As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Your most emotional game moments - There's no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

• Options
    bikkibikkibobikkibikkibo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fig-D wrote: »
    I'm shocked that this hasn't been mentioned.

Final Fantasy VI. Cid and Celes in the World of Ruin. Unless you had a strategy guide or walkthrough, NO ONE manages to avoid "that scene" the first time through.

*tears

Don't remind me.

also..

FFIV
    porom and palom turned to stone! the music always get me in that part as well as the desperation of Tellah to try and revive them.

Suikoden
    Gremio being consumed by flesh eating bacteria (I think thats how it went) to help the rest of your crew survive.

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Fatal3RR0RFatal3RR0R Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Verr wrote: »
    Deus Ex is another, in which pretty much the whole thing is a emotional roller coaster.
    One particular moment that stands out is when you board a Chinese freighter,
    Which has a virus-bomb, which you then (depending on your choice) blow up (the freighter). The captain, who you may have just killed, has a desktop computer. Upon hacking in and starting to go through his stuff, you come to realize, the only reason he has been working for the bad guys, is that they have his daughter held hostage, and that, do to the fact that you just killed him, preventing him from succeeding, and that they are going to execute his wife and daughter now.

One of the email reads like,
    "daddy? i hope you are reading this, mommy says i have to be gud because the bad men say bad things, please help dad

i love you.

-ki-lee"

Way to go asshole.

I barely noticed that on my most recent playthrough.

Man I felt like such a horrible person :(

Fatal3RR0R on
    peachip4sig.png
  • Options
    Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh Deus Ex, that reminds me...
    When you're fighting your way out of prison, you're almost out, and then you realize you're under UNATCO headquaters.

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh shit, someone mentioned Deus Ex

Whelp guess it's time to dust off the install CD

Robman on
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Deus Ex, a masterpiece in every way. Play it.

MGS4:
    The microwave scene, what did you expect? The music, everything was amazing. You will NOT get that experience in any other game, amazing. That part was actually painful, like literally because of the button mashing. God damnit Snake, youre a fucking hero man.

donhonk on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Spector's Law: As a discussion of Deus Ex grows longer, the probability of a reinstallation of the game approaches one.

I'm reinstalling it when I get home, because I still need to play The Nameless Mod.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Robman wrote: »

No.

NO.

NO.

Not while I'm trying to finish my current Mass Effect playthough.

Also, Baldur's Gate II. Reading Minsc's epilogue. Someone please find the text of that, my Google-fu is weak.

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009

No.

NO.

NO.

Not while I'm trying to finish my current Mass Effect playthough.

Also, Baldur's Gate II. Reading Minsc's epilogue. Someone please find the text of that, my Google-fu is weak.

Mass Effect doesnt have an agility augment that allows you leap around buildings, stalking your prey with a Dragon Tooth Sword.

donhonk on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The Darkness had surprisingly good voice acting and an engaging story. You can probably pick it up for like 10 bucks now, and it's definitely worth the price.

Mass Effect, as mentioned earlier, still has the most badass ending I've ever seen. I've finished the game 4 times and loved the ending just as much the first and last time. Everything leading up to it was great as well - I really hope they can keep up the plot in ME2.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    WootloopsWootloops Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Suikoden
    Gremio being consumed by flesh eating bacteria (I think thats how it went) to help the rest of your crew survive.

Hell yes to that one. That was way back in the day, I remember thinking...What? No, no he can't actually be dead!

Good times.

I can't seem to recall any emotional moments from games in recent memory that haven't yet been mentioned, hmm.

I don't think Dead Space has been mentioned - you find logs of this engineer as he survives and tries to save the ship, himself and his girlfriend. There's quite a few audio recordings and text logs, it really builds the character and quickly endears you to him.
    Then he and his woman are killed on screen by a crazed scientist in a completely "Oh Fuck, he deserved better than that!" moment where you're unable to help and can only watch the carnage. I was filled a vengeance fueled rage, but got totally blue balled when I couldn't even get the satisfaction of killing the fucker before he went and necro'd himself.

Excellent pacing, all around.

Wootloops on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bullfrogof7272Bullfrogof7272 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    hrm

Xenogears got me pretty good.

Big shocker FFVII

Silent hill 2 excelled at scaring the bejesus out of me, and then making me sad.

Shadow of the colossus made me misty every time i killed one of those big beautiful giants.

Prototype has recently had me exclaiming in the best way possible on multiple occasions "jesus this game is ridiculous"

The end of HL2:ep2 had me shouting at the screen, "ARGH I JUST WANNA STAND UP AND SHOOT EM!"

Bullfrogof7272 on
    the hammer, is my penis.
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I really can't find it on youtube, which annoys me, but...

Heavenly Sword.
    When Flying Fox drops Kai, effectively hanging her while Nariko watches.

You guys cannot comprehend the JOY that brought me. I couldn't stand Kai. At all. I actually really hate her. So when I saw her drop and stop and swing a little, it was like a kid seeing his Christmas Presents on Christmas Morning.

I was then punched in the dick twice thereafter, not only in the fucking stupid boss battle that ensued, but in the revelation of "OH GUESS WAT NOT DEAD" Almost made me stop playing it for a second time.

Heavenly Sword really did enjoy punching me in the dick.

And yes, I realize that whole thing is at least a little messed up, but KAI WAS THAT ANNOYING.

And Resistance 2 Ending:
    Nooooo no no nonooo

I didn't see it coming myself until Hale turns around. I guess it should've been a little more obvious, but even as it was happening, I couldn't stop saying "No, don't do it." Pretty much the only game that's made me go "Goddamnit" after the ending in a game that wasn't in an angry fashion. I mean, I wasn't happy that he 'died' (Dunno what R3 will bring) but, I mean...Goddamn.

There's others, but I didn't think those two would be in any danger of being over-mentioned.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Knights of the Old Republic 1.

The "Big Twist" blew my goddamned mind.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Final Fantasy VI. Cid and Celes in the World of Ruin. Unless you had a strategy guide or walkthrough, NO ONE manages to avoid "that scene" the first time through.

:^: ....... :(

Freespace 2 ending spoilers:
    Allied command signing off. Godspeed, pilots.
    You could get out, but it was tough.
    Also, Robert Loggia as narrator. :^:

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ogcam777ogcam777 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh god, HL2: E2

I just stared, watching the final scene, through the credits then back to the game menu. After staring at this menu for about 5 minutes and coming to the realization that, yes, thats it, I calmly set the controller down, walked into the other room and stared at the television, not really registering the images on the screen.

Fucking god dammit, Valve.

ogcam777 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    god I CAN NOT fucking wait for Episode 3
    Seriously, that ending of Ep.2....

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My quote in ogcam's sig is actually relevant here.

I'm still waiting for those games, developers. :x

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    Fatal3RR0RFatal3RR0R Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

deus%20ex.jpg

Fatal3RR0R on
    peachip4sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    god I CAN NOT fucking wait for Episode 3
    Seriously, that ending of Ep.2....

PREPARE TO WAIT

donhonk on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    My quote in ogcam's sig is actually relevant here.

I'm still waiting for those games, developers. :x

It pretty much summed up everything I've ever wanted in a game :D

ogcam777 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Here's one that might be rare...

When playing Dead Rising, there is music playing over the PA in the mall, some just is there, but there's one track of music that has no lyrics or anything. It sounds like it's just piano and a flute of some kind. It sounds really soulful, sad, and always set as a reminder that all these zombies I was killing were once people.

I thought that was genius on Capcom's part.

Scotty on
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm well and truly bothered by all the senseless destruction and death in FF IX. That fucking Brahne is even worse than Kuja if you ask me.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Vivi...:(

ogcam777 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    For pure "FUCK YEAH, COLE TRAIN!" moment (yes it's my second Gears 2 reference, but I keep finding stuff I love about it):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTAVTkQx72w

Kastanj, yeah, now that I think about it there is a crapload of death in FFIX. Vivi and the Black Mages on the Dali > Lindblum airship for example. Oh god my chest.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    Cucco LeaderCucco Leader Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Okami really did it for me.
    Especially the section with Oki, Nechku/Lechku, and Shiranui. It had it all. Heroic sacrifice. Self realization. Huge build up. A let's go get some revenge moment.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tG0eB0otbU
    The part that really go me starts at about 6:10. Do the right thing Oki!

Cucco Leader on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    One of the best moments I've ever seen was in The Force Unleashed

MAJOR SPOILER
    When it's revealed that you basically created the rebel alliance. I literally just sat there for a few minutes thinking about that.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My sound screwed up at the big twist in Bioshock. I was so damn confused when
    I started hitting him with the putter.

As for pure terror, pretty much most of STALKER. Even the bits that shouldn't be scary had their moments, namely any god damn time a bandit popped out from behind a corner with a shotgun and unloaded into me.

The first underground section though. Fuck the underground sections. The ambient noises alone were bad. Add that it would be the first place you run into a lot of new enemies and had no idea what they were capable of and it would ruin me.

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm not ashamed to admit that HL2 Ep2 made me cry like a little girl. The only other game I can think of at the moment that made me really feel connected to the characters is Majora's Mask. That game knew how to really set an atmosphere of pure despair.

Okami had a lot of good "payoff" moments. Those times when, yeah things have been pretty bad, but you know what? It's going to be alright now. There's been suffering, and it's still not perfect, but you feel good because you know it's just a matter of time and everyone will be happy again. Those truly satisfying moments.

Mars on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's been dropped a few times, but Majora's Mask.

Good lord, that game was depressing at times.

But not just the regular kind; oh no. We're talking about the stuff that sneaks up on you sideways.

For example:
    When you go into the Postman's house, you see him on his knees praying that he could leave, but he's bound and determined to stick out his duties as the town's postman, whatever the cost.

Right next door there's a swordsman who offers to teach you advanced sword techniques during the game. If you visit him on the third day in the morning/afternoon he boasts about how he will be the one to cut the moon in two and save the town, but in the evening the man has vanished, leaving only a sign saying that he's gone on an extended vacation. If you chop the door-shaped block of wood behind where he was sitting you'll find a secret back room, where he can be found shivering in the corner, saying that he's afraid to die and doesn't want to.

Godfather on
  • Options
    ParadisoParadiso Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lost Odyssey - End of Disc 1
    One of the few death scenes in video games that I really felt connected to.

Bioshock - The Ending (yes, I know)
    We all know the twist was pretty well-done, and I think Atlas losing his family was also engaging.

Call me a sucker, but I found the good ending really touching. Tenenbaum's narration asks, and then answers, why you would save the Little Sisters at the same point we see them growing up, marrying, having children and then resting their hands on yours as you lay dying.

I got a a big dopey smile when I saw that and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Paradiso on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Godfather wrote: »

But not just the regular kind; oh no. We're talking about the stuff that sneaks up on you sideways.

For example:
    When you go into the Postman's house, you see him on his knees praying that he could leave, but he's bound and determined to stick out his duties as the town's postman, whatever the cost.

Right next door there's a swordsman who offers to teach you advanced sword techniques during the game. If you visit him on the third day in the morning/afternoon he boasts about how he will be the one to cut the moon in two and save the town, but in the evening the man has vanished, leaving only a sign saying that he's gone on an extended vacation. If you chop the door-shaped block of wood behind where he was sitting you'll find a secret back room, where he can be found shivering in the corner, saying that he's afraid to die and doesn't want to.
    What in the

I have never seen that guy before.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ganluan wrote: »
    The Darkness had surprisingly good voice acting and an engaging story. You can probably pick it up for like 10 bucks now, and it's definitely worth the price.

I don't understand all the love that The Darkness gets.

The writing and voice acting was extremely generic, and the couch scene was poorly executed and weird.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Godfather wrote: »

For example:

I've played Majora's Mask through at least four times and I've never seen that.

Peewi on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SoaL wrote: »
    My sound screwed up at the big twist in Bioshock. I was so damn confused when
    I started hitting him with the putter.
    As much as I feel bad for you, that's fucking hysterical!

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    donhonk wrote: »
    Deus Ex, a masterpiece in every way. Play it.

MGS4:
    The microwave scene, what did you expect? The music, everything was amazing. You will NOT get that experience in any other game, amazing. That part was actually painful, like literally because of the button mashing. God damnit Snake, youre a fucking hero man.

It makes me violently angry that Deus Ex: Invisible War fucked things up so badly.

They should seriously make a *true* sequel starring JC and pretend like nothing in that "game" ever happened.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I know someone mentioned the BG2 ToB epilogues, but in particular: Viconia's epilogue, where
    you find out your epic-level cleric girlfriend, who your character had to scream himself hoarse to convince to stay with him, and almost gets lost forever...gets killed off-screen by some drow with a poisoned dagger. So yeah, it was a pretty bullshit cop-out moment, but still emotionally affecting (I think I was something like 16 when I first got it) - I actually think it was the first time a game made me cry for a reason other than being stupidly fucking hard. I was so distraught that I immediately restarted BG2 and played through that and ToB with a different romance, just to get Viconia's regular epilogue (where nobody knows what happened to her at the point at which the epilogue is taking place).

There were a lot of great, emotional moments aside from actual gameplay in the BG series. It's a great example of how an incredibly generic fantasy setting and story, with pretty stereotypical characters to boot, can still blow your mind when it's well-written and delivered by great VAs. One of my favourite parts is the escape from the dungeon at the start of the game, where Irenicus blows the living shit out of entire squads of duelling assassins and mages (not like that) whilst delivering badass dialogue...then repeats the performance in Spellhold:

An even older but still emotionally wrenching game is Myth: The Fallen Lords, one of Bungie's early titles. Much of the story is delivered through the mission briefings, some of which can be a couple of minutes long, rather than in-game. It's just a series of static drawings, a single track, and an unknown, unnamed narrator. It's practically a glorified powerpoint presentation.

There's no romance or anything like that to the story. It's just the tale of the few survivors of the 'Light' (basically just anyone who isn't a flesh-eating monster, a mindless undead slave or a civilization-hating psychopath. Many of whom have been trying to kill each other for years - We're not talking paladins and unicorns here) trying to survive whilst fighting a hopeless war none of them think they have any chance of winning, against innumerable hordes of enemies who grow exponentially stronger with each battle.

The entire game perfectly captures this backdrop of the 'Light' forces barely achieving hollow victories inevitably followed by desperate flights from their own burning homelands. I can't really fit the whole story in here, but to get an idea of what I'm talking about, here's the third-to-last mission narration -
    I am not a coward. I think that my actions over the last seventeen years prove this. Yet I was relieved to not be among those chosen to die.

In four hours, just after sunrise, the twenty-two hundred survivors of the Legion will attack Balor's fortress. Those men will surely die. There are perhaps half a million of the enemy between here and the stronghold.

Alric left at dusk, alone. The old maps, he says, all show a World Knot in Rhi'anon, though it has never been used in our time. He intends to find it and bring through a hundred picked men to a point he believes will be almost on top of the fortress. From there we go after Balor.

We have watched a dim comet grow brighter each night until now it is visible by day, and at night brighter than the moon. Some of the men have taken it as an omen for ill, but only the next few days will tell.

Before he left, Alric told us that Madrigal had fallen.

Here's the music that's playing over the narration:

There's an even better part when you start playing the penultimate mission, "The Last Battle", which is basically the final major, large-scale battle of the game. You know how normally a game might pump you up for something like this, with badass music and inspiring speeches and all that? Yeah, no. You start on an island amidst a sea of blood, and have to work your way to where your leader and the survivors of his personal guard have raised the banner of a race of unspeakably evil, flesh-devouring monsters that once preyed upon the world, so that you can enrage the most powerful creature in existence and make him want to throw everything he has at you. Once you've weathered the first horde of enemies, the big bad then taunts Alric by simply waving his sword and causing it to rain the severed heads of Alric's main force.

Oh, and when you finally behead the big bad and fight your way through one of his lieutenant's forces to throw it in the crater left by an ancient race committing mass suicide in desperation? It causes a huge explosion that kills every single named veteran you have left from playing the last few levels.

So...yay, I guess. D:

Ed321 on
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Balthier and Fran at the end of Final Fantasy 12. After about 5:00 in this movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tahmRAGC-s

I played FF12 as though Balthier were the main character, anyway (he, Fran, and Ashe were the only characters I used once I had a choice). It was such a perfect final scene for him. I shed a few tears.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    When I pull off a counter in a competitive game I literally hear Irenicus's voice in my head: I cannot be caged. I cannot be controlled.

Brilliant voice actor.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    kedinik wrote: »
    When I pull off a counter in a competitive game I literally hear Irenicus's voice in my head: I cannot be caged. I cannot be controlled.

Brilliant voice actor.

Yeah, I just can't imagine anyone else delivering those lines. Unless they turned it into a musical, and then maybe Jeremy Irons or Jim Cummings. :P

Ed321 on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    For quite some time I thought it was Jeremy Irons.

Bama on