As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Your most emotional game moments - There's no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

12345679»

• Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    Is there a good timeline somewhere of all the MGS stuff that isn't confusing as hell?

If you have a PS3, you can actually download a program that maps out the events, gives character bios, etc. it's pretty cool, and free.

Or you could check out the Metal Gear Wiki which I help run. I would recommend downloading the MGS4 Database for PS3, but it actually has a bunch of little wierd mistakes in it, so it's not the best thing to look at.

Igort on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dunxco wrote: »
    No constant reposting of that "thing" that happens at the end of Disk 1 in Final Fantasy VII.

This is my biggest gripe. Yes it's a pivitol moment in the story. Yes it changes it a lot. Yes it's incredibly famous throughout the gaming community. One post of it is enough, and I'll go with a first-come, first-get basis. If I see more than one video of it in this thread, the gloves are coming off. You're free to discuss it until you go blue in the face (as per rule 1), but let's not hold the thread up with reposts of that bit.

Then I'll go ahead and mention the scene that hit me much harder emotionally than that.

Final Fantasy VII:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp8YXjVVNbs

As you've no doubt heard me say before, I vastly prefer Tifa over Aerith. Keep in mind I had nothing against the latter, and "that scene" certainly struck an emotional cord with me (especially with the other party members each giving their final farewell, my favorite being Tifa's as she caresses her dear friend's face before running off in tears).

But I felt much more sympathetic over Tifa's struggles following that scene, which is basically an emotional rollercoaster that slams right into a wall during this pivotal moment. After all the crap that's happened, it seemed like a sparking ray of hope to reunite with Cloud again, only to find him as a pathetic, incoherent vegetable. The following moment where Tifa just breaks down in despair, no longer able to keep a strong facade, it's just.....man. :(

And even afterward, where she chooses to stay by Cloud's side despite abandoning all her friends, and hating herself for doing so...basically the entirety of Disc 2 is just one big depressing experience.

It's also something that I am eagerly and hopefully going to adapt. I continue to brainstorm ideas and scenarios, but I can say with confidence that I've got the entirety of Disc 2 and 3 planned out.
    jack eddy wrote: »
    I would say the most emotional moment in FF7 is actually begining to mid disc two, where Tife wakes up, talks to Barret then
    He opens the shutters on the airship, the camera pans as she's talking, then it shows meteor up in the sky, the music hits heavy. It works incredibly well because the confusion of everything going on, the loss of cloud after already losing Aerith, the question of Cloud being HER Cloud or just a clone absorbing memories, and on top of all that, Sephiroth won. The meteor was summoned, and the insurmountable futility of those few seconds is a real bummer.

And before she can even recover from that...
    Hey, nice to see you've finally awakened!

Well, time for you to be publicly executed in the most painful manner possible! :)

Like I said, Disc 2 is just depressing.

And just to go off on an FF tangent:

Final Fantasy IV:

Rydia's entire story about losing her mother, and yet continuing to love and support the person responsible is honestly one of the best RPG backstories I've ever seen.

And the whole portion of the game where you think she was killed by Leviathan is also uber depressing (not including Palom and Porom's sacrifice along with Tellah's fatal battle with Golbez). It's something I wish would be expanded on, but I can only imagine the pain Cecil was feeling when he was told that the sweet, innocent girl he vowed to protect was killed in such a brutal fashion.

But I think the real emotional moment is revisiting Rydia's hometown, where you can visit her house and see the two empty beds. There's no dialogue whatsoever, it's just added as a simple aesthetic. But man, when you consider everything that happened.... :(

Final Fantasy V:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-pAMCwleLA

There isn't a more manly death in FF's history (minus Crisis Core) than Galuf's. Similar to Tellah's last stand but on steroids, Galuf battles Ex-Death alone, WHILE ON FIRE, gets hit with every major spell at once, and after giving everything he has, finally collapses.

Oh, and for the tired meme about how the party didn't use a Phoenix Down on Aerith, FFV's group tries every item and spell at their disposal to revive Galuf....but to no avail.

Final Fantasy VI:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok6qjPj7O3g

Yeah, 'nuff said. This, to me, is much ballsier than Aerith's death, and it's never been topped.

Final Fantasy IX:
    Vivi. Just....Vivi.

Final Fantasy X:

The group finally reaches Zanarkand, but takes some time to bid farewell to their beloved Yuna, fully aware of her role to play in the halting of Sin. Tears are shed, hugs are given, and then with silent determination, the group marches forward to Zanarkand....

And then this song plays

Final Fantasy XI:

How strange that an FF MMO happens to have one of the best standard FF stories ever written. In addition to whatever group of people you choose to team up with, Chain of Promathia has its own dedicated story that features its own NPC party of people. And standing above these characters is Prishe, one of the best female characters ever, right up there with Tifa and Celes.

Prishe's entire story is a sad one, as someone who is cursed with an immortal life and being branded as "cursed" and "abhorent", shunned by her entire society. But rather than be bogged down by that hatred, she stands tall with a haughty, optimistic outlook and absolute badassery. She gives fate the finger and tells her people "piss off, I'm saving all of you anyway!". Her relationship with Ulimia, her childhood friend, is one of the more tender relationships in an FF game, and is unique in that it's a defining relationship that focuses on friendship rather than romance (take off the yuri goggles, they do nothing).

And your reward for sticking with CoP's incredibly difficult missions is a wonderful ending sequence where Prishe is finally allowed to "live", and a great ending theme and sequences that's pretty much the best way to end your FFXI subscription.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDNVZrCQ0HA

The fact that CoP's main director is going to be in charge of directing FFXIV has me instantly sold.

Final Fantasy XIII:

Already? Yep, it was just the demo, but already there was a touching moment that eclipsed pretty much anything in FFXII.
    In Snow's scenario, he requests assistance from the refuges to help him take on the PSI-COM soldiers. He asks this one able-bodied boy to join up, but he's simply too terrified to help.

So his middle-aged mother volunteers instead, doing what she can to protect her son.

It's just a couple of scenes in and already the mom's a fan favorite, defending Snow with an RPG (irony?), but unfortunately he wasn't able to return the favor. It was a great way to end the demo.....too bad we can't actually play it for ourselves.

This fan video is the best thing I could find on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkuBs6HM7Yo

Advent Children Complete:
    As I mentioned in my latest blog post, the new footage has greatly enhanced the original movie, adding a lot of backstory that it's no longer valid to dismiss it as a mindless action flick.

Denzel's short flashback in the movie was powerfully done, with the haunting FFVII melody and the use of its strong CG to show some great facial expressions. Another favorite is the pig-tailed girl with the Moogle doll (fun fact, her dubbed voice plays Aerith in Crisis Core), who no longer just shows up randomly, but has a bunch of added scenes to make you care about her plight. The way she just casually mention's her little brother's passing is just really well done.

Of course, I can't help but worry about her fate considering in Dirge of Cerberus.....

Dirge of Cerberus:

Yeah yeah, worst game ever made, killed the FFVII franchise, blah blah blah. It still had some nice cutscenes, including a few rather dark moments as a result of some really sadistic villains.

So in this opening CG movie, the townspeople are celebrating after three years of Meteor attacks and Sephiroth clones, thinking that their troubles are finally over.

Suddenly, a bunch of heavily armored guys appear and just go apeshit on the crowd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hAj58yOTSg

For the people they didn't mow down with gunfire, they take in as hostages, including a little girl with a Moogle doll. She doesn't immediately resemble the one from AC, but it is one year later. Regardless, there's a girl in trouble, and Vincent has to rescue her.

Except....

I couldn't find an english clip

If you can stomach playing as Cait Sith in a forced stealth mission, you'll witness what happened to those people kidnapped in the intro.

Turns out Deep Ground's objective, in addition to killing every single living person, is to gather up the remaining people and feed them to Omega. Once the clip ends, you see a familiar Moogle doll floating up from the liquid.

That's pretty damn harsh. This isn't the first FF to show a child killed onscreen (now that I think about it, it happens quite a bit), but considering how the opening practically motivated you to save her, it's a bit of a shock that you'll never get the chance.

So yeah, it's a bit of a guilty pleasure to put a bullet into the head of every psychotic soldier that made up Deep Ground. You really gotta feel bad for the NPCs, though. After three calamities, I can't help but wonder how many are left.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I personally would add one more to that.

Final Fantasy IV
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmxkNNH7EJ0&feature=PlayList&p=7217130B37D03856&index=11

"It was almost like we had gained an older brother" :cry:
    I realize that's not the end, and they do come back eventually, but that scene still always hit me for some reason.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I haven't seen the DS version, but while that scene was emotional, I just wasn't a big fan of those two.
    It's like they replaced Rydia with two uglier, less interesting kids. :(

I'd link their Nintendo Power artwork, but I want to sleep tonight.

• Options
    edited June 2009
    I haven't seen the DS version, but while that scene was emotional, I just wasn't a big fan of those two.

twins.jpg

Couldn't resist >.>

If anyone wants to gouge out their eyes even more...

http://spoonybard.org/fanlisting/media.php?nintendo

Zerokku on
  • Options
    CalaveronCalaveron Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

If you've only played the Easytype version, then you'll appreciate them a lot more in the DS version. Both are extremely useful and strong, and you do grow attached to the two little bastards.

Really, every death scene in FF4, even the "fake" ones, were expertly done in the DS version.

Just remembered this one a bit after you meet Edge The Four Fiends theme is still one of the coolest pieces of video game music done. So emotional and kickass.

Calaveron on
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The Witcher had a number of these
    Slaying both Dagon, a god, and the Wild Hunt, the embodiment of death, I felt like the most incredible badass to have ever lived.

Also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_UhmuYcPyc&feature=related

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Calaveron wrote: »

If you've only played the Easytype version, then you'll appreciate them a lot more in the DS version. Both are extremely useful and strong, and you do grow attached to the two little bastards.

Really, every death scene in FF4, even the "fake" ones, were expertly done in the DS version.

Just remembered this one a bit after you meet Edge The Four Fiends theme is still one of the coolest pieces of video game music done. So emotional and kickass.

Gotta agree with this. As for Battle with the four Fiends, the black mages version is the best -

But we're getting on a bit of a tangent so I'll leave it at that.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Zerokku wrote: »
    Emotional may be the wrong word, but beating earthbound after reading this -

WARNING! PROBABLY NSFW! ALSO MAJOR ENDGAME SPOILERS!
    http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Scary+Womanizing+Pig+Mask/the-hidden-themes-of-the-end-of-earthbound-as-recommenced-by-chad-concelmo--79495.phtml#

Read that and you'll never look at that game quite the same way again. The ending definately made me think a lot more then it would have.

Can - open.

Worms - everywhere.
    I still feel sorry for Giygas. It's like some great, terrible beast that doesn't know what it's doing and can't understand the pain it's causing :(

Dunxco on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Scary+Womanizing+Pig+Mask/the-hidden-themes-of-the-end-of-earthbound-as-recommenced-by-chad-concelmo--79495.phtml#

Read that and you'll never look at that game quite the same way again. The ending definately made me think a lot more then it would have.

Can - open.

Worms - everywhere.
    I still feel sorry for Giygas. It's like some great, terrible beast that doesn't know what it's doing and can't understand the pain it's causing :(
    And you performed a cosmic abortion on it. Makes you think huh?

Zerokku on
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Can - open.

Worms - everywhere.
    And you performed a cosmic abortion on it. Makes you think huh?
    I wonder if pro-life gamers ever consider that... NO! BAD DUNXCO!

Dunxco on
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dourin wrote: »
    This is probably a given, but this scene from Lost Odyssey has brought me closer to tears than any other form of entertainment ever has. And that's saying something, as one of my favorite movies is The Notebook.

That said, the Dreams from the game were also, most times, very, very sad.

A bit late with this quote but this very much. Lost Odyssey made me tear up so many times through the course of the game I felt like a little girl.

Especially that first dream sequence about
    the little girl and Kaim coming back to see her and she dies right there in the bed while he watches.
    I cried :(

Also the Dream about
    One of his best friends marrying this girl he liked but she liked Kaim and then she kills herself since she cant take it anymore and Kaim just kept sending her letters telling her to be strong.
    Shit was so sad. Man. Lost Odyssey ate at me.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Almost the entirety of Digital Devil Saga 2's endgame, but this in particular:

You big jerk. I hadn't thought about that game in years. *sniff*

Two more RPG endings to consider:

Shadow Hearts 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRS0uPzkFJs

Yuri deicdes to stay behind and die rather then forget himself and everyone he knows because of the curse that he has been trying to get rid of the whole game, only to find himself back at the beginning of the first game. He has returned to the happiest moment of his entire life: when he met Alice.

Eternal Sonata
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcZHJiwoYZk

I admit that the game contains almost every concievable JRPG cliche, but Chopin living out his final moments in a dream world in his head, playing his piano in a field choked me up.

As much as I enjoyed SH2, both of its endings infuriated me, because they both raise too many questions.

So if we accept the good ending, then Karin gets sent to the past and meets Yuri's dad, and thus....becomes his mom? She can't get with Yuri, so she lets the dad bone her instead? And wouldn't her knowledge of events allow her to change history or something? And is she replacing the woman who was originally Yuri's mom, or is it one of those "she was always meant to be his mom" deals?

Also, if Yuri is relieving the moment he meets Alice, is it because he went back in time? Or is it like some sort of infinite purgatory where he just experiences the first game over and over?

If we accept the other ending, with Yuri loses his memory, then....wait for a sequel?

Too many damn plotholes.

And even though Eternal Sonata had an obnoxiously long ending that ramped up its pretentiousness a thousand-fold, AND didn't properly explain Polka's role in everything....it was still well done, and that piano bit pretty much made the whole thing worth it.

• Options
    Bullfrogof7272Bullfrogof7272 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    the first time i played through fallout 3 i made a decision not to reload a save to fix a poor decision or anything of that sort, i wanted to "live" with my mistakes w/e. So when Dogmeat ate it after i had had him following me for something like 10 levels i stood over his corpse thinking fuck... My wife walked into the room right after this happened and saw me lookin down at my poor dead dogmeat and said "aw yer doggy died" with real sympathy in her voice and i seriously almost shed a tear.

I did not reload a previous save, but killed supermutants extra fucking hard from that moment on.

Bullfrogof7272 on
    the hammer, is my penis.
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    mastrius wrote: »
    Dourin wrote: »
    This is probably a given, but this scene from Lost Odyssey has brought me closer to tears than any other form of entertainment ever has. And that's saying something, as one of my favorite movies is The Notebook.

That said, the Dreams from the game were also, most times, very, very sad.

A bit late with this quote but this very much. Lost Odyssey made me tear up so many times through the course of the game I felt like a little girl.

Especially that first dream sequence about
    the little girl and Kaim coming back to see her and she dies right there in the bed while he watches.
    I cried :(

Also the Dream about
    One of his best friends marrying this girl he liked but she liked Kaim and then she kills herself since she cant take it anymore and Kaim just kept sending her letters telling her to be strong.

I should not have read those spoilers.

:cry:

If you can read those stories without at least getting misty, you have no soul.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    bikkibikkibobikkibikkibo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

good god I remember all of that artwork from when I was a kid. AWFUL.

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    dogmeat was even more of a fucking idiot dog in fallout 3 so I didn't give it a second look when he inevitably died after charging 11 mirelurk hunters while I was sneaking around them

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I've yet to acquire Dogmeat for precisely the situations you guys mentioned. I wanted to brush up first on when would be a good time to get him, and what I can do to keep him alive.

Does he follow you at all times throughout the game, or is there like a doghouse or something that you can keep him in?

• Options
    Bullfrogof7272Bullfrogof7272 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've yet to acquire Dogmeat for precisely the situations you guys mentioned. I wanted to brush up first on when would be a good time to get him, and what I can do to keep him alive.

Does he follow you at all times throughout the game, or is there like a doghouse or something that you can keep him in?

you can tell him to wait where he is, or to return to your house once you have it. And i was fastidiously careful with him, if i knew i was gonna have to be sneaky or go through a mined area i'd tell him to wait. But i got jumped in the middle of nowhere by 4 supermutants and a super mutant commander captain thing. Before i was able to get my shit together enough to tell him to run he had gotten his ass destroyed but it did give me the breathing space necessary to take em all out. I were sad :(

Bullfrogof7272 on
    the hammer, is my penis.
  • Options
    washoutwashout Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've just made a play through of Mass Effect as a complete dick renegade, killing everyone I could get away with.

It's the most awesome shooting helpless people in the head simulator I have ever played. I must have executed 10 people prison style in cut scenes throughout the course of the game and every new one made me laugh harder than the one before.

It was quite possibly the most fun I've had playing a game in a long time, and would have been better than KOTOR if I could have been more evil instead of just a "renegade".
    Letting the council die and then siding with the dick politician to take over the universe was one of my best game moments as well!

washout on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man, I don't even know why I'm reading this thread. I find myself skimming and zipping past anything that looks too important in the hopes of not spoiling something for myself.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    ParadisoParadiso Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Also the Dream about

If I recall correctly, it's worse than that.
    Kaim never wrote those letters. Her husband would intercept the ones written by his wife, read them, and then post them along to Kaim. He'd then craft a caring reply and write back pretending to be Kaim.

Paradiso on
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Paradiso wrote: »
    Also the Dream about

If I recall correctly, it's worse than that.
    Kaim never wrote those letters. Her husband would intercept the ones written by his wife, read them, and then post them along to Kaim. He'd then craft a caring reply and write back pretending to be Kaim.
    Yeah, it was pretty messed up. Kaim thought that she should be strong by herself, and so didn't reply or offer any support. Her husband, who she didn't love and would have gladly left for Kaim, responded pretending to be Kaim so that she at least had some support. Then she kills herself, Kaim gets mad at the guy for not making her happy, and the husband gets mad at Kaim for not supporting her.

AnteCantelope on