Options

The Dailyshow/Colbert Report: "Where Roe V Wade is two ways to get across a river."

• Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Aroduc wrote: »
    zeeny wrote: »
    I just saw Huckabee on TDS. The guy's views are absolute demagoguery and John still didn't call him out on most of them.

Demagoguery doesn't mean whatever you think it means.

Stay calm, it does.

Har dee har har.

I already like you. We're going to have a great time together. Now, if you have a dictionary by hand, I'm going to start touching myself.

zeeny on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2008
    I just saw Huckabee on TDS. The guy's views are absolute demagoguery and John still didn't call him out on most of them.

Demagoguery doesn't mean whatever you think it means.

Stay calm, it does.

Har dee har har.

I already like you. We're going to have a great time together. Now, if you have a dictionary by hand, I'm going to start touching myself.

Look, puddles, demagoguery is a way of arguing, not a point of view. I apologize for thinking you were making a joke by acting like a demagogue. Apparently you do not possess the wit I had assumed.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    dem⋅a⋅gogue
       /ˈdɛməˌgɒg, -ˌgɔg/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [dem-uh-gog, -gawg] Show IPA Pronunciation
    noun, verb, -gogued, -gogu⋅ing.
    –noun
    1. a person, esp. an orator or political leader, who gains power and popularity by arousing the emotions, passions, and prejudices of the people.
    2. (in ancient times) a leader of the people.
    –verb (used with object)
    3. to treat or manipulate (a political issue) in the manner of a demagogue; obscure or distort with emotionalism, prejudice, etc.
    –verb (used without object)
    4. to speak or act like a demagogue.

Shut⋅The⋅Fuck⋅Up
    /S,T-FU/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [shut-tha-fuck, -up]
    -verb
    1. Shut the fuck up.

moniker on
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    <snip>

Mmm, Huckabee avoids discussing the real issue of legally recognized homosexual civil unions by talking about the meaning of the word marriage and whatnot while, ooo, Jon response was effectively that, uhhh, anyone against gay marriage is lacking in humanity, ungh!

Er, excuse me, gotta clean up...

Alternatively: Mentioning such a sexually wanton act in an otherwise family friendly thread should really put into doubt the accuracy of this degenerate's grasp of the english language. Don't let him pervert the meaning of demagoguery, people, or let him direct this discussion down deviate directions!

On a more serious note, what exactly about Huckabee's comments were playing more to prejudices and emotions than Jon's? Minus three points if you focus on the word prejudice, minus seventeen points if you imply that a [or both] side had no prejudices.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well, let's see:

"this is a denial of civil rights" = logic

"gays have cooties and make me feel funny" = emotion

Note: I have not seen this particular interview, but feel I can safely extrapolate from past Huck/Stewart exchanges.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    WobblieWobblie Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dizzen wrote: »
    <snip>

Mmm, Huckabee avoids discussing the real issue of legally recognized homosexual civil unions by talking about the meaning of the word marriage and whatnot while, ooo, Jon response was effectively that, uhhh, anyone against gay marriage is lacking in humanity, ungh!

Alternatively: Mentioning such a sexually wanton act in an otherwise family friendly thread should really put into doubt the accuracy of this degenerate's grasp of the english language. Don't let him pervert the meaning of demagoguery, people, or let him direct this discussion down deviate directions!

On a more serious note, what exactly about Huckabee's comments were playing more to prejudices and emotions than Jon's? Minus three points if you focus on the word prejudice, minus seventeen points if you imply that a [or both] side had no prejudices.

ITS GOING TO DESTROY THE MEANING OF MARRIAGE GUYZ!

Wobblie on
    siggyem2.jpg
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wobblie wrote: »
    Dizzen wrote: »
    <snip>

ITS GOING TO DESTROY THE MEANING OF MARRIAGE GUYZ!
    OMG THAT'S THEIR MESSAGE? MY GOD THOSE INHUMAM MONSTERS.
    edit: I just noticed the typo, but it seems fitting enough.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    Well, let's see:

Note: I have not seen this particular interview, but feel I can safely extrapolate from past Huck/Stewart exchanges.
    We're talking about the way the ideas were discussed, so you really do need to see the interview. No one here is (or should be, anyway, as this thread is not the place for it) actually discussing whether homosexual civil unions should or shouldn't be recognized, just how 'appealing to the emotions and prejudices' the two men were in that interview.

Though like EmperorSeth mentioned, the horridness of Prop 8 passing kinda has some folks getting quite reactionary whenever the 'definition of marriage' topic gets mentioned, so it's hard to talk about the manner and method of a conversation that included said topic.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2008
    Well, let's see:

"30 states voted it down in the last election."
    "30 states voted you down in the last election."

"Under US law, marriage is a privilege, not a right."
    "Okay, then let's stop Hispanics from voting."

Yeah... not really John's most convincing arguments.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Well, let's see:

Which is at least part of why he isn't a politician or running to become a politician that makes legislative decisions based on those kinds of arguments.

moniker on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2008
    moniker wrote: »
    Well, let's see:

Which is at least part of why he isn't a politician or running to become a politician that makes legislative decisions based on those kinds of arguments.

It doesn't make him a particularly efficacious political satirist either.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Am I the only one missing the outrage Jon seemed to have? It seemed like a pretty amiacable debate between two people with different viewpoints to me.

never die on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    RIGGLE"S LEAVING! NOOOOOOO!!!

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2008
    RIGGLE"S LEAVING! NOOOOOOO!!!

Sam and Jason are probably also leaving relatively soon too. All three of them are working on various upcoming sitcoms.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I <3 the Riggle
    KA-POW!

Rent on
  • Options
    WobblieWobblie Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    never die wrote: »
    Am I the only one missing the outrage Jon seemed to have? It seemed like a pretty amiacable debate between two people with different viewpoints to me.

He wasn't mad or anything, but I've never seen Jon lose composure during an interview (that I can remember). It was definitely an undercurrent, though. He pretty clearly thought that Huckabee's opinions were fucked up, regardless of how well he was able to show it (this extends to his questions as well, as people have pointed out). Not his best interview, or anywhere close, but he definitely wanted to show how fucked up Huckabee's social views are.

Wobblie on
    siggyem2.jpg
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It sucks that Riggle is leaving. It seemed like he took a long time to really get gold, but in the last year or so, he's been probably the second or third best correspondent. There are a lot of great moments, but the hippie anti-army piece was probably me favorite of his ('HIPPIES!!!!"). Sam Bee has been kind of dull recently, so I'm not to broken up about it. They can probably find another "asshole correspondent" like Jones, so whatever. But the Riggle is the real loss here.

At least John Oliver is so physically unappealing that he'd never get his own sitcom...so he should be on the show for a looooong time. Yay!!!

I'm guessing the new year is going to bring a whole lot of new correspondents trying to fill the three leaving ones' gaps.

EDIT: oh man, that Colbert noisemaker mishap cracked me up far more than it should have. Maybe it's the alcohol.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Riggle leaving kind of came out of nowhere. At least he got a decent sendoff though.

For the Huckabee/Stewart interview, Huck probably thought it would be a lighthearted visit like his appearances on the Colbert Report.

Also, woot, clip from CBC on the threat down.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    NOOOOO!
    I"M A WINTER!
    I'M A WINTER!!!!

Rent on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    WE'RE GONNA GET US SOME BANANA PUDDING MOTHERFUCKERS!!

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    For the Huckabee/Stewart interview, Huck probably thought it would be a lighthearted visit like his appearances on the Colbert Report.

Or like Stewart generally gives to guys like Huck.

No dice, though.

I wonder if the interview was originally scheduled to take up two segments, or just ran long so they cut other stuff.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »

Or like Stewart generally gives to guys like Huck.

No dice, though.

I wonder if the interview was originally scheduled to take up two segments, or just ran long so they cut other stuff.

Nah, other stuff would involve writing and it seems like they didn't want to do much this week. Interviews, Tek Janson, and the Riggle piece take up time that would normally require coming up with something better. Granted Blago gave them their material on a silver platter, but you can't plan for that.

moniker on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well, let's see:

Convincing? Probably not?

Reflective of how I feel about those who want to deny marriage to gays? Definitely.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    cyphrcyphr Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Was it just me or did Jon seem genuinely unamused when "Touches Kids" came up tonight?

cyphr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    cyphr wrote: »
    Was it just me or did Jon seem genuinely unamused when "Touches Kids" came up tonight?

I think it's just you, he might not be the best actor, but Jon can fake that

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    kdrudy wrote: »
    cyphr wrote: »

I think it's just you, he might not be the best actor, but Jon can fake that

Especially with the follow up, with the "more you know Star"... what was it again?

The first time it happened was the best, though.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    Especially with the follow up, with the "more you know Star"... what was it again?.

'It's our secret'.

Bogart on
  • Options
    cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Bogart wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    Especially with the follow up, with the "more you know Star"... what was it again?.

'It's our secret'.

It was "Suck on that" yesterday.

cheez on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I would watch a rodent soap.

Magus` on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    A Cunch To The Punt.

Oh my god. I'm still laughing.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    This Hall 'N Oates song might be the absolute best thing I've ever seen

Rent on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    It's Oates and Hall!!!

moniker on
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That song was great.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh Alan Colmes jokes.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Aw, that atheist bulldog looked so sad.

Cinders on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's a banana peeler. It peels bananas.

TL DR on
  • Options
    LightRiderLightRider __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    They butchered that song so hard they needed subtitles.

LightRider on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wow. Tonight's The Word seemed to be an impassioned, genuine plea to God Almighty for some sort of sign that he still cares.

I wasn't expecting that. I mean the humor seemed like it was thrown in out of obligation.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Wow. Tonight's The Word seemed to be an impassioned, genuine plea to God Almighty for some sort of sign that he still cares.

I wasn't expecting that. I mean the humor seemed like it was thrown in out of obligation.

Yeah, that felt more like a real spiritual crisis to me to.

Speaking of crises, what happened to the new Tak Jensen?

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    We didn't manage to put his Christmas Special up to #1 when requested, for this we must suffer for our sins in a world without Tek Jensen.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    A Cunch To The Punt.

Oh my god. I'm still laughing.

Yeah, best moment of the week, easily.

cheez on
This discussion has been closed.