Options

[chat] ass

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Keep in mind robocop is also something of a deconstruction of the action genre.

It's ridiculous kinda on purpose.

is it? i honestly have no idea. i don't even remember how old i was when i watched it.

i mean, if the whole point is that robocop makes explicit the silly invincibility of the hero and sort of drains the heroism and excitement out of stupid action scenes, then that's excellent

Kinda. It's more that he's not a hero he's a monster created for profit by a cynical evil corporation. He's a guy turned into Frankenstein but then treated like a hero Cuz he shoots people

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    like the "satirical" way to watch starship troopers is to laugh at a bunch of blonde, vapid ken dolls being mutilated because they think war is fun, which, okay, I get it, but it feels really mean and kind of hateful to me. I find it hamfisted even as I appreciate its message.

robocop is brutal in parts but like...yeah, he murders his way through some drug dealers. on the other hand, the movie has put us in a place where we can understand why that would happen.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I totally thought people liked Robocop in the same way they liked ninja turtles.

HOW LITTLE I KNEW.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Anybody wanna do Ascalonian Catacombs in GW2

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Hello and good evening!

Was at hulen (the literal cave) and now im entering kaos

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    I totally thought people liked Robocop in the same way they liked ninja turtles.

HOW LITTLE I KNEW.

today you have grown as a person or some shit

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    I thought you were supposed to watch Starship Troopers like it was a propaganda film, which means feeling bad about the pretty people getting killed but also realizing that their deaths are being used to manipulate you into a fascistic way of thinking.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    like the "satirical" way to watch starship troopers is to laugh at a bunch of blonde, vapid ken dolls being mutilated because they think war is fun, which, okay, I get it, but it feels really mean and kind of hateful to me. I find it hamfisted even as I appreciate its message.

robocop is brutal in parts but like...yeah, he murders his way through some drug dealers. on the other hand, the movie has put us in a place where we can understand why that would happen.

Verhoeven always seems to try to do a lot of layers in his films. And some times you get a brilliant parfait like Robocop. And sometimes you get a horrible film like Showgirls. And some of that is scripts, and studio pressure but he's always generally trying to bring some depth to his films.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »

i can dungeon is that 30?

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2012

HOW LITTLE I KNEW.

dude you seriously need to watch it with adult eyes. it is well-regarded among film circles for a reason.

the screenplay is fantastically carefully-crafted; it's the sort of thing I would use to teach a course in screenwriting. every scene both propels the plot forward, establishes something about a character, and establishes a detail about the world. it tells a big-feeling action story with twists and reversals and a solid character arc that still clocks in under 95 minutes. the direction is crisp and efficient, but what's not so apparent on first viewing is how skillfully it juggles tones; there are moments that mix horror and laughter or that give visceral and effective action-movie beats while at the same time questioning some of the action movie premises. peter weller gives a terrific and moving performance from under eighty pounds of plastic and wires.

and it is legitimately funny and exciting.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »

i can dungeon is that 30?

Yes that's the level 30 dungeon.

• Options
    clearly i'm going to have to have a movie night

with my HUGE NEW COUCH

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Adventure Time just keeps getting better.

Season 4 has been the best season yet.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    i never really understood robocop's appeal

like the video of that drug bust shootout, there's this heroic music playing, but he's not doing anything impressive or noteworthy

he's immune to bullets and he's shooting people who can't hurt him

i mean obviously they should run, or shoot at his face, but action movies have always been dumb about that. no, the problem is that he's a fucking murder robot being glorified even though he could easily walk up to people and incapacitate them peacefully, but instead he's slaughtering these various ethnic criminals. robocop is basically a fucked up horror movie.

and it's not really very exciting or cool that he just slowly walks around and awkwardly aims his gun while being invincible

There is very much a body horror element to Robocop. The idea of waking up in a body that isn't yours and isn't fully under your control. Not to mention the graphic nature of his death and the torture elements to it.

You have the Jesus allegory on top of it.

And then there is the discussion of self and what is it that defines the self? How much of it is preserved in a situation like that? How much of Murphy is Murphy?

And last but not least, if you aren't talking about big game or video games then suggesting head shots is sheer foolishness. The head is a smaller target that tends to move a lot. Aiming for it in a stressful situation is a bad idea.

how is it a bad idea when it's literally the only part of him that is vulnerable? it's the only target. your choices are try for the tough shot or run away.

but that's not a symptom of robocop so much as any action movie ever. stupid/inaccurate minions get a big discount when you buy in bulk at Villain Warehouse.

No, it's that going for head shots is retarded shit that gamers learn. It's a bad idea because even hitting the bulletproof parts of him might get lucky. Aiming for the head is a very good way to just miss completely. The idea that someone will pull off an aimed head shot in a stressful shooting situation is the kind of retarded shit that you get from gamers who think it's as easy to do in the real world as it is in a video game.
    this is very excellent advice for shooting a non-robot non-metal man

• Options
    like, there are movies that are not typically regarded as super high art but that I think are nonetheless flawlessly put together for what they are. Back to the Future is one, or Galaxy Quest. RoboCop is in that vein. I can understand someone just not liking sci-fi action or being turned off by the violence or whatever but it a very thoughtfully made movie.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    clearly i'm going to have to have a movie night

with my HUGE NEW COUCH
    your couch told me to tell you it was totally busy that night but that it'd let you know when it can hang out with you

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I regret leaving Hulen because i def had a shot with a girl there.

Now on the light rail home.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    like, there are movies that are not typically regarded as super high art but that I think are nonetheless flawlessly put together for what they are. Back to the Future is one, or Galaxy Quest. RoboCop is in that vein. I can understand someone just not liking sci-fi action or being turned off by the violence or whatever but it a very thoughtfully made movie.

hahaha galaxy quest with tim allen? i actually really liked that movie.

• Options

david mamet lists it as one of his five perfect movies

no joke

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Just finished Jiro Dreams of Sushi. It's fascinating to watch a craftsman at work. The emphasis on perfection, the focus on even the most simple of tasks.

• Options

Verhoeven always seems to try to do a lot of layers in his films. And some times you get a brilliant parfait like Robocop. And sometimes you get a horrible film like Showgirls. And some of that is scripts, and studio pressure but he's always generally trying to bring some depth to his films.

right, yeah. I respect Verhoeven a lot as a director. people bring up Showgirls whenever he's mentioned but that's his one really terrible movie compared to how many by Francis Ford Coppola.

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Just finished Jiro Dreams of Sushi. It's fascinating to watch a craftsman at work. The emphasis on perfection, the focus on even the most simple of tasks.

That's like this one, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAJeUONc3b0

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I regret leaving Hulen because i def had a shot with a girl there.

Now on the light rail home.

i used to be sweet on a girl from hulen

• Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    Organichu, I have been staring at your new avatar for a while now, trying to decide what I think it is. I think my conclusion says a lot about me.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular

david mamet lists it as one of his five perfect movies

no joke

David Mamet is sometimes a dummy....

But he's very wise here.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I can get you into a restaurant where you watch a child play with a bunny, then you eat the bunny.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Organichu, I have been staring at your new avatar for a while now, trying to decide what I think it is. I think my conclusion says a lot about me.

does it look like a golden twizzler being removed from between diseased labia

• Options
    2012-09-14-Blinging-Up-The-Past.jpg

• Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »

does it look like a golden twizzler being removed from between diseased labia

Nailed the diseased labia part right on the head.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular

I'm not saying that the satire of Starship Troopers is super deep, but I think it's a little deeper than this. It's a pretty fun comic book critique of military fascism.

• Options

right, yeah. I respect Verhoeven a lot as a director. people bring up Showgirls whenever he's mentioned but that's his one really terrible movie compared to how many by Francis Ford Coppola.

I find Verhoeven uneven. He's a guy who can produce great work but he can produce a turd. With Coppola, I can give him an excuse of artistic sacrifice. Man poured his soul into Apocylpse Now and really had nothing left. But he had to get paid. With Verhoeven, he sometimes tries to force it. The Showgirls script is terrible. Many of the actors in casting can do solid work, maybe shine with certain directors like Kyle MacLachlan, but it's not a great cast. But he tried very hard with it.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    poshniallo wrote: »

i love this video, even though I've no idea what the sushi etiquette is... But i find it hilarious nonetheless.

Maa maa maa maa

21stCentury on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    in fact i have skyrim, bastion, and a few other of my favorite PC games installed in my windows partition, and i have a bunch of indie games on my os x partition.

but right now i'm sitting in front of my macbook air and playing fifa 12 on my phone between posts.

Tabletop gaming > video gaming

Let's get three more players and do Black Seven online.

yesssss desc did you hear about Black Seven from me or find out about it independently

I've been super-curious about it for a while now.

Also, any article that contains the phrase "I was re-playing Deus Ex for the seventh time, when all of a sudden" immediately commands my attention.

@jacobkosh saw a thread on story-games

You want in?

what do you have in mind? give me the deets

@jacobkosh I am not sure on the actual job yet. Five minutes in the future. No cyborgs or psionics or metal gear solid, I don't think. Sleek infiltrations and German sports sedans.

I will Come up with something general tonight.

>.>

<.<

@thomamelas

Lol

I was reading the rules last night and you were the first chatter I thought of.

I was just going to cc: you in on an inquiry pm later

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Also Thom I wanted to play my guy and do heists in leverage. I was all fired up.

:l

• Options
    I have not seen the rules, desc

what do you think of them? I assume you dig them since you are doing this but what is their deal exactly?

• Options
    poshniallo wrote: »

No, more like watching a master chief with three Michelin stars work. When you watch someone like Alain Ducasse cook, the focus on the small details is an impressive thing to watch in and of itself.

• Options
    Also Thom I wanted to play my guy and do heists in leverage. I was all fired up.

:l

I got frustrated with hunting down character sheets.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    whoa, a bunch of the avenger movies are free on amazon prime.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

It's such a great scene. The little flourishes when he's switching targets, just subtly showing how much he's enjoying it.

nibXTE7.png
This discussion has been closed.