As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Your most emotional game moments - There's no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

• Options
    The Grey GOATThe Grey GOAT Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Recently, Metal Gear Solid 4
    Returning to Shadow Moses. For some reason a flood of memories from college came back to me when I
    first started playing MGS1 in my dorm room. I remembered how blown away I was back in the day when MGS1came out. Even better was when I found the Ipod music for that stage and started playing it as I was sneaking back into the base. Man, that was goodtimes. Also throughout the whole game, I constantly felt bad for Snake. How quickly he was aging, going through so much pain, and near the end just seemed totally alone. That was truly an awesome gaming experience.

My other recent favorite moment was in MGS3 (I just finished the series part 3 and 4 this month so they are fresh in my memory) against The Fury. The music and setting when fighting him was awesome. The music starts of kinda calm as does he. But the more damge you do to him, the more he starts going crazy lighting the place on fire and the music starts to get faster and more dramatic, truely one of the best single player experiences I've ever had. Cat and mouse with a flamethrower wielding maniac.

The Grey GOAT on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." -HST
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's been mentioned twice now, time for some youtubes of Homeworld.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Peewi wrote: »
    I can't really explain it, but I think the ending of Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne is somewhat sad. The music at the end almost makes me cry every time I see it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2C_7QLwsnc

On that same note, the Orc ending in WC3 was kind of sad to me, with the death of grom.

It's really the voice acting that gets me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwIPo5x8B4s

Dissociater on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    When I was a little kid, I nearly cried when the dinosaurs got wiped out in E.V.O.: Search for Eden.

Poor dinosaurs :(

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7jOuDbFE9o

Although it's way to cheesy for me now, (I'm 16 now..) my dad got this game the day it came out. And when I played it and got to this part I teared up a bit.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I still haven't beaten them, but the HL2 series has had me on the edge of my seat pretty much from the start.

The scene in Ep1 where
    you wait for the elevator in pitch black darkness as hordes of zombies attack you

had me practically pissing myself with fear. I think I had nightmares about that part of the damn game.

I don't recall ever tearing up or weeping during a particular game scene. That's probably a factor of the games I play, but also I haven't really seen anything I consider cry-worthy. In fact, "that scene" in FFVII pretty much just pissed me off, for obvious reasons.
    Aeris is dead? But I have all these Phoenix Downs. I can't use them to bring her back? Why not? I brought these guys back after fucking comets landed on their heads. She just got stabbed. What's the big deal?

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I would say the most emotional moment in FF7 is actually begining to mid disc two, where Tife wakes up, talks to Barret then
    He opens the shutters on the airship, the camera pans as she's talking, then it shows meteor up in the sky, the music hits heavy. It works incredibly well because the confusion of everything going on, the loss of cloud after already losing Aerith, the question of Cloud being HER Cloud or just a clone absorbing memories, and on top of all that, Sephiroth won. The meteor was summoned, and the insurmountable futility of those few seconds is a real bummer.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    jack eddy wrote: »
    I would say the most emotional moment in FF7 is actually begining to mid disc two, where Tife wakes up, talks to Barret then
    He opens the shutters on the airship, the camera pans as she's talking, then it shows meteor up in the sky, the music hits heavy. It works incredibly well because the confusion of everything going on, the loss of cloud after already losing Aerith, the question of Cloud being HER Cloud or just a clone absorbing memories, and on top of all that, Sephiroth won. The meteor was summoned, and the insurmountable futility of those few seconds is a real bummer.

Seperated at birth: That part from Disk 2, and the Empire Strikes Back? Both are pretty much kick-you-in-the-crotch moments.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Silent Hill 2's major twist at the end:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK0sGk7rjNo

The big reveal where it's shown to the player that James actually killed Mary is the kinda stuff that rends men's souls. Whether you think James' actions were selfish or done out of love, the whole scene is such a shocker that I know I was sitting stunned after it was over.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    End of Metal Gear Solid 4.

Manly tears were formed.

Not just because it was a great game, but because it was the end of an era in many ways. The heroes I'd followed for more than ten years finally finished their journey. "Here's to you" indeed. Plus with all the hype, I knew some of them probably wouldn't survive.
    I was so relieved when Snake didn't die, not to mention Meryl and Raiden.

And if you didn't at wince when,

"A SURVEILLANCE CAMERA!?"
    died

You have no soul.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    DarksierDarksier Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The lead up to the ending of Shadow of the Colossus. Excuse the pun, but Big Emotional Impact.

Darksier on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    OK, everybody is talking about downer emotions, so I'll mention a more cheerful one.

Satisfaction.

We've all felt it, usually after beating a particularly strong boss. So with that in mind I'd like to talk about Prince LaCroix from Vampire: the Masquerade: Bloodlines.
    He's a dick. Throughout the entire game he keeps sending you on suicide missions and uses you to increase his own power and further his own goals.

And how does this vile wretch meet his end?

In a cutscene. You don't even get to beat him in a bossfight, he just gets offed in a cutscene. So how could that possibly be a satisfying outcome to the player, you might ask?

Well...

I must have grinned through the whole credits.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This.

Every time I've reached the end of this game, I just sit and watch. I don't even skip the credits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrkr6NzZ55s

I honestly cannot express what I'm feeling when I reach the end of the game.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    FFIV - Not Palrom and Polrom but Yang's story.
    FFVI - Cyan's whole story. Reminds me of the music in his home castle... that game had some sweet music.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    bikkibikkibobikkibikkibo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Recently, Metal Gear Solid 4
    Returning to Shadow Moses. For some reason a flood of memories from college came back to me when I
    first started playing MGS1 in my dorm room. I remembered how blown away I was back in the day when MGS1came out. Even better was when I found the Ipod music for that stage and started playing it as I was sneaking back into the base. Man, that was goodtimes. Also throughout the whole game, I constantly felt bad for Snake. How quickly he was aging, going through so much pain, and near the end just seemed totally alone. That was truly an awesome gaming experience.

My other recent favorite moment was in MGS3 (I just finished the series part 3 and 4 this month so they are fresh in my memory) against The Fury. The music and setting when fighting him was awesome. The music starts of kinda calm as does he. But the more damge you do to him, the more he starts going crazy lighting the place on fire and the music starts to get faster and more dramatic, truely one of the best single player experiences I've ever had. Cat and mouse with a flamethrower wielding maniac.

I totally agree with you. Especially the part where..
    You're crawling through the microwave corridor in split screen. Top half is everyone snakes ever cared about getting owned while you're barely alive struggling to even crawl.

Good god that was excellent. I played it all co-op with my friend (we would switch off each screen, play boss battles more than once). And well, we were completely baked on the herbs the entire game - enhancements for this game are a huge bonus. Plus it was all on a 52" HDTV with surround sound.

I've been working on finishing up MGS3 and I just fought The Fury. I never beat MGS3 when it first came out because my PS2 locked up on me like 6-7 times at a certain point in the game
    early on when you encounter the russian guy drinking whiskey in his office - he's drunk as fuck.

So that was a total bummer not being able to play it when it first came out due to hardware failures. It especially sucks because I KNOW WHAT HAPPENS and have never seen it. =\

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    For a crowning moment of elation?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gKg8qFiAVE&feature=related

ALL AIRCRAFT! FOLLOW MOBIUS ONE!

What made this scene so awesome is that you're built up over the course of the game to a combination of Eric Hartman and Jesus who can turn the tide of battle single handedly. And now, out of respect for YOU, for your final most important mission, all your wingman fly your colors as you scourge the enemy from the skies a final time. Plus, a whole ground assault team is fighting and dying on the ground just so that you can SURVIVE the escape from the fortress. That video above has the 'ground assault' portion shown from another game, but damn if it doesn't tickle the imagination as to what was going on down there.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh crap. World in Conflict, a very fun game, with (I think) a pretty sweet story for a war game. The story is told En Media Res, and your soldiers who have been fighting in Europe for years are finally coming home for a reprieve, then this cutscene plays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU74uWK_MmI

I'm not sure if it was just me, or maybe the crappy music, but man, the guys were just happy to be getting home, taking pictures of the statue of liberty, then they get shot down by fucking assholes. I seriously teared up. The video still gives me shivers.

Verr on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    MGS2 Emma Death.flv

Although it's way to cheesy for me now, (I'm 16 now..) my dad got this game the day it came out. And when I played it and got to this part I teared up a bit.

That was the point in MGS2 where I said okay, fuck this non-lethal shit, time to kill some bitches.
    Marikir wrote: »
    This.

Every time I've reached the end of this game, I just sit and watch. I don't even skip the credits.

maxpayne2.flv

You do know that the hardest difficulty has a different ending
    she lives

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rogue Galaxy! This scene gave me a thick throat. I think it's the song, which is excellent, since the writing/dialogue is all terrible. But it's mainly the section with Gale on the steps. Click through to 1:44, and watch it until the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=623Lvypkl2Y#t=1m44s

This cutscene might not be as good if you haven't played the game, mind. Which I'm guessing most of you haven't.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    FreeSpace 2.
    Losing the Colossus.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    This.

maxpayne2.flv

You do know that the hardest difficulty has a different ending
    she lives

Yep, I know. I don't know which is supposed to be canon...but honestly, it doesn't change the impact for me. I think it's more his last line than what happens to Mona.

Marikir on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yep, I know. I don't know which is supposed to be canon...but honestly, it doesn't change the impact for me. I think it's more his last line than what happens to Mona.

Most people don't know, especially the first time through.

I sat there in silence for a few minutes then went off to hug my wife after that. :(

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    sir_pinch-a-loafsir_pinch-a-loaf #YODORegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    CTRL + F "the end of HL: Episode 2" not found

sir_pinch-a-loaf on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Reducing those Spode-worshiping dickholes' homeworld to a burning, airless cinder was a moment of singularly honorable accomplishment, I felt.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Most people don't know, especially the first time through.

I sat there in silence for a few minutes then went off to hug my wife after that. :(

The first time I played through the game, I knew what was going to happen to her. Just the way the opening scene and her words and the way she was talking...I knew where it was going. So, when it happened and
    she finally dies
    I was amazed I was still hit by it.

Then, playing through on the hardest level,
    they changed it.
    Which is fine...but when I felt the same way, I realized my reaction didn't have to do with Mona...but with Max.

And then following that with the song.

And the last line seen in the credits. Ack. My emotions, they are drained.

Marikir on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    FreeSpace 2.
    Losing the Colossus.

That is one game that is built on beating the ever loving shit out of the game idea of the one super fighter pilot who can win the war.

You know....
    because you LOSE the war.

EDIT: Also the following.

Elite Beat Agents
    The Christmas Song

Super Mario Galaxy
    Mommy was sleeping under the tree. oh my god this is a mario game i wasn't prepared...

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Another downer, but they don't get much more heart-rending than this.

Lunar: Eternal Blue's 'normal' ending:

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Htown wrote: »
    FreeSpace 2.
    Losing the Colossus.

That is one game that is built on beating the ever loving shit out of the game idea of the one super fighter pilot who can win the war.

You know....

Not to mention
    Most people died in the supernova and probably never saw the "good" ending where you live

Robman on
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Htown wrote: »
    FreeSpace 2.
    Losing the Colossus.

You know....

FreeSpace 2 really puts you through the rollercoaster.
    Take that you bug-fuckers, YOUR CAPITAL SHIP IS BLOWN TO BITS BITE US YOU ALIEN...

Wait...

What?

Another?

Anothers?

They have how many? What? What?

Fuck.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is it too obvious to say all of Majora's Mask?
    The abnormal tree...it was his son, his son!

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Not to mention "DIVE DIVE DIVE, ENGAGE BURNERS PILOTS!"

Also "THIS IS COMMAND SIGNING OFF, GODSPEED PILOTS!"

Robman on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
    Finding and entering the Hyrule Castle. It was an overwhelming sense of nostalgia.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pretty much all of Crisis Core, but especially the end fight/ending. My god it was an experience.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Robman wrote: »

Scariest moment in gaming, right there. No joke.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Robman wrote: »

Also "THIS IS COMMAND SIGNING OFF, GODSPEED PILOTS!"

It's "DIVE, DIVE, DIVE, HIT YOUR BURNERS PILOT!"

Missquoting my namesake is punishable by death under the GTVA Security Act, Deneb Convention, Section 2135.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Almost the entirety of Digital Devil Saga 2's endgame, but this in particular:

You big jerk. I hadn't thought about that game in years. *sniff*

Two more RPG endings to consider:

Shadow Hearts 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRS0uPzkFJs

Yuri deicdes to stay behind and die rather then forget himself and everyone he knows because of the curse that he has been trying to get rid of the whole game, only to find himself back at the beginning of the first game. He has returned to the happiest moment of his entire life: when he met Alice.

Eternal Sonata
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcZHJiwoYZk

I admit that the game contains almost every concievable JRPG cliche, but Chopin living out his final moments in a dream world in his head, playing his piano in a field choked me up.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    CTRL + F "the end of HL: Episode 2" not found

Oh my god, the first time I played the ending to this game my whole family was there, and I started tearing up.

My mum was all "Holy hell, video games have come a long way."

Igort on
  • Options
    VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Deus Ex is another, in which pretty much the whole thing is a emotional roller coaster.
    One particular moment that stands out is when you board a Chinese freighter,
    Which has a virus-bomb, which you then (depending on your choice) blow up (the freighter). The captain, who you may have just killed, has a desktop computer. Upon hacking in and starting to go through his stuff, you come to realize, the only reason he has been working for the bad guys, is that they have his daughter held hostage, and that, do to the fact that you just killed him, preventing him from succeeding, and that they are going to execute his wife and daughter now.

One of the email reads like,
    "daddy? i hope you are reading this, mommy says i have to be gud because the bad men say bad things, please help dad

i love you.

-ki-lee"

Way to go asshole.

Verr on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fable II: Anytime anyone did anything bad to my dog. By the end of the game it was my dog. Wandering down Bowerstone some random NPC kicked my dog. Pure/Good be damned, I murdered that fucker on the spot. You don't mess with my dog. Also, the 3 choices of endings? Yeah...there was only one choice.

Homeworld 2: Totally random but I got all mushy when you abandon your mothership to get in Sajuuk. I'm not entirely sure why, but I did.

FFX: She just wanted to hold him! :( Also skydiving hi5's FTW! Pretty much the entire ending is perfect. I don't care what anyone says, FFX is my favorite FF, and I've been playing FF's since FF1 when I was 8 and my uncle lent it to me after seeing that I liked Dragon Warrior that I got for free with my Nintendo Power sub. I also loved FFX-2 but I'm a sappy loser. I should really sit down and replay them.

LoZ: Twilight Princess: Anytime you have to say bye to someone knowing you'll never see them again is a real tear jerker for me.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm getting really really protective of Dogmeat in Fallout 3. I was so scared when
    you go to GNR and the Behemoth zooms out, I was like HOLY FUCK NOOO DOGMEAT, WHO CARES ABOUT THESE BROTHERHOOD BITCHES MY DOGMEAAT!

Robman on