As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Your most emotional game moments - There's no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

• Options
    Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Bama wrote: »
    For quite some time I thought it was Jeremy Irons.

I'm always getting English theatre-trained actors with deep voices mixed up. :?

Ed321 on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Peewi wrote: »
    Godfather wrote: »
    It's been dropped a few times, but Majora's Mask.

Good lord, that game was depressing at times.

But not just the regular kind; oh no. We're talking about the stuff that sneaks up on you sideways.

For example:
    When you go into the Postman's house, you see him on his knees praying that he could leave, but he's bound and determined to stick out his duties as the town's postman, whatever the cost.

Right next door there's a swordsman who offers to teach you advanced sword techniques during the game. If you visit him on the third day in the morning/afternoon he boasts about how he will be the one to cut the moon in two and save the town, but in the evening the man has vanished, leaving only a sign saying that he's gone on an extended vacation. If you chop the door-shaped block of wood behind where he was sitting you'll find a secret back room, where he can be found shivering in the corner, saying that he's afraid to die and doesn't want to.

I've played Majora's Mask through at least four times and I've never seen that.

These little quips are riddled all over the game.

I just found out about that after I explored around the town after the Anju/Kafei sidequest.

Godfather on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Peewi wrote: »
    It's been dropped a few times, but Majora's Mask.

Good lord, that game was depressing at times.

But not just the regular kind; oh no. We're talking about the stuff that sneaks up on you sideways.

For example:
    When you go into the Postman's house, you see him on his knees praying that he could leave, but he's bound and determined to stick out his duties as the town's postman, whatever the cost.

Right next door there's a swordsman who offers to teach you advanced sword techniques during the game. If you visit him on the third day in the morning/afternoon he boasts about how he will be the one to cut the moon in two and save the town, but in the evening the man has vanished, leaving only a sign saying that he's gone on an extended vacation. If you chop the door-shaped block of wood behind where he was sitting you'll find a secret back room, where he can be found shivering in the corner, saying that he's afraid to die and doesn't want to.

I've played Majora's Mask through at least four times and I've never seen that.

These little quips are riddled all over the game.

I just found out about that after I explored around the town after the Anju/Kafei sidequest.

MM has done things I don't recall really ever seeing in other games. What other AAA game out there confronts the idea of death with such honesty? The game is definitely on my short list of video games that should be considered "art."

Guek on
  • Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, whenever I'm replaying the game and waiting for midnight on the first 3-day cycle, I usually go around town and see how everyone's handling the impending situation. Some of them are quietly panicking, hoping that it will be okay. Some of them are solemnly waiting, determined to accept the situation with grace. Some of them are completely oblivious, too innocent to realize what's happening. The game made me really want to stop Majora, not for the adventure, but for all the doomed people below. The game worked to just instantly endear me towards all the normally unnotable npcs.

Mars on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There's like 5 different Chrono Trigger videos I want to put up, but I'll use the one which made me physically put the game down for several days.
    Chrono's death
    I'm welling up now. I was in denial when the 'one of you will perish' comment was made, and it took to me quickly checking a walkthrough to see if he still would be ok.

Phoenix Wright:AA
    Mia's death (2:14-3:22 and 4:26-5:01)After the first case, I was all "Yeah, me and Mia are going to kick ass and take names, then well...

Phoenix Wright:T&T
    Case 5 ending 2:07 til end, special mention for 4:32My favourite scene in a videogame. Ever.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I have no idea how "these must be my tears" didn't come off as ridiculously cheesy to me when I first played the game.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Homeworld, the only game to make me cry.
    You get back to Kharak after testing your jump ability and getting attacked, and find your planet in ruins. All that's left of your race, 600,000 people, in 6 cryo slabs in space, getting shot to shit. Then you get that wonderful 2D comic style and in game cinematic retelling of what happened, all set to Yes's orchestral music. Then the resigned voice of fleet command 'There's nothing left for us here now...'. Yeah, I was crying.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    MrMonroe on
  • Options
    Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »

The second Anderson came through the door I knew what was coming. That was a "fuck yeah" moment for sure.

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The moment in Deus Ex when I goomba'd a guard and shot his friend at the same time. it was glorious.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7jOuDbFE9o

Although it's way to cheesy for me now, (I'm 16 now..) my dad got this game the day it came out. And when I played it and got to this part I teared up a bit.

My only reaction to that scene was "Otacon you are such a goddamn freaking idiot this is so goddamn stupid".

EE.... ? :x

edit: also, for my most emotional moments.

Obligatory Ico mention. I think that it's been covered already though.

First time recovering a land from darkness to blooming flowers everywhere in Okami is really something.

God hand just made me feel emotionally awesome all the time. I nearly teared up when we say goodbye to elvis for good though. :(

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Klonoa.
    After fighting to save the world with your lifetime friend and ultimately just barely managing to save him he reveals that you're actually a dream summoned from another world to save them. All your memories of past and friendship are false, and the very song that will heal this world will also remove you from it, severing the actual friendship that formed during your journey.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIOmdAz-WZg

Unfortunately I can't find a good video that would both have the end of Sorrow's fight and the conclusion in it for Klonoa 2. It's not the same without him.

Glal on
  • Options
    Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7jOuDbFE9o

Although it's way to cheesy for me now, (I'm 16 now..) my dad got this game the day it came out. And when I played it and got to this part I teared up a bit.

My only reaction to that scene was "Otacon you are such a goddamn freaking idiot this is so goddamn stupid".

EE.... ? :x

edit: also, for my most emotional moments.

Obligatory Ico mention. I think that it's been covered already though.

First time recovering a land from darkness to blooming flowers everywhere in Okami is really something.

God hand just made me feel emotionally awesome all the time. I nearly teared up when we say goodbye to elvis for good though. :(

I was 9!

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The two last levels of Flower.

They result in such a tremendous atmosphere, being vastly different to each other, that when you finish the game, you know "This is a good game" and it has the perfect length.... Even though you want more of this emotional magic 8-)

Corporal Carl on
    PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Flower made me feel nothing. Not even enjoyment.

As weird as it sounds, I've been saying this thread on the front page for the last day, and I've tried and tried to rack my brain but I can't think of any single video game moment that has affected me emotionally in any way.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There's like 5 different Chrono Trigger videos I want to put up, but I'll use the one which made me physically put the game down for several days.
    Chrono's death
    I'm welling up now. I was in denial when the 'one of you will perish' comment was made, and it took to me quickly checking a walkthrough to see if he still would be ok.

Mia's death (2:14-3:22 and 4:26-5:01)After the first case, I was all "Yeah, me and Mia are going to kick ass and take names, then well...

Case 5 ending 2:07 til end, special mention for 4:32My favourite scene in a videogame. Ever.
    I'm not sure what scenes you're refering to, since I can't access youtube at work, but I remember at the end of one of the PW games, there's a part where Phoenix and Edgeworth are just going back and forth, just constantly shouting OBJECTION! and whatnot, and it was so awesome.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    Jacob's_LadderJacob's_Ladder Registered User new member
    edited June 2009
    This post nail's several. Grim Fandango was such a enthralling game, that those points take a second to get over. You really fall for the characters, and the story really maters.

As for mass effect
    While the ending was amazing, the moment when you kill Ashley or Kaiden, and you tell them where you're going, and they know that their lives are over. All they say to you is "No regrets Sir." It was hard to take on the semi boss fight after that. Its even worse if you're love interest dies and the romance theme plays.
    Lots of moments in Grim Fandango:
    The End

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fxZcxo-5r8

I can't make it through that without tearing up.

Also, Mass Effect:
    Calling in the Alliance fleet to save the Council's ass, running up the outside of the Citadel, killing Saren, Joker leads the final attack run on the Sovereign, Sheperd climbs out of the rubble and strikes his "oh yeah, I just saved the galaxy fuckers" poser... most epic moment in any video game I've played.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKIbuNajk6U&feature=related

Strikerkc wrote: »
    3) BioShock
    Should be common knowledge, but I'll spoiler any ways
    It's pretty clear, from early on, that Atlas is probably a pretty big dirt bag aswell. But finaly getting to the room with the connected pictures, the radio logs, and "Would you Kindly" scrawled on the wall, there was very little to do other than mutter "Montha-F$!%@" under your breath, and hope you got a chance to off the bastard.

This blew me away as a meta-moment. It was just crushing to
    feel like such a total tool, it kind of made you question why you were doing anything in game, or even why you were playing the game. Great moment, probably the best in the game. The boss was a let down, to say the least.
    Additionally, the previously mentioned HL2 EP2 was a big one for me Gordon is one of the most likable mutes of all time, that makes the speaking characters that much more of a loss.
    Marikir wrote: »
    Yep, I know. I don't know which is supposed to be canon...but honestly, it doesn't change the impact for me. I think it's more his last line than what happens to Mona.

Most people don't know, especially the first time through.

I sat there in silence for a few minutes then went off to hug my wife after that. :(

That scene crushed me. I was still in high school, family was out of town for some reason, it was like 2 am, playing in the dark. I just kind of sat there for a long time after that.

As for my contribution, Silent Hill 3 [spoilers]Heather walking in on her dad, what a note to start on[/url]
    Also, that whole series has given me a Pavlovian reaction to static. Assholes

Jacob's_Ladder on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Shadow of Colossus is one that's filled with emotional moments.

The first colossus you fight, I was filled with awe. Then there's the moment before the final one that really pushes you forward, and of course, the ending.

And of course, Crisis's Core ending. It's a testatment to how good it is that I knew it was coming, and it still choked me up.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

As weird as it sounds, I've been saying this thread on the front page for the last day, and I've tried and tried to rack my brain but I can't think of any single video game moment that has affected me emotionally in any way.

How can Flower possible have had no effect on you?

Check for a pulse. Seriously.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ed321 wrote: »
    Baldur's gate and Myth Sniped

Love your choices. Especially the Two Bungie Myth games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy0yE_Mg_Gk

Here's the soulblighter epilogue.

Those narrations are simply epic.

The music of course is beyond amazing.

Here's the Siege of Madrigal, which a lot of people mistakenly think is from Halo.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    ThisguyThisguy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Wow way to be a normal person congrats I guess?

Thisguy on
    3445ifd.jpg
  • Options
    Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Here's the Siege of Madrigal, which a lot of people mistakenly think is from Halo.

Philistines! :mrgreen:

Have you read the books that Myth's narrative style (and certain story elements) are based on?

Ed321 on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thisguy wrote: »

Wow way to be a fucking soulless monster congrats I guess?

Fixed?

Seriously if none of the ones posted thus far have made you feel anything you might want to check your pulse.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Let me tell you about the time I cried when some pixels stopped being rendered

Thisguy on
    3445ifd.jpg
  • Options
    Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thisguy wrote: »
    Let me tell you about the time I cried when some pixels stopped being rendered

Let me tell you about the time nobody really cared about what you had to say.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Oh do please, I'm all ears

Thisguy on
    3445ifd.jpg
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think any time that the "main" character does something really unexpected or something happens to them that just seems outside the scope of a normal game, that messes with you a little bit.

I think another big moment that hasn't been mentioned is Kalas from Baten Kaitos. Seriously... WHAT THE FUCK!

Taramoor on
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pack it in, as per rule 4 (which used to be the second rule three until a moment or two ago. o_O). If Thisguy felt no emotional response from any game s/he has played throughout his/her entire life, then that's his/her thing. But cut that shit out.

For a complete kick in the balls, how about the bad ending from Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus? It's the way he looks when being zapped. And that scream is shudderworthy. That, my fellow posters, is karma for murdering as many Mudokons as you can.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfYHgQ225Y8

Dunxco on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Philistines! :mrgreen:

Have you read the books that Myth's narrative style (and certain story elements) are based on?

I haven't but I've been doing a lot of writing myself, and a lot of what I'm writing is inspired by those old games. They had such an impression on me when I played them as a kid.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Baldurs Gate 2:

Yoshimo :cry:

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fuck Yoshimo
    actually he was a very sad character too

Imoen, now there's the girl you should feel sorry for. Her voice actor fucking nailed it.
    Goddman BG2 why are you so awesome

Robman on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I recently found my BG 2 disks, but they're for Mac....booooo

Dissociater on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh shit, almost forgot. NOLF:2. For piss-your-pants what the fuck hilarity. I've got to do a Let's Play of that game.
    Seriously what the fuck, this creepy Mime dude that floats around the entire game is a fucking midget on a unicycle? And then you chase him around hanging onto the back of a big hairy scot on a fuckin trycicle, blazing away with a tommy gun? Best. Game. Ever.

Robman on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    MegaMek wrote: »
    Chrono's death

I'm not sure what scenes you're refering to, since I can't access youtube at work, but I remember at the end of one of the PW games, there's a part where Phoenix and Edgeworth are just going back and forth, just constantly shouting OBJECTION! and whatnot, and it was so awesome.

I love those parts, they appear a few times in the series. But if you're still at work:

PW 1 & 3 spoilers
    PW 1 video is about Mia's death, which was a real sucker punch for me. PW 3 is near the end of case 5 when Phoenix presents the last bit of evidence (Godot's profile) and Mia appears to join him in spirit. As I said, my favourite video game moment.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Taramoor wrote: »
    I think any time that the "main" character does something really unexpected or something happens to them that just seems outside the scope of a normal game, that messes with you a little bit.

I think another big moment that hasn't been mentioned is Kalas from Baten Kaitos. Seriously... WHAT THE FUCK!

That moment would have had a lot more impact if they didn't come back 30 minutes later, "oh we were just kidding hahaha"

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The only game I can recall that got an emotional response out of me other than terror or shock was FF: Tactics. Delita's final words are so great.
    "Did you get your end in all of this, Ramza? I... I got this."
    I love those parts, they appear a few times in the series. But if you're still at work:

PW 1 & 3 spoilers
    PW 1 video is about Mia's death, which was a real sucker punch for me. PW 3 is near the end of case 5 when Phoenix presents the last bit of evidence (Godot's profile) and Mia appears to join him in spirit. As I said, my favourite video game moment.
    Yeah, I'm home now and I watched them. It seems like the end of every PW game has an epic confrontation :D

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    MegaMek wrote: »

PW 1 & 3 spoilers
    Yeah, I'm home now and I watched them. It seems like the end of every PW game has an epic confrontation :D

What really gets me is that after that crowning moment of awesome, we get the amazing credits song...
    ... which really tugs at your heartstrings, especially the epilogue for all the characters (I would find that version but it's midnight here.)

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I haven't seen it mentioned yet, so ICO:
    when you fight your way back to the area where you first started, having fallen out of that stone casket ball. And then you see all the shadows emerging from them as well. And you realize that the things you've been fighting the whole time were just the ghosts of other horned boys, just like you, who weren't so lucky as to have their cages fall over. You self centered prick.

I thought it was one of the greatest moments of story telling I'd ever seen, and a perfect example of showing the player the story as opposed to telling it to them. When that clicked in my head my jaw literally dropped.

Namrok on
  • Options
    CrazybearCrazybear Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't know if I should spoiler this since the game is kinda old and there really no twists in the ending but I will just to be safe. The last mission in Call of Duty 3 (yes not 4 but 3, I loved 3, call me crazy):
    It has been a while but from what I remember you have to defend a hill until reinforcments arrive. And it is a crazy battle, shit blowing up everywhere, bullets flying around, your friends getting hit. So I am running around like crazy trying to defend this hill, I am hurt but still alive and I think we have a shot at holding the line. Then they start rolling up the hill with tanks! Shit! This is it, I'm gonna die. Then...out comes the reinforcments! Fighters fly by and drop bombs that blow up the tanks and we are saved!

I was cheering in my room along with the characters in the game. I will remember that one for a while.

Crazybear on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    NoelVeigaNoelVeiga Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The Team Ico games both did it for me. Those guys are masters of emotional blackmail. I mean, people have only seen one trailer of The Last Guardian and everybody is already afraid that something terrible is going to happen to the adorable baby griffon.

But I also have a relative unknown to add to the list: Legacy of Kain: Defiance. After five games of Lost-like convoluted plot development I had a Lost-like fear that they wouldn't be able to resolve it. And then they went intimate epic on the final sequence and actually delivered one of the best final acts in a videogame ever.

While I'm at it, why is Hideo Kojima more famous than Amy Henning? With all due respect, she can write a game story so much better than him. If you don't know who she is, look her up and find out you already agreed with me before you read this.

NoelVeiga on