As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Your most emotional game moments - There's no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Homeworld 2: Totally random but I got all mushy when you abandon your mothership to get in Sajuuk. I'm not entirely sure why, but I did.

Because it was your godamn Mothership! I always hated, and still hate, having to leave behing the Mothership for boring Sajuuk.

Where's my godamn Homeworld 3?

And Freespace 3.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Tales of Symphonia:
    The part near the end where all your party members seemingly die so Lloyd can continue on to face the crazed angel guy is downright depressing, even when you know that they are all okay and rejoin you five minutes later.

Ocarina of Time:
    Facing Ganon at the young age of ten years old after he knocks away the Master Sword. That was quite the "Oh, crap..." moment. My brother and I actually found out you could simply run behind him and hit his tail with the hammer without having to fire Light Arrows into his face to stun him first.

Also, seeing Hyrule Castle Town absolutely demolished and infected with those Redeads was quite creepy.

Skies of Arcadia:
    There are just so many instances where you feel like a total badass in that game. Go ahead, become the first person to not only escape from the massive empire once but twice, in addition to stealing their super-powerful prototype airship in the process. Hell, while you're at it, why don't you become the first person to traverse the Dark Rift as well as delve down to the bottom of the "endless" skies and fly up into outerspace?

And then there's the part where pretty much everyone in the entire world forms this massive army under you to take out the villian's floating fortress.

I second the motion of Crisis Core's ending. I disliked much of the game, but damn it if I'm not entirely convinced that you cannot somehow
    win that fight.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Homeworld 2: Totally random but I got all mushy when you abandon your mothership to get in Sajuuk. I'm not entirely sure why, but I did.

Because it was your godamn Mothership! I always hated, and still hate, having to leave behing the Mothership for boring Sajuuk.

And Freespace 3.

Homeworld 2 and Freespace 2 both sold like they came packaged with aids, so sadly not going to happen on either count

Robman on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    Homeworld 2 and Freespace 2 both sold like they came packaged with aids

I just about choked on my coffee. Holy hell. :lol:

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    When I played The Legend of Dragoon long ago, I got really invested into that game world and story. When the end credits rolled, after that long and epic journey with characters I loved, I felt so sad. The journey was over. There are only a few games that have made me feel that way, but Dragoon is the one that really stands out ahead of all the others.

And for those that passed that game off, it's a slow burn. It only picks up once you hit the third disc, and really gets moving on the fourth.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    nlawalkernlawalker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Igort wrote: »
    CTRL + F "the end of HL: Episode 2" not found

Oh my god, the first time I played the ending to this game my whole family was there, and I started tearing up.

My mum was all "Holy hell, video games have come a long way."

Dammit, you just reminded me that it is highly likely that the Half Life story will never have a satisfying conclusion.

nlawalker on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Majora's Mask:

6:12

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

And Freespace 3.

Homeworld 2 and Freespace 2 both sold like they came packaged with aids, so sadly not going to happen on either count

They're both in relatively niche genres, how badly could they have sold?

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    StrikerkcStrikerkc Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    A few of mine:

1) It's pretty hard to not feel like an absolute bad ass durring any Death Star trench run.

2) Doing Halo 1 co-op with a friend on Legendary, and actualy doing well, is one of the most rewarding experiences in gameing I've ever had. At any given moment we didn't even know what weapons we were using or what grenades we were throwing, things were so hectic, and it was quicker to pick up another gun than to reolad, and there was no way we were actualy going to stop and look for more ammo for the gun we had.

3) BioShock
    Should be common knowledge, but I'll spoiler any ways
    It's pretty clear, from early on, that Atlas is probably a pretty big dirt bag aswell. But finaly getting to the room with the connected pictures, the radio logs, and "Would you Kindly" scrawled on the wall, there was very little to do other than mutter "Montha-F$!%@" under your breath, and hope you got a chance to off the bastard.

4) BioShock (again)
    Stalking and killing Big Dadies for sport, like some distopian big game hunter is a blast. I wish there were a button to make Jack rest his foot on a slain big Dady's diving helmet and then take a hit from a well chewed cigar. So rewarding to take them down on hard, even halfway through the game.

My father watched me fight one once...
    [Me] "See that thing? I'm about to fight it."
    *Reloads pistol with armor peircing rounds
    *Redloads rocket launcher
    *Reloads machine gun with armor peircing rounds
    *Reloads crossbow with trap bolts
    [Dad]"Are you actualy going to need all of those?..."
    *Reloads shotgun with electric shells
    *Shoots up with Eve
    [Me]"Yup"

Strikerkc on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    FS2 very badly, because Interplay stole $40 000 or so/missmanaged.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    nlawalker wrote: »
    Igort wrote: »
    CTRL + F "the end of HL: Episode 2" not found

Oh my god, the first time I played the ending to this game my whole family was there, and I started tearing up.

My mum was all "Holy hell, video games have come a long way."

Dammit, you just reminded me that it is highly likely that the Half Life story will never have a satisfying conclusion.

Especially since Valve don't seem to be working on HL2: EP3 at all. :(

Igort on
  • Options
    Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lots of moments in Grim Fandango:
    The End

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fxZcxo-5r8

I can't make it through that without tearing up.

Also, Mass Effect:
    Calling in the Alliance fleet to save the Council's ass, running up the outside of the Citadel, killing Saren, Joker leads the final attack run on the Sovereign, Sheperd climbs out of the rubble and strikes his "oh yeah, I just saved the galaxy fuckers" poser... most epic moment in any video game I've played.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKIbuNajk6U&feature=related

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mr-razzcocksmr-razzcocks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    One part of a game that really took me by surprise was the second Brothers In Arms game. You're on the last mission, you see your buddy Seamus across the way, when suddenly
    a tank shell blows him to pieces, and one of your squad dies dragging you into cover

Of course, it was dulled slightly by the fact that you lose your entire squad in every level and they just get reincarnated at the start of the next one, but what the hey, I thought it was a powerful moment.

mr-razzcocks on
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Psychonauts, you can probably guess what scene I'm talking about

Tertiee on
  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The end scene of the Darkness was some fucking compelling shit. Definatley left me with blurry vision.
    Combined with the couch scene at the start of the game which has already been mentioned. I couldnt believe they managed to make something like that seem so natural in a game.

I mean... i didnt want to leave. I knew if i did something bad would happen. :(

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rhythm Heaven: 49 Perfects, last one is Moai 2. There's a specific point I always fail at. I worked on it for a week straight, then burnt out and left it for a while, then picked it up every once and a while for an hour or so, failing at the same place every time, but varying slightly. I went on YouTube and found a video of someone perfecting it and tried to match the beats they did when I played and got somewhere slightly, but it wasn't enough. But then finally, one day, the pattern clicked in my head and I figured out what I was doing wrong. I finally got past that point and out of elation and surprise, promptly failed on the next section. Encouraged, I tried again, managed to get past my nemesis point, and continued on. A slow build of elation for each successful tap from then on, until finally, after a month of off-and-on playing I perfected that bitch. It took all of my willpower to not spike my DS in celebration.

Metroid Prime: My friend got the game on release, my friends and I were watching him play in his dark basement and that first time you encounter a Metroid, we all basically freaked out partially from geekiness and partially because that bitch basically came out of nowhere and surprised us.

Opty on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    street fighter 4. . .

after much debate some local historians found out that Hitler wanted to kill the jews because they played Akuma and Sagat and just spammed cheese tactics until he rage-third-reich'd.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Witchsight wrote: »
    The end scene of the Darkness was some fucking compelling shit. Definatley left me with blurry vision.
    Combined with the couch scene at the start of the game which has already been mentioned. I couldnt believe they managed to make something like that seem so natural in a game.

Yeah, the Darkness has like three scenes that are just heart-tugging.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The ending of Braid is definitely something.

And there's pretty much constantly a tug on your heartstrings whenever you're playing a Team ICO game. The characters in those games just feel like real peopel in a way that no one else has been able to duplicate.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My bf at the time got me to play FF 3 for Snes, i never was into rpg games but he promised me i would like this one. It was my first RPG game i ever played. I -cried- when the world ended...

(sorry at work, YouTube is cockblocked)

And i don't care what anyone says, Kefka's laugh is legendary!

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
  • Options
    NerfThatManNerfThatMan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I remember getting really hyped up during the fight with Andross in Starfox64. Just knowing that that goddamn monkey killed my dad!

Grrr.

NerfThatMan on
    PSN: corporateshill
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The ending of Halo 3.

I know, I know, there isn't much there in game. But since I read really much all the novels available before starting, Chief was such a more developed and human character to me.

It was just the way, after Cortona said "It's been an honour working with you, Sir." he relaxed as if he knew it was finally over. He'd won.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The ending of Halo 3.

I know, I know, there isn't much there in game. But since I read really much all the novels available before starting, Chief was such a more developed and human character to me.

It was just the way, after Cortona said "It's been an honour working with you, Sir." he relaxed as if he knew it was finally over. He'd won.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My emotional moments are almost always tied to music. Everyone's always joking about the countdown to tears, and predicting when games can make us cry, but the opening notes of the Shadow of the Colossus soundtrack makes me misty eyed every goddamn time. The MGS 4 "Love theme" is another good example, as the actual story in that game would never evoke a response similar to what that music does to me.

Also, the final stage of Ace Combat 4, and various sequences in the Silent Hill games. I doubt any of them would have had the same impact without the score. So, yeah, I'm an absolute sucker for soundtracks; they are consistently the catalyst for my emotional moments, even in games that aren't particularly melodramatic or what have you.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    This thread is doing horrible things to my backlog. I've never played the Ace Combat games, but just from the video posted of AC4 (which I cancelled early to avoid spoilering things) I may have to pick it up.

And apparently the ground combat section is from Frontlines: Fuel of War. Which also looks like it might be fun. And supposedly has [strike]50-player[/strike] 64-player online on the PC, but do people still play this?

And it's not out for PS3, so I'd have to get a 360 or get it on PC ...

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Blurbl wrote: »
    The ending of Halo 3.

Halo has always been an easy story to get sucked into. It's not too complicated or genre-challenging, just a highly polished space marines story.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The ending of Halo 3.

Halo has always been an easy story to get sucked into. It's not too complicated or genre-challenging, just a highly polished space marines story.

I really need to find out what kind of wax job Master Chief gets, because that suit is shiny as fuck.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The ending of Halo 3.

I really need to find out what kind of wax job Master Chief gets, because that suit is shiny as fuck.

Probably the full brazillian because I bet hair would chafe something fierce against his inner armour layers.

Robman on
  • Options
    PacifistPacifist Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The Darkness
    Half Life 2 (Alyx wtf)

Pacifist on
    XBL: Pacifist NJ
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This thread is doing horrible things to my backlog. I've never played the Ace Combat games, but just from the video posted of AC4 (which I cancelled early to avoid spoilering things) I may have to pick it up.

And apparently the ground combat section is from Frontlines: Fuel of War. Which also looks like it might be fun. And supposedly has [strike]50-player[/strike] 64-player online on the PC, but do people still play this?

And it's not out for PS3, so I'd have to get a 360 or get it on PC ...

Do yourself a favor and get Ace Combat 4, 5, and Zero. You can usually find them used for around 10 bucks each. EACH game has its own spectacular set pieces and mind blowingly awesome music.

Your wingmen can get a bit whiny in 5, but the last few missions make up for it entirely.

Plus you get to fly, essentially, the Ghost X-9 fighter from Macross Plus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK9gH3-PfFk

This trailer always got me super psyched for Mercenary Demon Lord action, plus "Zero" is tied with "Megalith" for my favorite AC music:

FIRE AWAY COWARD!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTxCrcg4uYI

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Gyral wrote: »
    Witchsight wrote: »

Yeah, the Darkness has like three scenes that are just heart-tugging.

The following is a question/discussion about The Darkness (can't find a thread on it). Not on topic, so I guess avoid if you want to just move on with this discussion.
    Okay, apparently, I need to look into this game. Looked at the couch scene above and was pretty amazed at the little things in that scene.

So, I'm probably going to go look for it used.

How long a playthrough is it? I've got a little bit of money at the moment and was thinking of finding some cheap, good games I keep hearing about. Crackdown, maybe. This game keeps getting mentioned so...I might give it a shot if it's really engaging.

EDIT: Oh, god damn it, you all are going to make me hunt down AC5 and AC0 too, aren't you?

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    ConnoQuicksilverConnoQuicksilver Current blackout status: Mass Effect 3, Batman: AC Athens. GreeceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    BlackDove wrote: »
    Not to mention "DIVE DIVE DIVE, ENGAGE BURNERS PILOTS!"

Also "THIS IS COMMAND SIGNING OFF, GODSPEED PILOTS!"

It's "DIVE, DIVE, DIVE, HIT YOUR BURNERS PILOT!"

Missquoting my namesake is punishable by death under the GTVA Security Act, Deneb Convention, Section 2135.

Yep, scariest moments in Freespace 2 indeed. How about badass-est moment though?
    "Exodus" mission...
    By this time, you have been though hellfire and brimstone. You have faced every horror the Shivans have in their arsenal, and came through unscathed. You have been personally responsible for the deaths of hundreds of enemies, from the puniest Mara fighter to an entire Sathanas juggernaut (ok, you just disarmed it, but still...). You have proved your excellence, and Allied Command has justly recognized this, giving you command of an elite fighter squadron at their gravest time of need.

Your squadron warps in just as the allied transports and medical ship are begging for assistance. The Nebtuu, a damaged Vasudan corvette is the only thing standing between them and the Shivan corvette Abraxis and 2 squadrons of bombers, hell-bent on burning up thousands of civilian refugees. You know instantly what needs to be done to prevent a dissaster, and start barking orders (or hitting multiple keyboard commands, whatever) to all your squadmates to take positions. Within 60 seconds you have disabled the main beam cannon of the Abraxis, allowing the barely operating friendly corvette to finish it off, while your squadron protects it from the bombers.

The Abraxis blows up, and everybody dares to breathe again. The civilians are safe for now, and you can take a few seconds to coolly announce your arrival:

"Continue your mission Nebtuu. The 70th Blue Lions are here to assist."

Now tell me in my face that this isn't a great "FUCK YEAH!" moment, if you dare...
    And then the real shit hits the compressor blades...

ConnoQuicksilver on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Do yourself a favor and get Ace Combat 4, 5, and Zero. You can usually find them used for around 10 bucks each. EACH game has its own spectacular set pieces and mind blowingly awesome music.

How about I get one and determine if it's for me before I add more to my backlog :P

Oh and recent discussion about FS2 means I need to get off my ass and finish that, someone want to suggest a good controller? I don't have a joystick, so can I get by with gamepad + keyboard?

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm shocked that this hasn't been mentioned.

Final Fantasy VI. Cid and Celes in the World of Ruin. Unless you had a strategy guide or walkthrough, NO ONE manages to avoid "that scene" the first time through.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    edited June 2009

How about I get one and determine if it's for me before I add more to my backlog :P

Oh and recent discussion about FS2 means I need to get off my ass and finish that, someone want to suggest a good controller? I don't have a joystick, so can I get by with gamepad + keyboard?

Absolutely

Robman on
  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Marikir wrote: »

The following is a question/discussion about The Darkness (can't find a thread on it).

The game is all autosaves, so i cant say for sure... but it felt like 10-12 hours maybe? There are some optional side missions and the like, but for me the main story felt so important that i had to get it done. Because Jackie Estacado dont take no shit.

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've had a few football games that gave me a feeling of elation beyond belief. One was back in the day playing Tecmo Super Bowl against my buddy. He was up by 6 and I was down near his goalline with about 15 seconds left. I called one last play (it was 4th down, too) and Kenneth Davis, the Bills backup RB and sometimes FB, ran into the corner of the endzone for a pass and caught it. I won by 1. I was jumping up and down and he was really pissed, heh.

Another was in an APF league I was in a while back. The guy was running screens and flats on me all game. It was in OT and he won the toss, so I figured it was over, my D can't stop him. He called a flat pass and I called man 2 hard and my CB jumped the route, knocked the ball up, bobbled it and picked it off. Ran it back for 6. I win!

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rolling with the elation ball, I've got two of them:

1) First time clearing "One" by Metallica on Hard Mode in GH3. I'd been practising until my hands ached, but always lost it at the solo towards the end. Thought "Fuck it" and went out drinking. Came back quite intoxicated and... A miracle occured. It was like some sort of zen-drunk moment when I played it perfectly and got a 5-star. I promptly cheered... Then ran off to throw up and fall asleep. Next day (and since then) I haven't managed to do that well on it.

2) Resident Evil 4, pushing through the last load of Ganados with Mike in his chopper giving you covering fire. The music, the moment, the sheer number of enemies' heads to pop. Glorious.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Reguarding the Nuke aftermath in CoD4.

I recently discovered that if you make it to the park you can hear the faint sound of children playing as you slowly die.

Freespace 2: "Yay! We killed the Shivan Juggernaught!" *Sound of another Juggernaught warping in* "WTF!?" After all the stuff you've doing trying to disable the last one.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The cod4 Nuke was amazing, as it comes JUST after a triumphant moment where you rescue the pilot, and you lie there on the ground crawling around and realise that your heroics were for nothing, and that poor girl is dead.

Actually, Tomb Raider Legend has a part in the final cutscene that made me feel pretty "fuck yeah", but we'll get there eventually in my let's play so I'll leave that one out ;)

Shadow of the colossus, for sure. The whole thing is enormously sad, and I definitely felt sorry for the colossi.

But the winner?

VTM Bloodlines. No other game has ever made me identify with characters anywhere near as strongly. A combination of beautifully done voice acting, genuine choice and first person perspective makes it immersive as all hell. I spent about 4 hours trying to work out how to save one character who dies halfway through because her death saddened me so much :(

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png