As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crysis Warhead is out now or something

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    If they made a game that was just ten hours of the valley level in Crysis

It'd be peachy

what happened to the game they were doing that takes place in Africa? Is that being developed alongside this, or was it just a tech demonstration, or wut

Far cry 2, made by a completely different developer (ubisoft) and coming out at the end of the year for PC + HD consoles

And the Harbor level was 10 times better than valley.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    subedii wrote: »
    LewieP wrote: »
    Based on the demo. It looks utterly horrible, but has a really cool sandbox style of gameplay.

Buh? I can agree with the second sentiment, but you're probably the first person I've heard voice the first one.

Well, to each their own I guess.

How the hell can anyone call a game that has no AA, is at 640 x 400, and still has a terrible framerate good looking?

Sorry, I should have said "based on the demo, on my PC" :wink:

Ill bet it will look better on your 360.

And I bet Crytek know that oh so well.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Spoit wrote: »
    If they made a game that was just ten hours of the valley level in Crysis

It'd be peachy

what happened to the game they were doing that takes place in Africa? Is that being developed alongside this, or was it just a tech demonstration, or wut

Far cry 2, made by a completely different developer (ubisoft) and coming out at the end of the year for PC + HD consoles

And the Harbor level was 10 times better than valley.
    Yes the harbour was the best part for sure.

Also, Farcry 2 looks shit hot. Like, not just visually on par with Crysis, which in itself is a monumental achievement, but also gameplay wise.

African savannah is an environment, like indonesian jungle, which is woefully underrepresented in games.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Jungle is underrepresented, but when it is, its always the best.

See: Giants: Citizen Kauto, Farcry, Final Fantasy X, Age of Conan, just off the top of my head.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    and crysis

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Allowing you to tackle each encounter as you wish kind of works kind of doesnt. As much dynamics as the battles have you dont actually have as much variety in combat as you would expect. There is one kind of enemy (humans) and they all play exactly the same. After the introduction of different kinds of enemies it turns into Doom 3 : Indonesia, tightly scripted run and gun till the end.

Wow, I could not disagree more. The number of weird and stupid things I've pulled off in that game just because I've wanted to...
    Because the game prompted or even suggested such courses or because you felt it was getting stale and actively sought to mix it up?

Er, neither. I mean some stuff it was suggested you could do, but I was largely making crap up as I went.

I mean, I've re-played the harbour level in itself maybe a dozen times for example. Sometimes I go in stealth, sometimes guns blazing. Sometimes I come in from the road, around the back, swim off to the side, or even snipe a boat and use that. Sometimes I set up C4 traps before making a tonne of noise in the vicinity before waiting for people to stumble in, others I'll stay up high and play sniper. Sometimes I'll leave the enemy confused, scattered and in dissarray with feints and tricks, other times they'll focus on me en-mass and I take them on with extreme prejudice.

And in between all that there's the constant shifting interplay between strength, armour, speed and cloak (although if I'm honest, I rarely use cloak now ever since I did a no-cloak run).

However much you get out of the gameplay really does depend though, on how much you're willing to put into it. If you play it just like a generic run-and-gun shooter with a recharging health bar (and I'm not saying you play it that way), then that's all it's going to be.

subedii on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It doesn't count remember. Aliens invalidates the whole game. It's impossible to play the game up to the aliens and restart and have giant balls of awesome joy.

Scarab I have video evidence of two different takes on one outpost.

It's right there in my let's play.

Neither take was because I was bored.

Why don't you go watch both and become educated about possibilities.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    It doesn't count remember. Aliens invalidates the whole game. It's impossible to play the game up to the aliens and restart and have giant balls of awesome joy.

Its sounding awfully silent storm in here!

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I never played it? Another shooter?

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited June 2008

No, its a tactical strategy game, like Jagged Alliance or X-com. 75% into the game, they introduce a particular type of enemy that completely changes the game from being a realistic WW2 game, and arguably makes it less fun.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008

You can't ask me to just re-start once I reach the alien sections!
    Because I really have fun with the aliens sections

subedii on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I really enjoy them too.

I just keep thinking of new ways to kill koreans.

Eventually I'll exhaust the depths of my creativity and will run through the aliens levels every play through and then probably start inventing new way sof killing aliens.

Humans are just more fun to squish, but that's not the aliens fault. I'm just speciest.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Mm. I can see where you're coming from, Scarab, and I half disagree (as opposed to half agreeing :D)

Pre-main-post snippet: though the other options on the suit left you very vulnerable, the fact that it defaults to armour mode leaves one in no real doubt that careful management is encouraged - so yes, they are sort of like power-ups, but near-indefinite ones so long as the player knows what he's doing. Also, re: openness, it still beats most games hands-down. The opening bay area? I island-hopped around the edge and assaulted the outcrop first, then the main base. This approach enabled me to take out the jeep courtesy of mr. blow-uppa-a-gas-tank, and it was all my own decision. Which leads me on to my main point.

Basically, there was an element of making the game fun for you. AI has not reached such levels in the 'open game' genre that it can adapt on the run and make any situation new and exciting - or even necessarily authentic, not that I think that's an inherent weakness.

Case in point. The big town where you rescue the hostage (probably the standout part of the game concerning combat). Surrounded by minefields. Beach approach heavily turreted. Invisibility won't last long enough. So what do I do? I stealth down below a hut near the bridge, and lurk in the riverbed. Then I spot my chance. I put on my silencer so that the guards won't be immediately alerted, shoot down a tree so that it props itself on the perimeter fence - spanning the minefield - and use super speed to sprint up it. I land on a guy, switch to super strength and grab him before he can react. I then throw him back over the fence so that he crash lands on the mines. It's a pretty cool way to go. Guards panic, desert the frontal post. I sneak around to one of the guns, man it, and cut down a bunch of them before using sprint to leg it to a wall, then jumping over it with super-strength. Over the next hour, I proceed to stealth-kill every guard in the town, using all manner of fiendish trickery.

It was at that point in the game where I realised that, yeah, you can play it 'effectively': snipe isolated guards and stragglers, move in cloaked and unleash hell... which is much more boring than it sounds. What was way more fun was (banana plantation):

Driving a jeep in, bailing and nailing the fuel tank with a single shot from my pistol (lolsniper). I then whirl through with shotgun and super strength, punching people through walls, collapsing buildings and knocking over vehicles as they pass. Five frantic minutes later I'm surrounded by corpses and incredibly low on health.

And it's just that much more rewarding.

What they need to do is make sure that no matter what course of action the player chooses, there's a challenge. When the player starts to be forced to make impromptu decisions and improvise, that's when the game gets really fun. The town was great because there were so many options, and so many things that could go wrong with each option. Same with the banana plantation. Where it got weaker was the more linear areas, because frankly their development team ain't no Valve/Infinium Labs, and they just can't pull off set pieces with nearly the same panache, leading to a rather DOOM 3 level of shumping - that is, average.

And the end boss was just terrible, and the VTOL combat both confusing and unnecessary. The aliens were okay and quite a nice change because they were reasonably challenging when they came in packs.

Basically, what they need to do is more of the first 40% of gameplay. When the sun starts to set and you head to the lab with the video link, the gameplay quality drops a notch (although the graphics go up a gear).

Give the player multiple, subtle options, and leave them to it.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I have about fifteen truck into hostage town videos and only used one of them. Most of them are absolutely fine, about half of them ended in my death usually due to awesome and me not usually playing that way.

The hostage town is one of my favourite levels. I can remember where every enemy is (before you trigger their spawn ai) by heart.

People who don't like the korean gameplay lack imagination. There are, of course, valid exceptions for other issues, but I'm talking about the free choice part of the gameplay only.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    M'lord (lolz), you use male suit voice.

FAIL.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I really enjoyed the night-time missions as well. Felt as if I was being hunted down the whole way through and I had to do some really awesome espionage type stuff to survive. Like heading down to the swamp / bay and sniping two guards so that I could steal a boat that I had just come in on. Plus it was useful that most enemies had their laser-sights on so that I could see where people were moving in from., that lead to many a tense shoot out.

The way I handled the hostage village was actually entering the ocean and swimming around to the road at the opposite end of the base. That was almost completely uncovered and I managed to Solid Snake my way in with hardly a corpse to tell. Silently take out a few dudes in the school and you're done. The rest of the base didn't even know I was there.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I really enjoyed the first half of the game. But Im judging it as a whole. Crytek felt the need to put in the alien sections and the end boss and Im going to judge the full package, not just the start.

By the time you get into the swing of things with the Korean section, fully realise your suite of abilities they pull it away from you just when its getting good and turn the game into a Doom clone.

I dont think it is entirely fair to say 'Crysis is a a great game because once you complete it and pound through the four hours of bullshit at the end you can restart and just do the start over and over'

I mean this is just my opinion, but I felt that the game needed one maybe two more Harbour mission size sections before the alien ship.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Crysis on hardest mode will test you. No doubt about it.

And in a good way, too, not the Bioshock 'hey let's just make all the enemies have a million health' way.

I mean, it's a great game. It's just not quite a damn great game.

But I do believe it's going to be one of the most important games for the next two years or so.

Scarab: coming out of 'the bubble' and holding off the attack ships was good. Being on the Cruiser was pants. But what was that... one hour's worth of play? I can handle one bad hour at the end. After all, means if I replay it I know when to stop =P

Seriously though I don't think the ending is such a crippling factor as you're implying.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Better than the woman who just sounds terribly bored.

Oh, cloak's engaged. Can I go now.

Scarab: it does. You don't have to take the tanks. There's enough rocket launchers.

Makes it interesting. Oh my yes.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    My only real concerns with Crysis gameplay wise were how Maximum Strength and Maximum Speed were basically worthless. Putting the two together and reducing their energy consumption would have maybe given me an incentive to turn off all my armor.

And the multiplayer component was a big fat turd.

I just want a computer that runs it at the highest settings. My macbook ain't exactly cutting it.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Maximum Strength and Maximum Speed were basically worthless
    Salmon'd for lies. You're doing it wrong.
    Knock down some fucking buildings, you pussy. Punch tanks.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    My only real concerns with Crysis gameplay wise were how Maximum Strength and Maximum Speed were basically worthless. Putting the two together and reducing their energy consumption would have maybe given me an incentive to turn off all my armor.

I was shifting between the two constantly. Strength doesn't just allow you to jump higher and punch harder (both still fun things to do), it also allows you to aim much better and throw further / harder. I was using it all the time.

Spped mode I used a lot once I stopped abusing cloak so much, plus it's fun just running over people.

One of my... special.... pleasures in the game was "Road Runner"ing people in Speed mode before picking up their mate and strength throwing him into the first guy just as he was getting back up again.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    In half life you crouch jump out of windows, and in Crysis you punch out the the fucking wall.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    In half life you crouch jump out of windows, and in Crysis you punch out the the fucking wall.

I prefer to punch through the ceiling and get the drop on people. :mrgreen:

Another thing to add is that if you really don't like how strength / speed / cloak affects you, just alter it.

Seriously, this stuff is in text files, you change a few numbers and all of a sudden you're running at the speed of sound with an energy drain that'll allow you to circumnavigate the world on foot.

Other things like combining the Strength / Speed mode are possible if you nab the SDK and do a little tweaking. It's not all that hard (IIRC, somebody did it ages ago, but I'm not sure whether that mod is compatible with the most recent patch).

subedii on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    the building-blasting physics acted funky for me. I could take out every wall and support of a building, except a single corner column, and the entire roof would hold up fine.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Another thing to add is that if you really don't like how strength / speed / cloak affects you, just alter it.

Seriously, this stuff is in text files, you change a few numbers and all of a sudden you're running at the speed of sound with an energy drain that'll allow you to circumnavigate the world on foot.

Other things like combining the Strength / Speed mode are possible if you nab the SDK and do a little tweaking. It's not all that hard (IIRC, somebody did it ages ago, but I'm not sure whether that mod is compatible with the most recent patch).

:O

Shit I have to go to class now.

I knew "ok I'll just read subedii's post, then go" would bite me in the ass. I messed with ra.ini so much in red alert.

Just you wait till I get home game.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

WWII tactical game, that was all about killing nazis until you run into robo-armor suits.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

:O

Shit I have to go to class now.

I knew "ok I'll just read subedii's post, then go" would bite me in the ass. I messed with ra.ini so much in red alert.

Just you wait till I get home game.

Basically the suit settings for things like energy drain and stuff are in the difficulty .ini files.

Personally I just bumped up my running speed. I can't remember whether you can increase strength jump height or not though, that might be limited to something that you need to tweak in the suit settings with the SDK. From taking a glance at some sample code someone posted on the subject though, it looked fairly easy to understand. Of course, depends on how much programming you know, but in general, programming logic isn't too hard to follow.

subedii on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Personally I just bumped up my running speed. I can't remember whether you can increase strength jump height or not though, that might be limited to something that you need to tweak in the suit settings with the SDK. From taking a glance at some sample code someone posted on the subject though, it looked fairly easy to understand. Of course, depends on how much programming you know, but in general, programming logic isn't too hard to follow.

Regardless of the quality of the game itself, the cryengine2 stuff is pretty ace, both the tech behind the engine, and how easy it is to make top quality stuff in it. These less than a year old mods for crysis look incredible compared to stuff from a similar period of time into, say, the source engine

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    also the alien part of crysis was beautiful in design but fuck trying to shoot them

particularly when there is a little mouse delay

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Spoit wrote: »

Regardless of the quality of the game itself, the cryengine2 stuff is pretty ace, both the tech behind the engine, and how easy it is to make top quality stuff in it. These less than a year old mods for crysis look incredible compared to stuff from a similar period of time into, say, the source engine

Absolutely. Sandbox 2 on it's own makes it crazy easy to put together your own islands compared to other FPS level editors.

I'm also really looking forward to Mechwarrior: Living Legends, and the Lost World dinosaur mod.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    also the alien part of crysis was beautiful in design but fuck trying to shoot them

particularly when there is a little mouse delay

Try switching to single-shot and strength mode. That should make it easier to bullseye them if you have to shoot them.

Failing that, a lot of people recommend "sidestep-grab-punch", also known as the "Welcome the EARF!" Manoeuvre.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    the mechwarrior mod is the only reason I still have crysis installed, since the multiplayer is poop from a butt and I'm not the type to replay a game when I still remember the story

god I want it

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Check out the two gametrailers developer videos for an idea of just how powerful the Crytek engine-editor is.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I hope someone makes a coop mod for Crysis or this comes with one. Sven Coop style coop in Crysis would be absolutely epic.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Ooh, co-op Crysis would be good, you're right...

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I hope someone makes a coop mod for Crysis or this comes with one. Sven Coop style coop in Crysis would be absolutely epic.

IIRC There's a co-op mod in the works but they haven't updated in a long time. Seems like it's a difficult concept to implement, understandably.

Really, the game practically demands a co-op game mode. Teamwork, flanking, distractions, it could have been really special. If they had just implemented that instead of putting so much effort into emulating Battlefield, I honestly feel the multiplayer community would be much better off than it is now.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Something tells me the crysis A.I. would have a bit of a problem dealing with two sneaky snakes

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You can download custome maps that are meant to be co-op like they have objectives and stuff. Now the objectives are pretty basic, but well those map/mod makers no what I like...lots and lots of soft koreans :P

Dixon on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This thread makes me want to buy Crysis. I've the distinct impression that I wasn't trying hard enough to make the demo fun for me.

Also, thread title lies. In what way is Crysis: Warhead "announced"? The name is announced, I'll give you that. ;-)

zilo on