As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Your most emotional game moments - There's no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    First, the Metal Gear series.
    Story-wise, there's MGS3. Pretty much everything that needed to be said about the ending has been (I was sobbing by the credits, etc.) but let's go with something else. I'm sure you all remember the scene where Snake is adjusting after losing an eye, and fails to grab a moth due to his depth perception being shot. It's just a minor part of a cutscene, but later this happens: I do believe I was on my feet, fist in the air, at that point.
    In regards to MGS4, I'd like to link this. And now, sure everyone is talking about how sad the game is, but when these guys popped onscreen, I laughed until I couldn't breathe.
    Gameplay-wise, the first fight with Sniper Wolf in MGS1, when it's just you facing off with her down a long corridor- that had my adrenaline racing more than any other boss fight, full stop.

Okami.
    I think my favorite point in that game occurs not at the end, but prior to the first fight with Orochi.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOstzJl656w
    Taking Kushi on your back, charging forth towards Orochi's lair, coupled with that music? Yeah, that there was a transcendent moment. Everything was just building to a climax, but then the best part was, it didn't end there. If it had, I would've walked away completely satisfied with the game, but the story had even more up its sleeve. That was great.

Suikoden II
    One, I'm (pleasantly) surprised I'm not the first person to bring up this game, though two, I'm also surprised that the part I'm going to talk about was not the part already mentioned. (VERY MUCH SPOILERS AHEAD)
    Nanami's death.
    (This is just to refresh the memories of those who've played this. If you haven't, please, please get your hands on a copy instead, don't spoil it for yourself. It is completely worth the $100+ dollars/waiting for when (if) it gets released on PSN)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI1fStNFXVY
    I'm not sure I can even find the words for this. Nanami collapsing, Riou and Jowy, now on opposing sides, teaming up for perhaps the last time to take down Gorudo, Riou cradling Nanami- I mean, shit. FFVII doesn't come anywhere near this. Even if
    you get the good ending
    , still- This, for me, was the saddest moment in videogames pre-MGS3.

This post is getting really long, so I just wanna quickly say re: Ouendan, Gitaroo Man, Flower, etc. - that stuff just makes you feel so good about yourself when you play them, they're so, so wonderful.

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    RenegadeSilenceRenegadeSilence Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Silent Hill 2 the "In water" ending was the first one I got and man was I depressed after seeing it.

RenegadeSilence on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't usually get too drawn up into stuff in games, but there're two particular moments that really struck me with a certain chord:

A) The final battle of Romancing SaGa 3. Not because there's anything particular about the fight itself - it's really just the standard save-the-world shtick - but the music just has this particularly final tone about it that really gets to me. Other final boss fights might have some epic latin choruses going for them, but RS3 really made it feel like this was really the big and final one, that everything that's happened has led to this point and that everything is in the balance.

B) Apollo Justice. Case 4. The delivery. D:

Sorenson on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Also the whole last section of Mother 3 was quite the experience. After everything you go through during the last two bosses though I thought the game's ending was a little weak.

Yeah, I actually hated the ending to that game. Like, almost-game-ruining hated.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Beyond Good and Evil had a couple of good emotional moments, such as...
    This one
    Though the voices sound better in English.

Flay on
  • Options
    CalaveronCalaveron Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    In Majora's Mask, whenever you played the Song of Healing.
    Can't find (or post) a video, but when you heal Darmani and the little girl's father-turned-Gibdo.

Talking about EBA, Ouendan 2 is great, too. Can't post video, but
    You sacrificing yourself to save the rival dan from the icy meteors after the sun goes out, then the entire world along with the rival dan cheering you out of your icy grave then the two dan leaders dancing in unison, motivating people to REIGNITE the sun. Holy shit

Calaveron on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Disaster: Day of Crisis has a few good moments for this, despite being a Michael Bay film in game form. There's a section after the second volcano erupts where it starts raining ash. You find a log cabin in the darkness, and a little girl inside who's parents almost certainly died. The next few chapters are very emotive, they nailed a very depressing colour scheme with ash covering everything resulting in mostly greys, and some very quiet music.

It only lasts about 10 minutes before it goes crazy again with a huge fuck-off bear attack and then a helicopter shootout on a minecart over lava, but still!

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Grey GOATThe Grey GOAT Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    In regards to MGS4, I'd like to link this. And now, sure everyone is talking about how sad the game is, but when these guys popped onscreen, I laughed until I couldn't breathe.

LOL, so true. The game was so serious most of the way through and then this thing pops up and it instantly goes from "The Green Mile" emotional to "The Naked Gun" stupid.
    I'm sure Dr. Evil must have been the Cheif Engineer of that thing. The only thing that would have made it better is if one of the mouths opened up and launched the Nuke from there:lol:.

The Grey GOAT on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." -HST
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've found myself emotionally confounded by dialogue choices that don't let me say what I feel in RPGs. For instance, in FO3, when
    you go to GNR and Three Dog cheerfully blackmails you into fixing his transmitter. You don't have the option after finishing to call him out on his pompous bullshit. I really wanted to chew him out for witholding the information, then going on the radio later and specifically mentioning that everyone should give me whatever help they can.

Robman on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    I've found myself emotionally confounded by dialogue choices that don't let me say what I feel in RPGs. For instance, in FO3, when
    you go to GNR and Three Dog cheerfully blackmails you into fixing his transmitter. You don't have the option after finishing to call him out on his pompous bullshit. I really wanted to chew him out for witholding the information, then going on the radio later and specifically mentioning that everyone should give me whatever help they can.
    Actually, you kind of do have the option to tell him off. There is a speech skill option that convinces him to just give you the information immediately.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    MifioMifio MrrlendRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Actually, you kind of do have the option to tell him off. There is a speech skill option that convinces him to just give you the information immediately.
    But you need a high one.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, yeah, and you need a high gun skill to kill people. That's why you tag the skill and put points into it.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    bikkibikkibobikkibikkibo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Street fighter 4, losing to flowchart kens online.

RAAAAAAAARRR!!!

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mifio wrote: »
    Cherrn wrote: »
    But you need a high one.
    I didn't need any Speech skill to blow his face off with a shotgun.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    plufim wrote: »
    Disaster: Day of Crisis has a few good moments for this, despite being a Michael Bay film in game form. There's a section after the second volcano erupts where it starts raining ash. You find a log cabin in the darkness, and a little girl inside who's parents almost certainly died. The next few chapters are very emotive, they nailed a very depressing colour scheme with ash covering everything resulting in mostly greys, and some very quiet music.

It only lasts about 10 minutes before it goes crazy again with a huge fuck-off bear attack and then a helicopter shootout on a minecart over lava, but still!

I didn't know I needed this game until right now.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    egofalteregofalter Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The only games that ever truly drew me in and made me feel like I was part of another world were the original King's Quest titles... the first 3 especially. Nothing since then has given me that "magical" feeling. Out of This World gave me a feeling like that too.

King's Quest 3 probably had the most impact. Discovering who you really were, returning home... very impactful. I don't know why games don't give me that feeling anymore. It's either because I've gotten older, just played too many games, or because games have changed so dramatically. It's probably a combination of all of the above.

egofalter on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    egofalter wrote: »
    The only games that ever truly drew me in and made me feel like I was part of another world were the original King's Quest titles... the first 3 especially. Nothing since then has given me that "magical" feeling. Out of This World gave me a feeling like that too.

King's Quest 3 probably had the most impact. Discovering who you really were, returning home... very impactful. I don't know why games don't give me that feeling anymore. It's either because I've gotten older, just played too many games, or because games have changed so dramatically. It's probably a combination of all of the above.

If you just go out and explore ancient dungeons, Oblivion will suck you in like nothing else.

Robman on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Taramoor wrote: »

You must be in the UK, Reggie says we don't want it in North America.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited June 2009

If you just go out and explore ancient dungeons, Oblivion will suck you in like nothing else.

I finished Oblivion... put in hundreds of hours. It gave me that feeling on occassion and certainly sucked me in. But nothing compares to those early game experiences I suppose.

egofalter on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I suppose. I had an amazing time playing Halo coop on Legendary with another huge nerd friend, it was my first real coop experience and we blew through the game in 10 hours straight.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    That reminds me - my first experience with online-multiplayer: Doom (or was it Doom 2?).
    My friend and I managed to connect via modem after hours of configuration. Chasing him around the level and mowing him down with the chain-gun had me laughing nonstop.

The whole idea that we were miles away and playing the same game, seeing each other on the screen, was simply astounding. I knew it would only get better.

egofalter on
  • Options
    bikkibikkibobikkibikkibo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That reminds me - my first experience with online-multiplayer: Doom (or was it Doom 2?).
    My friend and I managed to connect via modem after hours of configuration. Chasing him around the level and mowing him down with the chain-gun had me laughing nonstop.

The whole idea that we were miles away and playing the same game, seeing each other on the screen, was simply astounding. I knew it would only get better.

I first did this with Duke Nukem 3D, and later on mechwarrior. I agree with what you have said. It was so awesome!

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You know what always gets me?

In Knights of the Old Republic 2, talking to Atton about my old lightsaber.

I have no idea why, but during and after that short sequence, I always feel really depressed.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Tales of the Abyss's ending hit me pretty hard. Particularly the part after the credits.
    Tales of the Abyss ending
    Skip to around 1:20.

cheez on
  • Options
    HboxHbox Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    One game I am surprised hasn't gotten any mention thus far: Eternal Darkness.
    So many moments, but this one is most prominent to me at the moment.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dulfJo-NmWU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dulfJo-NmWU&hl=en&fs=1&&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Hbox on
    720551nt8.png
    PSN ID : HBoxx
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Verr wrote: »
    Oh crap. World in Conflict, a very fun game, with (I think) a pretty sweet story for a war game. The story is told En Media Res, and your soldiers who have been fighting in Europe for years are finally coming home for a reprieve, then this cutscene plays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU74uWK_MmI

I'm not sure if it was just me, or maybe the crappy music, but man, the guys were just happy to be getting home, taking pictures of the statue of liberty, then they get shot down by fucking assholes. I seriously teared up. The video still gives me shivers.

Same here, that video is just really powerful. I'm glad to see that it was mentioned. Doesn't help that when I first saw it I was watching my brother* play the game, when he got to that video he broke down crying and basically had to spend the rest of the night drinking.

He was a Blackhawk pilot, got shot down in Iraq.

Arrath on
  • Options
    NostregarNostregar Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Was already mentioned, but one of the strongest emotional moments for me was the good ending of Bioshock.
    Releasing all the Little Sisters to the surface was adorable. But then as it showed them staying with you through the rest of their lives and being with you when you died, that got me.

Also, as dumb as it sounds, beating the final roof scene at the end of No Mercy in L4D for the first time was one of my biggest adreinaline moments. It was like 2AM, I had just spent a while battling through the campaign (right after the game came out, so first playthrough) with my brother and two friends, and then diving frantically onto the helicopter and surviving, I was practically jumping out of my seat with sheer FUCK YEAH.

Nostregar on
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pancake wrote: »
    You know what always gets me?

In Knights of the Old Republic 2, talking to Atton about my old lightsaber.

I have no idea why, but during and after that short sequence, I always feel really depressed.

When Atton does his big reveal, I was like "Holy shit! I thought this guy was a bitch like Carth!" My mouth was actually hanging open. Usually in those games, just read the text and skip on to the next line so I don't have to wait for the VA to finish, but there were quite a few conversations in KOTOR 2 I couldn't bring myself to do that to.

big l on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Emotional may be the wrong word, but beating earthbound after reading this -

WARNING! PROBABLY NSFW! ALSO MAJOR ENDGAME SPOILERS!
    http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Scary+Womanizing+Pig+Mask/the-hidden-themes-of-the-end-of-earthbound-as-recommenced-by-chad-concelmo--79495.phtml#

Read that and you'll never look at that game quite the same way again. The ending definately made me think a lot more then it would have.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Halo 2's ending was pretty emotional for me.

After I'd followed the game for months and already put up with one huge disappointment (not playing as the Master Chief for half the game), they roll out a straight kick-you-in-the-balls ending. Some game have made me feel like putting my foot through the TV because of bullshit bosses and stuff like that, but that was the first game were all the disappointment in the entire game came to a homicidal focus at the very end.

MGS2 hit me with a similar moment when I found out I was playing as Raiden, but I hadn't followed that game nearly as much and MGS2 was closer to what MGS did than what Halo 2 did compared to Halo CE.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Sca...--79495.phtml#

Read that and you'll never look at that game quite the same way again.

Great, I hope you're happy. I have to play earthbound now to even understand what half of that meant.

Also, MGS2: The about 30 minutes of ending was completely confusing for me.

Is there a good timeline somewhere of all the MGS stuff that isn't confusing as hell?

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Calaveron wrote: »
    In Majora's Mask, whenever you played the Song of Healing.
    Can't find (or post) a video, but when you heal Darmani and the little girl's father-turned-Gibdo.

That damn song of healing! Darmani was the warrior goron ghost, right? (I can't remember, it was so long ago). The song playing in that slow piano... it was pretty real.

A lot of the emotional response for me with Majora's Mask was just plain fear! I don't know if that made me a sissy for a 13 year old, but:
    - the mask in the opening, spinning up to the screen with that eerie roaring, rushing sound
    - followed by the mask man admiring the mask in the air, and he does that creepy chuckle. And later when he gets angry at you his face freaked me out.
    - And the farm defense from the aliens. Seriously fuck that noise, I was terrified! The music, the aliens coming from all directions, and it's naught but a boy and his bow to beat them all off. I could not have been more relieved when the sun came up.

marty_0001 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »

http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Sca...--79495.phtml#

Read that and you'll never look at that game quite the same way again.

Great, I hope you're happy. I have to play earthbound now to even understand what half of that meant.

Also, MGS2: The about 30 minutes of ending was completely confusing for me.

Is there a good timeline somewhere of all the MGS stuff that isn't confusing as hell?

I played MGS2 without playing MGS first and lol'd heartily at the plot. The La Li Lu Le Lo? What the fuck?

OCELOT! Sounds pretty badass. Oh hey a fat man who drinks wine with a straw.

The Lady Luck bullshit had me roaring with contemptuous laughter. No lies. Gameplay was fun though.

Robman on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hbox wrote: »
    One game I am surprised hasn't gotten any mention thus far: Eternal Darkness.
    So many moments, but this one is most prominent to me at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dulfJo-NmWU

Fixed that for you.

I thought the fate of the Benedictine Monk was the most emotional, personally.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    TrebzTrebz Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just finished playing Metal Gear Solid for the first time and I was nearly on the verge of tears at some points.
    In the torture scene, I basically approached it as one of those "press A really fast to win or try again" minigames, so I figured I'd casually go through it and if I got the Game Over screen I'd use a faster finger. I hadn't realized that there was no Game Over and it had been a couple hours since I saved. Then the game proceeds to make you feel like a total dick for killing Meryl. Ocelot asks you how you can look at yourself in the mirror, Campbell keeps taking you on a guilt trip for killing his daughter and through the whole thing, Snake keeps calling himself a loser. The cutscene where Meryl is lying injured on the floor of the hallway of the first Sniper Wolf battle and telling Snake to leave her and "just live" nearly made me cry from self-pity.
    I don't really know what made me sad, as I didn't like Meryl THAT much. I think it was just that I wasn't used to the entire game reprimanding me for making a choice I didn't even know I was making in killing off an important character and effectively invalidating every Metal Gear Solid game after. It was probably shock.

Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? Or was I just overthinking it?

Also, I don't know what emotion I was feeling at the very end of the end cutscene. It wasn't a good one.

Trebz on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »

If you have a PS3, you can actually download a program that maps out the events, gives character bios, etc. it's pretty cool, and free.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't know why, but I became very attached to my character in Def Jam: Fight For New York. Tossing Snoop out the window on the first go made me feel great.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Taramoor wrote: »

You must be in the UK, Reggie says we don't want it in North America.

I liked that game in spite the plot holes, but it sold poorly, which is a shame.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    SebbieSebbie Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This has probably been mentioned but the dreams in Lost Odyssey would get me every time. They were very well written and the music that accompanied all of them was just awesome.

Sebbie on
    "It's funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating."
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Trebz wrote: »
    I just finished playing Metal Gear Solid for the first time and I was nearly on the verge of tears at some points.
    In the torture scene, I basically approached it as one of those "press A really fast to win or try again" minigames, so I figured I'd casually go through it and if I got the Game Over screen I'd use a faster finger. I hadn't realized that there was no Game Over and it had been a couple hours since I saved. Then the game proceeds to make you feel like a total dick for killing Meryl. Ocelot asks you how you can look at yourself in the mirror, Campbell keeps taking you on a guilt trip for killing his daughter and through the whole thing, Snake keeps calling himself a loser. The cutscene where Meryl is lying injured on the floor of the hallway of the first Sniper Wolf battle and telling Snake to leave her and "just live" nearly made me cry from self-pity.
    I don't really know what made me sad, as I didn't like Meryl THAT much. I think it was just that I wasn't used to the entire game reprimanding me for making a choice I didn't even know I was making in killing off an important character and effectively invalidating every Metal Gear Solid game after. It was probably shock.

Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? Or was I just overthinking it?

Also, I don't know what emotion I was feeling at the very end of the end cutscene. It wasn't a good one.
    Man, I'm just glad I'm good at button-mashing. It took me forever to get out of prison, but the torture never became difficult for me.

I only got the other ending on a second play through, and yeah, the game goes out of its way to make you feel terrible. But hey, at least you got the stealth camouflage from it? I have a friend who actually prefers the bad ending, for what it's worth.

Also, although I doubt it will make you feel any better, you only invalidated one MGS game.

Rex Dart on