As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dead Space Wii announced

• Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    balance board, duh

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    No no, you have to wear the balance board like a hat, so that the game knows which way your head is tilted.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    No no, you have to wear the balance board like a hat, so that the game knows which way your head is tilted.

So the game could tell when you're copping an attitude?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    agoaj wrote: »

No, that's what Wii Speak is for.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    While we're making up the game as we go along, I think there's a good chance that the final boss requires you to out rap Mothra.
    I think you missed the part where I said I have no idea if Dead Space does any of that, and I don't even necessarily expect it.

I just said that it was possible, and such a system would justify their language, the refusal to just call it a "light gun" game. If it's just RE:UC in the end, then I agree that the release language is BS.

They didn't say anything that would justify/imply what you said.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Legacy wrote: »
    agoaj wrote: »

No, that's what Wii Speak is for.

Hopefully the Let's Tap box will be incorporated for tapping on lockers to see if aliens are in them.

I think, if this game was going to be any sort of evolution of the style, the EA press blurb would hype it to no end. I'm just going to keep my expectations at standard light gun levels for now.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I never played dead space, but the screens I saw really reminded me of a FPS from back in the day corridor 7. I want this rail shooter to be corridor 7^2.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Er, so no MotionPlus support anymore? D'oh!

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Er, so no MotionPlus support anymore? D'oh!

Since when? Link?

EDIT: I see, on IGN. While they could've supposedly done more cool stuff with MotionPlus (I guess?) I do think a shooter doesn't necessarily need it. I mean I was all for it at the announcement but knowing this doesn't really detract either.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What a heap of steaming bollocks. It's a light gun game, I wish they'd stop trying to talk it up like it's something more, they sound so desperate with their jargon and their talk of this amazing world, where in a light gun game I can join in an ongoing game, as if this is some amazing new light gun game feature to be lauded like the portal gun.

It doesn't sound that bad actually. I liked RE: UC (probably the only person who does mind) and if they deliver something like that it could be worth playing.

There just isn't a lot on the Wii and I'll take what I can get frankly.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't see why a game like this would need MotionPlus. Having played REUC, GS, HOTD23, LCBT, and HOTD_OK, never once did I think to myself, "Gee, this game could almost certainly benefit from MotionPlus support!"

The EA rep said that Dead Space Wii is going to be an IR pointer-focused game and that there's hardly any need for motion controls at all, let alone enhanced motion control detection.

slash000 on
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I thought it sounded funny that they were going to support Motion+. It would have to be something really, really different if they felt they needed the device.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Voth wrote: »
    I thought it sounded funny that they were going to support Motion+. It would have to be something really, really different if they felt they needed the device.

Yeah, no kidding.

Anyway, I'm glad they're not doing anything with the M+. No need to split the install base when it really isn't necessary for this type of game.

slash000 on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Motion+ Dead Space could be really freaking awesome if they added some melee weapons.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »
    What a heap of steaming bollocks. It's a light gun game, I wish they'd stop trying to talk it up like it's something more, they sound so desperate with their jargon and their talk of this amazing world, where in a light gun game I can join in an ongoing game, as if this is some amazing new light gun game feature to be lauded like the portal gun.

It doesn't sound that bad actually. I liked RE: UC (probably the only person who does mind) and if they deliver something like that it could be worth playing.

There just isn't a lot on the Wii and I'll take what I can get frankly.

If you think you are the only person who liked UC, you are wrong. There are TONS of people who loved that game. In fact, that is one of my 10 favorite games on the wii.

jeddy lee on
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    New interview on IGN:
    IGN wrote:

IGN: When you unveiled Dead Space Extraction, you revealed it is an on-rails shooter – a truth that disappointed some fans. What would you say to skeptics fearful that the end experience will be less interactive than Dead Space was on 360?

Steve: When we announced the game I was amazed at the passion Dead Space fans had for the franchise. I would tell the Skeptics that our team is passionate about innovation. Extraction is going to include all of the mechanics that made Dead Space a memorable experience: Stasis, Telekinesis, Strategic Dismemberment, and Zero-G . Our game is going to also deliver on some all new features like Co-op that really involves both players for example cooperative puzzles, brand new weapons, new characters, new enemies, new bosses, new story, and new locations. Our goal is to create an all new experience on the Nintendo Wii that feels custom built for that platform, and I think we are on track to do that.

IGN: Tell us some more about the main character. Who is she? What is her motivation? And does her storyline relate at all to the tale in the 360 title?

Steve: I'd like to keep Lexine a bit of a mystery for a while longer. I will say that she plays an important role in the game, she is in her early 20's, and you are introduced to her pretty quickly in the game. We want to make sure players enjoy her as a character.

IGN: How do the stasis and dismemberment systems work in the game? Please explain the controls.

Steve: To use Stasis the player will point their Wii Remote at an approaching enemy or object then hit the Stasis button to fire the Stasis projectile at the threat. Dismemberment works as you would expect, aim your Wii Remote at an enemies limb and fire, pop goes the Necromorph.

IGN: What new weapons are in the game? Can you give us a few examples of how they work?

Steve: One of the new weapons is the Arc Welder and how it works is it fires out a bolt of energy that arc's between enemies causing more damage depending on how many enemies it comes into contact with. I want to keep the other new weapons a surprise for now.

IGN: Just how bloody does the experience get? Can you give us a couple examples.

Steve: Well Extraction is a Dead Space game, so players can expect just as much gore and blood as they saw in the original game. As far as examples you will have to come play the game with me soon to find out.

And new screens:
    dead-space-extraction--20090316044514238.jpg
    dead-space-extraction--20090316044555894.jpg

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    dead-space-extraction--20090316044555894.jpg

Plasma Cutter! The horizontal/vertical arrangement of the dots in the cursor is a dead giveaway; I wonder if it'll be a button toggle to switch between them, or if you can rotate the Wiimote to get an angled effect.

I literally just finished Dead Space this weekend and I'm totally jonesing for more in the Dead Space world, so this can't come soon enough.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Also, this looks rather better in static shots than most Wii games manage.
    Good sign.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    This sounds great. I love the idea of combining the aspects of the original Dead Space into rail/lightgun gameplay. Looks great too. Bravo, EA.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    This sounds great. I love the idea of combining the aspects of the original Dead Space into rail/lightgun gameplay. Looks great too. Bravo, EA.

Totally. The whole dismemberment thing isn't just a gimmick—it's how you slow down all the enemies and conserve ammo. Every necromorph has limbs or strange alien appendages that can be severed, and they act as critical hits of a sort, while also stunning them. The plasma cutter, which is kind of your basic pistol, fires either a short horizontal or vertical line of bullets, so you often flip between orientations to give yourself a better chance at knocking off a limb or tentacle.

It's definitely a good fit for free aiming with a Wiimote.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I wonder if the dithering in that first screenshot is just from the compression or from the engine. Boo-urns if it's from the engine.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    pop goes the Necromorph.

:^::^:

I'm excited for this game, Dead Space was my GOTY last year.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It looks like they're going to stick to the minimal HUD of DS which is a really good thing. Hopefully those bars around the crosshairs are the only HUD we'll require.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    I wonder if the dithering in that first screenshot is just from the compression or from the engine. Boo-urns if it's from the engine.

psst

every engine dithers

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »

psst

every engine dithers

Yeah, but not every engine does it that badly.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    well it's tweakable, and will be more than likely unnoticable when the game is moving

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Most Wii games—most Nintendo games in general—look like abominations in still screenshots and manage to look a lot better in motion. I learned this in the GC era and little has done to change my opinion; that said, the fact that these screens actually look good bode well for how the game could look!

Lunker on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    Most Wii games—most Nintendo games in general—look like abominations in still screenshots and manage to look a lot better in motion. I learned this in the GC era and little has done to change my opinion; that said, the fact that these screens actually look good bode well for how the game could look!

Pretty much what I was getting at.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm pretty surprised at how good the environments seem to look, though. The necromorphs in the foreground and the blood decals look pretty much like what you'd expect, but the backgrounds look pretty decent.

I'm still pretty iffy on the game. It would be hard to build the same sort of atmosphere and tension in a rail shooter. As much as I want more Dead Space and more Dead Space story, part of me wishes they had waited until the core of the franchise was already old and stale. In some way, this feels like it cheapens the accomplishments of Dead Space.

But I know that since I'll have access to a Wii when it comes out, I'll buy it anyway. I even bought the shitty animated laser chainsaw movie after having already seen it just because it was Dead Space.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, all told I'm pretty excited about this now. I get the feeling that they'll have a better handle on atmosphere than Capcom did with RE:UC.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, all told I'm pretty excited about this now. I get the feeling that they'll have a better handle on atmosphere than Capcom did with RE:UC.

I though the atmosphere was one of the things REUC got right.

jeddy lee on
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    jack eddy wrote: »

I though the atmosphere was one of the things REUC got right.

A lot of the audio work was lacking, IMO. Makes a huge difference to me, and I thought that one of the things that Dead Space nailed was audio.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ba-bump-ba-bump! IGN has an 18-minute vid of a walkthrough of one level. I think this looks really killer. I loved the original Dead Space and like rail shooters, so this is right up my alley.

You do have the ability to freely look around, though I don't know if that's all the time or only in certain sections. You can also choose from scripted paths by using that whole guided-line-of-light map system that the original DS used. Alt-fire is toggled by twisting the Wiimote for all weapons, you can carry up to four weapons at a time, there's a full upgrade system included, new bosses, gear, enemies, etc.

Lunker on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That looks really fun.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It never ceases to amaze me how completely incompetent IGN reviewers are at playing games.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Voth wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me how completely incompetent IGN reviewers are at playing games.

No kidding. You'd think reviewing so many games they'd be at least half decent. But no, they're always terrible.

aaaaaaaaanyway, DS Extraction looks really good. I look forward to it.

slash000 on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I like how it seems to take a slower pace than a lot of the old shooter games, and yeah jesus Ign can you get someone who can actually play games to be in your previews?

Didn't look too bad graphically either.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    I like how it seems to take a slower pace than a lot of the old shooter games, and yeah jesus Ign can you get someone who can actually play games to be in your previews?

Didn't look too bad graphically either.

The first few instants of looking at it I was quite surprised it was a Wii game. Animation was good looking as well.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Looks really good. Nice shooter action, reticule looked like it moved pretty smoothly. Plus decent graphics and VA on top. Also I was able to recognise those areas of the ship, looks like a perfect replica of the layout, though I've no doubt we'll see plenty of new areas.

The only thing I didn't really like were the gun shots, didn't look at all like firing the plasma cutter does in the original.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Also, the game is confirmed for Sept. 29 release in NA and Oct. 2 in EU.

Lunker on