24mm lens? I'm planning on ordering a super wide and some lights tomorrow or Monday and I still need to make the decision between the Tokina or the Sigma 10-20mm. Right now I'm leaning toward the Sigma because it has full time manual focus (big deal for my shooting style) and it's slightly wider.

Actually, that shot is with the Tokina. I got it last Thursday. It's been a great lens and covered everything I need it to. The AF-MF clutch is pretty excellent and locks soundly into place for either focusing scheme. The IQ is superb, and even at the corners wide open, it's pretty solid.
    Well, I ended up going with the Sigma but thanks for the review. The extra 2mm on the wide end and the FTM focus won it for me.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean by full-time manual focus. Can you grab the ring in autofocus and use it to adjust focus manually? It looks like the Sigma has a little switch you have to click to go from Manual to Automatic. The Tokina doesn't let you just grab the focusing ring to adjust manually while in autofocus, so I'm guessing that's what you mean. But, instead of an AF-MF switch it has a clutch. You basically push the focusing ring forward to engage the AF and towards you to go to MF.

But, either way, you're sure going to enjoy your new lens. Shooting in wide angle is just a whole new way of going about things, and really is a lot of fun and opens up a lot of new possibilities. I used it a ton to shoot over the fourth weekend.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Art:
    2644348769_79b006d5a3.jpg

And some animals:

2644347723_e8ee5d6829.jpg

Is it too late to get in on this lizard frenzy?
    2645175704_ce94c8e144.jpg

If you view the image large, you can see that it's face is completely covered in dirt from digging. I found it cute.
    2644347581_0d82475aa7.jpg

anable on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Uncle Long wrote: »
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean by full-time manual focus. Can you grab the ring in autofocus and use it to adjust focus manually? It looks like the Sigma has a little switch you have to click to go from Manual to Automatic. The Tokina doesn't let you just grab the focusing ring to adjust manually while in autofocus, so I'm guessing that's what you mean. But, instead of an AF-MF switch it has a clutch. You basically push the focusing ring forward to engage the AF and towards you to go to MF.

But, either way, you're sure going to enjoy your new lens. Shooting in wide angle is just a whole new way of going about things, and really is a lot of fun and opens up a lot of new possibilities. I used it a ton to shoot over the fourth weekend.
    FTM focus means you can focus manually without hitting the AF switch on the lens. It has a clutch in the focusing motor so that it doesn't affect the motor even when it's switched on. I like it because I don't use the shutter button for AF, I use a button on the back of the camera so all I have to do to manual focus is not press the AF button on the back.

saltiness on
  • Options
    PilcrowPilcrow Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I've not been shooting as much as I'd like lately so I don't have much to show right now, but I just wanted to say that I really enjoy watching people develop their vision and push themselves in these threads. I think that first shot of the trees is just beautiful, Anable, very spare but also wonderfully busy. Cheers all around gang.

Pilcrow on
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Pilcrow wrote: »
    I've not been shooting as much as I'd like lately so I don't have much to show right now, but I just wanted to say that I really enjoy watching people develop their vision and push themselves in these threads.

I just dropped in to say ditto.

I really don't have anything to show, but you guy still rock. And make me want to be a better photographer. Which is good.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Tini, really nice lizard pics. What lens were you using?

I've been takin' some photos, but I have been too lazy to upload them.... so maybe sometime, eventually, I'll have something to share. I've also been really lazy with this work 9-5 crap, man, I don't want to grow up and have this be my life.

I'll try and post pics soon.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Anable, I love that first one.

Uncle, I like it!

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    TiniTini Slippy PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Thanks for all the feedback on those iguana shots everyone. I was using my 55-200mm kit lens that came with my Nikon D50. Ive been using it a lot lately because my 18-55 lens is having trouble auto focusing and i already have bad eyes and cant do it manually hahah. I need to go get it cleaned out I suppose

Tini on
    Do a barrel roll.
  • Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    anable wrote: »

Jake - I'm not sure why, but I'm having a hard time coming up with any critique for your photos. I agree with Pilcrow that you're head's in the right place, but the pictures don't quite strike me. At the same time, I can't really come up with a whole lot on how to improve them so...I dunno. Keep posting. I promise I'll be more helpful next time. ;)

No problem. The weather here has been so bad here recently that there's never any point going to a specific location to take photographs. So they're all just snapshots really, jumping off my bike whenever there's a break in the weather. Going to Iceland at the end of the month, which should hopefully mean I've got some interesting stuff to post!

Jake! on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm pretty much posting along the same lines as pilcrow. I took some shots on the 4th but my computer decided to die the same day so I can't really put them up. Seriously though everyone is posting excellent stuff, keep it up!

Prospicience on
  • Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    anable, I prefer the first of the 3 beach shots mainly because there is so much detail in the clouds. The water and the sunlight on it are really nice, but the detail in the clouds keeps the image deep whereas in #3 (with comparable water/highlights) the sky is much more flat and the image just isn't as moving to me. Still I like both a lot.

Long, I really like the thunderheads, but feel the top 1/3 of the frame or so is the weakest part of the pic. If you were to crop that off and end up with more of a pano, you would retain all of the impact of the powerful clouds and would give more attention to the water and the landscape both of which are pretty awesome (but currently less noticeable). That's my $0.02, for what it's worth.

Jake, I love the first shot (wildflowers). The colors are unusual but not surreal. The crispness is nice. It's a very interesting photo.

DMoon, I like the B&W shots the best. The color ones are a little flat, maybe due to being in midday sun and the B&W ones are simpler and more engaging to me. I love the last shot of the doggy!

anable (again), in that last round I love the first two. Simply love them. #3 (lizard) could have benefitted from slightly more DOF and maybe a secondary element (background/environment or possibly another foreground element that the lizard might be "regarding" - what's to his right?). It's a good pic, but maybe too simply "subject" and nothing else. This is something I am guilty of way too often. The stick in #4 drags my eyes to the left, and again I wonder what's to the right that the meercat's(?) looking at? The dirt on the face totally is cute!

EDIT - Props, that sucks!!

erisian pope on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Altmann liked this one, too

So blame him for more fireworks photos.

2637404243_1b5d64334a_o.jpg

Sheri on
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sheri Wins.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Sheri wrote: »

2637404243_1b5d64334a_o.jpg

Ok, yeah, that's incredible!

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Sheri wrote: »

[img]:O[/img]

Ok, yeah, that's incredible!

Royal Blue'd for well put. Gah sheri, really great stuff... don't know what else to say.

Colors make me go "duurrrrrr" (good thing).

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I don't even know if I should post this now. Thanks a lot, Sheri.

FirefromAbove.jpg

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ooh, an at-level-with-the-firework shot! A new challenger has appeared!

No, seriously, the interesting perspective is awesome. The exposure is perfect, too -- I love the subtlety of the blue hills framing the harbor and town, just barely visible.

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Long, it's terrific! It has nice depth in the 'splosion.

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    So I'm thinking I'm going to buy a new lens before I go to Iceland. Does anyone have a Canon EF 28-70mm f/2.8L USM, or failing that, has anyone spent enough time with one to form an opinion?

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I don't have experience with that lens, but the range it covers is pretty great for just walking around, and L glass has a good reputation for a reason.

Do you have a wide angle? It might be a worthwhile investment with the epic Icelandic landscape.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, I've got a 15mm fish, a 17-40, a 50, and a 55-200. The 17-40's an L and It's never massively impressed me, which is one of the reasons why I ask.

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Jake! wrote: »
    So I'm thinking I'm going to buy a new lens before I go to Iceland. Does anyone have a Canon EF 28-70mm f/2.8L USM, or failing that, has anyone spent enough time with one to form an opinion?

I have one, actually selling it for a Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS though. It is a very nice lens though, just a difficult range of focal lengths for a crop camera. It has great image quality and construction.

edit: Also, it's significantly better than the 17-40L which I also have.

saltiness on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    Jake! wrote: »
    I have that lense and it is worth every penny. Mind you it is on a full frame camera so it's a bit wider than what a 17mm would be on a cropped.

bombardier on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Long it is just aces you butthead. :)

Also: I bought a Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 last night, along with 2 flashes and a slew of accessories.

I think, maybe, possibly, I am ready for this wedding.

Equipment-wise.

Sheri on
  • Options
    Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    2651769940_e5c01047d8.jpg

Mr. Fahrenheit on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I was going to ask which renderer you used, then remembered that this is the photo thread. :D

The composition is a bit odd, but it's interesting.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Alright, I've tried this with about a hundred different cropping schemes, trying to include fingers, removing fingers, including breathing room, removing breathing room, making symmetry between the bird and the wedding room, eliminating the wedding ring altogether. I'm at this:

SwallowII.jpg

And I think I just need to let it the fuck go for a while.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I know this sucks but you need some crap every once in a while to appreciate the good stuff right?

2652380292_273281d072_o.jpg

Plus, even though I know this is awful I feel like I'm moving out of my slump. I will make time for photography!

tofu on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I wish the grass wasn't quite so blown out, tofu, but otherwise that is a great shot. The strange juxtaposition of the axel/wheel on the left, when the truck is on the right, is intriguing, and both those subjects are sharp and well-composed.

Long: why is there a black halo along the left side of the fingers? That aside, the photo looks good as-is. That halo is distracting and needs to go, somehow.

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    gilrain wrote: »
    I wish the grass wasn't quite so blown out, tofu, but otherwise that is a great shot. The strange juxtaposition of the axel/wheel on the left, when the truck is on the right, is intriguing, and both those subjects are sharp and well-composed.

Long: why is there a black halo along the left side of the fingers? That aside, the photo looks good as-is. That halo is distracting and needs to go, somehow.

Because, apparently, lightroom isn't rendering any sharpening in the develop module and had I went back to the library module, I would have seen it... damn. Alright, I think I've got the cropping a little more to my liking now, and hopefully the halo is out.

Um, I hate to delete my post but these are my improvements, such as they are.

SwallowIII.jpg

edit: it was chromatic aberration that I had forgotten that I had messed with.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I liked the first crop better.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    tofu wrote: »
    I liked the first crop better.
    Yeah, me too. The hand is too overwhelming in the second crop. It looks more like a monument than a humanized, to-scale hand.

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Does anyone own a Lowepro bag? I'm thinking about getting a Fastpack but I'm not sure how well it works. I want something that will hold my camera where I can have easy access to it but can also hold stuff for class like a notebook or my laptop.

tofu on
  • Options
    Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I use a plastic Wal-Mart bag.

Mr. Fahrenheit on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

You've got balls...
    I like balls
    teamamerica_06.jpg

I really like the surreal look that shot has Mr. F. And the red is so damned vibrant it's great!

Prospicience on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    img

I really like the surreal look that shot has Mr. F. And the red is so damned vibrant it's great!

I'm curious if you could provide some insight on how you accomplished that look. Give us your secrekts.

anable on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I use a plastic Wal-Mart bag.
    classy

tofu on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    tofu wrote: »
    Does anyone own a Lowepro bag? I'm thinking about getting a Fastpack but I'm not sure how well it works. I want something that will hold my camera where I can have easy access to it but can also hold stuff for class like a notebook or my laptop.

I have a lowepro, but not that one. All in all, I love my bag and can happily attest to the overall quality. I have the EX160 which holds my camera with 1 lens attached and 1 spare lens plus accoutrements.

erisian pope on
This discussion has been closed.