Options

Halo Reach: LESS THAN A WEEK AAAAH

• Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The actual quote was "...pretty much every civilian vehicle..." just for clarity's sake.

I mean if you see a huge boat or something they're not gonna be like "OK, go for it."

Unless it had guns.

Xagar on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, the old Halo demo did have a drivable boat.

Bungie has this thing for revisiting old ideas. They've pretty much implemented everything from the original demos at this point, except for drivable watercraft.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Xagar wrote: »
    The actual quote was "...pretty much every civilian vehicle..." just for clarity's sake.

I mean if you see a huge boat or something they're not gonna be like "OK, go for it."

Unless it had guns.
    I guess they have to set some limits, otherwise the key to humanity's greatest secret wouldn't be Reach, it'd be San Andreas.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So the needle rifle is analogous to the covenant carbine?

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So the needle rifle is analogous to the covenant carbine?

Yes. And if you go for body shots instead of head shots they explode!

Arrath on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Not kidding with the spoiler tags here, folks.
    No seriously, stop now if you do not wanna know anything.
    Holy crap, Six talks. Also I really hope that the broken helmet at the beginning isn't spoiling the ending, but then again it wouldn't surprise me if Noble Team's completely wiped out in the end.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Not kidding with the spoiler tags here, folks.
    No seriously, stop now if you do not wanna know anything.
    Holy crap, Six talks. Also I really hope that the broken helmet at the beginning isn't spoiling the ending, but then again it wouldn't surprise me if Noble Team's completely wiped out in the end.
    I'm glad Six talks. Totally silent protagonists suck. The broken helmet at the start could be the old Six's. I think its more of a foreboding thing though.

Arrath on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Finally a sure confirmation that you can pick the spawning vehicle. I want warthog team race with infinite stickies on Gephyrophobia/BG/Sidewinder back!

this
    this should happen

i'm so close to watching the cinematic it's not even funny

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I hope elephants are still around.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So, Gamestop's starting up the hype machine by showing their commercial with the exclusive beer can belt.
    I don't recognize the level that it takes place on thought.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    anyone that continues to call it a beer can belt is banned from everything

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Finally a sure confirmation that you can pick the spawning vehicle. I want warthog team race with infinite stickies on Gephyrophobia/BG/Sidewinder back!

this
    this should happen

i'm so close to watching the cinematic it's not even funny

Not really spoilerly, but I'll do it anyway:
    It obviously reveals some stuff about the first mission, but the cinematic itself is one that was shown a while ago,
    Flying into the camp, Six meeting his new team, they get a briefing, off they go.

Arrath on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, it's not like the grenades are actually usable or anything.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm not watching the cinematic here, if anything I'll watch it at PAX or wait for a month...

Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It really doesn't spoil much outside of a hint at what the first level will contain.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    suuuuure beeb, trying to trick me eh
    start watching it to find out the twist ending is spoiled and that we were the covenant all along

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    But then we'd get to run around going wort wort wort all day long.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wort Wort Wort is just Johnson saying Go Go Go backwards.

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    HALO 3 RELATED

http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1004301

WHAT IN THE FLYING FUCK I WISH I HAD A WORKING CAMPAIGN DISC

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    hey that's pretty neat
    makes me wish i still had the disc as well

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, it's both short and pretty harmless. About the only real "spoiler" it includes would be
    that yes, you are going to fight rebels first and you are Noble 6.
    Not exactly earth-shattering. Nothing much to really get excited over either, so you could easily skip it without missing out on a peak of anything exciting.

Anyway, that Firefight vid:
    holy crap, they really have stepped it up with the Jackals. Crazy fast movement, plus those awesome ones with mini-shields that sprint like crazy while firing. Also neat to see the return of the old-fashioned dropships.

I can't help but thinking that the bubble shield is much better than the armor lock the way it is right now. Seems to recharge just as fast, lasts a lot longer, and provides a LOT more cover. Seems like the only major advantage armor lock has is not requiring a full drain for a single use.

EDIT: Haha, I thought everybody knew about the 1v1 Chieftan fight by now. Cheating invincible bastard.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wow, I've played through Halo 3 ridiculous amount of times and and never noticed the chieftain thing D:

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Arrath wrote: »
    Aaaaand here's an off screen video of the opening cinematic demo'd at gamescom. At about 30:45:
    http://www.xbox.com/en-gb/gamescom2010/default.htm

Fffffffuuuuuuucking christ I can't wait for this game!

Campaign intro stuffs:
    I was right! The first mission does (possibly, maybe) involve insurrectionists. Though, you'd think they'd have been stomped out with prejudice on a militarily important planet like Reach. And that this fancy important relay thing would have a full garrison of combat troops..
    It's implied (by Brian) that the Covenant took out the relay. "Of course, we know better." is basically what he said - how else would they sneak under the radar so easily?

To everyone else: the opening cutscene is almost identical to the original VGA trailer, only with new dialogue and a bit of the first level afterwards.

I caved, and probably will continue to do so. I'm going crazy waiting.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't know why people thought Six was a mute after they announced your character would have male and female options for dialog in the campaign.

Before that info became public, yeah with Bungie's history it'd make sense. But when they came out with that feature that was the main thing I got excited over.

Gatsby on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    *pulls chute*

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Really guys, when Brutes yell at you you gotta listen! :p

"COME FIGHT ME!"
    "k"
    *fire grenades*

Xagar on
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man, I haven't played Halo in, what feels like, over a year and Reach is coming in about a month. Time to bring out the ODST H3 disc! Besides, I still haven't played the latest DLC and would like to get some achievements for Halo Waypoint. :D

edit: also, do any of you still play firefight? i haven't played that at all

Ranced on
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Also someone mentioned earlier that Bungie said they have a Modern Warfare-esque plot/gameplay device in this. Could it be
    like in the first MW you have a flashback mission as Thom in the previously failed mission where he was killed?

Gatsby on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    HALO 3 RELATED

I don't get where that is? Is it hidden? Either way it's awesome and I wish I still had the campaign disc now too.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    anoffday wrote: »
    HALO 3 RELATED

I don't get where that is? Is it hidden? Either way it's awesome and I wish I still had the campaign disc now too.

It's at the end of the level "The Ark". Instead of attacking the brutes like most people (and me) do, let the Chieftain go to the central 'ring' at the end of the level and then you can 1v1 him as long as you don't attack the other brutes.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I thought this was more widely known?

Mechanical on
  • Options
    DogEightDogEight Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I always try and kill him with something embarrassing like a plasma pistol, but my personal favorite is to carry the flamethrower in the level all the way to him.

You glassed the field of honor, ape-man. This is war.

DogEight on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I knew about that for a while. Kind of assumed everyone else did.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, the old Halo demo did have a drivable boat.

Bungie has this thing for revisiting old ideas. They've pretty much implemented everything from the original demos at this point, except for drivable watercraft.

They're even putting wildlife back in, which was a big deal around the time of the original E3 announcement of Halo.

All we're missing now is "Sandbox Halo" where it's an open ended guerrilla war type scenario. ;)

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Huh, that Brute thing is pretty cool. I guess most people would miss it, given the natural instinct to shoot the bad guys if you've taken them by surprise.

Also holy crap, it's Default.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Anyway, that Firefight vid:
    holy crap, they really have stepped it up with the Jackals. Crazy fast movement, plus those awesome ones with mini-shields that sprint like crazy while firing. Also neat to see the return of the old-fashioned dropships.

I can't help but thinking that the bubble shield is much better than the armor lock the way it is right now. Seems to recharge just as fast, lasts a lot longer, and provides a LOT more cover. Seems like the only major advantage armor lock has is not requiring a full drain for a single use.

EDIT: Haha, I thought everybody knew about the 1v1 Chieftan fight by now. Cheating invincible bastard.
    The thing about drop shield is that it isn't invincible, its more like the deployable cover in that it'll go down after taking so much damage. We haven't seen it under sustained fire yet so we don't know how much it can take, one rocket? Two Fuel Rods?

Arrath on
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Blue dotting this thread. Can't wait for Forgeworld. I made some fairly insane shit with Forge in Halo 3, but the physics limitations nearly gave me an aneurysm

Warcry on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Huh, that Brute thing is pretty cool. I guess most people would miss it, given the natural instinct to shoot the bad guys if you've taken them by surprise.

Also holy crap, it's Default.

Yeah I had no idea about it! First instinct is "Oh shit, good thing I have this camo...*smack smack smack*"

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Also I'm not sure if it was clear before, but Urk just confirmed that someone dropping out will not end a Campaign or Firefight session. Still no drop-in though, to be clear.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Also I'm not sure if it was clear before, but Urk just confirmed that someone dropping out will not end a Campaign or Firefight session. Still no drop-in though, to be clear.

I will take that sir. Wonder if the difficulty wills scale back down when someone leaves or you can try soloing a 4-man difficulty.

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!
This discussion has been closed.