As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mysteries are Solved in this [Chat]

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think i'll just keep things awkward and let the tension of unsaid words rest in the air between us.

That's much less convoluted.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    I think if I say anything it's going to be "hey um look. i've been really stupid and a bit of an oblivious asshole. i don't know if saying this at this point will correct or change anything but I think it's better late than never. So. . .i'm sorry. Uh where do you want to go eat?"

NO![SIZE]

You already said you don't want to be with this girl, and with the distance thing, things wouldn't work out with you two. You're setting her up for a lot of false hope if you do this.

1. The apology was generally solid, and not so bad.

2. The "wanna get something to eat" wasn't bad either. Unless you prescribe to ladder theory.

He's specifically said due to the distance he wouldn't remain faithful to her. All that will do is make her think her dreams have finally come true, and crush her upon the realization that they haven't.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Agreed. Saying something like that would kind of crush her.

If your fine with the way things are now (excluding whatever guilt you feel), why say anything?

If she has feelings for him, and he's just ignoring that, she might feel like he's leading her on?

I realize I don't know her, so I'm admitting straight out I very easily might be wrong, but on base assumptions, it's not inherently bad to tell her that she shouldn't... hold out for him or anything.

But everything is circumstantial.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oboro wrote: »
    Yeah I'll be honest DasUberEdward is pretty awful.

Surprisingly, no one thinks I'm a weeaboo based on my name, at least so far as I can tell. So ... it's worked out! Also, it is the name of my avatar, and having that avatar is so worth it. <3

I figured your name was a play on Ouroboros, shorthand style.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    i hate it when i put a gun into my mouth and its delicious but does nothing for hunger because its not food

This is how I initially read this sentence.

Which nearly prompted me to run over to NYC and start screaming,"DON'T DO IT SHAZ THE GUN IS A LIE DON'T DO IT"
    It's not that it was a lie, it's that the kickback put the trajectory to the cheek instead of the medulla

Don't worry about it, on a long enough timeline the survival rate of everything drops to zero anyway.

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I think i'll just keep things awkward and let the tension of unsaid words rest in the air between us.

And lazy/immature/silly/stupid.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

That's how I break up with people.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I think if I say anything it's going to be "hey um look. i've been really stupid and a bit of an oblivious asshole. i don't know if saying this at this point will correct or change anything but I think it's better late than never. So. . .i'm sorry. Uh where do you want to go eat?"

NO![SIZE]

You already said you don't want to be with this girl, and with the distance thing, things wouldn't work out with you two. You're setting her up for a lot of false hope if you do this.

2. The "wanna get something to eat" wasn't bad either. Unless you prescribe to ladder theory.

He's specifically said due to the distance he wouldn't remain faithful to her. All that will do is make her think her dreams have finally come true, and crush her upon the realization that they haven't.

Pfft like she'd ever know :rotate:

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

NO!

Even if we were to all agree that the apology wasn't so bad, I...I really don't think the best method of delivery is to walk up to the girl and blurt it out by way of greeting.

"hey sorry my dog bit your leg off in high school i never got to apologize do you like sushi let's get sushi"

At least take her for sushi first.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Yes. This is what i've been doing with her since high school. So yeah i'm a dick but.

Well no i'm just a dick.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Yeah, but he wasn't asking her on a date.

Was he? I thought that was his clue that he'd still want to remain her friend. Which she could do. There's no, "once you've crushed on someone, you can never be friends again"

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

i hope you get convicted of tax fraud and are sentenced to twenty years in prison

i hope your cell is infested with roaches and reeks of urine and excrement

i hope you have three vicious cell mates who savagely beat you and sodomize you every night

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »
    DSC, the point is that Tube doesn't want to change names, period.

I know but normally he givens hilarious name changes to those who ask in the thread. Like the guy who was named captain reading comprehension or something like that.

LOOK AT MY NAME. I ALWAYS MISS THAT DAMN THREAD BY TWO MINUTES.

What's wrong, DasUberEdward?

It's awful and I made it when I was playing Unreal Tournament constantly at the age of 13?

Look, DasUberEdward, you shouldn't worry about it too much.

Yeah, our mini-debate here may make it sound like your soul is on the line, but it's not. Putting everything I've said aside for the moment, I think a comment/apology like this to her would be completely awkward and not worth doing, especially if you have no intention of pursuing a serious relationship with her anyway. Sometimes you just gotta let life roll the way it rolls. God knows I've paid scant attention to some people who probably wanted attention from me and I've gotten dropped by people I like too.

It happens.

It's a part of life.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Yes. This is what i've been doing with her since high school. So yeah i'm a dick but.

Well no i'm just a dick.

No, no, no... I would say you're human. This isn't exactly the kind of thing you go to hell for.

Missing the Atlanta meet-up is the kind of thing you go to hell for.

Drez wrote: »
    our mini-debate here may make it sound like your soul is on the line, but it's not.

It happens.

It's a part of life.

We're so alike!

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Agreed. Saying something like that would kind of crush her.

If your fine with the way things are now (excluding whatever guilt you feel), why say anything?

If she has feelings for him, and he's just ignoring that, she might feel like he's leading her on?

I realize I don't know her, so I'm admitting straight out I very easily might be wrong, but on base assumptions, it's not inherently bad to tell her that she shouldn't... hold out for him or anything.

But everything is circumstantial.

Yeah i see your point. Personally, i would just sit down with her and say most of what he has said to us but i guess that is what is up for debate.

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

i hope you get convicted of tax fraud and are sentenced to twenty years in prison

i hope you have three vicious cell mates who savagely beat you and sodomize you every night

and I like the way you work.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Drez, that was the wrong quote-tree.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008

No it wasn't. I was just expanding on what you said but directing it at DUE. lern to read, nublet

edit: Oh god you're right.

edit2: Now I feel like an idiot.

edit3: But that's okay, I don't care.

edit4: You know what, TehSpectre, fuck you.

edit5: Okay, I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry, TS.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Well no i'm just a dick.

No, no, no... I would say you're human. This isn't exactly the kind of thing you go to hell for.

Missing the Atlanta meet-up is the kind of thing you go to hell for.

I really need to find someone coming from this area.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Yeah, well I hope you catch the bird-flu in a Chinese torture facility where they only feed you Mercury fish.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Oboro: Sorry for not responding. I'm glad my posts have some glimmer of insight for you.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    shiver me timbers!

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008

No it wasn't. I was just expanding on what you said but directing it at DUE. lern to read, nublet

How very selfish of you.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Oboro: Sorry for not responding. I'm glad my posts have some glimmer of insight for you.
    Yeah it was just good to understand why people are telling me that so many of my decisions are absolutely self-absorbed. :^:

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    shiver me timbers!

Are you experiencing some kind of heroin withdrawal today, man?

Drez on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Hm. On a related note I actually just realized that I care enough about her that I would feel bad subjecting her to my terrible habits, tendencies, and lifestyle. Weird that's a new one for me I think. So yes, silence will be golden. We will meet as usual and spend our awkward time together wondering "what if. . ."

and then i'll get back to the booze and one night stands.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    shiver me timbers!

Uh, he wouldn't be able to type. Probably wouldn't be able to do much more than writhe in agony. :P

What I'm saying is, he's obviously robotrippin'.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited November 2008

How very selfish of you.

I don't actually have feelings, though, so edit5 wasn't there to assuage anything. There was nothing to assuage. My heart is an empty room.

Drez on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Michael, have you been playing Monkey Island or something?

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    shiver me timbers!

Uh, he wouldn't be able to type. Probably wouldn't be able to do much more than writhe in agony. :P

What I'm saying is, he's obviously robotrippin'.

It was hyperbole on my part, fo shizzle, but he's acting a little weird.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    Michael, have you been playing Monkey Island or something?

HAHA

Drez on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Hm. On a related note I actually just realized that I care enough about her that I would feel bad subjecting her to my terrible habits, tendencies, and lifestyle. Weird that's a new one for me I think. So yes, silence will be golden. We will meet as usual and spend our awkward time together wondering "what if. . ."

That's even more selfish than leading her on!

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

lftt

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Yes I know but it's the sweet selfish status quo which makes things incredibly easy for me except for these occasional bouts of guilt.

If she was that type of girl I could just make this into a nice physical thing and that'd be the end of it but oh no some folks have emotions and desires and standards and principles.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    You should totally change your Facebook status to "Whatever I Can Get," DUE. That'll serve.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    shiver me timbers!

i hope you get trapped in a fire and suffer third-degree burns all over your body

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yes I hate the whole "I'm bad for you" line.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You have received an infraction at Penny Arcade Forums.

Reason: Minor Offense
    Conversing in a hideous, guttural tongue

This infraction is worth 2 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires.

Original Post:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=7953394
    Hehe, that message makes the points worth it :P

Tav on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Yes I know

1. You get comic sans for that.

2. GODDAMMIT DON'T DO THAT

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    You should totally change your Facebook status to "Whatever I Can Get," DUE. That'll serve.

Nah it's a turn off for people who are pretending that they have standards and won't have casual sex with me.

They're my target crowd.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.