We have a new update on The Future of the Penny Arcade Forums.

Fuck My Life

• Ness445Ness445 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    OKAY I asked my mom who is a medical ethicist:

-Its not a clear cut situation
    -If the doctor feels that nothing they can say will impress upon the minor the risks of sex (pregnancy especially) then they can make a judgement call to inform the family
    -Depends on the country as well
    -If the minor turns out to HAVE an STD/STI then the doctor may tell them that he has to inform their parents
    it seems like the doctor would regardless tell the girl she might have to tell her mother, instead of just doing it behind her back.

not that I think this would really change the situation, but you should still be clear on your intent.

Ness445 on
    4445.gif
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Caulk Bite wrote: »
    Monkeyfeet wrote: »
    pony has been driving himself to the doctor's since he was 10. Therefore England sucks

or, you know, taking the bus or walking. but that's just silly

or, you know, getting a ride from my mom but her waiting in the lobby while i talk to my doctor in private

monkeyfeet are you drunk

Pony on
  • MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    Caulk Bite wrote: »
    Monkeyfeet wrote: »
    pony has been driving himself to the doctor's since he was 10. Therefore England sucks

or, you know, taking the bus or walking. but that's just silly

or, you know, getting a ride from my mom but her waiting in the lobby while i talk to my doctor in private

monkeyfeet are you drunk

who isn't these days?

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I knew a kid from the States who drove from the age of 13 or 14 because he lived miles from civilisation and there was something called a "hardship clause" or similar exempting him from the usual driving laws

Or was he full of shit?

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Today I was supposed to teach at 10:15
    I woke up and looked at the clock and said 9:05

A few minutes later I realized it was daylight savings
    FML

unintentional on
  • MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
    edited March 2009
    the spring daylight savings clock change is the worst

you can end up late for so much shit

at least with the fall change, the worst that can happen for the most part is you show up way early for shit

with the spring one, you're all "ah, what a beautiful morning" and you're an hour late for work

Pony on
  • zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited March 2009
    I'm not actually sure that is a breach of ethics. Until you're a certain age over here your doctor is responsible for informing your parents of important medical snafu.

i don't think "your daughter is having sex by the way" is an important medical issue

14 year olds are children, and having sex opens said children up to a lot of potential health hazards.

Tube on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Edcrab wrote: »
    I knew a kid from the States who drove from the age of 13 or 14 because he lived miles from civilisation and there was something called a "hardship clause" or similar exempting him from the usual driving laws

Or was he full of shit?

I don't know about hardship but I knew plenty of farm kids who had farmers licenses at young ages.

VisionOfClarity on
    edited March 2009
    the spring daylight savings clock change is the worst

you can end up late for so much shit

at least with the fall change, the worst that can happen for the most part is you show up way early for shit

with the spring one, you're all "ah, what a beautiful morning" and you're an hour late for work

Well I live pretty close to where I work so I managed to get there on time. But it was still not the best start to a day

unintentional on
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

Or was he full of shit?

Completely accurate. I had a buddy who was fifteen with a Hardship License.

Darth Waiter on
    edited March 2009
    Hi5 VoC/Waiter I'd been wondering about that for a while, I'd just forgotten that I'd been wondering about it

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • RocketScienceRocketScience Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Or was he full of shit?

Completely accurate. I had a buddy who was fifteen with a Hardship License.

But was his doctor allowed to tell his parents about it?

RocketScience on
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm not actually sure that is a breach of ethics. Until you're a certain age over here your doctor is responsible for informing your parents of important medical snafu.

i don't think "your daughter is having sex by the way" is an important medical issue

14 year olds are children, and having sex opens said children up to a lot of potential health hazards.

Come on, it probably happened after 3:30.

Defender on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I knew one kid who had a farmers license but his family didn't own a farm in the traditional sense. They had oyster beds. That was the strangest one.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This bitch is retarded.
    Today, I was at a restaurant with my boyfriend. I look him straight in the eye and ask him: "What's the first thing you think about when you look at me?". His answer: "Can I finish my steak?" FML

Seriously, why the fuck do some women do this? Is your need for validation that strong? Or can you not see that my steak is much more interesting than you?

Darth Waiter on
    edited March 2009
    i've been with women who ask weird questions like that

i don't understand it

Pony on
    edited March 2009
    That video makes me favor things like involuntarily sterilization and capital punishment for minors.

Defender on
    edited March 2009
    i've been with women who ask weird questions like that

i don't understand it

That is nature's way of telling you, "hey, I know this probably feels good, but it is very, very bad."

Defender on
    edited March 2009
    I've been with women who had been with men who ask weird questions like that (and those men probably did it because they thought women would dig it)

Presumably my shallow simplicity was a welcome relief

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • CristoCristo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

it wasn't until years later she realized what a massive breach of ethics her doctor committed and how she should've seriously done something about it

I'm not sure it's that massive a breach though, since assmuing you live in America, the legal age for sexual intercourse is what 16 - 18 in most states?

So she was technically breaking the law. I know in Denmark Doctors are advised if not obligated to tell the parents of a girl who wants to have an abortion or is having one if she's younger than 15 years (which is the age of consent in Denmark).

Cristo on
    edited March 2009
    OFF-TOPIC: Does anyone here have Guild Wars? i could see myself playing it again with people from here :P

unintentional on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Cristo wrote: »

it wasn't until years later she realized what a massive breach of ethics her doctor committed and how she should've seriously done something about it

I'm not sure it's that massive a breach though, since assmuing you live in America, the legal age for sexual intercourse is what 16 - 18 in most states?

So she was technically breaking the law. I know in Denmark Doctors are advised if not obligated to tell the parents of a girl who wants to have an abortion or is having one if she's younger than 15 years (which is the age of consent in Denmark).

It's illegal for someone over the age to have sex with someone younger than the age. It's not illegal for two underage people to have sex.

I'm pretty sure the average age for first times is under the limit, everyone would be in jail.

Scooter on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Scooter wrote: »

It's illegal for someone over the age to have sex with someone younger than the age. It's not illegal for two underage people to have sex.

it is here in florida and many other states

PiptheFair on
    edited March 2009

I'm not sure whether or not that makes more sense than the alternative interpretations where the two youngsters are in fact raping each other

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited March 2009

I'm not sure whether or not that makes more sense than the alternative interpretations where the two youngsters are in fact raping each other

here, the older of the 2 having sex is charged with stautory

PiptheFair on
    edited March 2009
    PiptheFair wrote: »

What if they're born the same minute

unintentional on
    edited March 2009

in that highly unlikely case, it would be by the second

PiptheFair on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Then the judge pulls off his wig, rubs his brow, waves his gavel in the air and randomly picks one. Because judges don't need to deal with this hypothetical bullshit.

The_Scarab on
    edited March 2009
    What if they are twins who came out of the womb at the same time, fucking each other. PICTURE IT!

Defender on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited March 2009

I can't speak for America, but in the UK that definitely isn't true. I doubt it is in the states either. A minor can be charged for statuatory rape just like anyone else

Tube on
    edited March 2009
    defender that's just too far

Pony on
    edited March 2009
    Also, seriously, age of consent laws do not make underage parties into the criminals, for god's sake. "That five-year-old raped his teacher! What a monster! I just hope that old Mr. Kidfuck can find a way to soldier on."

Defender on
    edited March 2009

Maybe I just got mixed up in one of those cases where I start thinking the common sense answer is the actual law.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it's certainly almost never enforced.

Is it?

Scooter on
    edited March 2009
    I guess the age of consent is a hugeass minefield when you get right down to it. I mean, does the States think we're a nation of child abusers because ours is 16 rather than 18

Actually wait they'd think we're a nation of child abusers because of all the recent child deaths due to terrible parents and a fucked-up social service

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited March 2009
    hahaha Mr. Kidfuck

unintentional on
    edited March 2009

I can't speak for America, but in the UK that definitely isn't true. I doubt it is in the states either. A minor can be charged for statuatory rape just like anyone else

I bet if you're fifteen and you fuck a five-year-old, they punish you in some way. If you're fifteen and you fuck a fourteen-year-old, I'm almost certain that you are not in trouble in this country.

Defender on
    edited March 2009
    I guess the age of consent is a hugeass minefield when you get right down to it. I mean, does the States think we're a nation of child abusers because ours is 16 rather than 18

Actually wait they'd think we're a nation of child abusers because of all the recent child deaths due to terrible parents and a fucked-up social service

In some states its 16.

Which does sort of fuck with the whole morality of the thing, if screwing a 17 year old is illegal in one spot but fine if you cross state lines.

Scooter on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Defender wrote: »

I bet if you're fifteen and you fuck a five-year-old, they punish you in some way. If you're fifteen and you fuck a fourteen-year-old, I'm almost certain that you are not in trouble in this country.

You are in less trouble, but in no way is that legal.

The_Scarab on
This discussion has been closed.